The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 8 November 2010, 02:08 PM   #91
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Thanks, Howard. I hope to hear something from All-Clad tomorrow.
Old 8 November 2010, 02:16 PM   #92
prc117f

I recommend anyone who is having kids to make sure they learn how to speak Chinese.
Old 8 November 2010, 02:25 PM   #93
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh007 View Post
As a side note about our "MOST FAVORED TRADING PARTNER", I'll give you one guess as to where approximately 75 - 85% of all the worlds counterfeit, knock off, fake, etc. crap is manufactured and exported from.
And who are the ones buying these so called products (creating the demand for this stuff to be produced in the first place), if I may ask? Because I can tell you, it ain't the Chinese themselves.

Again, there's always two sides to a story.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 8 November 2010, 02:40 PM   #94
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
And who are the ones buying these products (creating the demand for this stuff to be produced in the first place), if I may ask? Because I can tell you, it ain't the Chinese themselves.

Cheers,
Joe
...good point, but totally not on point in this instance. This is a case of someone specifically not wanting to support foreign industry over domestic.

But back to your point, and this is just a theoretical question, not attempting to spark a geo-political debate, but rather, an economic one: whom do you think would suffer more if the US revoked the MFN status of China ? Personally, and I admit I could be mistaken here, I've always believed the US could survive without the Chinese more so than the other way around. Obviously, nobody believes that would actually happen, but it does provide food for thought.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
Old 8 November 2010, 02:43 PM   #95
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidoc View Post
...good point, but totally not on point in this instance. This is a case of someone specifically not wanting to support foreign industry over domestic.
No you're absolutely right, doc (reg. Lisa's case). And that's why I made sure to just include the statement that I wanted to make a comment on. I thought that this was pretty obvious.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 8 November 2010, 02:48 PM   #96
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
No you're absolutely right, doc (reg. Lisa's case). And that's why I made sure to just include the statement that I wanted to make a comment on. I thought that this was pretty obvious.

Cheers,
Joe
Oops ! D'Oh !!!
That's what I get for using a netbook with a small screen. Doesn't always show the whole window at once without scrolling.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
Old 8 November 2010, 03:02 PM   #97
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But back to your point, and this is just a theoretical question, not attempting to spark a geo-political debate, but rather, an economic one: whom do you think would suffer more if the US revoked the MFN status of China ? Personally, and I admit I could be mistaken here, I've always believed the US could survive without the Chinese more so than the other way around. Obviously, nobody believes that would actually happen, but it does provide food for thought.

That's a tricky question, indeed. (I guess that's why you hear so many professional economist debating about it all the time )

If you ask for my humble opinion, then I would say that if people could accept to pay a little extra for their products, it would solve a lot of "problems" (depending on from which side you're looking at this)

The problem though, is that I don't think that "average Joe" has a clue what goes on out here (and that's not just the US Joe I'm talking about, but from all different places around the world that are worried about the future and China's impact on things). The standard of living here, has improved vastly over the years, and everything moves with such a speed that it's hard to understand the mass of it all. And one thing to keep in mind, is that nobody has the right to tell the Chinese how to run their show, and to tell them what to do. It's their country, and they will try their best to keep as many people working as possible (it ain't easy when you have a population of 1.3 billion). Sure, I can understand that we have different values in the west, but I get a bit tired when there are so many people around the world who believes that juts because it works in one part of the world, it's bullet proof to work at another place. The world doesn't work like that at all! Pointing fingers, and blaming others for ones problems, is never going to solve anything. Trying to force ones ideas upon somebody else, will have an even worse effect.

It's us in the "west" who have created this problem ourselves, not the Chinese. We are the ones not willing to pay a bit extra for a product, so that it could have been produced locally instead. Then of course, companies are driven by profit, they have to show the stock owners that they are making more money compared to last year, and of course if you see that you can produce something cheaper somewhere else, why not do it - it's only logical thinking after all.

On the other hand, people have shown that they are in fact NOT willing to pay these extra money, so of course this plays right in to the hands of the countries producing everything (China is of course the biggest player of them all).

If we're talking only the US, since that's what you asked about. No, I'm sure that they would not survive without the Chinese. Perhaps 10 years ago, but not now. Just look at the mess with the us dollar, and all the bonds China keeps buying and buying. It's us (the west) who have created this mess we are now in, not the guys running the show here. So I think it's time for people to get down from their high horses and face reality, because change is coming and guess what, it's already started.

Just my 2 cent.

Quote:
Oops ! D'Oh !!!
That's what I get for using a netbook with a small screen. Doesn't always show the whole window at once without scrolling.

No worries, doc!

Cheers,
Joe
Old 9 November 2010, 12:29 AM   #98
chris russell
Banned

Watch: your mouth.
It seems that a lot of companies have little or no understanding how much harm they do themselves by underestimating how far an angry customer can spread the story about beig deceived, manipulated and otherwise mistreated. In the 'old days', the farthest such a story might spread would be to a few friends and neighbors; big deal. These days, bad news is pretty much instantly communicated all over the country and all over the world. Not a good way to build a business.
Old 9 November 2010, 12:35 AM   #99
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris russell View Post
It seems that a lot of companies have little or no understanding how much harm they do themselves by underestimating how far an angry customer can spread the story about beig deceived, manipulated and otherwise mistreated. In the 'old days', the farthest such a story might spread would be to a few friends and neighbors; big deal. These days, bad news is pretty much instantly communicated all over the country and all over the world. Not a good way to build a business.
If they had been more understanding about my wanting to make an exchange, I'd feel a lot better. I told them I'd happily pay any difference in price.
Old 9 November 2010, 12:38 AM   #100
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Lisa, I trust that everything will work out for you in the long run!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Old 9 November 2010, 12:54 AM   #101
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
could we please just get back to the issue of one piece of cookware, and not make this into the fate of the western world?
Old 9 November 2010, 02:10 AM   #102
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
could we please just get back to the issue of one piece of cookware, and not make this into the fate of the western world?
No way, Dan. It's time for global macro-economics. With the price of All-clad, we're talking major currency fluctuation.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
Old 9 November 2010, 02:18 AM   #103
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

okie dokie...here we go again.......
Old 9 November 2010, 02:35 AM   #104
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
okie dokie...here we go again.......
Where is that popcorn smiley face?
Old 9 November 2010, 02:43 AM   #105
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Ok, well, time for MHO. I don't know the first thing about Alclad made in the US versus made on Mars, and, since I work for a Japanese company, I can't say I am concerned about purchasing products made in other countries. But Lisa obviously feels she was mislead in this company's advertising, she is also very passionate about her desire to purchase a product made in the US. Agree or disagree with her on that, and argue all you want about the company's fine print etc. The fact remains she is an unsatisfied customer; would it have been so difficult to exchange it as she requested?

This is more about basic customer service IMHO then all the fine print-US metal versus Chinese metal-versus atomic number exchange rate blah blah blah....
Old 9 November 2010, 03:46 AM   #106
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Ok, well, time for MHO. I don't know the first thing about Alclad made in the US versus made on Mars, and, since I work for a Japanese company, I can't say I am concerned about purchasing products made in other countries. But Lisa obviously feels she was mislead in this company's advertising, she is also very passionate about her desire to purchase a product made in the US. Agree or disagree with her on that, and argue all you want about the company's fine print etc. The fact remains she is an unsatisfied customer; would it have been so difficult to exchange it as she requested?

This is more about basic customer service IMHO then all the fine print-US metal versus Chinese metal-versus atomic number exchange rate blah blah blah....
exactly.
Old 9 November 2010, 04:37 AM   #107
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
How can they say this stuff when they're NOT making all of their products this way? What BS. How is this even legal?
I wonder if it's similar to how Swiss watches are made. If a percentage of the item is made in-country, then they can call it U.S. made. Just guessing here, but it does suck, because All Clad charges an arm and a leg for their products.
Old 9 November 2010, 05:43 AM   #108
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post

I agree, Paul. Maybe I don't understand the basics of customer service, but All-Clad's position mystifies me. Maybe they feel this is a matter of principle as much as I do.
Old 9 November 2010, 10:30 AM   #109
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

well, try the soft glove first, then the hammer.......
Old 9 November 2010, 10:40 AM   #110
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
It's one roaster for a woman, cabinets full of roasters for the world.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Old 9 November 2010, 11:20 AM   #111
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Lisa, I do hope you get a resolution very soon.

I always thought that with most companies, customer service is always #1. Evidently, that's not the case with All-Clad. If it was, you'd have a Roaster made in America in your cabinet right now, and they would've taken the other back.
Why they couldn't even give you a REFUND (and not an exchange, if they felt that they didn't have an item on hand to meet your needs) is way beyond me. They would rather have an upset (and rightfully so) customer.

I wish you all the best Lisa, and I hope that what you are doing will change the way All-Clad will deal with their customers in the future.
Old 10 November 2010, 02:00 AM   #112
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Lisa, I do hope you get a resolution very soon.

I always thought that with most companies, customer service is always #1. Evidently, that's not the case with All-Clad. If it was, you'd have a Roaster made in America in your cabinet right now, and they would've taken the other back.
Why they couldn't even give you a REFUND (and not an exchange, if they felt that they didn't have an item on hand to meet your needs) is way beyond me. They would rather have an upset (and rightfully so) customer.

I wish you all the best Lisa, and I hope that what you are doing will change the way All-Clad will deal with their customers in the future.
Mike, thank you. No word from All-Clad yet, but I have submitted a complaint to our state Attorney General's office. I'll probably get word to the FTC, too. Can't hurt, even if it is a duplication of effort.

I appreciate everyone for letting me vent, and thank you to all who support this cause.
Old 11 November 2010, 06:24 PM   #113
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Here is All-Clad's customer service email address:

info@allclad.com

How about everyone just send them a friendly email.

All you have to ask is:
_________
TO: The Company President
Why don't you identify on your web-site exactly which products are made in CHINA???????????
_________

Let us see if they can come to grips with that fact!!!!!!

You could also say that your friend got stooged and we want justice!!!!!
Come on guys how many of you took 2 minutes out of your time to send an email?????

Please do the right thing, you will feel good in your heart for doing so.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 11 November 2010, 06:37 PM   #114
Puffy
"TRF" Member

a lot of people get sucked into this "made in the USA", "made in the UK", "made in Oz". what it means is it is designed in whatever country and manufactured in HK or boondock China.

got a mate in HK whose family owns a plastic bag company that supplies all the bags to Coles in Oz. up until recently it said made in Oz when in fact the bags were made in HK. had to change it to China for some legal reason

Old 11 November 2010, 06:37 PM   #115
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Come on guys how many of you took 2 minutes out of your time to send an email?????

Please do the right thing, you will feel good in your heart for doing so.
Nice work

J
Closed Thread