The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 May 2012, 08:31 PM   #91
DadsDaytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6262 PN Daytona
Icon14 Welcome

Kodiak,

Welcome to the forum. Since this is a public forum, of course, please expect a wide variety of comments and feedback. Just weed thru the BS and you will find very valuable information on this forum. Some of the forum members are experts and others may think they are experts, no matter what, don't let anyone run you off.

Not being an expert myself, I find a ton of answers on this forum. As someone has already said, all opinions are welcomed.

Please do keep us informed related to this fantastic find. More pics and more details the better.

Nice Daytona!

Last edited by DadsDaytona; 26 May 2012 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: P
DadsDaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 11:50 AM   #92
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Great find!
Please disregard some of our more Jaded members.
I can tell you that there's a silver safe in my parents NYC house that hasn't been opened in 40 years. I'm pretty sure we know what's in there. The missing silver. My grandfather didn't use it after my grandmother died and the formal meals stopped. I'm sure it has some value, how would I know. It's my mothers now, and she has no use for it, so there it rests. Who knows what else is in there, my money's on some dinnerware. That's how these things surface, exactly like this. Or the old farmhouse with the mint revolutionary war/civil war rifle found under some boards in the attic when the roof leaks.
Enjoy them and try to keep them in the family!

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 10:41 PM   #93
DadsDaytona
"TRF" Member

Barn Find

On the Corvette Forum it would be called a BARN FIND of that 427 67 Corvette Convertible with 435 hp

Oh one owner and low mileage, it still happens today, but less and less

Old 28 May 2012, 10:58 AM   #94
HunterST
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3, 79090
The mystique of a barn find like this is what can make people skeptical - especially when the watches are of such rare / high value. Hopefully you decide to keep these in the family and have Bob or someone like Dalton at LA Watchwerks carefully restore them.

It'll be nice to see the pictures if you do.
Old 30 May 2012, 11:03 AM   #95
DadsDaytona
"TRF" Member

Updates

Any updates?
Old 30 May 2012, 01:50 PM   #96
flathead59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
What are the chances......this is the stuff "TRF urban legends" are made of.....

- You are a long time lurker, and you just joined today

- ]
Lots of folks come to the forum and research but don't join. Is this really that unusual? I have no idea if this gent's legit or not, but I do know I've seen several threads where a poster has put up pics of a watch that is immediately scorned as a fake by more than a few of the regulars, only to have it turn out to be the real deal.

Mark
flathead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2012, 05:24 AM   #97
sweiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT-Master rb
Still no updates?
Old 9 June 2012, 03:59 PM   #98
MCox

Don't worry

I've been a member for 2 or three years ( I know that doesn't show but I was MJCox before and wasn't around for a bit and forgot my password) The point is there are some on this forum who are just negative. I'm a jewelry designer and just for fun took a broken watch and made what I thought was a neat bracelet for my wife and when I showed a pic had comments like "complete fail!" well i didnt make it for them and I didnt give a shit what they said or thought! Nice find!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0745.jpg (105.4 KB, 452 views)
MCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 04:21 PM   #99
eddie_b
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
While my mind is not made up entirely whether this is true or not, definitely a great find! As has been said numerous times, don't touch the watches, that will take away their value.

I'm kind of confused as to why their condition is so poor for having been in a safe for so long. Did your uncle abuse them that much?
eddie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 09:17 PM   #100
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiger View Post
Still no updates?
No update and not another post from the OP in this thread or anywhere else in TRF
Old 11 June 2012, 01:07 AM   #101
wm9z

here's an example with comics...action comics #1 found in box in basement mixed in with all of grandpa's other junk ....family was going to lose the house.....sold comic for $450,000.00 USD.....house saved!
wm9z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 01:44 AM   #102
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
Fantastic watches!

-Warren Buffet
Sweramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 02:04 AM   #103
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Very nice!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 07:06 AM   #104
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No update and not another post from the OP in this thread or anywhere else in TRF
Yes, perhaps that is the case.

But it could equally be comments made by yourself and others who have scared them away

And perhaps we will never know??

Feel smug with your rolling on the floor laughing symbol??
Well congratulations to you............NOT

May I remind you that this is a forum for the learning & sharing of knowledge NOT to ridicule new members

Innocent until proven guilty.......I do believe.

Regards

Tony
Old 11 June 2012, 07:18 AM   #105
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
Yes, perhaps that is the case.

But it could equally be comments made by yourself and others who have scared them away
Scared them away? REALLY?

Quote:
Innocent until proven guilty.......I do believe.
I guess that comes down to ones threshold for burden of proof....

Criminal: Beyond a reasonable doubt
Civil: The balance of probability
Having half a brain : the obvious probability

We all have our opinions, some are right and some are wrong. I hope mine is wrong (wonderful watches) but I believe that unlikely and I think it intellectually dishonest not to call someone out on trolling and playing the members here on TRF. Regardless.... Thanks for sharing your opinions as well. Cheers!
Old 11 June 2012, 10:01 AM   #106
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Paladin, there are tons of posts on here that I question. There are prices in the FS section for junk parts and poor boxes that I laugh at too. I just choose to keep most to myself because the conflict isnt worth it. Frankly, you should understand that most of what you read online is part fiction. Read the L.A Times recently?
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 10:41 AM   #107
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Paladin, there are tons of posts on here that I question. There are prices in the FS section for junk parts and poor boxes that I laugh at too. I just choose to keep most to myself because the conflict isnt worth it. Frankly, you should understand that most of what you read online is part fiction. Read the L.A Times recently?
ah when I want fiction to read I go straight to the source... The NY Times or the Washington Post...
Old 11 June 2012, 10:44 AM   #108
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
I have no way of knowing whether kodiak's story is true or not but it's certainly similar to my own and I can tell you all that 'finds' like this really do happen. And when they do and a novice goes looking for information on what exactly they may or may not have, forums like this one are where many of us end up. This is, afterall, where the experts are.

Myself, I read through dozens upon dozens of these threads before joining. There's a lot to be learned here and joining and posting doesn't necessarily have to be part of the process.

kodiak, good luck with your pieces. If you wind up parting with them, I'm sure your uncle would be happy that after all these years, he's still got a few nice surprises left to give to his sweetheart.
AzPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 11:02 AM   #109
kodiak
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I don't have anything new to report on the watches. I put my aunt in touch with Bob Ridley and that is where I left it. I don't think my aunt is going to do anything to the watches. I know that there are numerous people interested in buying them but I don't think she is planning on selling them.

I honestly wish I did not post this at all. In my excitement over finding these watches I thought it would be a good time to join the forum and share this. I guess I was wrong.

I am not used to being called a liar or a troll. I am an airline pilot for a Major airline. I am based in LAX and live in Minneapolis. I spend a lot of time on the road and just don't frequent the forums that often. The only reason I looked at this tonight was because I recieved a pm from someone and I get an email sent to me when that happens. I'm sorry that some of you think this is a scam. It is not and I wish there was a way for me to prove it. Obviously my word is not enough.

Paladin, please ask yourself what on earth would I have to gain here by making this story up? I don't have time to play games with the members of this board as you suggest. I have a pretty busy life and am not watching this web board daily. You ask for burden of proof......what would you like me to do that would convince you? I'm not trying to hide anything.
kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 02:24 AM   #110
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
I don't have anything new to report on the watches. I put my aunt in touch with Bob Ridley and that is where I left it. I don't think my aunt is going to do anything to the watches. I know that there are numerous people interested in buying them but I don't think she is planning on selling them.

I honestly wish I did not post this at all. In my excitement over finding these watches I thought it would be a good time to join the forum and share this. I guess I was wrong.

I am not used to being called a liar or a troll. I am an airline pilot for a Major airline. I am based in LAX and live in Minneapolis. I spend a lot of time on the road and just don't frequent the forums that often. The only reason I looked at this tonight was because I recieved a pm from someone and I get an email sent to me when that happens. I'm sorry that some of you think this is a scam. It is not and I wish there was a way for me to prove it. Obviously my word is not enough.

Paladin, please ask yourself what on earth would I have to gain here by making this story up? I don't have time to play games with the members of this board as you suggest. I have a pretty busy life and am not watching this web board daily. You ask for burden of proof......what would you like me to do that would convince you? I'm not trying to hide anything.
Don't be discouraged or take it personally. There are a lot of doubting debbies - but you do need to be cognizant of how rare a find of yours is - truly very rare! And a lot of these instances have come up on this forum and others along the same lines as yours, and many have turned out to be trolls.

It is VERY puzzling that a safe would be left locked and uninspected for so long, but hey, it could happen. Gorgeous watches, and above all, don't accept any low-ball offers from anyone, learn their true value, and keep them as original as possible
Old 12 June 2012, 02:44 AM   #111
psv
2024 Pledge Member

stranger things has happened, I was a friends who is an entrpreneur and runs several companies, one of them is a large thrift shop. among many other things, they got a wooden dresser in from, and when they cleaned it out they found an old Rolex in one of the drawers.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 02:50 AM   #112
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

I believe you. frankly these watches werent even that expensive back in the day.
Old 12 June 2012, 02:51 AM   #113
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

paladin, thx for the nice response. lets all encourage Kodiac to participate on this board and give us an update.
Old 12 June 2012, 03:19 AM   #114
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I just re-read the whole thread. We should welcome these stories and new members in a more positive light. For a hundred years safes have been found locked up and treasures nearly lost inside.

Plus, the watches were not super expensive back in the day and could have been had for even less if required 5 or 10 years after they were new. The owner may not had even known these were valuable watches.

People find TRF easily enough, if you found these two watches and searched google, my guess is that after 2 or 3 clicks you would be at TRF.

While there are trolls, scammers and thiefs everywhere, we shouldn't assume every new TRF poster is dishonest, IMHO....

Lastly, we should be more thoughtful and composed than to PM these folks and act like buzzards around a recent kill....If they want to sell it, we'll know about it.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 03:46 AM   #115
sweiger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak View Post

Thanks for the update
Often one has to grow a thick skin when dealing with the internet..

I think most here believes you (myself included) -and are looking forward to any news about your gorgeous watches.
Old 12 June 2012, 06:36 AM   #116
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiger View Post
Thanks for the update
Often one has to grow a thick skin when dealing with the internet..

I think most here believes you (myself included) -and are looking forward to any news about your gorgeous watches.
They are not his watches..they belong to his "aunt". Maybe that's my problem I pay attention to detail...and the story had mismatched detail throughout.

Sorry to offend everybody with hard questions and a prudent dash of disbelief. It certainly was not malicious....just my opinion and the OP in posting his thread, invited all opinions even if they were unpopular.

Cheers!
Old 13 June 2012, 12:08 AM   #117
sweiger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They are not his watches..they belong to his "aunt". Maybe that's my problem I pay attention to detail...and the story had mismatched detail throughout.

Sorry to offend everybody with hard questions and a prudent dash of disbelief. It certainly was not malicious....just my opinion and the OP in posting his thread, invited all opinions even if they were unpopular.

Cheers!
well, his aunt's watches yes.
Guess I was more focused on kodiak's further engagement here despite the questions of his integrity, so I forgot the watches is his aunt's.

I don't get why you put the word aunt in quotes?
And what are the "mismatched detail througout" you refer to? Just because someone hasn't signed up, one can easily have been lurking for a long time (Did that myself).
Malicious intention or not, it sure sounds to me like you have an agenda of discrediting OP.
Old 13 June 2012, 01:54 AM   #118
Tom R
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 & 1601
True or not, I still hate this guy.
Tom R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 03:02 AM   #119
witch watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail View Post
Don't be discouraged or take it personally. There are a lot of doubting debbies - but you do need to be cognizant of how rare a find of yours is - truly very rare! And a lot of these instances have come up on this forum and others along the same lines as yours, and many have turned out to be trolls.

It is VERY puzzling that a safe would be left locked and uninspected for so long, but hey, it could happen. Gorgeous watches, and above all, don't accept any low-ball offers from anyone, learn their true value, and keep them as original as possible
Bravo sir very well said
witch watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 04:36 AM   #120
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
True or not, I still hate this guy.
I take it that you are joking