The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 April 2011, 06:36 PM   #91
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Having read all your posts Peter why is it such a problem for buyers to know when their watch was made?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2011, 06:56 PM   #92
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Having read all your posts Peter why is it such a problem for buyers to know when their watch was made?
Thats it you could never tell 100% when a completed watch was made or when the movement was made.Only a approximation when a case was stamped,and lets be honest watches don't go off.And the changes to most Rolex models over the past 20 odd years are hardly worth a mention.And if bought new from AD you get the same warranty no matter what the case stamp can understand if a model has completely changed you would get the changed model.But when you go and buy say a TV you don't ask when that was made you just buy it if you want it.Rolex watches will out last there owners in most cases anyway no matter what the case stamp is.Its only since the Internet started all this hysteria about case stamps,holograms, boxes,sticky-back plastic,hang-tags, will it go up down etc ££££££$$$$$$$.Just cannot think of any other brand where in most cases, bits of plastic, case stamps, boxes etc seem more important than the history of Rolex or the actual watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2011, 07:03 PM   #93
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Thats it you could never tell 100% when a completed watch was made or when the movement was made.Only a approximation when a case was stamped,and lets be honest watches don't go off.And the changes to most Rolex models over the past 20 odd years are hardly worth a mention.And if bought new from AD you get the same warranty no matter what the case stamp can understand if a model has completely changed you would get the changed model.But when you go and buy say a TV you don't ask when that was made you just buy it if you want it.Rolex watches will out last there owners in most cases anyway no matter what the case stamp is.Its only since the Internet started all this hysteria about case stamps,holograms, boxes,sticky-back plastic,hang-tags, will it go up down etc ££££££$$$$$$$.Just cannot think of any other brand where in most cases, bits of plastic, case stamps, boxes etc seem more important than the history of Rolex or the actual watch.
well said
when i've shopped for a preloved piece i've always targeted the ones with no box/papers/stickers and instead focused on overall condition
Old 4 April 2011, 07:10 PM   #94
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I see.
I have an old DJ and inside the case it is stamped 11.71.
I like that because it gives me a baseline for the history give or take a few years for your case-movement-bracelet assembly time.
Wouldn't it be nice to have the same information when you find an old 2011 Rolex in 2060?
Just my 2c Peter.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2011, 07:18 PM   #95
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I see.
I have an old DJ and inside the case it is stamped 11.71.
I like that because it gives me a baseline for the history give or take a few years for your case-movement-bracelet assembly time.
Wouldn't it be nice to have the same information when you find an old 2011 Rolex in 2060?
Just my 2c Peter.
Well Eddie I have a few from the 1920s and they are still alive and ticking,and expect they will still be ticking when my ticker stops.And as long as any watch keeps good time who cares when it was made.And with anything mechanical if no service history its always prudent to have it serviced anyway no matter what the case stamp is.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 April 2011, 11:21 PM   #96
TKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118339 Meteorite
Maybe it's too early to assume it's "random"? Just like a vin number on a vehicle where the 10th number/letter represents the year of production. Maybe time will tell if that's the same situation with the new numbers? I'm sure rolex themselves would like to know the year of production if only to justify service costs.

WG DD Diamond Meteorite CC "Z"
SS DJ Tux Dial Roulette Wheel "M"
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2011, 11:37 PM   #97
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
I disagree. Knowing the age is important for three reasons. Service history and potential service costs, movement and other updates, relative value based on wear and tear ( a 2005 BMW is worth less than a 2009 BMW). I believe this was an intentional move on the part of Rolex to counter gray market and used sellers/dealers by making the purchase of a gray or used watch more difficult for the consumer and force going to an AD.
Old 4 April 2011, 11:53 PM   #98
TKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118339 Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by watch professor View Post
i disagree. Knowing the age is important for three reasons. Service history and potential service costs, movement and other updates, relative value based on wear and tear ( a 2005 bmw is worth less than a 2009 bmw). I believe this was an intentional move on the part of rolex to counter gray market and used sellers/dealers by making the purchase of a gray or used watch more difficult for the consumer and force going to an ad.
+1

WG DD Diamond Meteorite CC "Z"
SS DJ Tux Dial Roulette Wheel "M"
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2011, 12:05 AM   #99
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know whether fans/collectors of other mass-produced, Swiss luxury brands like Omega and Breitling also worry about serial numbers?
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2011, 12:11 AM   #100
Speed
"TRF" Member

Seems to be less readily available info re: Omega at least.

However, as Padi says...the info nay be suspect.

Gives folks something to talk about though, doesn't it?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2011, 12:22 AM   #101
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
Does anyone know whether fans/collectors of other mass-produced, Swiss luxury brands like Omega and Breitling also worry about serial numbers?
I would seriously doubt it, just cannot see why this case date stuff its all that important when buying a new watch from a AD.With hardly a change to Rolex movements or most models over the past 20 plus years.Today yes we have some with the in-house escapement parts and a few updated new/old models,but will a X.Y.Z or any other letter or case number be better more long lasting than any other Rolex made in the last 20- 40 plus years.Its a case stamp nothing more than a letter or number on a case.Its a approximation when a case was stamped,now how old the main bit the movement in that case well only Rolex knows that one.And can assure they are not made to order by the day week or year.Just because its got the latest stamp don't always mean you got the newest made complete watch its just perceived newer by some Internet code.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 5 April 2011, 02:40 AM   #102
DHG0388
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
In some other types of manufacturing, the serial numbers are random so as to keep the competition from getting an idea of how many units of certain models are being produced. From this the competition could get an idea of which market was worth more to try and compete in.

Seems to me that this would not be a concern because you would not be able to tell if it the SN unit was a 26mm lady's date just or a Submariner.

I find it kind of interesting that if I buy a used Dell computer I can go to their website and see when it was originally shipped on, what the original configuration was and how much warranty time is left.
DHG0388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2011, 04:30 AM   #103
risico

Watch: GV LV SSDaytona
So when I buy another sub in 10 years from now I won't know if it's straight from the factory or its been coagulating oil for 5-10 years...

Buying a watch based on condition is a great idea but let's not forget to include the condition of the movement.
risico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2011, 04:40 AM   #104
Rolesium
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Professor View Post
I disagree. Knowing the age is important for three reasons. Service history and potential service costs, movement and other updates, relative value based on wear and tear ( a 2005 BMW is worth less than a 2009 BMW)...
I have a feeling that from this point forward, people are going to be very careful about keeping their purchase papers. Then you'll know the age, and you'll have an idea whether or not it's needing an overhaul soon.

The "time on the shelf" prior to original sale is irrelevant, IMHO.

Watches lacking papers will be devalued more than they are now, I believe. Because of that I have a feeling there will be fewer that lack papers in the future.
Rolesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2011, 06:29 AM   #105
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post
Information leads to greater enthusiasm.
Not with Rolex - with them I would say lack of knowledge creates greater enthusiasm. Otherwise we would not be discussinfg this topic for example.
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2011, 06:37 AM   #106
usbzoso
Banned

Watch: 16610/16600/16800
if i pay for a product i am entitled to know when it was made ... condition of the watch can always be over exaggerated ... polish the case/bracelet etc, watch might look brand new while the movement inside is not! Knowing exact year of production gives a good gauge for when to service the watch.

Last edited by usbzoso; 5 April 2011 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: typo
usbzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2011, 08:33 AM   #107
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolesium View Post
I have a feeling that from this point forward, people are going to be very careful about keeping their purchase papers. Then you'll know the age, and you'll have an idea whether or not it's needing an overhaul soon.

The "time on the shelf" prior to original sale is irrelevant, IMHO.

Watches lacking papers will be devalued more than they are now, I believe. Because of that I have a feeling there will be fewer that lack papers in the future.
With all the talk of random ID numbers, they are no longer serial numbers, this issue never entered my mind.

But, it is a valid and interesting point. Point well taken!
mrbill2mrbill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2011, 08:38 AM   #108
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB View Post
Maybe it's too early to assume it's "random"? Just like a vin number on a vehicle where the 10th number/letter represents the year of production. Maybe time will tell if that's the same situation with the new numbers? I'm sure rolex themselves would like to know the year of production if only to justify service costs.
I think you are correct. There is/will be a certain digit(s) or combination of digit(s) locations to determine the year of production. It will just take some time for WISs to figure it out.
mrbill2mrbill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2011, 06:50 PM   #109
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by risico View Post
So when I buy another sub in 10 years from now I won't know if it's straight from the factory or its been coagulating oil for 5-10 years...

Buying a watch based on condition is a great idea but let's not forget to include the condition of the movement.
Well with any mechanical bought second hand item if you have no service history its always prudent to have a service done anyway.And no matter what the case stamp is Rolex watches will last for decades that why so many vintage one are in this world today and in there days they used mineral type oils.Since the late 1990s Rolex have used synthetic oils,quite a few years ago now I bought several Rolex Tudors from a guy in Germany,now these were from a huge collection all from the late 1960s early 1970s.All were BNIB never been worn boxes tags papers etc,and as far as I know not even wound since bought new, but I tried them all before buying all ran perfect.Now I sold most but kept a few and one lady Tudor for the wife,now this watch was from late 1969 early 1970s and sat in its box for over 30 years unused.But all I did was give it a full wind and it started straight away and kept excellent time,but after a month I gave it to my watchmaker friend to give it a service and check over.He remarked there was still oil on the vital parts and movement was still in a as new condition seals looked good to so he just gave it a oil and service and case back seal that was around 8 to 9 years ago.Now wife wears this watch almost daily and it still keeps remarkable time for a old timer,but now not quite in such a mint condition but due for a service soon.So today with the modern synthetic oils used ,cannot see any problem if a watch is stored 5-10 years or even longer.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club