The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2023, 10:46 PM   #91
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Constantly screwing that manual crown does wear the seals out more quickly, but, yeah, the screw down crown may mitigate the issue. With non-screw crown watches, like a Speedmaster, it’s a risk. Those watches are fine to swim with when new, but it gets riskier as the number of winds go up.
Yeah, that's the problem. With a reasonably accurate automatic watch, you can set it, screw down the crown, and leave the crown -- and seals -- alone for weeks at a time. With a manual-wind watch, screw-down crowns make less sense, because you have to unscrew the crown on likely a daily basis to wind the watch. This is inconvenient and puts wear on the seals. So, most manual-wind watches do not have screw-down crowns, which makes achieving water resistance more difficult. It can be done of course (I have a newish manual-wind watch with 100m of water resistance), but most watch makers wanting to create a watch that is reliably water resistant to 100m or more will take the path of an automatic (or quartz) watch with a screw-down crown.
Commander C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2023, 02:27 AM   #92
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Greater concern (in my opinion) is the threads of the crown and tube, which will wear faster on a daily wound watch v a monthly date corrected watch. The seals, if specified and installed properly, should easily last a couple years with no issues.

There are very specific dimensions and tolerances for manufacturing O-rings, as well as their grooves/pockets. And the latter is further dependent on the intended seal method: internal/external pressure; sliding/static/rotating... you don't just "throw an O-ring in there" and hope for the best...
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2023, 02:37 AM   #93
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
to me the increased power reserve was a feature I didn't know I needed, or rather wanted.

I've really enjoyed taking off a watch on friday evening and returning to me case monday to see it running. It's a nice luxury that I don't think should be a difficult or premium feature for this brand.

To be honest, If they never changed it, I wouldn't have cared, but it seems like not only the next step in the right direction but should be standard for this market.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 11:27 PM   #94
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander C. View Post
The problem with hand-wound movements is that it is more difficult to achieve and maintain water resistance.

The Panerai 915 is a hand wound 8 day power reserve watch that boasts 300metre water resistance. Seems to be possible.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 04:54 AM   #95
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobber76 View Post

The Panerai 915 is a hand wound 8 day power reserve watch that boasts 300metre water resistance. Seems to be possible.
But that probably has something to do with Panerai's use of a leaver system to secure the crown, not a standard screw-in crown. No threads to wear out and also wondering if there's less gasket-on-metal friction from the winding with this setup?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 07:29 AM   #96
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobber76 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
But that probably has something to do with Panerai's use of a leaver system to secure the crown, not a standard screw-in crown. No threads to wear out and also wondering if there's less gasket-on-metal friction from the winding with this setup?
Maybe, but it is a hand wound submersible watch with very extended power reserve. Goal achieved. That was the issue. Plus it's a cool watch.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 12:06 PM   #97
GanymedeWA
"TRF" Member

70 hours or no deal for me.
GanymedeWA is offline   Reply With Quote