The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2019, 04:45 PM   #91
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
All these hey look at what David is doing now posts and updates are getting lame and old. Now that the whole world knows about him along with a revamped website, stronger AD connection than ever, higher prices, and even a physical showroom you could argue this is not the best place to buy a watch anymore.
Old 9 May 2019, 04:48 PM   #92
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Just a shame that they've dubbed over the serial number on the dial shot.

Would love these flippers to get a life time ban.... and or the AD if he has sold it straight on.
Patek Philippe 5168-G (Aquanaut Blue) - Rolex Daytona 116508 Green Dial - Rolex Submariner 116619LB ( Smurf) - Panerai 1116 (Platinum 1 of 70) - Panerai 932 Radiomir 47mm - Panerai 968 Submersible "Bronzo" - NOMOS Glashutte Club 453 Campus - SS Omega Seamaster Orange - Porsche Design GMT - G Shock Solar - Tag F1 Circa 1995 - J W Benson Circa 1950. ( F.PJ. Complication on order 👍🏼)
Old 9 May 2019, 04:48 PM   #93
JLUK
"TRF" Member

For a watch with a decent production run ahead, this is a crazy price.
Old 9 May 2019, 05:01 PM   #94
T-Bag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
I’ll bet Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just got back from Vancouver. Went to the AD right by Burrard and Georgia. They had a Yachtmaster 2. Very nice people though. They helped me find Cardero’s (incredible food).
Old 9 May 2019, 05:15 PM   #95
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
Not just broke people, one of the highest earning guys in my office who is very wealthy yelled loudly “only an idiot would pay £5k for a watch”. I just laughed and I said I’m a major idiot then
Not when they can sell it years later for £10k tell him.
Old 9 May 2019, 06:59 PM   #96
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Ease up on the ballers guys. If you've got the $$ and want the watch, and it doesn't bother the buyer to pay the premium, who cares. Some people forget that there is another element in the equation. That's time. Time to enjoy something. Not everybody is 32 yrs old.
Old 9 May 2019, 07:26 PM   #97
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
I’ve paid a premium before but this smells of throw a price high in the air and see what flies. That’s 258% folks. Only takes 1 cashed up punter to set precedent and we’re away.

In Hong Kong last week the new Jubilee Batman was HK$188,000 when it hit the shelves that’s $US24,000 or close enough. And Pepsi keeps heading north at $HK180,000 (HK$125,000 a few months back)
Old 9 May 2019, 07:30 PM   #98
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUK View Post
For a watch with a decent production run ahead, this is a crazy price.
The ‘early adopter’ phenomenon has cycled its way through history. Economics and illusion meet bid spenders. Nothing to see here.
Old 9 May 2019, 07:34 PM   #99
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
All these hey look at what David is doing now posts and updates are getting lame and old. Now that the whole world knows about him along with a revamped website, stronger AD connection than ever, higher prices, and even a physical showroom you could argue this is not the best place to buy a watch anymore.
Wasn’t there something about perception and reality coinciding with a a guy who has temporarily mastered Miami Rolex spin. Sure David’s a nice enough guy catering to those willing to suspend disbelief.
Old 9 May 2019, 08:24 PM   #100
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusernamez View Post
where are all the Grey market lovers now?

Just one day ago, before he posted these up, the trend was "pay what you want because you won't have to play AD games and you will have immediate joy"

Is the 16K to23K too big of a jump for your wallets all of a sudden?

You, grey buyers, are pretty emotional now that they posting at 23K, just saying. If you can't pay 23K for a watch you shouldn't have purchased it at 16K in the first place. Just Saying.
This makes zero sense.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 9 May 2019, 08:28 PM   #101
nick800
"TRF" Member

I don’t understand why this upsets people
Old 9 May 2019, 08:30 PM   #102
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusernamez View Post
where are all the Grey market lovers now?

Just one day ago, before he posted these up, the trend was "pay what you want because you won't have to play AD games and you will have immediate joy"

Is the 16K to23K too big of a jump for your wallets all of a sudden?

You, grey buyers, are pretty emotional now that they posting at 23K, just saying. If you can't pay 23K for a watch you shouldn't have purchased it at 16K in the first place. Just Saying.
Let the market settle first, lots of rich Insta kids and probably their dads now will pay top dollar to boast early pics of this, but after a few months the price will stabilise and that is when you can gage where you are with your AD and go grey if you don't want to wait years and can afford it.
Old 9 May 2019, 08:32 PM   #103
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Let the market settle first, lots of rich Insta kids and probably their dads now will pay top dollar to boast early pics of this, but after a few months the price will stabilise and that is when you can gage where you are with your AD and go grey if you don't want to wait years and can afford it.
For sure #richkidsofdubai

Always easy when you can spend Daddy's money
Old 9 May 2019, 08:36 PM   #104
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Just like with the Daytona?

Old 9 May 2019, 08:54 PM   #105
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Nice watch, CRAZY premium.
I’m hoping this will help reduce BLRO prices. I will go gray once it drops below 11k. Will take a while or never. I’m a patient man and not crazy enough to pay that much premium
Old 9 May 2019, 09:05 PM   #106
huba01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince KSA View Post
Just a shame that they've dubbed over the serial number on the dial shot.

Would love these flippers to get a life time ban.... and or the AD if he has sold it straight on.
This
Old 9 May 2019, 09:06 PM   #107
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

I can’t understand why people care so much about this. Next there will be a forum to MF Starbucks about the price of a pumpkin spice latte. It’s capitalism folks, we all have options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 May 2019, 09:13 PM   #108
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Dont hate the player, hate the game.
Old 9 May 2019, 09:19 PM   #109
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
Someone gets it for retail, does a quick flip for $19-20k, and David is able to use his reputation to get $23k out of it.

If someone wants something ASAP, they go to David. Just how it is. He always has the hot pieces.
Reputation as always the most expensive on the market. No need for me to pay his pricing.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 9 May 2019, 09:27 PM   #110
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Copy/paste of my response in the other thread on this topic posted yesterday below.

I am all for the free market but this has sort of jumped the shark. I have done business with David. Guy is excellent in all respects, but the crazy prices being used to set markets is making me reevaluate the entire secondary market.

I paid over "retail" for my SD4K, Kermit and 16710 because they were all long discontinued when I bought them - that's fine I knew the market and they weren't making any more. I also paid a small premium (like 1500 bucks over MSRP) on my DeepSea because I really wanted it NOS and first version. I was fine with all of that and the service I got on all those transactions from Trusted Sellers was excellent!

That said, it seems that these crazy asking prices to set the market on new stuff is also dragging all the older stuff higher with it, and just making the whole process of trying to enjoy Rolex collecting a PITA - whether it be still in production pieces or 20 year old references.

I am on the list at the AD for three pieces. Might be three years before I get them, but I think while I wait I am done playing any games in the secondary market until some sense of sanity returns. Which is a shame, because there are still a couple of older references I am interested in. Crazy world right now in this "hobby."
Old 9 May 2019, 09:31 PM   #111
Waxtactic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko 6138-0030
There are a few things that "kill" me about this:

1) That somebody will pay for it without thinking twice of the cost (b/c money probably wont mean much to them at this kind of premium)
2) That somebody, probably on this forum, who has worked hard, saved their cash and would wear this daily has to wait b/c a flipper got to it first

*sigh
Old 9 May 2019, 09:32 PM   #112
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Let’s be honest, that’s what broke people say about those of us who pay retail for Rolex. It’s just perspective.
Precisely.

It's up for more than I could ever justify paying. But if someone can, and does, does that make them stupid, mad or just rich and able?

Maybe, for every suggestion that prospective buyers need a mental health check, there should equally be a call for the poster to get off their arse, work their arse off for twenty years, and become rich enough not to have to think twice about paying "stupid" money for something they really want.

If this watch sells, David has priced it right. If it doesn't he will adjust it.
Old 9 May 2019, 09:33 PM   #113
Waxtactic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
I think while I wait I am done playing any games in the secondary market until some sense of sanity returns. Which is a shame, because there are still a couple of older references I am interested in. Crazy world right now in this "hobby."

This.
Old 9 May 2019, 09:48 PM   #114
kohe321
"TRF" Member

This is the current market value of the watch, so naturally that's the price it's offered at - albeit with the slight premium he can command for being one of the most established and reputable re-sellers out there.

He doesn't run a charity. The market is what it is. I mean, the (admittedly few) people who go "man, I am losing respect" or call him "greedy" are completely off their rockers. What, should he drop the price out of some illusory duty of comradery towards the watch community?

Should some centralized institution of power declare that this price is too high and enforce an artificial roof on Rolex pricing across the market? Destroying freedom while simultaneously not fixing the issue of supply and demand, only pushing the wait list/lottery phenomenon over to the secondary market. Wait list equality for all!

Sorry to pop your little Bolshevik bubble.

He doesn't owe any of us anything. He runs a business and delivers a product at market value in a safe and professional way. That's it.
Old 9 May 2019, 09:49 PM   #115
Rokoru
"TRF" Member

I think this is ridiculous...
Old 9 May 2019, 09:51 PM   #116
Stig722
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV - HULK
David is solid as a brick. If someone wants the piece now he is one of the best options out there
Old 9 May 2019, 09:55 PM   #117
Waxtactic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Precisely.
Maybe, for every suggestion that prospective buyers need a mental health check, there should equally be a call for the poster to get off their arse, work their arse off for twenty years, and become rich enough not to have to think twice about paying "stupid" money for something they really want.

If this watch sells, David has priced it right. If it doesn't he will adjust it.
You're not totally wrong here, those who have ability to pull themselves up should and the market will set the value. Those with the means will pay.

Perhaps I'm just sore b/c somebody lost out on the chance to own one of these b/c a flipper got to it first. No way I could be upset with DavidSW, but the Flipper
Old 9 May 2019, 09:58 PM   #118
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

I am not upset with David. I respect him.

I am not upset with the flipper. I respect him too.

Old 9 May 2019, 10:02 PM   #119
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

It will sell. Crazy times
Old 9 May 2019, 10:04 PM   #120
Lifeisarolliecoaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: This space
This might be a silly thought but what if Rolex drip feeds x amount (a very small amount) of the updated model out to just a few AD’s geographically. They wouldn’t have to buy them from the gray but that would put it beyond dispute. They could then deal with the AD as they see fit. Perhaps the AD’s would subsequently be more diligent. Whoever has flipped this model so quickly IMO is going to give the AD grief
Closed Thread