The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 July 2017, 02:08 AM   #91
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay821 View Post
Interesting. Is LA Watchworks authorized to repair by Patek or are they just trusted in general? Curious for my benefit when service time comes
They are not an authorized service center and I don't know what they would do if parts are required.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 02:08 AM   #92
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Which is why every new piece has a wait list

10 year wait for 5524.
People salivating for the "ugly and simple" 5522
Advanced Research selling for double MSRP
Impossible to find 5711

Yeah- they are sure doing crappy and making poor decisions.
The Pilot Travel Time is readily available on the grey market at retail or just a little higher.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 02:12 AM   #93
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The Pilot Travel Time is readily available on the grey market at retail or just a little higher.
as is any other watch out on the market if you are willing to pay the right price.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 02:15 AM   #94
martinr
"TRF" Member

Retail is $47,600 and most reputable sources that actually have the watch with box and papers want $56,000 to $59,000, quite a premium.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 02:16 AM   #95
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the service wait times in Taiwan? I heard it is not bad in HK. Watchmakers in Geneva are busy making new watches, but in the rest of the world, their main focus should be in servicing and repairing existing watches. AFAIK, service time is lowest in Geneva compared to other parts of the world.
I am not sure about Taiwan's service time, the PP I have can only be serviced in Geneva.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 02:25 AM   #96
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Underwhelmed is putting it mildly – the woman doesn’t know the difference between a rose, and a sunflower, a daisy, and whatever that is supposed to be (at 1 o’clock).
She was quick to point out how she transitioned from the commerce side to the creative side…she said, “I do”, and he said, “you’ll do”.
PP should look to bring in an outside creative director. I understand its all about family with them, but I believe there are people out there who could be a much bigger benefit to the company if they were allowed to seriously influence the direction. I find the current offerings with too much bling, font in your face and unnecessary diamonds. The Nautilus design was from an outside designer.
Old 29 July 2017, 02:31 AM   #97
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
In my opinion only a smallish part of their lineup is interesting and those pieces are hard to get or on the high price range. I have been underwhelmed with the newer pieces but do enjoy the older ones eh. 3940, 5035..
I kind of remember the 3940 being very so so all during its production run. With the new blingish offerings, the 3940 has taken on a cult status. Moral of this story if you hold a PP long enough you will do okay.
Old 29 July 2017, 02:40 AM   #98
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Retail is $47,600 and most reputable sources that actually have the watch with box and papers want $56,000 to $59,000, quite a premium.
Must be what he calls "retail or a little higher", "little" being subject to interpretation
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 02:55 AM   #99
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
PP should look to bring in an outside creative director. I understand its all about family with them, but I believe there are people out there who could be a much bigger benefit to the company if they were allowed to seriously influence the direction. I find the current offerings with too much bling, font in your face and unnecessary diamonds. The Nautilus design was from an outside designer.
This would make sense if they stopped producing all other watches other than the ones with diamonds which they have not.

They are simply giving people choices to expand their market. You may hate the diamonds, others may love it. You each have a model that you can choose from.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 03:08 AM   #100
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Unfortunately, very few PP keep their value anymore. But they are still far better on resale than anything else except Rolex steel.
Lost on every steel Rolex I sold, but yes except a very few examples, Patek doesn't hold value like before, even if it is nowhere close to value loss of other brands. I don't mind long service times as I have a few, but I would be really pissed if my watch came back scratched after a service like Martin, I would be crazy...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 11:15 AM   #101
soundserious
"TRF" Member

As much as I love my Patek's, AP service is a different level entirely. It makes Rolex and Patek seem silly frankly. The attention to detail and responsiveness is astounding.
Old 29 July 2017, 08:53 PM   #102
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
There is an element of truth no doubt. But for me, after owning countless other brands, the only watches I own now are Pateks. Knock on wood, I never had a single issue with any of my pateks and they have worked without any problems maintaining amazing accuracy and functionality.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 11:56 PM   #103
starbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS
I think Patek is a great brand, and I own several, including 5711 and 5167. Nevertheless, I think the Watch Snob is on to something. The new LE pilot watch is a case in point. All the discussion in that thread was about investment value, scarcity, etc. Hardly a word about how PP had done anything to make their pilot watch distinctive, unless you want to count a few comments about the "8" being slightly out of place. With a little creativity PP could have added a slightly different design, or an enhanced PR, or a dash of color- something, anything, other than "me, too, with a PP label and corresponding price."
starbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2017, 01:11 AM   #104
stolpioni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploradori View Post
I completely agree. Patek is definitely not what it was before. Looking at design, QC, service time, and the nefarious money-grab they want to pull with their pricing, I have decided my next watch from the holy trinity will be an AP or VC.

The Thierry era is not great. I was even underwhelmed with this interview to Patek's creative director (Thierry's wife):

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/sa...ctor-interview
Are AP watches even good quality nowadays? I am mostly referring to their dress watches. I have been hearing constantly that they aren't in the same realm as Patek, ALS or even Breguet.
stolpioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 08:29 PM   #105
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Is it just me who is noticing much less quality complaints on PPs theses days?

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 08:35 PM   #106
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
there were a lot on the forum about a year ago, not much since.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 11:43 PM   #107
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree, not many complaints nowadays. Think the 4 month or so wait time for service is now ingrained into people's schedule. So guess Patek simply had to get customers accustom to those wait times for service i guess.

It may also be due to those, such as myself, who found more durable / desirable mechanical timepieces so we moved on to other brands. There are so many new, and far more innovative, mechanical timepieces than Patek, which is 'old-school' to some. It's interesting to see a few rappers wearing blinging out Pateks tho. Adds to the typical APs, and of course the always-present blinged Rolex Day-Date on stage / camera.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:59 AM   #108
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Nothing that Patek has created remotely resembles Hublot, AP or RM. IS this based because they make 42 mm watches?? AP has plenty of 44. So does Hublot. RM makes massive pieces.

Their watches look nothing like the other guys and while their dial designs on a FEW SELECT PIECES are a bit more modern, of the over 200 watches they fabricate, there are plenty of smaller 39mm traditional dials.

Some of these comments are bordering on paranoia.
correct but the patek pilots look like IWC or zenith. i think an interesting turn this thread could take is whether or not we like the new patek design clues, like 5524, 5168, 5960G etc
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 01:31 AM   #109
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
correct but the patek pilots look like IWC or zenith. i think an interesting turn this thread could take is whether or not we like the new patek design clues, like 5524, 5168, 5960G etc
rather than those craps from AP , what s next a ROO in pink with Barbie face on the dial ?

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 15 January 2018, 02:08 AM   #110
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
A lot less Patek basing in general.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 02:11 AM   #111
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
Quality wise, the 5524 is on a different level, and yes I do like the new design cues.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 02:57 AM   #112
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Quality wise, the 5524 is on a different level, and yes I do like the new design cues.
it is. I tried on a Zenith pilot for fun last week with my 5524G. No comparison, not even close. I owned a IWC big pilot, no contest there either.
Old 15 January 2018, 03:01 AM   #113
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I think there’s less action in here in general. Maybe I’m just confusing it with the calm before the Basel storm but seems quiet in here.
Old 15 January 2018, 03:51 AM   #114
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I think there’s less action in here in general. Maybe I’m just confusing it with the calm before the Basel storm but seems quiet in here.
Less member participation: socaltoaz, lapince, Karl, martinr, incontrol, hairdude, myself, thomaspp, jorge, etc.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:07 AM   #115
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
A lot less Patek basing in general.
And a lot less members here too , but seriously I noted this too, brand's star has been on the rise, within this forum and without.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:38 AM   #116
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Less member participation: socaltoaz, lapince, Karl, martinr, incontrol, hairdude, myself, thomaspp, jorge, etc.
Yeah I can tell.

I figure Basel will give people something to talk about. Anyone heard from arnaud?
Old 15 January 2018, 04:59 AM   #117
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Debbie Downer. Now i need a drink and to pour some out for the ones we lost and the ones who disappeared.
Old 15 January 2018, 05:04 AM   #118
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
debbie downer. Now i need a drink and to pour some out for the ones we lost and the ones who disappeared.
lol!

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 05:15 AM   #119
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
possibly true for the 5524 (which i sort of like, still not sure though whether i would not prefer an IWC pilot. i fell off my shopping list though). however i find the 5522 and the 5960G highly questionable.
5522 is really like IWC/zenith and 5060G....hmmmm.... the vintage trend well represented with the 5320G though. that is a cool watch with a daring design compared to the other PCs.
very high on my list.
5170P: love it in spite of the diamonds, on my list (when the price drops)
in a way the 6006G is also part of pateks new design language (although it can be considered an evolution of the 6000G). i like it a lot!!! modern and young!
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 06:09 AM   #120
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Yeah I can tell.

I figure Basel will give people something to talk about. Anyone heard from arnaud?
i ve seen him at the AP forum yesterday

---------------------

IG @passionata1