The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10 September 2018, 11:22 AM   #91
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
Incorrect, the directors did not come out to calm her down. She requested to speak directly to the referee. That is why they were out there. Unfortunately, the referee didn’t have the courage to overrule the chair umpire and let the match play out and let the players decide the outcome. Also, I’m unsure if the rules still allow a referee over-ride.
Lastly, my mistake has been commenting on a topic like this on a watch forum with guys who probably havent competed athletically out of high school. Will stick to GMT and Daytona questions. Btw, is it ok to wear my Daytona while rooting for my favorite player?
To be very clear - I'm part of the crowd finding these topics/questions amusing.
Once again - don't assume

This guy knows best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg4trPZFUwc
Old 10 September 2018, 11:26 AM   #92
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
...but you are right, I am better and more qualified to discuss matters involving tennis competition here.
Lol I don't think that's what he was getting at.

And no, please don't wear your Daytona so I don't get jealous in case I see it in the stands.
Old 10 September 2018, 11:56 AM   #93
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Sure she acted like a whiny chick. Most likely cause she’s a whiny chick. That being said, she’s the greatest female tennis player of all time and a top 10 athlete of all time, either sexes.
Old 10 September 2018, 12:25 PM   #94
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
These threads generally don’t turn out very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 September 2018, 02:00 PM   #95
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
So is it ok to wear my watch while rooting? And you are my buddy too, but you are right, I am better and more qualified to discuss matters involving tennis competition here. I’m incredibly competitive and have bad memories of being ripped off by officiating in the past so I’m VERY passionate about this! I will DEFINITELY stick to watch comments or nothing at all. Signing off.....

Serena.

Old 10 September 2018, 02:11 PM   #96
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
To say all players receive coaching is not a valid excuse. If it is prohibited and coaching is detected, a warning or punishment should be issued.

Next time you get a speeding ticket, tell the policeman everyone else is speeding and let me know how that works out for you.
I did everything you said, and the police officer told me to pass the ticket onto you for payment...thanks bro

I do however, think you make a very valid point.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 10 September 2018, 03:14 PM   #97
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
As a female tennis player only. Play 3 out of 5 sets if you want equality and same dollar winnings as men. Swimming and track don’t have shorter distances for female athletes.

Serena was not the better player that day if she received coaching to get ahead in the second set.
Okay haha I agree not sure why they do 3 sets. We all know there is no reason a woman cannot play 5 sets. I’m far from qualified to say if she’s the goat anyways. She’s just been so dominant in my lifetime.

Again, her reaction was very poor but in my mind a good ref is not the topic of conversation after the result is met. Particularly in a finals match. I watch to see world class athletes compete at the highest level, not to see some guy on the beach chair put his spin on it.
Old 10 September 2018, 08:28 PM   #98
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's never a valid argument to say it's OK to violate or break a law because every one is doing it, and maybe this umpire was specifically selected because he would enforce the law and change the conversation as the tennis association want this rule enforced more rigidly, and using a Grand Slam final and with Serena, who has tantrum and disrespectful form, was a good way to kickstart this new hardline policy.

We saw Neymar try to referee and boss a game in the WC and the ref stood up to him. Hope this is a new era where superstar's and their giant egos get cut down to size.
Old 10 September 2018, 08:55 PM   #99
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Serena got fined $17,000 (no Daytona for you?) for her behavior. Nothing happened to the chair umpire. So we know what the powers that be think of this incident.
Old 10 September 2018, 09:07 PM   #100
exador
Banned

What’s saddest about this whole episode is that Naomi Osaka, the first Major winner to have come out of Japan, has been completely forgotten...
Old 10 September 2018, 09:43 PM   #101
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
As a female tennis player only. Play 3 out of 5 sets if you want equality and same dollar winnings as men. Swimming and track don’t have shorter distances for female athletes.

Serena was not the better player that day if she received coaching to get ahead in the second set.
The payout is equal for men and women at the US Open and Wimbledon. It may be the same at the other majors but im not sure. It could be argued the men, since they play best of 5, are being compensated unequally.
Old 10 September 2018, 09:53 PM   #102
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Like most, I did not watch the match but saw the highlights (or lowlights). The unfortunate part to this is it all became about Serena, and the champion forgotten. She should have kept her mouth shut and bowed out gracefully. She certainly did not handle this properly nor like a champion.

As far as others do it too, this is a weak excuse. I too will be sure to try that next time I get a speeding or parking ticket.
Old 10 September 2018, 10:15 PM   #103
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Bro. Condescending and pretentious talk.

You know we are Boyz, but you are completely discounting other opinions because you are think you are better and more qualified? Cmon bro.
Pretty much.
Old 10 September 2018, 10:18 PM   #104
77T

Quote:
So is it ok to wear my watch while rooting? And you are my buddy too, but you are right, I am better and more qualified to discuss matters involving tennis competition here. I’m incredibly competitive and have bad memories of being ripped off by officiating in the past so I’m VERY passionate about this! I will DEFINITELY stick to watch comments or nothing at all. Signing off.....

Hey Rick - nothing to get steamed about. I’ve played tennis at a competitive level too. We all remember the bad beats.

In your comments you showed the passion I’m sure Serena felt in the heat of a match.

What really is unfair is the game penalty when the Chair has other remedies at hand.

Each infraction was a violation of the regulations as written. The Chair had been strict in the past. Maybe the question is the penalty basis - and perhaps the point of potential bias.

The USTA rules don’t demand a game penalty. And per the rules, the verbal abuse is a “generally” applied penalty vs. a “mandatory” penalty.

Poor Judgement was the penalty assessed imho. Go to the rules to understand this better: https://www.usta.com/content/dam/ust...ions-2018.pdf#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 10 September 2018, 10:32 PM   #105
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Maybe I am the only one that feels this way... but I thought the ump was bias against her, looking for opportunities to throw her off her game.
Spot on, Paul. Serena showed bad form, no question. However, if it was a man very doubtful the results would be the same.

And for the supposed cheating from the coach, what the hell could the coach have signaled that would be considered cheating? Advice on tactics or approach is hardly cheating.

I wish all top level competitors behaved with class and grace. Easy for me to say having never walked in their shoes.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 10 September 2018, 11:33 PM   #106
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Help me out here guys. Weren't both the competitors women? How does some sort of gender bias favor one woman over another in the same match?

I hate when an official influences the outcome of a competition, but in most of the sports I watch, the player gets ejected for badgering the officials. She got the equivalent a PI call in the endzone.
Old 10 September 2018, 11:38 PM   #107
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Help me out here guys. Weren't both the competitors women? How does some sort of gender bias favor one woman over another in the same match?

I hate when an official influences the outcome of a competition, but in most of the sports I watch, the player gets ejected for badgering the officials. She got the equivalent a PI call in the endzone.

These two competitors may very well have been women but how does this same UMP or other UMPs handle these same calls against men?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 10 September 2018, 11:46 PM   #108
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
These two competitors may very well have been women but how does this same UMP or other UMPs handle these same calls against men?
Most guys do the same thing she did and they are ignored as she was. The ump put up with a lot of crap from her before he made the call. She went way over the line and was ignored just as the men were, up to a point. You can only insult and threaten a person so much before crossing the line. IMHO she crossed it and the only thing that matters is how the ump felt at the time he made the call. Too much PC nonsense about gender when we are talking about two women playing.
Old 10 September 2018, 11:54 PM   #109
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
Most guys do the same thing she did and they are ignored as she was. The ump put up with a lot of crap from her before he made the call. She went way over the line and was ignored just as the men were, up to a point. You can only insult and threaten a person so much before crossing the line. IMHO she crossed it and the only thing that matters is how the ump felt at the time he made the call. Too much PC nonsense about gender when we are talking about two women playing.

I've seen much worse behavior by men and no action was ever taken.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 September 2018, 12:02 AM   #110
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

We continue to miss the fact that this umpire has a documented history of being a hard ass to men and women alike. Nadal in 2017 at the French Open felt he was targeted by him. This is not a gender issue, at all, and it disgusts me that it is being turned into one despite the history of this guy. We can say the timing of his penalty against Serena was unprecedented but she was acting like a lunatic for a good 15 minutes, he gave her ample opportunity to calm down and she continued with her hysterics.
Old 11 September 2018, 12:24 AM   #111
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
I've seen much worse behavior by men and no action was ever taken.
This is undeniable.
Old 11 September 2018, 12:28 AM   #112
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

She wasn't suggesting that the umpire was being fair to Osaka and not fair to her, but rather that penalty wouldn't be assessed in a men's match.

And yes, tennis players get way more latitude than other athletes, in my opinion.
Old 11 September 2018, 12:34 AM   #113
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
She should have bit her lip. I personally am not a fan of bringing personal agendas whether it be political or social causes into my entertainment. I go to entertainment to be entertained and get away from all that jazz.
Old 11 September 2018, 12:43 AM   #114
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
She should have bit her lip. I personally am not a fan of bringing personal agendas whether it be political or social causes into my entertainment. I go to entertainment to be entertained and get away from all that jazz.
So what's that leave you with? No really what does that really leave you with?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 September 2018, 12:44 AM   #115
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
I agree with you. Not a single warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Maybe I am the only one that feels this way... but I thought the ump was bias against her, looking for opportunities to throw her off her game.
Old 11 September 2018, 12:44 AM   #116
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I think Serena was doing it on purpose to change the “mo”

Her opponent was in her first GS final. She was nervous, young and emotional. Serena was struggling. She wanted to distract her opponent and she did not think that the chair umpire would dare to penalize her. Wrong!

Sexism? Her opponent was a woman. Racism? Her opponent’s father is from Haiti. The men acted worse? I did not see any men act like that in this tournament and I watched all the night matches.

I remember McEnroe and Connors go nuts on officials. I thought it marred the sport. I believe Mac was ejected from an Australian Open.

Serena has some misguided ideas in which she likes to portray herself as a victim. Osaka was her victim.
Old 11 September 2018, 12:46 AM   #117
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Didn't Serena once threaten to shove a ball down an officials throat? I mean come on people..... this isn't her first incident either.
Old 11 September 2018, 12:47 AM   #118
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Her opponent was in her first GS final. She was nervous, young and emotional. Serena was struggling. She wanted to distract her opponent and she did not think that the chair umpire would dare to penalize her. Wrong!

Sexism? Her opponent was a woman. Racism? Her opponent’s father is from Haiti. The men acted worse? I did not see any men act like that in this tournament and I watched all the night matches.

I remember McEnroe and Connors go nuts on officials. I thought it marred the sport. I believe Mac was ejected from an Australian Open.

Serena has some misguided ideas in which she likes to portray herself as a victim. Osaka was her victim.

Wow, after all that BAD behavior the best you can do is cite one yes just one example where he was ejected. I don't think you made a real good case.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 September 2018, 01:12 AM   #119
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow, after all that BAD behavior the best you can do is cite one yes just one example where he was ejected. I don't think you made a real good case.
McEnroe retired in 1994...... things have certainly changed since then. I cannot recall one man in recent history to come anywhere close to the level of anger and aggression as Serena to make a fair comparison of the consequences being levied.
Old 11 September 2018, 01:24 AM   #120
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
McEnroe retired in 1994...... things have certainly changed since then. I cannot recall one man in recent history to come anywhere close to the level of anger and aggression as Serena to make a fair comparison of the consequences being levied.

Now that's a better argument.

Too be honest I stopped watching sports long ago because of this kind of thing and for other reasons long ago. Not sure how exactly how bad behavior in Tennis is treated now but I used to see a lot of it in the day. I've seen a good bit in all sports but always remember Tennis being the worse.

So to be honest I really care less, other than I wish others would as well. Especially when seeing all these cases where the worst of human behavior has been either tolerated, encouraged, or hidden in the name of promoting sports or protecting the program to make as money as possible.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Closed Thread