The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2015, 02:17 PM   #91
Matt748
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I don't personally.
Dropped my Pelagos on the hard tiled floor of the changing room a few weeks ago. Now I just leave them at home.
The gym has clocks on every wall too.
Matt748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 02:17 PM   #92
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcao View Post
You have a point there.
But those people get paid for what they do and their watches endorsed by companies or sponsored organizations (I'm sure James Cameron didn't pay for his Deep Sea - quite the opposite). We do, and each nick and scratch can cause emotional scars

By this logic, it's better to wear an Apple Watch. It's made for the gym, with a myriad of dedicated apps, for a fraction of a cost.
The way I look at it, if I get emotional scars from scratching or damaging a sport watch, whether it be a Casio, Rolex Oyster, or anything in between, it was probably too expensive for me to buy in the first place.

My car was quite a bit more expensive than my Rolex, and it's much more likely to be damaged day to day than my Rolex, but I still drive it. Granted, I have both my car and Rolex insured against theft and damage.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 02:23 PM   #93
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Do you even lift, bro?
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 02:29 PM   #94
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry302 View Post
So,when I put on my 45 pound weight vest and do 30 minutes on a rolling stair climber followed by 10 on the Jacobs ladder then the rowing machine and my pulse is steady at about 160 and I'm soaked in sweat , I'm dogging it?

I spent 4 hours working at a ripping house fire the other night with my Explorer II on my wrist, rehab took my pulse at my first break 145 that seemed like work too.
And I change the oil in my truck and cut bait with mine on... But that's not the gym, where posers congregate to be seen.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 02:36 PM   #95
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
And I change the oil in my truck and cut bait with mine on... But that's not the gym, where posers congregate to be seen.
I've not been to a gym in Abu Dhabi, so maybe it's different than what I'm used to at my gym, but I don't feel like wearing a Rolex in a gym is more of an effort to be seen than wearing a Rolex in any other social setting. It seems like no one notices at my gym, but I guess it's pretty low key.
Old 21 June 2015, 05:24 PM   #96
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I tried to take an Apple Watch in the pool but it filled up with water; wait it could have been a special application.

LOL. Must be fuzzy logic in the app 😉
For the sake of argument, we're talking gym not pool. So your logic is fuzzy too. 😅
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 05:27 PM   #97
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
LOL. Must be fuzzy logic in the app ��
For the sake of argument, we're talking gym not pool. So your logic is fuzzy too. ��
My Gym has the pool so I can't separate the two. Every time I swim I have to go to the gym.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 05:30 PM   #98
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
No...
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 05:48 PM   #99
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
My Gym has the pool so I can't separate the two. Every time I swim I have to go to the gym.
You're really pushing it
Old 21 June 2015, 05:59 PM   #100
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
The way I look at it, if I get emotional scars from scratching or damaging a sport watch, whether it be a Casio, Rolex Oyster, or anything in between, it was probably too expensive for me to buy in the first place.

My car was quite a bit more expensive than my Rolex, and it's much more likely to be damaged day to day than my Rolex, but I still drive it. Granted, I have both my car and Rolex insured against theft and damage.
I think the question is not whether or not to wear a watch, but to wear it in a place where you could more likely than not to expose it to damage, scratches, even theft. Same as you wouldn't drive your car off road, dirt road whatever, or park it in unsafe neighborhood. But you have to wouldn't you want to choose a vehicle more appropriate to the tasks?
As for you having same emotional attachment to either a Ferrari or a Yugo? Sorry can't help you there
Old 21 June 2015, 07:16 PM   #101
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
You're really pushing it
Not really; it is going to the gym. Sorry if you can't get your mind around swimming as a work out at the gym. Can't see why it would be less so than running or stationary biking. The gym has a track as well; is running on the track excluded as well? What if it was a stationary swim pool; would that then make it more gym like? How about providing the list of activities that you feel qualify for the gym. I suspect swimming a mile a day full out is pretty decent exercise by any stretch of the imagination. BTW, the gym also offers kickboxing, aerobics, yoga, spinning classes, palates, ropes, barre, basketball, racquet ball, and a host of other exercise forms; would you exclude them as well? I also work out with weights but swimming is the most frequent and most beneficial. My perception is that you're not pushing it enough.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 07:36 PM   #102
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I've not been to a gym in Abu Dhabi, so maybe it's different than what I'm used to at my gym, but I don't feel like wearing a Rolex in a gym is more of an effort to be seen than wearing a Rolex in any other social setting. It seems like no one notices at my gym, but I guess it's pretty low key.
There is always a well dressed trendy bunch that don't work out much, or get at all sweaty. They are very social and spend a lot of the time chatting. The gyms in Chicago, Florida, and Little Rock were the same. Posers are posers the world round.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 07:39 PM   #103
WatchMeRun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV, 116333
Terrible idea. That's a very nice watch, don't intentionally put its beauty at risk. Buy an older Exp1 if you want to show off a Rolex at the gym. Personally, if I saw someone at the gym wearing a Rolex I would think they were a tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WatchMeRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 08:54 PM   #104
d999ss
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXPLORER II
If I can wear my watch during my workout it's a sure sign that I'm not working out hard enough.
d999ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 09:53 PM   #105
MjolnirCFC
"TRF" Member

No. Never wear it to the gym. If youre just running or doing a bit of cardio, then maybe. But if youre training with free weights, bars, dumbells etc, its very easy to bump things anf scratch the watch
MjolnirCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 11:35 PM   #106
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
There is always a well dressed trendy bunch that don't work out much, or get at all sweaty. They are very social and spend a lot of the time chatting. The gyms in Chicago, Florida, and Little Rock were the same. Posers are posers the world round.
Ah, gotcha. I guess I just don't see how wearing a Rolex to the gym, or any physical activity, means that one isn't working hard. I bought this Sub to use, and it'll still outlast me. Anytime I want a watch on my arm, it's gonna be this watch.

If this topic was about wearing a Calatrava to the gym, that would be one thing, but Rolexes are made to be used and abused, IMO.
Old 21 June 2015, 11:45 PM   #107
Steveray79
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Yes i do,i am 6'2 240 and routinely bench 450,deadlift 650,curl 205,military 275 etc and i wear my watches at all these workouts.been lifting 24 years and always have a watch on my wrist.wear and do as you want.
Steveray79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 11:46 PM   #108
yld2rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
nope stays at home
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex Datejust 16220
yld2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 12:07 AM   #109
Banned

Do you wear your Rolex to the gym?

I do because the gym is in my house and I mostly do a dumbbell routine
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 12:40 AM   #110
Ex GI
"TRF" Member

I probably wouldn't do it. Even though I try to make myself be comfortable doing anything in a Rolex, I'm just not quite there yet.
Ex GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 12:40 AM   #111
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
My gym is on the road with my bicycle. Too dangerous for my good watches. Casio or Polar Heart monitoring watch.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 12:55 AM   #112
Mellowgc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C, SS Daytona
I wear mine to the gym everyday, but I mostly lift weights. I don't like to wear it when I run just because the weight of it bother me while I run.
Mellowgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 12:58 AM   #113
submariner123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
What is a gym?
submariner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 12:58 AM   #114
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Yes but I leave it in the locker
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 01:47 AM   #115
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I'm totally guilty of wearing my Rolex to the gym, not for any other reason except for I miss it when I leave it home😢
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 03:25 AM   #116
GMT13
"TRF" Member

Leave it in your locker, come back and it may be gone. If you go the locker route, take your watch off before you even step foot in the gym so people don't notice you have it, then you put it in your locker.

Keep it on your wrist or take it off in your car is my advice.
GMT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 03:38 AM   #117
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desibaba View Post
What is "That" guy?
The guy that is wearing his iZod shirt and Tommy Bahama loafers with his "rollie" while riding the stationary bike ready the Wall Street Journal (upside down) and sipping on a latte....

Seriously, anyone really working out at a gym is gonna smack that Rolex on something and then you'll be on here asking about a replacement crystal.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 03:59 AM   #118
Beef
"TRF" Member

I wear whatever is the Rolex d'jour in my rotation. That being said, I only do pull-ups, Perfect Push-ups (the rotating handle things) and TRX suspension trainers, plus the usual cardio devices and the pool. So no chance of damaging on free weights.

I have however, wore a Rolex doing things that are possibly exponentially more damaging than a free weight circuit at a gym. And never worried about it. It is, by God, a Rolex!
Old 22 June 2015, 04:03 AM   #119
ernie2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K+BLNR
people will laugh at me if i wear rolex in my gym.
ernie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 04:28 AM   #120
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
If you are using it to keep time of your workout then yes but any other reason doesn't make sense. It would be like wearing sunglasses or jeans to the gym.
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote