The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2016, 07:00 AM   #91
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
trust me , ive seen me look for a crowbar dropped off a pier in four meters of water ,,, its not always that simple ,,, weight , dive reel , tank and circles , use a dive weight at say 12 swim a full circle till you find the weight , move it out say eighteen inches , and go round again , if you dont have a detector use fingertips and ruffle the sea bed ,,, you dont need vis , just round till you find the 12 marker , move out same 18 inches , and repeat , ive found things as small as rings this way ,,, takes time and patience and a system , your area is small , its just a couple of tanks of air , and time ,,, once started , dont stop , a couple of hours will do an area four times the size you think you need very thoroughly , if your stuck , bribe a diver ,, not a recreational guy , either a commercial guy or an old hand instructor ,,,, if i was local id call past and lend a hand.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 07:06 AM   #92
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
trust me , ive seen me look for a crowbar dropped off a pier in four meters of water ,,, its not always that simple ,,, weight , dive reel , tank and circles , use a dive weight at say 12 swim a full circle till you find the weight , move it out say eighteen inches , and go round again , if you dont have a detector use fingertips and ruffle the sea bed ,,, you dont need vis , just round till you find the 12 marker , move out same 18 inches , and repeat , ive found things as small as rings this way ,,, takes time and patience and a system , your area is small , its just a couple of tanks of air , and time ,,, once started , dont stop , a couple of hours will do an area four times the size you think you need very thoroughly , if your stuck , bribe a diver ,, not a recreational guy , either a commercial guy or an old hand instructor ,,,, if i was local id call past and lend a hand.
Take a vacation Tom and help the kid out.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 07:09 AM   #93
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

infact , with patience , and no diver , if you started the search with one foot and cropped the circle to only growing by one foot each time , still using the string , and sweeping the sand with your toes , ensuring a good overlap on each circle , using a weight and a bit f string to a cork or coke bottle , to ensurre you dont loose position if you did have to pop under if you find something , you could still do a great job ,,, may take all day , but so what ,,, just a though ,,
Old 13 July 2016, 07:10 AM   #94
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Take a vacation Tom and help the kid out.
im due break ,,, lol ,,, its so infuriating not being on hand to help out ,,
Old 13 July 2016, 07:18 AM   #95
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

the important bit is to use something like a 56 lb weight or two in a perfect world ,, in the center of the search so you can keep the string doing the radius taught ,,, and not move the index point. a dive reel would be perfect , thin and strong line.
Old 13 July 2016, 07:24 AM   #96
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
im due break ,,, lol ,,, its so infuriating not being on hand to help out ,,
There you go.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 07:30 AM   #97
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Sorry to read this as well, Matt. Do hope you are able to find you watch.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 07:53 AM   #98
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex fell into the ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio Mosiello View Post
Anyone have some suggestions in terms of how I can gauge where the watch may have travelled? I was thinking of taking a rock the weighs 160grams, tying a balloon to it and seeing where it moves??

Sent from my 86" White Testarossa

Did you miss my lengthy suggestion earlier?
Post #61 - but if that's a bad idea then no problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 07:56 AM   #99
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

I read it but was thinking of using something besides a fishing rod so I dont get i trouble sice lifeguards may think im actually fishing.

Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 07:58 AM   #100
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Oh I misread it sorry! I saw fishing pole and fishing line for some reason! That's a great idea. Im buying some stuff now to do it.

Old 13 July 2016, 07:59 AM   #101
77T

There was no fishing rod involved. Fishing line simply tied to another watch. And the opposite end tied to a bobber so you could visually see the end you'll eventually pull up that test watch.

Old 13 July 2016, 08:09 AM   #102
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
infact , with patience , and no diver , if you started the search with one foot and cropped the circle to only growing by one foot each time , still using the string , and sweeping the sand with your toes , ensuring a good overlap on each circle , using a weight and a bit f string to a cork or coke bottle , to ensurre you dont loose position if you did have to pop under if you find something , you could still do a great job ,,, may take all day , but so what ,,, just a though ,,

Okay im trying to figure out what you are saying. Tie a f string to a weight and a coke bottle floating on the surfaceand just keep circling around it? I use another string to gauge the distance from the bottle? I have a 10lb dumbbell that i can bring tmrw morning. I am going to the beach again tmrw morning with a guy with a metal detector. I am also going to try 77T's suggestion as well so i can see where the tide could be moving the watch.

Old 13 July 2016, 08:46 AM   #103
77T

I know this is a crude drawing done on my iPad, but here's my idea in a nutshell. Stand at point X and drop the watch with light fishing line tied to it. The other end could be a small balloon or cork float. This would be so light as to have no affect on the watch's free movement on the bottom. Something like 10 pound test monofilament or braid.

Then after 30 minutes of staying put, you'll see how far and what general direction the watch moved from wave action (point Y). Yes, you are the robot in the drawing

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1468363567.304914.jpg

Old 13 July 2016, 08:50 AM   #104
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know this is a crude drawing done on my iPad, but here's my idea in a nutshell. Stand at point X and drop the watch with light fishing line tied to it. The other end could be a small balloon or cork float. This would be so light as to have no affect on the watch's free movement on the bottom. Something like 10 pound test monofilament or braid.

Then after 30 minutes of staying put, you'll see how far and what general direction the watch moved from wave action (point Y). Yes, you are the robot in the drawing

Attachment 760337

You are the best. Doing this tomorrow bright and early. Damn I miss my exp. It was perfect Miami Vice colors too. White blue and orange..:(

Old 13 July 2016, 02:27 PM   #105
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Just bought some fishing line. I have 25 feet of fishing line. So far I just made this.

First I am going to put a weight on the other end of that line and see how for the current moves the bottle over the course of an hour. I am not sure exactly how much weight I should put on there.. Should it be around the same weight as the Exp2?

Also, Doesn't the current or tide change? Lets say it moves over the course of an hour to whatever direction, isn't it likely that the current could have been different that day and moved it a totally different direction?

Anyway, I plan to also use that as a search perimeter. Im going to drag my feet in circles and try to feel it, it I don't touch it I will then move the weight over the length of my foot and search that circle and keep repeating the process.

How does that sound??

Old 13 July 2016, 02:35 PM   #106
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
All I can say is good luck

Once lost a Randolph Aviator pretty close to your Rolex
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 02:37 PM   #107
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
All I can say is good luck

Once lost a Randolph Aviator pretty close to your Rolex

Im sorry to hear that and yes I will definitely need the luck.

I will post pics tmrw of the process. At least i will get to see a pretty sunrise. Shit, I just realized if my foot gets pinched by a crab I am going to get SO PISSED OFF I will grab it and cook it out of principle.

Old 13 July 2016, 02:48 PM   #108
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

Attachment 760337
This needs to synch with sea state since the watch was lost. Tide, wind direction and speed since the watch was lost will determine distance and direction of drift. A single data point measurement now doesn't indicate much.

Tom's suggestion is the best. Set an anchor point in the center of the search area, tie a line to it, and swim search circles around it. Expand each circle by an 18 inch radius. A very large area can be completely searched in this water depth on a single tank of air.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 02:51 PM   #109
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
This needs to synch with sea state since the watch was lost. Tide, wind direction and speed since the watch was lost will determine distance and direction of drift. A single data point measurement now doesn't indicate much.

Tom's suggestion is the best. Set an anchor point in the center of the search area, tie a line to it, and swim search circles around it. Expand each circle by an 18 inch radius. A very large area can be completely searched in this water depth on a single tank of air.

I can do that but wouldn't a metal detector make more sense? If the watch is covered in sand which is most likely is, the i can swim right over it and not even see it. I actually did that when I think about it. I begged some guy to let me use his goggles like ten seconds after the watch fell off and I couldn't see anything.

Old 13 July 2016, 02:52 PM   #110
77T

Quote:

Check post #61
Yes tide level matters as well as generally same conditions.

Old 13 July 2016, 02:55 PM   #111
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Check post #61

Okay. So I wil do the test at roughly the same time I lost the watch. I just need to find something now of about equal weight to attach to the line.

Old 13 July 2016, 03:00 PM   #112
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Im sorry to hear that and yes I will definitely need the luck.

I will post pics tmrw of the process. At least i will get to see a pretty sunrise. Shit, I just realized if my foot gets pinched by a crab I am going to get SO PISSED OFF I will grab it and cook it out of principle.

The Setai seems to get a dangerous place for us

Or the beach at least

Get some rest and go for it !

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 03:08 PM   #113
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
I can do that but wouldn't a metal detector make more sense? If the watch is covered in sand which is most likely is, the i can swim right over it and not even see it. I actually did that when I think about it. I begged some guy to let me use his goggles like ten seconds after the watch fell off and I couldn't see anything.

Yes. Use this method with a metal detector. This method systematically covers the seabed. If you don't find the watch doing this, the watch is not in your search area.

Quote:
Check post #61

The time for this method has expired. The information obtained now is just as likely to be misleading as it is to be helpful.

Quote:
Okay. So I wil do the test at roughly the same time I lost the watch. I just need to find something now of about equal weight to attach to the line.

The time is irrelevant. The tides change daily. If you are trying to match sea state, you need to be at the same tide state, not the same time. And the wind and other variables need to be the same.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 03:10 PM   #114
77T

Quote:
Just bought some fishing line. I have 25 feet of fishing line. So far I just made this.

First I am going to put a weight on the other end of that line and see how for the current moves the bottle over the course of an hour. I am not sure exactly how much weight I should put on there.. Should it be around the same weight as the Exp2?

Also, Doesn't the current or tide change? Lets say it moves over the course of an hour to whatever direction, isn't it likely that the current could have been different that day and moved it a totally different direction?

Anyway, I plan to also use that as a search perimeter. Im going to drag my feet in circles and try to feel it, it I don't touch it I will then move the weight over the length of my foot and search that circle and keep repeating the process.

How does that sound??

As long as wind is zero, OK. Otherwise the size of your float on surface can be influenced more by wind than current.

You need to be doing this at the same tidal phase tomorrow as when the watch was lost - not same time of day. You'll need to study the tide chart for Government Cut (that's closest to the 23rd St beach). Find the tide level for the day/time you lost the watch. Then look on the chart for Wednesday to see what time of day that same tidal phase occurs.

For example, compare 7/11
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/no...melength=daily

To 7/13

Plot and plan because incoming tide vs outgoing tide does impact current flow.

As long as weather is about the same tomorrow as on day of loss then current strength will be approximately the same.

Also note the strength is increasing as you get closer to full moon in that 7/13 chart, (7/19 is full moon)

That trend will continue and you will get stronger flow and higher tides each day until full moon.

Much luck!

Old 13 July 2016, 03:23 PM   #115
77T

Quote:

The time for this method has expired. The information obtained now is just as likely to be misleading as it is to be helpful.

I generally agree but 2 days means a wider search area than if done 1 day after. If the data showed 3 feet of movement per hour, you end up with a 48 square meter area in 2 days. And another 24 sq.m. each additional day. It's still "do-able" without diving gear. But the deeper end of the search area can only be scanned at ebb tide.

After tomorrow it does get to be more than a person can cover during a single low tide search period and it's diving after that for sure.

Old 13 July 2016, 03:24 PM   #116
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As long as wind is zero, OK. Otherwise the size of your float on surface can be influenced more by wind than current.

You need to be doing this at the same tidal phase tomorrow as when the watch was lost - not same time of day. You'll need to study the tide chart for Government Cut (that's closest to the 23rd St beach). Find the tide level for the day/time you lost the watch. Then look on the chart for Wednesday to see what time of day that same tidal phase occurs.

For example, compare 7/11

To 7/13

Plot and plan because incoming tide vs outgoing tide does impact current flow.

As long as weather is about the same tomorrow as on day of loss then current strength will be approximately the same.

Also note the strength is increasing as you get closer to full moon in that 7/13 chart, (7/19 is full moon)

That trend will continue and you will get stronger flow and higher tides each day until full moon.

Much luck!

Thank you so much for this. I am going to utilize every method that I can to find this. The watch means so damn much to me I worked my ass of for it. Im going to be at the beach the crack of dawn with a bunch of cigars and hopefully find more people with metal detectors as well. It has really been bringing me down having lost this. I am so mad at myself and feel so stupid. This really sucks

Old 13 July 2016, 03:29 PM   #117
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Hopefully tmrw in the morning when I do the test at low tide ( even though the watch fell off during high tide ) the current is not strong enough to move the weight. That would be really good.

If I have to hire someone to start diving to find the watch I think I am pretty screwed at that point.

Old 13 July 2016, 03:34 PM   #118
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
What we need are 20 TRF Members who live in Florida to present at the beach tomorrow at low tide, with snorkles and plastic spades. Form a line shoulder to shoulder on the beach and work their way out into the water digging as they go.
Do we have 20 Members in Florida? I'd be in it but the airfare would buy you a new watch.
What about a local club, school, or similar who would conduct a coordinated search for a donation to their cause?
Good Luck Matthew.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 04:31 PM   #119
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
What we need are 20 TRF Members who live in Florida to present at the beach tomorrow at low tide, with snorkles and plastic spades. Form a line shoulder to shoulder on the beach and work their way out into the water digging as they go.
Do we have 20 Members in Florida? I'd be in it but the airfare would buy you a new watch.
What about a local club, school, or similar who would conduct a coordinated search for a donation to their cause?
Good Luck Matthew.

Haha that is such a great idea! Seriously though, thank you so much for the offer it means the world!

I just remembered that it is going to be difficult to do this search. I have a pretty bad bathing suit rash on my inner thighs from walking like 10 miles on Sunday. Guess I'll just have to suck it up.

Old 13 July 2016, 07:44 PM   #120
GeraldJ19
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko Black Monste

How does this happen? Was your watch extremely loose on your wrist? Super sorry for your loss! Hopefully you recorded the serial number, just in case it turn up at a police station courtesy of a good samaritan.

GeraldJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote