The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 June 2019, 01:42 AM   #91
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Bit of a 'look at me look at me' thread I think

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 01:43 AM   #92
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you wear the Sub this is a good deal and story, if not then this is a sad reflection of the current climate.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 01:59 AM   #93
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
Most of the psychological studies on self gratification - from kids to educated professionals show that respondents express ethical concerns at somebody who has received a windfall and state that they would not duplicate the behaviour. When given the opportunity, they rationalise away their morals and make the grab like most others.

As the saying goes “Always back a horse called self interest”.
Exactly!
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 02:03 AM   #94
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
Most of the psychological studies on self gratification - from kids to educated professionals show that respondents express ethical concerns at somebody who has received a windfall and state that they would not duplicate the behaviour. When given the opportunity, they rationalise away their morals and make the grab like most others.

As the saying goes “Always back a horse called self interest”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I don't think the OP did anything wrong nor is he personally causing or perpetuating the shortage. The shortage is caused by more people wanting the same thing. It's called supply and demand.

I think the real problem is the inflation of the prices of these things on the secondary market, which the OP took advantage of. And he didn't do bad - why shouldn't he take the free bag of money?

The problem, IMHO, is the people who buy these watches at over MSRP. If no one did this, then the secondary market would dry up, and there would be no flippers. It's that simple. If you can't buy it at the AD, then don't buy it. Or if you can't find a used one for less than the price of a new one, then don't buy it. The prices will come back down.

But people can't do that, not in today's world of instant gratification. And it's not just Rolex, it's Ferrari and limited models of mainstream cars like Porsche, BMW, etc.

The only possible mistake the OP made was sharing this story.
+1

My point too! As long as there are buyers for these models at such ridiculous premium (I would even sell my MIL! ), the greys, flippers, ADs will make hay even on rainy days!
Old 8 June 2019, 02:06 AM   #95
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theomegaaddict View Post
I didnt want it. Never have never did. But i got offered a free bag of money. Wasnt gonna say no to that

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Would do the same, but sorry, not for a Hublot though!
Old 8 June 2019, 02:07 AM   #96
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
Nothing wrong with that! It looks great!
Seeing many Hublots lately, I do not know much about them but could be the brand is on the rise. I remember maybe 7-8 years ago the Hublots were really popular with their big bang models.
Personally, the brand (on social media at least) has peaked. Which, for me is great. I wan't it to become low key again.

I got mine in 2011, the skeleton just did it for me. It was either this or a RO Chrono 41mm. In hindsight the RO would have been a better investment but it just didn't work for me....
Old 8 June 2019, 02:16 AM   #97
Amg7861
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Rhodium Dial 37
It’s a free market. OP can do what he likes. Rolex perpetuates the whole situation. It could quite easily ramp up production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amg7861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 02:16 AM   #98
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Honestly, this sort of transaction/behavior (since you asked for feedback) is just not worth it to me.

For one, you got a Hublot (albeit at a discount) that is already a dog. I get it wasn't your choice, nor would I begrudge anyone for getting what they want. What I am implying is that while it is a deal in terms of MSRP, it really isn't a "deal." There are many brands wherein you can get substantial discounts.

You asked to see what they had in the safe. I think it is already sort of lame that ADs are socking away un-allocated stainless steel pieces. The Submariner Date should have been on display. It's a chain AD, this behavior doesn't surprise me, but I wonder if there was a list for this reference. Was there a name an AD took down from a customer in good faith and now he moved the Submariner Date which you resold?

Reselling the watch is your right. You bought it. The 116610LN isn't exactly a hot watch. Harder to get these days, maybe. They can still be ordered and purchased at MSRP without too long of a wait. It's not an LV, BLRO, BLNR, etc. For me personally, it's not worth the effort.

At the end of the day, you got your brother a watch he wanted and you made a few bucks. That's awesome. You also could have further strengthened your relationship with your AD at home if you purchased the Hublot from them and you contributed to the problem people have with ADs right now. I know, I know; "don't hate the player, hate the game." I just think you could have got the Hublot at a good price regardless, and isn't that hard to get a 116610LN at MSRP with just a little patience.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 02:40 AM   #99
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Of course. Paid 16 instead of 20.

Does that mean you are going to keep the 6k AED (~$1500) when you get it back?

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 02:42 AM   #100
tictic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What's wrong about saving money?
Nothing.
Sharing with your Mom is my point.
Seems you kept ALL the profit for yourself!
tictic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 02:42 AM   #101
YYR
"TRF" Member

You know what drives me crazy? When I go to the grocer and pay 3.99 a pound for tomatoes, then I find out that at the farmers market the grocer pays 1.29 a pound
You know what else drives me crazy? When the real estate agent charges 3 percent when he sells me a house, if that’s not greedy then what is?
How about the plumber? 150 for a 10 minute visit to unclog my toilet, unbelievable!

Instead of whining one day I went down to the market and bought a case of tomatoes at 1.29 a pound, I used a 1/10th of the case and I tried to sell of the rest, one neighbor took a pound , the rest went to waste.

My point is everyone is in business to make money, you can either hop from business to business and say everyone making money off you doing such simple
Things and it’s not fair and try to do everything yourself, or one day you will wake up and realize that yes people are making money off you and if you just let the garbage collector collect the garbage and the plumber fix the drain, you will be a happier person and you’ll have more time to focus on what your good at and make what your good at more profitable.

The grey market guys are in business like any of us, they figured out a way to make it work and make it profitable, any one of us is welcome to figure out what their doing, invest 100’s of thousands and try to make it work, I think we will all quickly realize that we rather just pay the extra $1000 for the sub and enjoy life
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 02:44 AM   #102
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg7861 View Post
It’s a free market. OP can do what he likes. Rolex perpetuates the whole situation. It could quite easily ramp up production.

Or just start selling online and have genuine wait list for high demand models
Old 8 June 2019, 02:56 AM   #103
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Rolex Commodity Trading. It's easier and more profitable then buying Gold, Silver or Platinum. Just beg, or ask, an AD to sell you one of the hard to get models and flip it here for a monster profit.

The new state of Rolex Sport Models - $$$
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 03:04 AM   #104
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Does that mean you are going to keep the 6k AED (~$1500) when you get it back?

If and when I get it back is my business

theomegaaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 03:04 AM   #105
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictic View Post
Nothing.

Sharing with your Mom is my point.

Seems you kept ALL the profit for yourself!
16 instead of 20 is already a better deal so i dont get what youre saying?

theomegaaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 03:14 AM   #106
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Good moves. I wouldn’t do that to my local AD or an AD that I want to buy from in the future, but to a London AD, why not.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 03:22 AM   #107
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I don’t see a problem with it.
It’s yours to keep and do what you want with it- flip it, dive with it, keep it in the safe.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 04:48 AM   #108
nick800
"TRF" Member

I think this is stupid.

And I've passed on watches from AD that I could have made money on.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 09:22 AM   #109
ChipotleBanana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Patek
It's nice he offered you the watch, but sad you sold it. Buy the watch because you enjoy it, not for the financial gain. All you did was make it harder for someone else to buy the watch that they want. If the other dealer who you have a good relationship with offered you the watch at such a good price, why go out from under them? You're exactly the type of person that is making it so hard for us to get these watches. Most AD's here in the US try avoid selling to people who are going to immediately sell their newly purchased piece.
ChipotleBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 09:28 AM   #110
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Welcome to 2019 where buying a hublot and a sub is a good deal!

OP: I am not hating just hilarious where we have ended up. Good on you for saving your mom some coin. A real shame your brother kept the hublot and not the sub. He will regret that in 10 years.
Old 8 June 2019, 09:31 AM   #111
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If you get worked up over people buying for a dollar and selling for two I hope you don't engage in any capitalistic endeavors to pay your bills or you are a hypocrite or worse.
Old 8 June 2019, 09:36 AM   #112
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
All I could say, The brother knew what he wants and didn’t factor price and depreciation. He will enjoy his watch.
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 11:18 AM   #113
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipotleBanana View Post
Buy the watch because you enjoy it, not for the financial gain.

Why?

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 11:26 AM   #114
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
The story isn’t really that interesting. This is a watch forum and your post is about making a few $$.
The post is no more interesting than saying “I bought a stock this morning, it went up and the I sold it!” Yay
Old 8 June 2019, 11:33 AM   #115
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
LOL

Ahh Rolex. 90% of buyers these days are all speculative flippers.
I was thinking the same thing. I get that the OP did it for financial gains, but isn't that behaviour EXACTLY why the market is as it is?
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 11:42 AM   #116
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Ok, the OP sold a Subdate for a profit.
Strange that so many are unhappy about his actions when there are sellers with hundreds of similar transactions on TRF every week.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 11:59 AM   #117
Undefeatable
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Ok, the OP sold a Subdate for a profit.
Strange that so many are unhappy about his actions when there are sellers with hundreds of similar transactions on TRF every week.
Seriously!

OP - "I got a sub on a bundle and sold it"
Everyone - "F**k this guy!!"

vs.

TRF seller - "I have all the SS sport models, above MSRP, brand new"
Everyone - "We love our Trusted Sellers!"

Nothing against the Trusted Sellers on here, I have done business with a few, but does everyone have Stockholm syndrome with the Trusted Sellers or something?
Undefeatable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 12:02 PM   #118
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
To be fair, I am quite sure we are referring to two separate groups of people, so there really isn’t any contradiction in their positions.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 12:07 PM   #119
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
I get that, my point was merely that people who wish to buy a brand new SS sub at an AD are free to purchase a Hublot/useless jewellery in order to get that.

It’s not anyone else’s fault if they are unwilling or unable to do that. We live in a capitalist society, Rolex is a luxury good, the method of assignment is therefore by default one’s ability and willingness to spend more money than the next person.

Being willing and able to pay more (either through greys, bundling or buying watches/jewellery to build relationships) is in fact the correct way to determine who gets to buy these models.

Complaining about it is quite frankly self entitlement of an unjustified kind. It’s like wanting to take all that’s good that capitalism offers and whining when it goes against them.

Well said
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 12:13 PM   #120
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

A few years down the road, I wonder what that Hubot will be worth? I'm sure the return on the Sub would have proven better. What would most people rather have? A legacy watch or a jewelry inspired timepiece.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote