The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 October 2022, 09:06 AM   #91
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
I am quite familiar with the lawyers that represent Rolex USA Rolex SA on 5th avenue, INCLUDING TWO SENIOR PARTNERS THERE.

I assure you, that you do not want to mess with them. You do Not want to threaten ROLEX, that means even proposing that as a recourse or option to escalate things if they don't meet your demands. You don't want to do any of that.

Express that you are upset, that you are unhappy, and nicely ask for an alternative option.

About 10 or 15 years ago, someone had a beautiful vintage GMT master, and I believe one of the vice presidents allowed the switch to a new GMT. The old GMT what subject to a very poor polish from RSC. An action like that is extremely uncommon. That's not a trf story.

However, there is a TRF story regarding a Kermit, 16610lv, and Rolex was very generous and made that person whole with a new case and lasering of the serial. You don't seem as likeable. Lol. Just kidding.

There are many other examples, but in the grand scheme of things, these remedies are extremely extremely rare, and most of the time, even if they do make a mistake, the customer is happy with a free service, or discount on a future service, etc, and then just goes away.

They are quite familiar with this timepiece. They know that their actions caused it to lose collectibility or value.

Also, I believe this type of runaround is somewhat planned and calculated. There was a time that you can get to the executive team and then escalate high up to the executive team, but they have changed those rules in the last several years, internally.

Anyway, you are not going to get a new white Daytona 500ln. Edit.... You are not going to get a new one not because they don't sell watches. If they wanted to get you a new one, they would pull a timepiece and allocated to one of the authorized Jewelers that are situated close to your residence, and they would coordinate with the owner/director to hand off to you. They're not going to do that here for you.

If you get a lawyer, you're going to have to go to arbitration in New York. You are likely going to have to travel to New York. You cannot file a lawsuit in Superior Court. You have agreed to venue I believe. You will likely have to pay attorney's fees. I'm not your lawyer and I'm not giving you legal advice by the way. You can consult whoever you want. I'm just going to give you my input.

Now if you go to arbitration, since you sign that you will go to arbitration, what do you think is going to happen when you go to arbitration. Do you think the arbitrator is going to give you $10,000 or a brand new modern rolex? I highly doubt it. But if you want to do that, you will have to first find a lawyer that would even want to take your case, you will be responsible for fees if you lose, and by the way you are going to have to pay the arbitration proceedings fees from the outset.

The absolute most, most, most that you would get from Rolex now would be a mid case from Geneva Switzerland that they would laser for you with matching serial number. That will take months to complete, and you better tread very carefully, and be extremely nice and sincere in order for them to consider this option, which they almost never do. And it's probably too late for that anyway.

Instead, they much prefer giving you a service mid-case, with a service serial number, or another case that's used, without a matching serial. That's probably not an option either because it won't have any patina and the wear will not match the bracelet.

Actually, on third thought, they're not going to give you a brand new MID case and laser it in Geneva with the matching serial number to your card -- because they would then have to give you a brand new bracelet and clasp on top of that, and it's unlikely for them to do that.

And they have probably documented your approach and attitude so they may be less inclined to go above and beyond for you.

And there you go. I'm sorry that this happened to you, and you are in the right.

But, the best advice I can give you is just to have a very kind and respectful attitude. Let them know that you are upset and what this does to you, and how you love the brand, but don't turn against them or threaten them. It's only going to hurt you.

Try your best not to get too upset. You will likely only hurt yourself and hurt your chances of getting a fair and somewhat satisfactory outcome.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Mate, you make Rolex sounds like a gang or dangerous criminals who should not be messed with. I have more trust in the legal system then that.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 09:10 AM   #92
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
After replacing mid-case, tech forced to wear polished one on a chain around their neck. A scarlet letter of sorts.

It’s also not clear it was the servicing tech, as opposed to whomever distributes the watches internally losing the customer instructions.
A fair consideration but the instructions should be written on the very receipt that accompanies the watch?

not sure how many have had the experience of visiting the Rscny? The thing that makes all of this more unacceptable and heinous is the attitude and environment. Before any communication occurs You are “asked” to put your watch on a velvet tray (immediately this gives a false impression that they give a fk) then the watch is taken behind a solid door where, as a priority the serial number is recorded for their internal purposes.

Eventually the watch comes back out on the velvet tray, (they put it back on there after the service guy drags it across rocks) and your wish list of service is discussed.

Old 16 October 2022, 09:18 AM   #93
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysw View Post
And those who are saying that it is just a modern daytona or not a big deal, it is not for you to decide. The owner of the watch decide whether it is a big deal for him/her or not.
If it goes to arbitration, it will not be decided by the OP. The arbitrator follows a principle of proportionality IF the error is deemed to have caused any monetary damages.

Would likely be the difference in price between an unpolished 2005 116520 and a polished one. Perhaps a few thousand at most (presuming enough reliable representative data could be gathered).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 09:24 AM   #94
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Jeff,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear what you had to endure. It sucks and I get it. I believe in a total return picture, asking for a free service, matching bracelet polish and maybe a box of chocolate from Rolex to apologize may be the best outcome.

Time is precious unless you have a lot to spend on this unfortunate situation.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 09:28 AM   #95
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Mate, you make Rolex sounds like a gang or dangerous criminals who should not be messed with. I have more trust in the legal system then that.
I took it more as: This is a company used to going to court, has done so many times over the years (largely for trademark/IP prosecution purposes) and has a firm on retainer used to representing its interests. The conclusion to draw is that "scare them with a lawyer's letter and I'll get what I want" is a fool's errand here - ever see the episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer goes around challenging everyone to a duel?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 09:37 AM   #96
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Free service

Get the band polished to match

Take the L

Make new memories with a free serviced great looking watch.

Fighting these massive companies like Rolex, Apple, and on and on you’re just not gonna win. Off topic just tried to battle Directv, long story,and they also didn’t want to settle my way. They wanted to settle their way. Took what I could and said F it.

Is what it is. If it were your Exp or Red Sub maybe dig in and go to war. A 2005 116520 not so much. But good luck. Wish you the best
Old 16 October 2022, 09:54 AM   #97
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub 2005
I think it's possible that you're missing another (easy) option here.

First, do not swap your case.

Instead of polishing your band to match the now polished case, a good jeweler can replicate an original Rolex brushed finish on your original case for less effort than polishing your band.

Direct them to do this instead.

While polishing and then brush finishing your case may result in removing old character marks, that may not make as much difference to you as having it fully polished.

Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 09:56 AM   #98
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Your first mistake was sending a 2005 watch not under warranty through an AD. RSC is very user friendly, and communication may have been better dealing directly with RSC on the service. Your watch was not damaged. Your best option is to have the bracelet polished and move on from this with the discount offered. To even suggest you should get a new 2022 model as compensation is not at all reasonable. From what I understand, Rolex protocol is to polish the watches as needed in a service, so they thought it was needed and an improvement to the overall watch. Virtually, every used older Rolex for sale in the used market with any regular wear is touched up somewhat by someone, in spite of what the sellers say. It is impossible not to scratch the flat surfaces unless the watch was worn with protective tape. Even watches with a nice "patina" need touching up in areas to fetch top dollar.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 09:59 AM   #99
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I have found that when things like this happen, that can’t really be undone, it doesn’t really do any good to act mad or make ridiculous requests. In fact, I have found that if I’m nice and understanding, it’s almost always gets made right in the end.

Recently the AD made a mistake and I missed out on a limited watch. I said these things happen. Despite being told two weeks before I was looking for at a year plus wait on a Polar Explorer2, one came through in 6 weeks. I was told it was appreciated that I was so understanding about the error.

This also works in restaurants. Being nice and understanding is almost always going to get you the better result.

If something can be reasonably fixed, by all means stand your ground. But if nothing can be done reasonably? Just accept it as a mistake made by humans and move on. It usually comes back to you.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 10:07 AM   #100
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Personally, I would politely explain what you did in terms of the mistake, the price difference, etc. At the end of the day, it’s a mistake and they do happen. I would ask them to sell you a new Daytona of your choice at MSRP.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 10:13 AM   #101
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
Personally, I would politely explain what you did in terms of the mistake, the price difference, etc. At the end of the day, it’s a mistake and they do happen. I would ask them to sell you a new Daytona of your choice at MSRP.
As someone said, RSC repairs watches, they do not sell them. Independent ADs do that. Perhaps, OP can speak to this AD and move to the top of their Daytona list with a very polite tactful discussion. Cannot hurt to ask.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 10:20 AM   #102
jw911c2@aol.com
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1655
I appreciate everyone’s help. Hopefully, I get some resolution this week and I will post what happens. Have a great weekend!
jw911c2@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 10:23 AM   #103
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I took it more as: This is a company used to going to court, has done so many times over the years (largely for trademark/IP prosecution purposes) and has a firm on retainer used to representing its interests. The conclusion to draw is that "scare them with a lawyer's letter and I'll get what I want" is a fool's errand here - ever see the episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer goes around challenging everyone to a duel?
I dont see it that way, usually the more someone try to bully me, the more I stand up for my rights. So I would not be scared of Rolex, if of course I believe I am in the right. So my suggestion to the op remains the same to not to settle for a solution that is not satisfactory for him.
Old 16 October 2022, 10:26 AM   #104
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I have found that when things like this happen, that can’t really be undone, it doesn’t really do any good to act mad or make ridiculous requests. In fact, I have found that if I’m nice and understanding, it’s almost always gets made right in the end.

Recently the AD made a mistake and I missed out on a limited watch. I said these things happen. Despite being told two weeks before I was looking for at a year plus wait on a Polar Explorer2, one came through in 6 weeks. I was told it was appreciated that I was so understanding about the error.

This also works in restaurants. Being nice and understanding is almost always going to get you the better result.

If something can be reasonably fixed, by all means stand your ground. But if nothing can be done reasonably? Just accept it as a mistake made by humans and move on. It usually comes back to you.
I think the definition of reasonable in this case is subjective. It is quite reasonable in my view for Rolex to offer him a new daytona given they have made a mistake to his watch which cannot be undone. Very reasonable request by op.
Old 16 October 2022, 10:28 AM   #105
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
if David took the advice of all RSC apologists here, he'd have cancelled his duel with Goliath!

OP, tackle this head on and do so with a cool head & tactfully.
This issue should be resolved to your total satisfaction. Customer service should really mean something, especially from the Crown. Keep us posted!
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 11:02 AM   #106
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

RSC NY damaged my watch

Quote:
I think the definition of reasonable in this case is subjective. It is quite reasonable in my view for Rolex to offer him a new daytona given they have made a mistake to his watch which cannot be undone. Very reasonable request by op.

Reasonable is what most most people would consider a fair outcome. Not what it will take to make one person happy. 10,000 dollars or a brand new Daytona isn’t happening. And most people would not consider it reasonable. Even on here, where the no-polish sentiment is the absolute highest most people don’t consider that a reasonable solution.
Once you accept that it isn’t happening, you have two choices: 1) make a fuss, threaten legal action etc and almost certainly get no relief at all or 2) be reasonable accept the mistake and ask for one of the many options listed here.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 11:06 AM   #107
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
A lawyer!!

Old 16 October 2022, 11:19 AM   #108
calebb90
Banned

I think they should give you a rainbow Daytona and a house in the Hamptons. Know your worth, babe!
calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 11:26 AM   #109
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
I would ask for the to polish the band (so case and band match) and then ask them to comp the service 100%.
pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 11:35 AM   #110
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
Yeah, I'd be pissed off about this as well. Sadly, there are quite a few stories like yours where RSC does things they were not instructed to do. Unauthorized polishing, dial swaps, hand swaps and even one case told on TRF about them changing out the whole case! I don't understand how they keep doing these types of things? Don't they have some sort of organized work order system in a computer or something? This is high end and expensive stuff, and not a fast food joint. I figured they would have the whole process very organized and structured, so that mistakes are minimal to almost non existent.

With that said, the polishing has been done, and they cannot unpolish your watch obviously. Sourcing out an original 2005 full set or $10K cash is safe to say that's not gonna happen. However, I feel them selling you a brand new 116500 Panda is not unreasonable. If they could do that deal, plus you get to keep your watch, I would definitely go for that. It's not like you're asking for something impossible like a brand new 6239 Daytona full set or similar. Obviously RSC is Rolex, and I'm sure somebody in there has some power to pull some strings and get you a Panda. Besides, if they sell you that watch, they are making money anyway. So in that case they "win", plus ZERO money out of their "pocket" to settle this. I would personally try to push on that solution.
It seems you haven’t read any of the 85 or so post prior to yours.
Old 16 October 2022, 11:40 AM   #111
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
if David took the advice of all RSC apologists here, he'd have cancelled his duel with Goliath!

OP, tackle this head on and do so with a cool head & tactfully.
This issue should be resolved to your total satisfaction. Customer service should really mean something, especially from the Crown. Keep us posted!
Anyone can make up a story to appease the feeble minds of Iron Age Mesopotamia. Not necessarily good advice for a hard headed watch owner in 21st century Alabama.
Old 16 October 2022, 11:44 AM   #112
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Rolex will play hard ball to defend their position, just like any company would; just like the OP is posturing to do, only he doesn’t have resources to match, never mind his much weaker position.

If you have that much faith in the legal system, why not offer to foot the legal expenses for the OP?
Old 16 October 2022, 11:51 AM   #113
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw911c2@aol.com View Post
3 months ago my A.D. sent out my 2005 stainless steel Daytona with a white face that I am the original owner oo for service. I specifically told them that the watch was not to be polished in any way and just to be serviced. First, about 10 days ago someone who works at my AD calls me telling me that Rolex has finished polishing my case and they want to know if I would like to have the band polished to match? I was like is this a joke? I specifically asked for it not to be polished. My A.D. takes photographs of the watch prior to shipping it off to the Rolex service center in New York. I walked into my AD and they showed me a letter that I now have a copy of from the Rolex service center that says “we mistakenly refinished the case of the watch. Would your customer like to have the band refinished to match the case?” I called the Rolex service center and have spoken to three different representatives and basically I am getting a run around. They asked me what I would like for them to do and I told them to either give me a 2005 Rolex Daytona with box and papers with original patina that has never been polished or that I would take a white dial 2022 brand new Daytona. I also told them they could give me back my watch and $10,000 which is about the price differential that I see on other major reselling sites. They have never called me back and I reached out to them yesterday morning and they offered me a 30% discount off the service or they could get me an old stock case in several months that would have the wrong serial number and so now I would no longer have matching papers to my watch. I told them that was completely unacceptable and that I needed to speak to a manager and I was a assured that I would get a call back yesterday. No call back. When I spoke to the 3 different customer service representatives they said “we are only a service center and we don’t sell watches.” If you click on the service center’s website it shows you all of the brand new 2022 models that are available to purchase. I do not feel that my AD is advocating for me. I don’t want to get lawyers involved but I need to be made whole again. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
If you are that unhappy I would request the service to be free and just sell the watch if you can’t bear to look at it.
ronricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 11:53 AM   #114
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SUB LV-C/Pepsi C
RSC NY damaged my watch

The problem with the “sell me a new Daytona” ask is that the AD has to decide if it’s worth it to keep you as a customer. Rolex really doesn’t have any control over who the ADs sell to. You are literally appealing to a part of the company that doesn’t have any control over these mistakes made by RSC and don’t want to essentially take a hit by selling a rare watch to one of their complaining, not high spending customer.

Are they supposed to do this every time RSC makes a mistake like this? Seems bad for their business for the AD to continue to send watches to RSC for people making basically nothing for doing it. And potentially having to rectify RSCs errors in this way.

Be polite, take the loss, imo get the new mid case with paperwork stating the replacement with old serial xxxxxxx for new serial xxxxxxx. Shouldn’t devalue a modern Rolex really in any way if done this way.

If not just get the bracelet polished and move on. If the polish job is good you shouldn’t be able to tell after a year or 2 of use.
Old 16 October 2022, 12:31 PM   #115
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

keep us updated. I would talk to AD manager and see if they can keep you in mind for a new SS.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 12:47 PM   #116
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Rolex will play hard ball to defend their position, just like any company would; just like the OP is posturing to do, only he doesn’t have resources to match, never mind his much weaker position.

If you have that much faith in the legal system, why not offer to foot the legal expenses for the OP?
It is a small claims matter in the US as long as the OP has realistic expectations (which he apparently may not). So technically no attorney needed and Rolex would likely not pay an attorney to defend a losing case.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 12:56 PM   #117
mfm22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
There are many accounts of RSCNY polishing a watch when specifically told not to.

If it happens once it’s an accident… if it happens again it’s on purpose.

For a company that is so meticulous in all of its processes, it defies the imagination how there wouldn’t be simple checks and balances to insure unwelcome polishing does not happen.

Hence my earlier post… the watches are handled carelessly and polished to hide that carelessness
This ^^ makes sense .
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 01:10 PM   #118
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
OP, I had a Cellini that was NOS that I sent in to RSC for service in 2018. Since I was the first owner and bought from an AD, it was actually covered under warranty. Right before I sent it, I removed the caseback sticker. It was mirror finish, pristine yellow gold. I figured they were going to take the sticker off during service, so I wanted to see it.

When I received the watch back, it was covered in microscratches. My theory is that it was wiped with a dirty or rough polishing cloth.

At first, RSC offered a free polish or a discount on a new caseback. After some back and forth, they offered to replace the caseback.

Unfortunately, this gave me a new serial number. They refused anything else. They gave me a letter for my documentation, but it still annoyed me.

If I were you, I'd just take the new case they're offering and try to get to keep your old one. Regarding your bracelet, if it's all scratched up, then perhaps you should push for a new bracelet. If you could get a new case and bracelet, then that would more than satisfactory to me personally.

The watch isn't THAT old, so getting those two parts new probably aren't clearly "service" parts. It'll be like getting a new watch. I personally don't like polishing much, so I understand where you're coming from, but you've got an uphill battle for anything greater than what I've described here.
MRBolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 01:20 PM   #119
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I dont see it that way, usually the more someone try to bully me, the more I stand up for my rights. So I would not be scared of Rolex, if of course I believe I am in the right. So my suggestion to the op remains the same to not to settle for a solution that is not satisfactory for him.
Because in this case, he will spend far more trying to get what he wants.

I would not be afraid of Rolex Lawyers one bit **IF** I had a legitimate case against Rolex and **IF** the money was worth spending to get the outcome I desired.

In this case I don't think the fight is worth it as the monetary gain is just not there for me. Get the bracelet done and see if they will drop the service costs to 0.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 02:06 PM   #120
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissmadeTexan View Post
The problem with the “sell me a new Daytona” ask is that the AD has to decide if it’s worth it to keep you as a customer. Rolex really doesn’t have any control over who the ADs sell to. You are literally appealing to a part of the company that doesn’t have any control over these mistakes made by RSC and don’t want to essentially take a hit by selling a rare watch to one of their complaining, not high spending customer.

Are they supposed to do this every time RSC makes a mistake like this? Seems bad for their business for the AD to continue to send watches to RSC for people making basically nothing for doing it. And potentially having to rectify RSCs errors in this way.

Be polite, take the loss, imo get the new mid case with paperwork stating the replacement with old serial xxxxxxx for new serial xxxxxxx. Shouldn’t devalue a modern Rolex really in any way if done this way.

If not just get the bracelet polished and move on. If the polish job is good you shouldn’t be able to tell after a year or 2 of use.
It's certainly not like the OP is a frequent buyer either as he only has a few watches that go back to ancient times.
Taken at face value i imagine the dealer may grade him at or near the bottom of the valued customer list.
The customers name may well be at the top of the black list if he carries on like a wild duck about it when the offer of a matching bracelet polish for nothing would be in accordance with what a reasonable person would be satisfied with.
Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote