The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 September 2021, 01:39 AM   #91
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

At the end of the day all of these things are just toys and are actually meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I have been selling off most of my luxury possessions over the past 2 years. Don't get me wrong, this isn't because I feel bad for having nice things. I simply am getting rid of the things that are not important to me. I still buy luxury items but I have noticed that I do stop and think "Why am I buying this" now before I buy it. That has stopped 90% of my new purchases. It is kind of freeing in a way.

I definitely think being isolated for the past year or so made me take a deep look at why I have so many things.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 05:10 AM   #92
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
At the end of the day all of these things are just toys and are actually meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I have been selling off most of my luxury possessions over the past 2 years. Don't get me wrong, this isn't because I feel bad for having nice things. I simply am getting rid of the things that are not important to me. I still buy luxury items but I have noticed that I do stop and think "Why am I buying this" now before I buy it. That has stopped 90% of my new purchases. It is kind of freeing in a way.

I definitely think being isolated for the past year or so made me take a deep look at why I have so many things.
I've been doing my fair share of this over the last 12 months, too. A consolidation if you will. It's scary and gross how much we accumulate over the years.

Explorer 39mm 214270 --- Sub 41mm 124060 —-
GeoffEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 06:21 AM   #93
Jonnewbank
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610lv, 124060,
I’ve loved watches since I was a boy, I bought a brietling chronomat when I was 26, my first proper watch and wore it to death. Swapped it for a blue 2015 datejust 2. This started the Rolex thing for me. I have to admit covid sent me into overdrive. The endless boredom and having lots more disposable income as you couldn’t do anything

Because you can’t try these watches on I’ve ended up buying so many off Greys, trying them on, sending them back, finding the smallest little thing I don’t like. Losing money all the time as I didn’t keep them long enough

I put it all down to social media and you tube. Endless watch videos, bombarded with images of the ones I don’t have, swapping them for ones I do have and liked.

This has ended up with the following things happening in two years.

Three sd43s
Three black skydweller
2 oysterflex yachtmaster
2 James Cameron
Ap forger carbon (terrible quality)
Root beer, Pepsi, Batman
Iwc ceramic pilot

I put all this down to you tube watch channels, I love watching them and I’m now learning to just enjoy the watches I have and realise that it’s more the search that enthralled me. I got to the point where I wasn’t even excited when a new one arrived on the doorstep, almost like the exciting bit was over when I actually had it.

Now things are back to normal, no more swapping and changing. I’ve got my sd43, skydweller and polar explorer and I’m so so happy with them.

Then the ad rang me yesterday and offered me a Batman, Pepsi and cermit, I could only pick one. And I’ve never been more excited because I’ve waited 12 months for my green beauty.

No more instagram, no more grey dealers and no more overanalysing every downside, nothing is perfect.

If I want a new watch now I’ll wait for it and it becomes exciting again.

Just my weird covid/watch journey.

I still love watches!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonnewbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 11:10 AM   #94
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Seth, always appreciate your posts, including and especially such as this.

I agree with you. I think the overemphasis on value and the “look what I have” feel to things is disheartening. Still, as I’m sure you do, I try to block it out and remember how/why I got into watches.

Post #39 you mentioned wanting to “downsize…in general.” I agree with our friend Blansky that the covid pandemic has impacted all of us and with some folks may have caused some depression. Besides cars and watches, do you still have the same passion for other hobbies you’ve had previously?

Agree with what others have said - put the watches down for a bit, things move in cycles.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 11:13 AM   #95
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post

Agree.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 04:38 PM   #96
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Just a reminder, to myself.
I love my Rolex, because it's beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (116.7 KB, 157 views)
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 05:32 PM   #97
Lonehiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I think we all learn the futility of materialism sooner or later. Try wearing watches purely for the personal aesthetic, or mechanical excellence, rather than the must-have fashion accessory.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 07:01 PM   #98
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonehiker View Post
I think we all learn the futility of materialism sooner or later. Try wearing watches purely for the personal aesthetic, or mechanical excellence, rather than the must-have fashion accessory.
the pandemic made me rethink what is important. health and family are more important now. i now appreciate being able to go watch a movie, eat out, go to the mall, beach

watches come last
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 08:06 PM   #99
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

There seems to be a fairly common theme here - you're not alone, Seth. It doesn't seem as it's a growing disinterest in watches but moreso a realignment of what matters for most of us due to the last 18 months. This realignment makes us question our interests for sure. This time last year I was heavily focused on minimalism and parsing out how much I had. Not watch-wise just in general. That clean out is what actually paid for my Sub in May. What this thread has also shown me is that social media is a great contributor to just general unhappiness. Have always read and heard it on those social media platforms but to hear it from a group of (what I consider) intelligent and accomplished people with loads of class holds a great deal of weight for me. IG especially is just a highlight reel. It can be like Miami beach 24/7, seeing what's flaunted only and not what they don't have or what it took to get it. This thread made me completely uninstall IG and Twitter from my phone. Today is day 2.

Just took my first sip of coffee so excuse the ramble.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Old 9 September 2021, 08:29 PM   #100
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Goat rodeo. I love that. Using that.

And I was one of them.

Now I only want to downsize. Not just watches. In general.

I downsized dramatically, and have never been happier !

Having come from meager beginnings, my need to impress for others’ sake come to light after realizing needs vs. wants. The average middle class couple in the US could retire monetarily comfortable/secure if the MAJORITY of their income wasn’t wasted on “impressing” friends, family and neighbors.
Old 9 September 2021, 09:15 PM   #101
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Losing Interest in Watches

Long story short my friend…..

Put down the social media

Put away the watches

Focus on something else in the interim

And see how you feel in 3, 6, 12mths.

No need to rush.

And truth be told, I can hardly even stand LinkedIn of all things anymore. Constant lifestyle and political post from all sides…

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 10:20 PM   #102
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Thanks Seth, for sharing your thoughts, and for everyone else and their responses.

I too am losing interest, for many reasons, most of which have already been covered here. I started a thread, here, about how I now have only one watch. And I'm OK with that, surprisingly.

Partly because of my age and largely because I work in I/T so I understand technology and how it can be used, I do not use any "social media" other than a few forums like this. No FB, IG, TT or Tweeters for me. Or more accurately - I have accounts for most of those, but don't use them. Largely because I just don't care about what most people think or say.

You guys and gals are the exception to that.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 10:41 PM   #103
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Thanks Seth, for sharing your thoughts, and for everyone else and their responses.

I too am losing interest, for many reasons, most of which have already been covered here. I started a thread, here, about how I now have only one watch. And I'm OK with that, surprisingly.

Partly because of my age and largely because I work in I/T so I understand technology and how it can be used, I do not use any "social media" other than a few forums like this. No FB, IG, TT or Tweeters for me. Or more accurately - I have accounts for most of those, but don't use them. Largely because I just don't care about what most people think or say.

You guys and gals are the exception to that.
I honestly think you're living the dream! True comfort in yourself that you don't feel the need to showcase or get involved with other's happenings. Zen to the max!

Old 10 September 2021, 10:59 PM   #104
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

On the upside: it is a first world problem and there ar eplentyof other things to spend money on.

Buy a boat; that’ll provide a never ending supply of things that require money.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 11:16 PM   #105
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
On the upside: it is a first world problem and there ar eplentyof other things to spend money on.

Truer words have never been spoken!

Old 11 September 2021, 12:14 AM   #106
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post

I wouldn’t actually say it’s a problem.

It’s more of an observation and a discussion. But I get your point.

That said, had dinner with a bunch of great dudes last night. Lots of talk about watches. These are all down to earth, salt of the earth, hard working good dudes.

A few expressed that they are getting into watches. They also expressed some dismay on how difficult it all was.

That said, it makes me think that this new interest in watches isn’t all bad. Pros and cons to everything I suppose.

Btw, hate boats.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 01:52 AM   #107
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I am not losing interest in watches per se, but I am definitely not "obsessed" with them as I was before. The overwhelming urge to own some "hot piece" is no longer there.

For me, the smoldering of flame on watches seems to be a part of the "been there done that" psychology. It's the same whether it be cars, motorcycles, or watches. After the 3rd or 4th one, the law of diminishing returns sets in and I don't get the same joy as that I got with my first one.

I don't think there is necessarily good or bad with this phenomenon; it is what it is as we gradually satisfy our heart with things we once crave. In a way it feels kinda good not to be in a state of desperation from wanting some hot piece.

I find myself focusing more of my attention on activities that add to my life experience such as traveling or hobbies that require skills. Recently I got into woodworking and have found it to be hugely enjoyable.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 01:55 AM   #108
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I think there's a difference between losing interest in watches vs. losing interest in the forums/chats about watches.

I will always love the mechanical aspect of these tiny machines (I'm an engineer by degree), and the comfort of having one of the wrist to smile and look at will NEVER go away for me.

Interest on the forums comes and goes (how many times can you read about the same thing?), but interest in watches is eternal. For me, at least!
Old 11 September 2021, 03:00 AM   #109
Bill2
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Fortunately my passion for watches grows stronger.
Bill2 is offline   Reply With Quote