The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 August 2007, 03:54 AM   #91
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoysterdj View Post
Absolutely...I am purchasing 2 rolex's in 2 week (1 a week lol)...A dd blue vignette @ the AD and my daytona (which is already paid for) is coming via DHL friday...After these 2 im not buying a new watch for a year, at least probbably a few years..Now i'll be a slave to american express for the next few months paying these 2 watches off...When they offered me a platinum card and I said yes, that was probbably the worst decision I ever made...
Cancelling the Amex platinum is probably the best way to pay for the Rollie. With their new fees (and downgraded benefits) my wife and I would be at about $625 in annual fees. 8 years of annual fees, not counting the inevitable fee increase, pays for a SS Sub or GMT.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 04:00 AM   #92
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
Sometimes I feel a tad guilty, but my wife has been great about it and doesn't make me regret it at all.
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 06:30 AM   #93
S2000 Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Datum ß
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
Cancelling the Amex platinum is probably the best way to pay for the Rollie. With their new fees (and downgraded benefits) my wife and I would be at about $625 in annual fees. 8 years of annual fees, not counting the inevitable fee increase, pays for a SS Sub or GMT.
Cancel an AmEx Black and see how much money you save!

US$2,500 annual fee = new SS Sub Date in 2 years!

Old 29 August 2007, 06:42 AM   #94
ldmarcht

Watch: Rolex Daytona SS
What amazes me is the amount of money it takes to get something really worth owning. But then once you own a Rolex you realize what the differences really are. I owned a Seamaster for years and loved it (gave it to my son) and during those years I couldn't justify splurging on a Submariner. But after being offered the deal of a lifetime on a SS Daytona and then realizing I needed a Sub as well, it all seems to make sense. Now I'm focused on getting a collection of Rolex's different movements, not to mention watch styles. In reality you're only spending the amount of the depreciation, as the robust for sale section of the forum well indicates....

LM
ldmarcht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 06:47 AM   #95
S2000 Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmarcht View Post
...But after being offered the deal of a lifetime on a SS Daytona and then realizing I needed a Sub as well, it all seems to make sense...

LM

That's when you should become frightened, very frightened!
Old 29 August 2007, 06:53 AM   #96
D2JP
"TRF" Member

Watch: ExpII-BLK, X-ser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by real deal View Post
I just bought a brand new SS SUBMARINER W/DATE 5000.00 dollars. I got home and thought about it and said out loud I must be out of my mind. Has anyone else had these thoughts about spending this much money on a watch?? Let me know please
Yes!

13 years ago my ExplorerII sold for $2150. I worked for a sales agency, the owner of which had a huge (insane) Rolex collection..he thought every successful sales person should have a Rolex. He created a sales incentive for me where he would pay half for a Rolex if I acheived a certain quota. After much deliberation, I chose the ExplorerII with black dial. I met the quota and then had to tell my wife that instead of a bonus, I had to PAY $1100 to the company!

She finally agreed - our first child had just been born so this was not an easy decision. I still love the watch (and the wife), wear it everyday and pretty much have since new. I just looked at one in a dealer's case last weekend and it was almost $5000. My watch still keeps very good time, looks good with a suit or t-shirt and IMO will never go out of style.

Now, I consider myself pretty smart for spending that much on a watch and having a very cool wife!

Wear that Sub everyday, have it serviced by Rolex every 5 years or so and it will literally last forever
D2JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 06:55 AM   #97
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 Driver View Post
Cancel and AmEx Black and see how much money you save!

I'm waiting for the $200-limit secured cards to go black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmarcht View Post
What amazes me is the amount of money it takes to get something really worth owning. But then once you own a Rolex you realize what the differences really are. I owned a Seamaster for years and loved it (gave it to my son) and during those years I couldn't justify splurging on a Submariner. But after being offered the deal of a lifetime on a SS Daytona and then realizing I needed a Sub as well, it all seems to make sense. Now I'm focused on getting a collection of Rolex's different movements, not to mention watch styles. In reality you're only spending the amount of the depreciation, as the robust for sale section of the forum well indicates....

LM
I look at it as if we are simply moving the money into a different account. The account on my wrist. Unless the thing is stolen or damaged, the money is always there, minus an initial depreciation hit. Sure, it's not the best investment, but it's really not a huge expense. Maybe $.50/day for 25 years if you buy a SS Sub or GMT today. I can live without my afternoon Snickers bar.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 07:15 AM   #98
ldmarcht

Besides I can wear that SS Daytona for years and sell if for more than I paid! And the sub is COOL as well. I do have the hots for a pepsi GMT II though....
Old 29 August 2007, 07:54 AM   #99
greenfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710 Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridadogg View Post
I have never seen an armored car in a funeral procession.
Very well said
Old 29 August 2007, 07:58 AM   #100
Ck8
"TRF" Member

A mechanic watch is a work of art and the craftsmanship and the design. So what is price on art? Beats 28800 per hour and some I have had spot on accuracy day after day.
I rather spend £4000 on a watch than £4000 on a car that you leave in the street.
Ck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 08:04 AM   #101
ldmarcht

A rolex is a lot easier to clean than a Porsche! And people usually don't try to run into you or cut you off just because you're wearing a rolex.
Old 29 August 2007, 08:40 AM   #102
mostel
"TRF" Member

Wait til you spend 10!

When, not if. You got the bug.
mostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 09:11 AM   #103
AndrewG

I worked long and saved hard for my Explorer; a musician working bars has to endure periods of being completely broke but I was determined to have one eventually. A good, reliable watch is as valuable to me as a quality guitar is; I don't buy either for bragging rights but simply because they do the job well and I don't want, or need, more than one of each.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 09:57 AM   #104
BLSampson
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Submariner
As long as your house is in order (spiritual, mental, and physical) just do it. Many God fearing people in the Old Testament were rich. They didn't place their priorities in things, but in relationships.
Old 29 August 2007, 11:05 AM   #105
brownoysterdj

I was originally planning on getting a new truck this month and was almost there in terms of savings because I didn't want to just fork over the platinum card without proper finance in the bank, however I chose to purchase 2 rolex's instead and that set me back quite a bit :-p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPp2HlIMkmU - thought it was pretty cool/funny check it out
brownoysterdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 11:09 AM   #106
brownoysterdj

Quote:

Is that your black card?? I thought 400$ annual fee was alot for the plat but jeez 2500 is on another level...But I guess the people who have black's can wipe there but with 2500
brownoysterdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 04:39 PM   #107
seanbrooklyn

Watch: explorer 114270
you know , I thought about it before I bought my watch in june and I came to the point where, I make a good living, my family has what they want/need, and I never I mean never treat myself to much of anything, Its all about the wife and kids for me, so my wife says, look, you work hard and dont spend your money on anything for yourself, you deserve it... We walked out of the AD with it on my wrist so bottom line, its my only real indulgence, so I enjoy it regarless of the cost.
seanbrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 05:05 PM   #108
Downing
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD ExpII GO Nav ND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridadogg View Post
A guy inherited $1,000,000.00. He spent $500,000 on women, gambled $480,000 away in Vegas and wasted the rest on a new Daytona.
Hey, that reminds me of this story a while back in the local newspaper:

Bye-bye love and $400,000
Posted by The Oregonian July 13, 2007

Police say Gary Joseph Sparks was looking for love. And he temporarily found it — after he swindled more than $400,000 out of people who gave him the money to invest in real estate.

Police say Sparks, 64, burned through that money in less than four months by spending it on a male prostitute with whom he hoped to build a long-term relationship.

Sparks is accused of taking the 23-year-old man on extravagant shopping sprees in Portland and Hollywood, Calif. — spending $72,000 on a Mercedes convertible, $9,000 on a Rolex watch, $41,000 for a one-year lease on a West Hollywood apartment, $3,000 on a Louis Vuitton gym bag and more than $40,000 on clothes from high-end retailers such as Saks Fifth Avenue. And after buying all those clothes, Sparks spent another $2,000 getting them altered.

Portland police Detective Andy Madden said Sparks' case is not unusual for the amount of money he stole, but for the lavish way he spent it. Investigators don't believe Sparks spent any of the money on himself.

Sparks was indicted this week on 32 felony counts of charges related to securities fraud and theft. Sparks declined to comment.

Detective Madden said Sparks made a point of telling him that he didn't fritter away all of the money on shopping sprees, $400 breakfasts and $1,000 night hotel rooms with the young man.

Sparks told the detective that he used $200 of it to buy gift certificates for two needy recipients at the food bank.

Hey, the guy had the good taste to buy a Rolex. He can't be that crazy.

Rolex Explorer II White
Rolex Sea-Dweller
Glashütte Original Navigator
Panerai 183 G Black Seal
Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 05:21 PM   #109
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Detective Andy Madden. Worked patrol with him for years. One of the best cops I ever worked with. Really great human being too. Quality Dude.

If Andy is on that case the Dude does not stand a chance.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2007, 07:55 AM   #110
real deal

Icon5

Quote:

DOES PUTTING YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER In PLAIN VIEW NOT CONCERN YOU???

Last edited by real deal; 30 August 2007 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: SPELLING
real deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2007, 11:07 PM   #111
dallasdan
"TRF" Member

Although $5000 for a timepiece that will last decades sounds reasonable to many of us, there is the "opportunity cost" of that money. If you are in your mid-30s and take the $5K purchse price and invest it in the market (semi-agressive large cap mutual fund, for example) for 32 years you would have approx. $80,000 at retirement age. This assumes a doubling of investment every 8-9 years which is the rule of thumb used to project market investment returns. Keep in mind that $80K in 32 years will likely be equivalent to about $45K today. Oh yeah, and don't forget to factor in the $500+ service fees every few years.
I guess the point here is that we should all enjoy life for the now but not at the expense of our future. Invest and save first, then reward yourself or loved ones with a Rolex!
Omega Seamaster 120
dallasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2007, 11:21 PM   #112
Arby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbrooklyn View Post
you know , I thought about it before I bought my watch in june and I came to the point where, I make a good living, my family has what they want/need, and I never I mean never treat myself to much of anything, Its all about the wife and kids for me, so my wife says, look, you work hard and dont spend your money on anything for yourself, you deserve it... We walked out of the AD with it on my wrist so bottom line, its my only real indulgence, so I enjoy it regarless of the cost.
Nice post! That's very nice of your wife to say you deserve it.
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2007, 11:32 PM   #113
S2000 Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by real deal View Post
DOES PUTTING YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER In PLAIN VIEW NOT CONCERN YOU???
NOT MY CREDIT CARD!!!
Old 31 August 2007, 06:35 AM   #114
seanbrooklyn

Watch: explorer 114270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby View Post
Nice post! That's very nice of your wife to say you deserve it.
seanbrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2007, 06:44 AM   #115
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
All the time, but better spending it on watches than hookers and drugs :)
Now that's a close call
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2007, 11:38 PM   #116
Henri Laurie

Watch: SS GMT 116710LN
Yes they cost a lot, but that's just how it is... if you want one, you must pay up... like anything that is truly amazing.

You spend you money wisely... a Rolex is something that will forever be by your side
Henri Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2007, 11:45 PM   #117
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Crazy as a loon. Lovin' every minute of it!!!