The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which one you Take home ?
15703ST 39 42.86%
5167A 52 57.14%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 August 2014, 10:55 AM   #91
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Ben, I am quoting you from another thread just because I want to be sure that I don't end up with the "Panerai Effect". Let me explain you, what is for me this Phenomenon "Killer looks, wears big, you adore 1st but after awhile you begin to feel that watch is becoming boring and the big case that you were putting with it mainly because you were on your honeymoon phase , now begins to bother you to the point that you firmly believe that is too big and uncomfortable ; then little wrist time ; then you sell it "

Note : I just to own PAM 372 and PAM 320
Let me clarify. In my the other thread, the OP was asking if the Diver was suitable to be used as a daily. In this context, NO. The Diver is a big and rather heavy watch, tough but not comfy as to wear say from morning till evening and then continuously for a few days. It's oversize case also mean it won't fit inside shirt sleeve if one wears suits or long sleeve to work as required in some office environment. To me at least but some people don't mind, everyone's wrist is different. In your situation, if I read you correctly, you want a sports watch for sports activity, one that you can take swimming, to the seas, to the outdoors and presumably one that look cool ( at least to yourself ). In that case, the Diver is the right watch. But if you plan on using it daily for really everyday activity like going to work etc.. I think a Rolex ( you have a Green Sub right? ) is a more suitable watch.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 11:05 AM   #92
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Let me clarify. In my the other thread, the OP was asking if the Diver was suitable to be used as a daily. In this context, NO. The Diver is a big and rather heavy watch, tough but not comfy as to wear say from morning till evening and then continuously for a few days. It's oversize case also mean it won't fit inside shirt sleeve if one wears suits or long sleeve to work as required in some office environment. To me at least but some people don't mind, everyone's wrist is different. In your situation, if I read you correctly, you want a sports watch for sports activity, one that you can take swimming, to the seas, to the outdoors and presumably one that look cool ( at least to yourself ). In that case, the Diver is the right watch. But if you plan on using it daily for really everyday activity like going to work etc.. I think a Rolex ( you have a Green Sub right? ) is a more suitable watch.
Ok, yes you read correctly. For daily wear I use my Pateks to the office and occasionally the Green Sub. So the Idea is end up with 2 choices for daily wear and 2 choices for sport Activities. Currently I have just one choice for sport activities.
I would try to find a way to strap one before deciding though .
Thanks Ben

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 11:41 AM   #93
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Jorge if you are comfortable with the size and heft of the diver then I say go for it. Frankly, I want one but am no longer willing to wear watches that heavy. I'd have my wallet out if AP decided to make a diver/44 RG/ceramic diver in a Rolex sub sized package. It would easily be a new favorite for me.

And I do mean heavy, my wrist is flat and 7.5 so I can carry it easily as I'm 6'4''!

Sadly I don't see this happening so ill likely add a RO, but there are other pieces in front on the list.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 12:21 PM   #94
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
It really has presence

Attachment 527476
Bigtime!
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 07:49 PM   #95
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I hear you, I know that Rolex is watch of choice for rougher activities (rugged). And me stubborn, started with this crazy hunt of trying to find a AP/PP that gets closer to a Rolex. I know that inevitably all will fall short, but trying to find the closer choice has been hard. I think today (any different opinions are welcome) that the AP diver is the closest. I got a little pump, because I I found the closest, but then I starting doubting if the diver is good for me (specially because the Panerai effect that I described above).
So will see....... Either A) I go ahead and pull the trigger for the Diver or B) live happy with my 3.
Your choice of the ROC is a good one but more like a daily wear than a Real Sport Watch.
Thanks
Good points and as you want a clear sports watch then the Diver is certainly the right choice, and size should not be a big issue then because a sports watch should be substantial, large and muscular, this is what AP does so well. So if you still want a pure sports watch next year then this is the one.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 11:25 PM   #96
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Good points and as you want a clear sports watch then the Diver is certainly the right choice, and size should not be a big issue then because a sports watch should be substantial, large and muscular, this is what AP does so well. So if you still want a pure sports watch next year then this is the one.
I'm going to play devils advocate a bit and say that if you are engaging in any sort of activity, less weight is better. Consider running shoes, backpacks, road bikes. Weight is typically the enemy.

But I do understand the preeminent style sports watches have taken on, and I envy those comfortable wearing them. Some real beauties being put out in the ROO line
Old 27 August 2014, 12:23 AM   #97
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Jorge if you are comfortable with the size and heft of the diver then I say go for it. Frankly, I want one but am no longer willing to wear watches that heavy. I'd have my wallet out if AP decided to make a diver/44 RG/ceramic diver in a Rolex sub sized package. It would easily be a new favorite for me.

And I do mean heavy, my wrist is flat and 7.5 so I can carry it easily as I'm 6'4''!

Sadly I don't see this happening so ill likely add a RO, but there are other pieces in front on the list.
I think i would be ok with the size , love the presence. My dailies would remain the same 5205R + 5712R, but the Hulk will have less wrist time if i buy it.

Quote:
I think I did a good job with the 3 watches I have because frankly is hard to justify any other watch to be added (for me). Don't want my dailies to have less wrist time, the sub do his job just fine but I am more willing to share the sub wrist time than the dailies. And that's why I had to ditch the Aquanaut because is more a daily than sport (at least in my mind).
I took this drastic decision of 3 watches in June, so yeah I have to give it at least 6 months..........

I am inspired to write 3 personal conclusions with watches:
1) If you want classy, distinctive buy a Patek
2) If you want substantial, presence buy AP
3) If you want a Chrono, a real Chrono it better be a Datograph up/down

Quote:
I'm going to play devils advocate a bit and say that if you are engaging in any sort of activity, less weight is better. Consider running shoes, backpacks, road bikes. Weight is typically the enemy.

But I do understand the preeminent style sports watches have taken on, and I envy those comfortable wearing them. Some real beauties being put out in the ROO line
I would agree with you if I wouldn't have hulk, because I can grab the Hulk for road bikes (actually I do), running, etc. But I would grab the AP Diver the swimming pool, fishing, Vacation, etc. I think is nice have 2 options.
Now I am gonna play the devils advocate with me. Isn't it true that I can do all that with the Hulk alone ? hell yeah! so then I really don't need the AP, right ? probably not. Ok, now that being said, the Final conclusion is this: I need to answer the following question at the end year "Jorge do you want a buy that extra Sport watch just for the fun to have an alternative to the Hulk ?" will see what I respond when the moment of true comes................

Albert Einstein
Old 27 August 2014, 02:12 AM   #98
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I hear you Tom, and makes perfect sense, but for me a dress or sporty dress watch ought to really be slim and light and elegant, so the purer sports watches should have more presence and weight, within your comfortable limits, so you have a bit of distinction and variety in your collection.
Old 27 August 2014, 02:15 AM   #99
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I hear you Tom, and makes perfect sense, but for me a dress or sporty dress watch ought to really be slim and light and elegant, so the purer sports watches should have more presence and weight, within your comfortable limits, so you have a bit of distinction and variety in your collection.

Sounds reasonable
Old 27 August 2014, 02:32 AM   #100
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
for your consideration/temptation:)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acme-5 copy.jpg (63.5 KB, 188 views)
Old 27 August 2014, 04:01 AM   #101
2muchtimeonmyhands
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Now that you point it out, and went and navigate a little more on the subject and found this link :

http://www.watchcollectinglifestyle....-ceramic-diver

Attachment 527357

Basically what it says is that the ceramic watch is a watch that is better appreciated in person, unfortunately there is no AP dealer in my area (the closer is probably Cincinnati) Also says that the Ceramic is the only AP diver with a caseback that shows movement, That's a plus but I guess it needs to be seen in person and determine if it really worth the extra 5 k for that watch.
Also is also true that I am able to see the Genta backbone more so on the SS that in the Ceramic (even though is the same bezel shape but the black hide it more)
Will see............
Some fantastic photos in that article, that completely changed my opinion of the ceramic diver, its a beauty.
But.. being a proponent of your 3 watch theory, I don't need one

You previously described a potential 4th watch as a 'fun' watch that might become a permanent fixture. I can't think of anything more fun than a piece that could only be used for sports. You could always get one and then 'trial' it with an option to sell later, that doesn't seem to be straying too far from the original intention.

Hows that for enabling?
2muchtimeonmyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2014, 04:15 AM   #102
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchtimeonmyhands View Post
Some fantastic photos in that article, that completely changed my opinion of the ceramic diver, its a beauty.
But.. being a proponent of your 3 watch theory, I don't need one

You previously described a potential 4th watch as a 'fun' watch that might become a permanent fixture. I can't think of anything more fun than a piece that could only be used for sports. You could always get one and then 'trial' it with an option to sell later, that doesn't seem to be straying too far from the original intention.

Hows that for enabling?
You are not helping.......
Not so long ago I was sold on the Aquanaut, (2nd time I try to buy one) But the Aquanaut it's an extra daily (I already have 2 Dailies) so now I think the AP should fit better (I just have 1 real sport watch)
So I am gonna give it some time, before deciding. Don't want pull the trigger and regret it....but if the itch sticks then I'll proceed.
Cheers !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albert Einstein
Old 27 August 2014, 07:23 AM   #103
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You are not helping.......
Not so long ago I was sold on the Aquanaut, (2nd time I try to buy one) But the Aquanaut it's an extra daily (I already have 2 Dailies) so now I think the AP should fit better (I just have 1 real sport watch)
So I am gonna give it some time, before deciding. Don't want pull the trigger and regret it....but if the itch sticks then I'll proceed.
Cheers !

Just don't sell the 5712r, tried it on today and it was stunning, so planning on getting that next year as per our clever 4-6 month waiting period.
Old 27 August 2014, 08:10 AM   #104
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just don't sell the 5712r, tried it on today and it was stunning, so planning on getting that next year as per our clever 4-6 month waiting period.
I won't , true I have a bad history of being impulsive with watches. But a benefit of owning all those watches on the past(Gotta have at least that, after all that loss of money) is that it gives me a better perspective of what I like and pounder every decision before doing anything. The "old Jorge" probably would of bought the Aquanaut and sold it ( lose money ) and bought the AP diver after (hoping that was right). So here I am again thinking that this time I got it right. But I know me better, so again if a prudential time has elapsed and I still feel the same way, then I know is the right call.

And yes the 5712R is amazing, a mix of elegance+sporty. So I really hope you get it, and i think also that digesting the idea on an specified amount of time is the right call. You save yourself regrets and save tons of $$$$$

Albert Einstein
Old 29 August 2014, 10:38 AM   #105
benlee
"TRF" Member

So have you decided yet Jorge?

Some more enabling pic for your consideration.

Old 29 August 2014, 11:00 AM   #106
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So have you decided yet Jorge?

Some more enabling pic for your consideration.

Now I see what they mean about your enabling ! Lol
Yes and No. Meaning, I truly Think that for my collection the only watch that fits is the AP diver in SS. So there is no completion, is either that or nothing. And that really helps with my mind. I am not pondering advantages of this vs that and so for. So the only adversary is time, if after a prudential time (trying to give me at least to end of year) I still feel like today then it will be my 4th watch for sure. But if I feel like "it's ok but not crazy about it", then I will pass. I been in this position before and I know is smarter to wait. I remember when I bought my APRO 15300, a moderator of another forum advise me to buy it on a post,10 min later I bought it ! Crazy. Nope never again, if it is for me it will be there for me in a few months. Hopefully I don't swallow my own words and end up buying it next month
Wish me luck !

Albert Einstein
Old 29 August 2014, 11:59 AM   #107
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now I see what they mean about your enabling ! Lol
Yes and No. Meaning, I truly Think that for my collection the only watch that fits is the AP diver in SS. So there is no completion, is either that or nothing. And that really helps with my mind. I am not pondering advantages of this vs that and so for. So the only adversary is time, if after a prudential time (trying to give me at least to end of year) I still feel like today then it will be my 4th watch for sure. But I feel like "it's ok but not crazy about it", then I will pass. I been in this position before and I know is smarter to wait. I remember when I bought my APRO 15300, a moderator of another forum advise me to buy it on a post,10 min later I bought it ! Crazy. Nope never again, if it is for me it will be there for me in a few months. Hopefully I don't swallow my own words and end up buying it next month
Wish me luck !

Yes, you definitely should not impulse buy. That's a sure way to get buyer's remorse later, not to mention a potential loss when you flip it. The watch has to sing to you, irregardless of my enabling pics. By the way, have you tried it on in person? The AP Diver is my first ever watch that I bought without ever trying on. Luckily no regrets since.
Old 29 August 2014, 12:27 PM   #108
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Quote:
Yes, you definitely should not impulse buy. That's a sure way to get buyer's remorse later, not to mention a potential loss when you flip it. The watch has to sing to you, irregardless of my enabling pics. By the way, have you tried it on in person? The AP Diver is my first ever watch that I bought without ever trying on. Luckily no regrets since.
No never. One more reason to be cautious
Is also true that there are bunch of watches that I bought without trying them first. Perfect example is my 5205R. And I love it !!

Albert Einstein
Old 29 August 2014, 12:59 PM   #109
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No never. One more reason to be cautious
Is also true that there are bunch of watches that I bought without trying them first. Perfect example is my 5205R. And I love it !!
PP watches are designed to fit so comfortably that there isn't any need for trying. But the Diver with it's oversize case might sometimes might not sit very comfortably depending on the individual. Besides you need to see it in real life to convince yourself. Most photos don't do it justice.
Old 29 August 2014, 07:23 PM   #110
ash20
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Thanks for the thread, Jorge and to those who've posted great pics of these two beautiful watches. I've actually been debating the addition of one of the two, as well. Although, my daily watches are no where near the epic choice you have and I'm fully on board with the reduced watch rotation I commend you as it's easier said than done

With the choices you have on your 'daily" I can definitely understand wanting some variety with the "sports" watch, as well. I think the Hulk and AP Diver are an excellent pair giving you flexibility to match the occasion--whether it be matching what you are wearing or to match the level of ruggedness required. I tried the AP Diver for the first time a month ago and was blown away! Sporty with an elegant refinement that is unmatched IMHO. The rubber band adds to the versatility, as well.

My DSSD is holding on by a thread, at this point...
ash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2014, 09:21 PM   #111
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PP watches are designed to fit so comfortably that there isn't any need for trying. But the Diver with it's oversize case might sometimes might not sit very comfortably depending on the individual. Besides you need to see it in real life to convince yourself. Most photos don't do it justice.
I think you are right, I need to plan a road trip to Cincinnati

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash20 View Post
Thanks for the thread, Jorge and to those who've posted great pics of these two beautiful watches. I've actually been debating the addition of one of the two, as well. Although, my daily watches are no where near the epic choice you have and I'm fully on board with the reduced watch rotation I commend you as it's easier said than done

With the choices you have on your 'daily" I can definitely understand wanting some variety with the "sports" watch, as well. I think the Hulk and AP Diver are an excellent pair giving you flexibility to match the occasion--whether it be matching what you are wearing or to match the level of ruggedness required. I tried the AP Diver for the first time a month ago and was blown away! Sporty with an elegant refinement that is unmatched IMHO. The rubber band adds to the versatility, as well.

Thanks for your comments , someday I feel is an unnecessary addition(because I already have a diver) and some other days I feel like " I have to do it " Both are divers but one follows the Genta tradition with a lot of presence on the wrist and the other one is a classic versatility Rolex with a twist of uniqueness with that beautiful green dial.
So time will tell.........

Albert Einstein
Old 29 August 2014, 09:25 PM   #112
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash20 View Post

I had a DSSD and Diver and much preferred the more refined and yet muscular Diver so I would heartily recommend you go for it, esp as you have two other formidable Rolexes as well.
Old 29 August 2014, 11:53 PM   #113
ash20
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
I had a DSSD and Diver and much preferred the more refined and yet muscular Diver so I would heartily recommend you go for it, esp as you have two other formidable Rolexes as well.
Good input--thank you. One step closer to the door for the DSSD. I'll start another thread to ask for some input on my consolidation ideas. Admittedly I'm all over the board but I really want to add an AP.
ash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2014, 12:35 AM   #114
scuba77
"TRF" Member

I currently have 15400 and 5167a , def the 5167....
Although I do appear to going off ap brand for some reason ...
scuba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2014, 02:08 AM   #115
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba77 View Post
I currently have 15400 and 5167a , def the 5167....

Although I do appear to going off ap brand for some reason ...

I agree, I like better the Aquanaut as a daily wear than the 15400. The intention of use is a big factor IMHO . And for me the intension of use are basically 2: your either A) use it like a Daily or be like a Real Sport watch for rougher situations.
Cheers !!

Albert Einstein
Old 30 August 2014, 02:38 AM   #116
scuba77
"TRF" Member

Not that treat any watch roughly , I just picked up sub LV for that very reason
scuba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2014, 06:11 AM   #117
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba77 View Post
Not that treat any watch roughly , I just picked up sub LV for that very reason
Maybe we should say "Activity watch" instead of rough or beater; it sounds better.

Albert Einstein
Old 30 August 2014, 06:20 AM   #118
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe we should say "Activity watch" instead of rough or beater; it sounds better.

Jorge : keeping trf politically correct since 2013.
Old 30 August 2014, 06:36 AM   #119
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Jorge : keeping trf politically correct since 2013.

All you can do is try

Albert Einstein
Old 31 August 2014, 04:14 PM   #120
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Well the original idea or itch took place because I felt that I needed to have 2 choices on the Vacation/Beater department. Although I should change the Heading to Vacation/Weekend choice. So I could have an alternative to the Rolex for the less rough situations. I already have 2 choices for the Dress/Casual department: 5205R and 5712R. On that rationale it might make sense more to add the Sportier choice: the Diver. Although as soon as I type the word "Diver" I start to see redundancy as well.
I feel trapped !

If you want a second beater I personally would get either Rolex BLNR, not a sub but still a Rolex, been swimming with mine since 10 days in Thailand, since I don't go more than 10 feet under the water the WR on it is just fine, the only thing is the PCL's, am thinking if ever I decide to keep it, will depend on getting the RO or not, to put a sub bracelet which seems possible, or to get it brushed, I also don't like PCL's on a sport watch, or would get a sub c no date, those are beaters, the PP not really, the AP maybe, except I won't mind getting a scratch or bump on a 10K watch, whereas on a 20K+ it would seriously bother me.

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote