The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 February 2024, 08:09 AM   #91
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
MSRP vs realistic market price on most the ROOs are just ridiculously different. 33k after tax on a diver that I can get for 8k cheaper from grey is just crazy when boutique is not offering any discounts. ROO Chronos are $45k after tax on a rubber strap compared to full bracelet RO chornos at 40k. I like the brand I like and would like to own many of their pieces. But I don't see value going to boutique "build" relationship to buy over priced pieces or pieces like code I don't like or want just to be " part of the AP journey". This is not like a 12k Rolex DJ we are talking about. It's at the minimum 30k plus to get in the door is crazy.
Old 2 February 2024, 09:40 AM   #92
Watchguynyc8300
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I was just down there and didn’t even go in because your experience is what I expected.

My wife wanted to look at VCA Alhambra to see what she wanted. Great SA, ended up buying two pieces and we got invited to a watch event in October.

The main difference is they had stock to sell.
VCA has been universally a good experience for me and my wife! They’re generally straightforward and super helpful.
Watchguynyc8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 10:42 AM   #93
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I was just down there and didn’t even go in because your experience is what I expected.

My wife wanted to look at VCA Alhambra to see what she wanted. Great SA, ended up buying two pieces and we got invited to a watch event in October.

The main difference is they had stock to sell.
not always the case. VCA has stock issues too, especially with their vintage alhambra bracelets, and good resell value as a result. a lot of the colors are sold out or backordered and here the bracelets get sold the day they get there, but that's their most popular line and has become unisex now
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 12:46 PM   #94
HurricaneHarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregouille View Post
Haha so cool reading that thread back in 2013. Good old times… Must have been cheap to get a 15202OR.

Reading an old email from a grey dealer in 2017, £33,375 bnib 25% off retail of £44,500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HurricaneHarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 02:00 PM   #95
private jet villain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
You all sound bitter, sorry. You have to pay to play with the one watch company. Price cuts or raises should not influence your decision in buying an AP at retail at all.

It’s going to be hilarious when the game ends and the ADs come crashing down to earth. I say this as someone with multiple Royal Oaks.
private jet villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 04:25 PM   #96
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by private jet villain View Post
It’s going to be hilarious when the game ends and the ADs come crashing down to earth. I say this as someone with multiple Royal Oaks.
Yes, every day we get closer. Can’t wait until SAs have to actually sell these once “hype” pieces.

Even Patek - the auctions today for the pieces that just got discontinued were super underwhelming.
Old 2 February 2024, 05:35 PM   #97
Palex
"TRF" Member

What bitterness in this thread. You sound like victims.
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 07:43 PM   #98
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex View Post
What bitterness in this thread. You sound like victims.

Not everyone gets a Starwheel offered... Some even have to wait / ask / plead for a 11.59
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 08:57 PM   #99
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Not everyone gets a Starwheel offered... Some even have to wait / ask / plead for a 11.59

I het what your saying, but you know what I mean
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 10:43 PM   #100
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Are AP Price Cuts on the Horizon?

They cut the platinum 44 from like 100k to 70k in 2013. One member had recently bought one and wasn’t happy.

AP makes too many watches relative to demand to maintain resale in a down market imho.

It seems to be returning to the way it was when I bought my first AP. You don’t go to boutiques because the watches are readily available elsewhere for much less and we aren’t talking peanuts we are talking 10k+. I realize this doesn’t apply to some people but I’m talking for the people like myself who drive their own cars and fly commercial lol

On the flip side anyone who wanted that RO can easily find one for very close to msrp plus tax now and that’s a beautiful thing as it remains a wonderful watch that every wis should have access to.
Old 2 February 2024, 11:00 PM   #101
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex View Post
I het what your saying, but you know what I mean

Haha I do totally get it.
Tbh I'm not sure what I would have done. It's the CEOs responsibility to maximize profit and the last 4y were ripe for it.

That being said I feel like the entire pendulum is starting to swing... And some of it is the ADs / manufacturers doing... Twice yearly price hikes of 5% or more - or wholesale raises of $25k+ in one swoop (QPs) smells more than greedy...

Now that it's changed, it's a tall task to either reduce prices for things like teh ROOs and annoy existing customers or have to pitch a watch for $47k that retails at $36k on C24...

I understand why some people are annoyed
Old 2 February 2024, 11:10 PM   #102
SRG89
"TRF" Member

At the end of the day, AP can set prices at whatever they want - it’s up to their customer base to decide if they want to buy or not, nobody is forcing anything.
The only thing that royally pisses me off is the fake scarcity around core models such as divers and some ROO’s.
Let’s cut the bullshit if I want one I’m doing the brand a favour in this day and age let’s not play a game where your’e doing me a huge favour and ‘allocating’ me it. This false scarcity crap drives me nuts
SRG89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 12:42 AM   #103
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Ive been as critical as anyone with the AP price increases over the years. But I think we all have to acknowledge that this is a luxury hobby and "losing" 30% walking out with a shiny new watch is honestly the norm. That was true well before the hype, even with many rolex models.
Old 3 February 2024, 08:19 PM   #104
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Yes, every day we get closer. Can’t wait until SAs have to actually sell these once “hype” pieces.

Even Patek - the auctions today for the pieces that just got discontinued were super underwhelming.
Prices are dropping every month quite consistently. I’m excited too. Every time I think about pulling the trigger on a double balance in moda, a new one pops up a bit cheaper lol
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 09:21 PM   #105
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Prices are dropping every month quite consistently. I’m excited too. Every time I think about pulling the trigger on a double balance in moda, a new one pops up a bit cheaper lol
How much are they these days?
l_chissle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 09:54 PM   #106
GK12345EMAIL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ, Rolex, Patek
Can anyone pls recommend a good grey dealer. Looking to get a new 37mm RO pref blue dial.

I don't think the prices on Chrono24 are realistic

I won't chase an AP boutique ever again.
GK12345EMAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 10:33 PM   #107
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL View Post
Can anyone pls recommend a good grey dealer. Looking to get a new 37mm RO pref blue dial.

I don't think the prices on Chrono24 are realistic

I won't chase an AP boutique ever again.

DM me
Old 4 February 2024, 02:49 AM   #108
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_chissle View Post
How much are they these days?
Honestly, one of my favorite references. Particularly since it will imminently be discontinued.

They’re 128k-ish on MODA (brand new, unsized). But frankly, some of those numbers are even pumped up a bit.
Old 4 February 2024, 03:03 AM   #109
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Per Hodinkee, Patek raised prices by 7% across all models. Not sure which pp models specifically, but I doubt AP would lower prices while their aspirational competitor raises theirs the same year.
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 07:19 AM   #110
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know.... I am sitting here frozen. lol.
rappvctrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 05:48 PM   #111
mrhanx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
Per Hodinkee, Patek raised prices by 7% across all models. Not sure which pp models specifically, but I doubt AP would lower prices while their aspirational competitor raises theirs the same year.
Same thoughts, Patek increased 7-9% across all models here in Singapore.
mrhanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 06:06 PM   #112
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honestly, one of my favorite references. Particularly since it will imminently be discontinued.

They’re 128k-ish on MODA (brand new, unsized). But frankly, some of those numbers are even pumped up a bit.
Someone offered me one for closer to 115.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 06:23 PM   #113
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Someone offered me one for closer to 115.
Sounds right. Even Moda is inflated nowadays
Old 6 February 2024, 12:59 AM   #114
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Elephant in the room is that Patek's massive new factory doubles their manufacturing capacity. Supply is going to impact these aftermarket prices so I would expect these grey dealers to move their inventory in the next 12-18 months before they see more price drops.
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 01:31 AM   #115
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
not always the case. VCA has stock issues too, especially with their vintage alhambra bracelets, and good resell value as a result. a lot of the colors are sold out or backordered and here the bracelets get sold the day they get there, but that's their most popular line and has become unisex now
We bought two immediately. One was in the store, other one is in transit and gets here today (in theory).

Was thinking about getting an onyx one for myself to go with my DD40 onyx.

The nice thing is even though they’re “hot pieces” for them, we didn’t have to buy a bunch of other stuff to access, and we aren’t even local to that store.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 04:47 PM   #116
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
Elephant in the room is that Patek's massive new factory doubles their manufacturing capacity. Supply is going to impact these aftermarket prices so I would expect these grey dealers to move their inventory in the next 12-18 months before they see more price drops.
Unfounded rumor. Who said they were increasing manufacturing capacity? Can't it just be more tech to cut their production costs and make them more efficient?
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote