The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2019, 12:32 AM   #91
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

Pay what you think the watch is worth for yourself to keep. In that case, it doesn't matter what the market does becaus you ain't selling.

Pay what you think is a good mark-up in case you want to flip it even further. Congrats if you make money on it - your b*lls are bigger then mine, if you lose money - it's how the game works. Too bad.

I like the fact my LV is now 13K while I paid 6.5K retail but why bother selling if all the rest is even more expensive. I'll pick up another model when the price is right, for me.
myusernamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 12:34 AM   #92
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Well said
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
There is no better example of a bubble in the industry. I can recall in 2005-6 when the housing market was crazy. People were flipping houses several times before anybody moved in. I wondered when the last person moved into a $200,000 condo that they paid $400,000 for how much more could it go up? Of course we know what happened.

The BLNR will prove profitable for all but the last owner before the bubble bursts. I'm sure somebody paying $15,000 for a $9500 watch is thinking that the prices will only continue to climb and maybe they will for a bit longer. In the end somebody will have paid $20,000 for a watch that is getting no more than $10,000 on the second hand market.

People look at the demand for Rolex and surmise that now that the BLNR with the older movement has been discontinued and replaced with a superior movement that the value should skyrocket as this will be a collectors edition. They made an absolute ton of these watches and they still are. The internet is driving the market. If Rolex ends the "red grape" datejust dial next year it will become the hottest thing on the market even though you can buy them all day long for $5300 - full set. People are no longer buying what they really want but rather trying to guess the next big investment. All things setting up for a bubble burst
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 12:35 AM   #93
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Watchfinder in the UK are doing the same, pulled all their stock slowly on the 21st March and are now releasing them one at a time on site currently at £13.950 for a used 2018 model
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 12:50 AM   #94
miatang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
Watchfinder in the UK are doing the same, pulled all their stock slowly on the 21st March and are now releasing them one at a time on site currently at £13.950 for a used 2018 model
It was 13650 2 days ago
miatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 12:51 AM   #95
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcorbe1 View Post
Do you think these prices hold?
No idea, don't care.

Like asking what gas prices will be next week, buy or don't.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 12:52 AM   #96
Jacobson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatang View Post
It was 13650 2 days ago
I believe that was a 2016 piece
Old 29 March 2019, 12:52 AM   #97
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatang View Post
It was 13650 2 days ago
Think that was a 2015 model which shows as Sold for me now but I know they are sitting on about 10 of them
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 12:53 AM   #98
JElvis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Some year ago when ss watches were easily attainable at ADs his prices used to be reference for discounts. Now he's reference for markup. No big deal.
this.
JElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 12:56 AM   #99
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

The BLNR surge in prices does not make any sense to me. It is not that it is discontinued like the LN. I would think with the newer model of the watch, the demand for the older one would only diminish. I guess it was hard to get one to begin with and now it is even harder??

I would expect the LN prices to ideally go up as it was the 50th anniversary release and will not be produced anymore.

Guess, the Rolex world works just the opposite. Glad that I have both and don't ever seeing paying $15k for either one of them.
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 01:52 AM   #100
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
You ever think it’s intentional? It’s been like this for some time now.
I've been reading that this bubble will burst since Summer 2017, yet it only seems to be getting worse. Make it stop!
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 02:57 AM   #101
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Is it just me or does the BLNR dominate every single thread on TRF?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 02:59 AM   #102
mistermann
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Is it just me or does the BLNR dominate every single thread on TRF?
Yes... BLNR, 116710LN GMT, SD43 mark 1 dial. Lol
mistermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 03:00 AM   #103
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Yeah. It’s called price-fixing and it’s really really illegal in the US. These guys need to be very careful because in most other industries they’d be looking at hard time in Club Fed.
Yes shouldn't be too hard to prove price fixing in this industry. But would they care to investigate, seems unlikely?
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 03:12 AM   #104
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Have to charge more or less what the market does. My issue is I get the feeling a bunch of resellers are fixing prices behind the scenes based on the number of "hot watches" that simply sit on seller sites/listings for a long while. The ones that move, honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they're just exchanged between resellers. If the market pricing was really appropriate, there is just no way so many BLNRs, Daytona Cs, SS BLROs, Hulks would be sitting around still for sale. Equilibrium prices are much lower than what the resellers are currently charging imo as evidenced by supply (just supply in the wrong place).

Greed all around though, as you have so many that just buy watches bc the AD offers it to them and it's perceived to be "rare". Or they think they can make a quick buck. All of this is what's wrong in the hobby imo at least.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 04:31 AM   #105
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Greed all around though, as you have so many that just buy watches bc the AD offers it to them and it's perceived to be "rare". Or they think they can make a quick buck. All of this is what's wrong in the hobby imo at least.
It's just stuff. IMHO, these watches have no more intrinsic value than an Omega or Breitling.

I say that having have owned two BLNRs and currently wearing a gold Daytona, and I've sold all of my Omegas and Breitlings. I prefer Rolex. But these prices have just gotten out of hand.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 04:36 AM   #106
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

GMT is the rage right now with LN discontinued and with Rolex scarcity game on SS BLRO and BLNR. So basically no new SS GMT can be purchased through AD unless you're VIP or extremely lucky!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 04:52 AM   #107
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcorbe1 View Post
In my opinion he is one of the key market makers for Rolex in the secondary market. With the level of respect he gets in running a sound business and volume of watches he moves, it is respect well earned.
Absolutely correct. David has earned the respect here as a honest businessman.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 06:03 AM   #108
moonshine89
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 white
David is excellent

Another post for David being an excellent dealer. I’ve bought 2 watches from him and to be honest I’m seriously considering flipping my BLNR. I love the watch but trying to be realistic about it. 13-15k for a used BLNR is pretty insane. Could definitely upgrade...

My dream is to have a sub, gmt, and DaytonaC...that Daytona is a frickin unicorn though...
moonshine89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 06:47 AM   #109
Polish Toni Patek
"TRF" Member

I can't see why people are shocked at the price of the discontinued BLNR when collectors are prepared to pay thousands for a Flat 4 over a Pointy 4.
Rolex collectors including me are a little barmy.
Polish Toni Patek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 09:46 AM   #110
WhiskeyNovember
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Still not released his 116710LN’s back to the market yet..? Should be interesting to see where these end up once the dust settles (IMO a lot higher than they already are). This SS bubbles not bursting anytime soon - if ever.
WhiskeyNovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 09:48 AM   #111
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyNovember View Post
Still not released his 116710LN’s back to the market yet..? Should be interesting to see where these end up once the dust settles (IMO a lot higher than they already are). This SS bubbles not bursting anytime soon - if ever.
Yes, and trees will grow to the sky.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 10:37 AM   #112
KBurke
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
I have done a few deals with David and all were great. Excellent customer service and fair both buying and selling, and always responsive. I highly recommend him.
KBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:13 AM   #113
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

Happy I acquired my BLNR in August of 2017. Was hard but possible through an AD. That’s when it all started!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:15 AM   #114
NYCWATCHCREW
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
Agreed. Nothing but good things to say about davidsw. I just received my 3rd watch from him
Cheers I had bought my White Dial Daytona from his a couple months back and have never looked back!!! Best in the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Scary stuff when one independent dealer can dictate the entire market. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Not saying this at all. I think David is a great indicator of the global Rolex secondary market as his prices are typically in line due to the volume he moves. This is not in anyway saying that he dictates the market. In fact a few of his offerings aren't in line with the market at all.
Example: NIB Kermit (non flat four) that he has over 20K. Totally ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
There are literally thousands of dealers and jewelers selling preowned Rolex. He is a very small cog on the wheel of preowned Rolex.
Understood I am just saying he is an indicator based on his volume...as well as a great dealer. Chrono 24 is also an indicator of the market despite not being as revered as David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
This is cute. You really have no idea just how big the world is, do you?
I think I got my point across in the messages above lol.
NYCWATCHCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:17 AM   #115
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
If that’s the price the market dictates then so be it! It’s like anything else!
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:24 AM   #116
NYCWATCHCREW
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownprince View Post
there are many secondary market makers who are way bigger than him. :-)
I am not saying that he is the biggest seller on the market for example Chrono24 or Ebay sells more watches than David SW I just think he is a good indicator of where the market falls. The amount of volume he moves compared to the number of postings he has should say something about his prices in relation to the market. I don't care how good your customer service is in a commodity market like Rolex, if your prices are way out of line your product isn't going to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
Absolutely correct. David has earned the respect here as a honest businessman.
Couldn't agree more!!!
NYCWATCHCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:33 AM   #117
HankScorpio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Some year ago when ss watches were easily attainable at ADs his prices used to be reference for discounts. Now he's reference for markup. No big deal.
Yep. That was right when I got into Rolex. Back then Trusted Seller meant you could get a discount from msrp. Those were the days.
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:34 AM   #118
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by clock View Post
If you did go PM, which models would you consider?
I'd might take a serious look at a WG BLRO or RG CHNR GMTs. DDs are calling me too. I really like the RG and WG DDs with olive dials.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 01:46 PM   #119
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist King View Post
Down with DavidSW. He's the problem..
Are you a grey dealer in HK? Just wondering because right now DavidSw's ask of 15K USD undercuts theirs anywhere from 1K-3K USD. For someone trying to sell at 16-18K USD, I suppose that's a problem.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 02:07 PM   #120
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
exador - you and i wish friend. i think the genie is out of the bottle re: rolex. something has changed. i wouldn't expect everything to go back to how it was pre 2017.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote