The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 November 2010, 01:11 PM   #91
BT12

Watch: Rolex Sub 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooder202 View Post
Hey guys, I just recently bought a Datejust Turn o Graph in SS and Rose Gold with a black slate dial. I absolutely love it, BUT, my fiance will not get off my case about how it's too small or "girly looking" because of the rose gold. She's pressuring me into getting rid of it for good (already listed on eBay just to see what I can get) and saying to get either the 41mm Which she really liked, or the Sub-C - which I LOVE but really want a two-tone and the two-tone sub C is a bit out of the price range.

Now I understand you will say "Is is what YOU like" but common, I have to live with this woman after all! Dropping over 5k on a watch isn't helping especially when she doesn't like it! UGHHHHHHH

My original post with pics - http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=152612
Oh man, Wow right out of the gate your off to a bad start. My wife of 11 years would not even dream of asking me something as selfish as this let alone make fun of the something i picked out. If my wife got rid of everything i wanted her to get rid of she would have nothing but a makeup kit and a tooth brush. Oh and probably some sexy lingerie. If i own something that my wife, kids, family, or friends know that i love and get allot of enjoyment from, they would never even dream to ask me to part with it. Grown men don't compromise, procrastinate or negotiate especially with glorified girl friends. If you listed it on Ebay it sounds like you already caved. If you go through with this now you will open the door for all future sales and giveaways of all your present and future loved items. Please PM us your contact info so we have first dips on your next cherished items up for bid.
Old 24 November 2010, 01:19 PM   #92
Sunshine
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by snog View Post
nothing girly about that watch,I'll give her this tho shes good,she has got you to put a watch you love on ebay and at the same time got you thinking it's your idea

tell her you don't like horses and would prefer she takes up the donkey derby instead.

I have to use this as an avatar.. If it offends you please let me know I will remove it.
Old 24 November 2010, 01:21 PM   #93
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
I don't know y'all & wasn't there for the conversation, but this post makes her sound more like a mommy than a loving partner.

When I decided it was time to buy (not shop), I brought my wife along for her opinion; but just to keep me honest. The sales person was actually trying to steer me away to a more common model. (His words: "The barked models are just not that popular" ).

My wife saw that look in my eyes, she knew that was the one and said "I can tell that is the one you like: I'd get it if I were you".

She's not an enabler: I'd been saving a long time. Of course, on the way home she told me she wanted one to match.
Old 24 November 2010, 01:28 PM   #94
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
I have to use this as an avatar.. If it offends you please let me know I will remove it.
enjoy,glad someone gets my sense of humour
Old 24 November 2010, 01:33 PM   #95
BT12

Watch: Rolex Sub 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
I've ridden a Donkey before and I felt like a JackAss!!
Old 24 November 2010, 01:38 PM   #96
Sunshine
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkMaster View Post
I don't know y'all & wasn't there for the conversation, but this post makes her sound more like a mommy than a loving partner.

When I decided it was time to buy (not shop), I brought my wife along for her opinion; but just to keep me honest. The sales person was actually trying to steer me away to a more common model. (His words: "The barked models are just not that popular" ).

My wife saw that look in my eyes, she knew that was the one and said "I can tell that is the one you like: I'd get it if I were you".

She's not an enabler: I'd been saving a long time. Of course, on the way home she told me she wanted one to match.

Are you sure this was your wife and not Raf helping you pick out that Bark???

Bark,Bark,Bark!! I love Bark to.
Old 24 November 2010, 01:42 PM   #97
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
No matter how much my wife hates mt watch, she let's me keep it if I really wanted to.. So I think if you really like your watch, your wife should know that. Why wear something you don't like? Imagine if your wife is in your shoes.. Maybe you should tell her, nicely, emphasise by saying something of hers as an example..

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Old 24 November 2010, 02:11 PM   #98
Shogunmaster

Ya, I think it's time you went to doubleyourdating.com, acquire the Advanced Series (torrent or otherwise) and figure out how the game works. When a girl gives you tests like this, you better know how to answer. Not sure if you should be flipping her or not, but definitely get your game on and see if she's worth keeping.

A woman will never respect a man who won't stick to his decisions or passions.
Old 24 November 2010, 02:19 PM   #99
Trev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 2599.80
Save up and get the TT-sub, since it would please everyone involved ;)

Also, Rolex isn't my favourite brand because my friends or wife like (or even approve of) Rolex. I'm attracted to the elegant designs and history, and that's enough of a reason for me.

If you really like the TT TOG, just keep it and wear it with pride.
Old 24 November 2010, 02:25 PM   #100
Watchman1957
Banned

Watch: 201/A 202/A PreA9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooder202 View Post
Hey guys, I just recently bought a Datejust Turn o Graph in SS and Rose Gold with a black slate dial. I absolutely love it, BUT, my fiance will not get off my case about how it's too small or "girly looking" because of the rose gold. She's pressuring me into getting rid of it for good (already listed on eBay just to see what I can get) and saying to get either the 41mm Which she really liked, or the Sub-C - which I LOVE but really want a two-tone and the two-tone sub C is a bit out of the price range.

Now I understand you will say "Is is what YOU like" but common, I have to live with this woman after all! Dropping over 5k on a watch isn't helping especially when she doesn't like it! UGHHHHHHH

My original post with pics - http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=152612

Oh Man, I wish you a good life with someone like that. She obviously cares what others think just a little too much to give you crap over of all things, a watch.

Sorry but break the engagement and run or squirrel away you cash later because this union is headed for divorce court.
Old 24 November 2010, 02:59 PM   #101
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
If you really don't like it anymore or can honestly see her point of view, then flip it and buy something else. I don't necessarily believe that she is trying to control you. I think that she genuinely wants you to look your best. Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees. I know that you like, but maybe it doesn't look good on you. If you are still unsure, get some other people's opinions (not on TRF ).

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Old 24 November 2010, 05:37 PM   #102
niner niner seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GV
shes right, go manly

16710 116400GV 116710LN 116500LN 116610LV
Old 24 November 2010, 06:55 PM   #103
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarn View Post
I can't add anything to what Dan has said. I agree 100%. This issue has nothing to do with watches and may be a sign of trouble ahead.

incidentally, I've been married for over 26 years.
I think you should sell the watch and any watch or anything she doesn't approve of....your life will then be happy and fulfilled. Just think of it, you needn't make any more difficult decisions ever again. A life filled with her decisions over every aspect of your life, and to think it all started here!
Old 24 November 2010, 06:58 PM   #104
Tek

Watch: ALL
Sale the watch and you sale your soul as well
Old 24 November 2010, 07:07 PM   #105
derekloimer

36mm is a perfectly acceptable watch size. In the Ian Fleming novels Bond wears a Rolex Oyster which in the period would have been a maximum of 36mm and may well have been 34mm.
Old 24 November 2010, 08:52 PM   #106
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdrummer View Post
if you are already having such issues over something as trivial as a watch of a size that you prefer to wear, then i would rethink getting married.

Please don't be offended. You must understand that if you give most women an inch they will take the entire field from you. Don't compromise your beliefs in this life. Whether it be what rolex you prefer to wear or what school you feel is best for your children. Hold the line.

Far too many men give a little and then a little more. That is a recipe for disaster. I just watched my own brother do the same thing for over three years. Give and give and give until he was a shell of his former self. He is now going through a divorce that has been downright brutal, and not because of him. She is doing everything she can to drag things out. He gave so much for so long, that now her ego is bruised that she no longer gets her way.

Hell has no fury like a woman scorned......

Anyway forgive the rant, but do continue to wear your rolex that you prefer to wear. Its really none of her business. Simple as that. Man up, and tell her off on the subject. Its your rolex, its your money and its your wrist is sits on. I dont see where she has any room to really interject on the subject whatsoever at all here.

Compromise is for hostage standoffs and settlements are what we receive in court. Life is more than that. Wear your rolex, tell her to drop it and move on. If she cant do that, then i would seriously consider what she will do to you once your legally tied to her over a car, a house, or how the money is spent, where your children will go to school etc. Think long and hard about this.

People always show us red flags about themselves, whether or not we choose to see them is another matter entirely. She "pressured" you as you put it. She now knows she can walk all over you as a man. She will continue to do so, and eventually lose respect for you in the relationship and then its all downhill from there.

Stand your ground, be a man and hold the line.

Good luck
best advice ever!!!
Old 24 November 2010, 09:01 PM   #107
jdc
"TRF" Member

I'm thinking that you know she is right in the back of your mind as you put it on Ebay straight away, what I cannot understand is why you did not take it back to the store.
Old 24 November 2010, 11:02 PM   #108
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
agree with DWdrummer, dont give an inch otherwise your life will be hell, I belong to the hate my wife club lol
Old 25 November 2010, 12:06 AM   #109
king1412
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
agree with DWdrummer, dont give an inch otherwise your life will be hell, I belong to the hate my wife club lol
You mean "hate my EX-wife club" right?
Old 25 November 2010, 01:52 AM   #110
dooder202
Banned

Watch: DateJust
UPDATE
Well guys, I gave in... After looking at more and more picts of the Sub-C, I just gotta have it! Really love the TT SS but that may be a bit out of price range, but we'll soon see which I decide on!

Today I listed my turn o graph in the for sale section.

Not sure if I am allowed to put a link here, but to be on the safe side I wont. So go check it out!
Old 25 November 2010, 02:32 AM   #111
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
I would keep the one you have and buy a sub or a GMT. Get your fiance to pay for it, even if she needs to get another job to fund it. Wear the larger ones when you go out with her and you wont be a pussy whimp. This way, you will have 2 watches. After the second watch is paid off, find another fiance that will let you enjoy the watches you want to wear.
Old 25 November 2010, 02:34 AM   #112
conrail
"TRF" Member

Well as long as you're doing it because you want the other watch, and not b/c your fiancée forced you out of the one you originally bought, then good decision.
Old 25 November 2010, 02:47 AM   #113
TRW
Banned

Watch: 16623 YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza17 View Post
I would keep the one you have and buy a sub or a GMT. Get your fiance to pay for it, even if she needs to get another job to fund it. Wear the larger ones when you go out with her and you wont be a pussy whimp. This way, you will have 2 watches. After the second watch is paid off, find another fiance that will let you enjoy the watches you want to wear.
Hopefully You don't mean anyone who Wears anything Less than a "Larger" watch is a P**** Whimp.
Old 25 November 2010, 03:13 AM   #114
petethepilot

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Oh my gosh why wouldn't she like it..It's a beautiful watch!! I would keep it and tell her you really like the watch.
Old 25 November 2010, 03:46 AM   #115
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Sell the fiancee, keep the watch.
Old 25 November 2010, 03:49 AM   #116
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by king1412 View Post
"There's nothing more pathetic than a grown man who's afraid of a woman" - Cosmo Kramer

In all seriously though, she is right, a 36mm is too small for a man. It is now a woman's watch. Some women are even wearing 40mm Subs and Daytonas.
Old 25 November 2010, 03:52 AM   #117
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
Dooder, I looked at the ebay listing.....well done, clear and concise. Great pics...the watch looks good on you, with that nice blue stripped long sleeve shirt! You really should think about keeping it! I see you have had 4 offers already. Was wondering what they were, if you don't mind sharing? Always nice to know what folks on eBay are offering for stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Datejust-1...#ht_500wt_1156

Also, I'm somewhat confused, as you listed the watch for sale on eBay on November 19th (http://shop.ebay.com/edb4164/m.html), and as your original post here, "My first Rolex, Pics attached" was posted November 20th one day after you listed the watch for sale on eBay (http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=152612).

(Oh, and in your eBay listing of 11-19, you mention that Rolex increased the MSRP on 11-17. Did Rolex have yet another price increase? I am sooooo out of the loop on these things!!)
I think that's a great looking watch and it doesn't look like a woman's watch at all. I think the OP should keep it, girlfriend be damned.
Old 25 November 2010, 06:13 AM   #118
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

This thread is worthless without pics? (We've seen the watch.)

:-)
Old 25 November 2010, 08:07 AM   #119
Howie
"TRF" Member

Whatever happens, keep the watch, it's metaphoric and imperative.
Old 25 November 2010, 08:14 AM   #120
Dweller of the Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
My wife is welcome to say her opinion about my watches, but I will never let her be in charge of my wrist.
If I like, I´ll wear them.

Ps. my wife hates my rootbeer, so I make sure to wear it on speciel occasions if she has been a pain recently
Closed Thread