The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2019, 06:21 AM   #91
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Watches View Post
Would he enjoy the watch, given the responsibility of owning something so expensive and easily stolen/lost?
I think so. He’s come to me saying this is the watch I’d love to have.
Having responsibility is important in life. I doubt it would get lost, stolen yes. But that’s life.
Caveat, I did say he’s not into watches, but how many wives or children of WISs are? He wears his 1501 sparingly on most weekends.
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:28 AM   #92
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamP View Post
Hi, doesn’t wear it to college, but wears it for weekends. The Rolex 1501 is a 1967 34mm early version of a DateJust. It’s probably too delicate for him now.

If you feel she’s earnt the watch, why not gift it to her earlier than she expects. If she wants to wear it, she will. After reading these responses, I wouldn’t ask for advice on the forum though. However a few enlightened folk batted my side.
Regards
Perfect, your Son wears the watch and appreciates its, clearly shown by actually wearing it as his weekend watch.

Just in regards some nah sayers, i wore a Rolex at Uni and nobody batted an eyelid. Younger post grads were borrowing decent watches to wear for balls, functions etc.

I think my daughter has earned it, she took her driving test last year while just 17 without us knowing, so she could surprise us and she did with a first time pass.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:28 AM   #93
SamP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
Most of the comments here just don't get the point that it is about the father/son relationship, especially with the watch coming from his fathers personal collection.

Some fathers have an attitude of being more reserved and keeping their possessions distinctly as their own whereas others want to share everything with their children. I much prefer the latter.

And congratulations on his educational achievements!
You know what, Mangoseed, this response totally wipes out all the, let’s say slightly judgemental disparaging responses. Much appreciated.
In fact, time to name his choice. Tudor BB58.
So happy with his choice. It’s tongue in cheek vintage, will at least hold its value and avove all shows humility. I’m sure he knows the worth a Rolex, yet chose this.
Maybe I have done a good job as a father.
Old 4 March 2019, 06:29 AM   #94
SamP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Jeeze what is with everyone today?

OP I think this is a great post, and bravo for you and him on this journey, I can’t wait till I have a son and am able to do something like this.

My guess is a slate datejust with green numerals!
Much appreciated, but the cat’s out the bag now.
Old 4 March 2019, 06:30 AM   #95
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
I think so. He’s come to me saying this is the watch I’d love to have.
Having responsibility is important in life. I doubt it would get lost, stolen yes. But that’s life.
Caveat, I did say he’s not into watches, but how many wives or children of WISs are? He wears his 1501 sparingly on most weekends.
I bought my first Rolex (which I still own) while I was an undergrad, so it's definitely doable.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:31 AM   #96
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
I wish I were a Millennial, but alas I hit 53 on Tuesday.

Did I say this was my collection? This is not a parenting site, but a watch site, so let’s stick to watches. However, just to keep you happy - yes I’m a good parent, who has a good wife and was lucky to have had good parents too.
My son is caring, thoughtful and empathetic; which is just as well as he’s starting a medical degree at Oxford coming September. Wether it’s phenotype or genotype he owes a lot of what he’s become to his parents.
I’m adamant that he’s not into much - apart from studies.
Anyway, this is just a bit of fun, and I’ll say when someone guesses correctly or when appropriate.
Regards
Sounds like you raised him right and should be proud, congrats.

A nice gift of any sort is a warm gesture, regardless of the receiver "is into it" or not, most can appreciate that. Strange a lot of forum members here do not.

In any event, wish this was more of a riddle to figure out instead of just guesing, but I'd go with the DSSD based on the highest rating.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:33 AM   #97
SamP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
Perfect, your Son wears the watch and appreciates its, clearly shown by actually wearing it as his weekend watch.

Just in regards some nah sayers, i wore a Rolex at Uni and nobody batted an eyelid. Younger post grads were borrowing decent watches to wear for balls, functions etc.

I think my daughter has earned it, she took her driving test last year while just 17 without us knowing, so she could surprise us and she did with a first time pass.
Do it. Surspise her back. Isn’t it funny how some people find they have to poo poo things, and some people don’t.

Last say, my daughter failed her theory at 17. She’s not reapplied yet and she’s now 21.
Old 4 March 2019, 06:34 AM   #98
Uppersouth
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SWISS
My Dad gave me a Tudor Oyster Prince when I graduated high school. I hadn’t accomplished anything except being his son and he knew I loved watches. I see no problem in you buying watch for your son. He knows your passion for watches and I think he will appreciate your efforts in getting the one he wants. Who knows, this gift may start him down his own journey of collecting. Sounds like you’ve raised him to be responsible with academics, which should be his priority now. I wish you both well!
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:37 AM   #99
SamP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Watches View Post
I bought my first Rolex (which I still own) while I was an undergrad, so it's definitely doable.
I gave my first, a 16233, to my daughter for her 16th. She was thrilled, not because it was a Rolex, but because it had been on my wrist for 24 years! It’s still unpolished and never been serviced.
Old 4 March 2019, 06:41 AM   #100
gttime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Just a thought, but if he really doesn’t care for watches, how about spending the money on a gift that is meaningful to him, not to you?

Thai was my thought as well.
gttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:44 AM   #101
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
I gave my first, a 16233, to my daughter for her 16th. She was thrilled, not because it was a Rolex, but because it had been on my wrist for 24 years! It’s still unpolished and never been serviced.
I'm sure that's a great experience as a parent. My daughter (only child, currently six) loves all my watches and always tries to get me to buy a YG Day-Date so she can have it.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:45 AM   #102
SamP
"TRF" Member

Ok, this is my last post on this thread.
Thanks to all the folks who stood up for me. Cricky, who did I kill?
All those who feel a touch of guilt, learn something from this thread.
We all remember the best thread ever maybe a few years back, which got quite toxic until the OP posted Arctic proving pictures and turned out to know ranulph fiennes etc. Then the denigraters flocked to repent.
Regards to all.

He chose Tudor BB58.
Old 4 March 2019, 06:50 AM   #103
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
My problem is that I have one divorced daughter who never has any money and would pawn anything valuable I gave her. My three grandsons are 13 and 7 (twins). I would have to give my watches to a trusted nephew (our trustee) to give to the boys when they reach 25 or so. I will probably not be around to see if they are treasured and worn or pawned for car money.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:57 AM   #104
Gmt21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1665
Quote:
You know what, Mangoseed, this response totally wipes out all the, let’s say slightly judgemental disparaging responses. Much appreciated.
In fact, time to name his choice. Tudor BB58.
So happy with his choice. It’s tongue in cheek vintage, will at least hold its value and avove all shows humility. I’m sure he knows the worth a Rolex, yet chose this.
Maybe I have done a good job as a father.
My son is 11. I have a birth year 2007 NOS 16600 in the safe deposit box for him when he successfully graduates high school. I grew up in a fairly well to do family, however my father was abusive and very stingy with gift giving. He had a vey nice pm DD.

I won’t repeat that. Life is short. If you have the money, enjoy it and share it generously.

You are being a great father !
Gmt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 07:29 AM   #105
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

A great choice and an appropriate model.

I got an AP Royal Oak for my 18th (over twenty years ago now) and though I love(d) it it was always a bit too shiny and I have only recently begun to feel happy wearing it. For my 21st I got an Aquanaut 5066 (Right back when they launched), and being steel, black face and on a rubber strap, it flew under the radar and suited me much better - so much so that, despite having other watches, I’ve I worn it almost every day since.

I feel that, like the 36mm Aquanaut, the BB58 is awesome without being ostentatious.

In relation to my first post, perhaps in tandem you could strike up a candid chat with your son: perhaps there is something he secretly covets, not watch-related, that you could get him instead or as well. You never know, and asking the question could deepen your relationship.

Anyway, irrespective, I hope he enjoys the BB in good health, and wish him success in his studies.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 07:35 PM   #106
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Son of a WIS

Quote:
Ok, this is my last post on this thread.
Thanks to all the folks who stood up for me. Cricky, who did I kill?
All those who feel a touch of guilt, learn something from this thread.
We all remember the best thread ever maybe a few years back, which got quite toxic until the OP posted Arctic proving pictures and turned out to know ranulph fiennes etc. Then the denigraters flocked to repent.
Regards to all.

He chose Tudor BB58.

Ah a BB58, I had a feeling it would be something like that, a young lad’s dream watch, hence my Submariner guess. That’s a fantastic choice, and surprisingly modest for an 18 year old to go for a Tudor when Rolex is on the cards, sounds like he has a good head.

I will buy both my girls a Rolex when they are 21, same as my parents did for me and my Dads parents did for him, it’s a fun tradition and what kind of self-respecting WIS would pass up an excuse to go watch shopping!?
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 08:08 PM   #107
Pongster
"TRF" Member

My own collection parameters are geared to my sons. I plan to give my entire collection to my two sons when they reach college. So i collect in pairs.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 08:25 PM   #108
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
My vote is an Apple Watch, because that’s the cool watch all his friends have.
Having lost things in college, I wouldn’t recommend giving him something particularly nice. The only thing wrong with the Apple Watch is battery life.
Maybe one of those Tag Heuer smart watches, I’m guessing twice.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 01:32 AM   #109
SamP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
My vote is an Apple Watch, because that’s the cool watch all his friends have.
Having lost things in college, I wouldn’t recommend giving him something particularly nice. The only thing wrong with the Apple Watch is battery life.
Maybe one of those Tag Heuer smart watches, I’m guessing twice.
Hello Brian,

Wrong on both counts I’m afraid. I mentioned a few posts back that it was the Tudor Black Bay 58.
Regards
Old 5 March 2019, 02:02 AM   #110
CLG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash L View Post
Yikes. Sounds like he doesn’t want a watch Dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Just a thought, but if he really doesn’t care for watches, how about spending the money on a gift that is meaningful to him, not to you?

this sums it up

The Tudor is def respectable though, glad you found one that he liked
CLG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 03:55 AM   #111
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Trying to force a son into something he isn't into, especially by giving him an extremely expensive watch is probably not the right way to go about things.

I understand you're wealthy and want to share your success and hobbies with your son but let him grow into his own. Just because he's your son doesn't mean he needs the watch.

I met a son of a wealthy Chinese development mogul and he was rocking a $60k Patek. He didn't really care about the watch. We were talking and I just noticed it and mentioned the model to him and he was like honestly I know it's an expensive watch but I barely know anything about watches. It's just not a great look.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 04:32 AM   #112
tohellyouride
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ap 15400
ap 15500
tohellyouride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 04:36 AM   #113
silkroaded
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, doesn’t wear it to college, but wears it for weekends. The Rolex 1501 is a 1967 34mm early version of a DateJust. It’s probably too delicate for him now.

If you feel she’s earnt the watch, why not gift it to her earlier than she expects. If she wants to wear it, she will. After reading these responses, I wouldn’t ask for advice on the forum though. However a few enlightened folk batted my side.
Regards
Congratulations OP on the approach you have taken to some of the responses to your thread. You sound like a stand up guy and a great dad.

I hope your soon enjoys the watch!
silkroaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 01:40 AM   #114
SamP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
Trying to force a son into something he isn't into, especially by giving him an extremely expensive watch is probably not the right way to go about things.

I understand you're wealthy and want to share your success and hobbies with your son but let him grow into his own. Just because he's your son doesn't mean he needs the watch.

I met a son of a wealthy Chinese development mogul and he was rocking a $60k Patek. He didn't really care about the watch. We were talking and I just noticed it and mentioned the model to him and he was like honestly I know it's an expensive watch but I barely know anything about watches. It's just not a great look.
I understand your point of view, but how do you get to me forcing my son into watches? Everyone needs a watch, even a shitter.
When did I offer to give him an extremely expensive watch?
My idea was for him to choose his own watch, rather than me choosing for him - hence the ratings.
He eventually chose a humble BB58.
This whole thread was a bit of fun to see who could assimilate all the ratings to correctly guess my son’s choice of watch. I never asked advice on wether I should gift him a watch. Too often, people get asked a question, interpret it how they want, then offer a response.
Those who attempted to guess, answered the question correctly.
Those who advised or even question parenting skills, should look in their own backyard.
Those who, as it were, stood up for me - showed their self contentment.
Regards
Old 6 March 2019, 01:45 AM   #115
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
Congrats to both you and your son!

After reading this thread, some people just can't keep their opinions to themselves
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 01:45 AM   #116
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I’m happy for you Sam. It seems you have a very level headed son who is destined for a good life. I’m sure he has made you very proud. Proof of which I think is when he made his choice. Congrats to you, your son and the family as a whole.
Old 6 March 2019, 02:28 AM   #117
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
Trying to force a son into something he isn't into, especially by giving him an extremely expensive watch is probably not the right way to go about things..
its far worse with sports. How many kids get dragged to football practice because their dad played? thats actually harmful as its over and over again every day. getting a kid a watch, no big deal. he either likes it or he doesn't and he wouldn't be forced to wear it.

parents often make their kids do stuff so they can share something together or so the kid can be like them. Most of it is way over the top... like beauty pageant kids

the first time i was "allowed" to quit basketball, was after my freshman year of college. I hated it from the time i was about 10. didn't matter that i was good at it. that was all my parents and it was 10 years of it at least.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 02:28 AM   #118
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Congrats on your son getting into Oxford and reading medicine. BB58 is a great choice. He has good taste.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 02:35 AM   #119
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its far worse with sports. How many kids get dragged to football practice because their dad played? thats actually harmful as its over and over again every day. getting a kid a watch, no big deal. he either likes it or he doesn't.
I suppose I lucked out, my son wants to participate in the sport I “played.” Since I have the means, I provide him with the best tools as are appropriate.

As the son of a professional athlete, the pressure on me was huge. I didn’t want it. I went on to become a professional in a different sport....I won’t put that pressure on my son.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 02:37 AM   #120
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I suppose I lucked out, my son wants to participate in the sport I “played.” Since I have the means, I provide him with the best tools as are appropriate.
if my kids play im fine with it, but its supposed to be fun. Its turned into a year round job in the US. My nephew is 9 and he is on a traveling team and they play competitively every weekend all year round.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote