The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2023, 07:35 PM   #91
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

incredible sad however you are very lucky nothing really bad happened, could have been much worse.

glad that you are safe after all.
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 08:22 PM   #92
rolex_pl85
Banned

For high value items I never sell at home.

For a car I will meet them at my mechanics shop, for a watch at a watchmaker, bank or police station.

I hate ppl coming to my home and knowing what I have there whether it be an expensive car, watch or something else they may have eye'd whilst they are there.

I only ever sell small items at home <$1000 and only do it in the garage. I never let any strangers in my house.
rolex_pl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 08:27 PM   #93
4 Aussies

Watch: Blue Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Wow. Glad you and the watch are OK.

Secondly has anyone actually used a police station to conduct a transaction, where I come from they don't really like being a platform for a retail transaction.
The municipalities in my area promote using their Police Department lobbies for safe transactions. There are many horror stories involving Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace transactions resulting in homicides. I'm affiliated with the department in my city, and we look at it as a necessity to protect our citizens from potential wrongdoing. How unfortunate for other cities that frown upon providing a safe and monitored environment for their own residents.
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 08:50 PM   #94
Gazoak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I don't know of a police station or bank in the UK where this is allowed.
Even your local pub is a better proposition than your home!
Gazoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 09:00 PM   #95
Hems
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710
Sorry to hear about your experience. I don't personally encourage selling at home, I don't let a buyer know my home, that was a mistake I'd say. Glad you were not hurt physically.
Hems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 09:14 PM   #96
Soultime
"TRF" Member

OP
Get a Ring (or similar) Cctv setup asap.
They are not expensive but very good. Currently on offer at a well known online seller.

I had an armed robbery in 2007 at home, by a gang at 3am - when they got cars and jewellery.
I sold the house, but never slept well for years.

I then got Ring cameras covering the front door and outside. They dont cost much. But I have them set up to alert me in the night if there is ever a person detected outside between 11pm and 5am. It works really, really well.

In addition, I sometimes see undesirable doorstep sales people etc look at the camera and walk away as they dont want to be recorded.

Good luck.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 09:30 PM   #97
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Glad nothing happened to you. It could have turned out differently.
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 09:34 PM   #98
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Never at home, however it went well ....
Old 11 July 2023, 10:36 PM   #99
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
The watches are out of the house for the time being. The door front is being barricaded at night when I sleep, I know it won't stop them but it may slow them down and may give me time to escape and try get help.
They likely will not come back but I would be more concerned about an ambush entering/leaving the property. I know a lady who owns a restaurant, her husband passed, so it's just her, and she was ambushed by employees in masks who knew she took the cash home at night. She opened her garage door, drove in, they rushed in and beat her really bad.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 10:38 PM   #100
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
This scam could have worked well anywhere IMO. If you trust the money was wired with no actual confirmation and you let the watch go, your done and been had, no matter where you are.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 10:56 PM   #101
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoak View Post
Even your local pub is a better proposition than your home!
This is not the worst idea. If you cannot use a police office or a police office parking lot, pick a place with people and security cameras, and don't go alone. OP, I'm relieved that this turned out to be no more than lesson learned for you.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 10:57 PM   #102
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I don't know of a police station or bank in the UK where this is allowed.
Don’t even know where my nearest police station is they’ve all been closed…
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 11:00 PM   #103
rolexgs
Banned

invite two strangers into your house to sell a watch, are you out of your beautiful mind?
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 11:27 PM   #104
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
As ex law enforcement with combat training I have never had a fear of selling anything from my home. And we would have never permitted a private commercial transaction to be conducted on government property.
Old 12 July 2023, 12:03 AM   #105
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I commented earlier about researching FB buyers and making sure they don't have a new account. In FL when I have sold furniture, I ask for their real name as I have to give it to the gate who will check ID. I think that helps weed out bad folks. If I were selling a watch, I would demand a picture of their driver's license before agreeing to meet, and check out their name, address, etc. I would also tell them that I will take their picture before selling the watch. I think that might scare off many of those scammers. You can't be too vigilant these days, unfortunately.
Old 12 July 2023, 02:19 AM   #106
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
The thread is chilling, but I'm glad the OP is OK and came out of it OK, financially anyway.

I've done lots of selling from my house, no issues. FTF Rolex sale was done once at the buyer's business, also no problems. But I researched him first.

Most people are honest. It's the 1% criminals that ruin it for the rest of us.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 02:33 AM   #107
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchsama View Post
FB Market and at home... Yikes...
Amateur hour, how many theft threads have we read that start of with, "Had my watch listed on FB marketplace...."

FB marketplace is a scammers delight, I wouldn't sell a pair of socks on there. At least he was smart enough to grab the watch back quickly.
doublevanose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 03:17 AM   #108
emtee
"TRF" Member

I think we must be a lot more trusting in the UK based on the fact most of the comments saying you must be mad to sell from your home are from US members.

We’ve sold loads of our old baby gear recently (prams, cots, bouncers etc) via FB and the buyers have come here to collect although to be fair we’ve handed them over on the doorstep and I’ve always made sure I’m home and not left the Mrs to do it on her own.

I have in the past sold both watches and cars from home and the buyers have come inside but I had spoken to them on the phone before and was reasonably confident they weren’t dodgy.

And also like others have said conducting private sales in banks and police stations isn’t really a thing in the UK that I’m aware of, it’s certainly not a service they advertise.

Glad you are OK though OP and got those scumbags out of your house, there were a lot travellers near where I grew up and I know how aggressive and intimidating they can be (although they are not all bad)
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:10 AM   #109
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
I think we must be a lot more trusting in the UK based on the fact most of the comments saying you must be mad to sell from your home are from US members.

We’ve sold loads of our old baby gear recently (prams, cots, bouncers etc) via FB and the buyers have come here to collect although to be fair we’ve handed them over on the doorstep and I’ve always made sure I’m home and not left the Mrs to do it on her own.

I have in the past sold both watches and cars from home and the buyers have come inside but I had spoken to them on the phone before and was reasonably confident they weren’t dodgy.

And also like others have said conducting private sales in banks and police stations isn’t really a thing in the UK that I’m aware of, it’s certainly not a service they advertise.

Glad you are OK though OP and got those scumbags out of your house, there were a lot travellers near where I grew up and I know how aggressive and intimidating they can be (although they are not all bad)
That's what I tried to say, our culture is different, we sell things from our homes. I've always bought used things from peoples homes, whether a guitar or a car or a watch or anything, and I've always sold things I own from my home, anything. That is what we do here in the UK. I'm not mad or daft, I was just doing the done thing.

If I was to say to an older wiser person that I was going to buy an expensive watch from a stranger, they would likely tell me 'make sure you go to the sellers house', 'dont buy it off the street or in a car park'.
Transacting in banks and police stations is simply not a thing, you'd be asked to leave.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:26 AM   #110
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Meet in lobby of police station!
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 05:05 AM   #111
Noobftw
"TRF" Member

someone yesterday tried to buy my Omega Moonwatch without haggling, asked for my bank details and email address so that he can bank transfer, and I blocked him.

plenty scammers on FBMP so stay viligant. if the profile looks dodgy, think again doing business with the man.
Noobftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 05:20 AM   #112
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
That's what I tried to say, our culture is different, we sell things from our homes. I've always bought used things from peoples homes, whether a guitar or a car or a watch or anything, and I've always sold things I own from my home, anything. That is what we do here in the UK.
Agreed, in the US these people would of showed up armed and taken everything.
doublevanose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 06:01 AM   #113
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
I'm terribly sorry you had to go through this. It is a very common scam here and the m.o. particular to a certain social group.
I'm however glad to hear you are safe and sincerely wish you remain so.
In light of this unfortunate incident, I would move valuables (as you did) tighten up security by installing an alarm system, connected to a message center (if not already installed) and insure home and contents (if not already done so). All these precautions are not really costly and will afford you peace of mind.
Old 12 July 2023, 06:29 AM   #114
knighty88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I love how there’s 4 pages to this thread giving advice to the OP of ‘never sell from home’… such helpful insight after the fact.

OP - sorry this happened to you, and that society has run down so badly that the culprits even attempted this in the first place.

Thank you for sharing your story to raise awareness and potentially help others from the same ordeal in the future. If you help just one person, it was worth sharing your story.
knighty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 06:47 AM   #115
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
Don’t even know where my nearest police station is they’ve all been closed…
Actually, now you come to mention it, that's a good point. I couldn't tell you where mine is either. The one that used to be in my nearest town closed years ago.

Also, 66.6% of the banks in my nearest town have closed down this year. We're on a hat trick.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 07:12 AM   #116
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Close that bank account
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 02:40 PM   #117
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing your horror story, OP, and raising awareness.

I'm glad you stood your ground AND didn't come to harm!

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:52 PM   #118
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Hi OP I didn’t read all the responses, no doubt many of them are “Monday morning quarterbacking” what you could have done better/safer/differently. No matter what, you have every right to feel safe in your home and I’m truly sorry your sanctuary was violated by a couple dirtbags. Glad you made it out safely and just want to wish you the best moving forward.

Thank you for sharing your story as a tale of caution for everyone.
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 05:16 PM   #119
Steve Epps
"TRF" Member

When you realized he was a gypsy, that should have been enough
for you to end any further back and forth.
Steve Epps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 06:17 PM   #120
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Scary, glad you are OK and managed it well

This story only confirms my already strong opinion never to do any kind of business with private persons.