The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 December 2019, 01:09 AM   #91
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
I, too, was tired of waiting so I paid the premium from a well know gray. Then the following week my AD called and said he had my Pepsi! I was fortunate as my gray took back the watch allowing me to get my Pepsi for MSRP. Moral, wait if you can.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 02:36 AM   #92
vitadine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
MSRP is only an artificial construction. The price is what it is worth it to you. If you can afford it and really want it, buy it. Do not let the naysayers guilt you out of it. You have worked hard for your money, so get some pleasure out of it. Other people spend, or over-spend, on other things that are important to them. Spend YOUR money on what's important to YOU.

MSRP is no artificial construction.
I‘ve bought all my 8 Rolexes at MSRP with only one JLC Memovox as a purchase history.
I‘ve got BLRO, BLNR, SkyD blue and GMT LN all in 2019.
Just wait and build a good relationship to you AD. You save a big money not buying grey.
vitadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 03:25 AM   #93
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
I constantly see people using the “mass produced” argument for not paying the premium. It’s all supply and demand. Some Rolex pieces are selling at a higher premium to the other higher end brands. More people want Rolex relative to pieces in existence than some other pieces frequently discussed here on the forum.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 03:38 AM   #94
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Any compelling arguments against

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No there are not if you want the watch, which is their best model imho, and you have no chance of buying one new in your name.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 04:00 AM   #95
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitadine View Post
MSRP is no artificial construction.
I‘ve bought all my 8 Rolexes at MSRP with only one JLC Memovox as a purchase history.
I‘ve got BLRO, BLNR, SkyD blue and GMT LN all in 2019.
Just wait and build a good relationship to you AD. You save a big money not buying grey.

Here is a different perspective to consider:

My local AD is a idiot as I know them in the business community. This AD hiries very low informed sales associates for decades now. They never had watches I wanted in the best of times so it wasnt any big loss not fostering a relationship with them, not that I would give them the business anyway. There are a lot of really crappy AD's out there that dont deserve a business relationship. This was before the Rolex market turned hot.

For the above reasons, many of us have better relationships with our trusted forum sellers than any AD. This is because we have purchased from these "truste sellers" below msrp for years. When/if the watch market goes back to normal, our trusted sellers will always be able to get the watch we want long before the AD can even in the best of times. It was always this way before the market went way up the last 2 years.

Our "trusted forum sellers" or "gray dealers" are not a four letter word to be avoided by many of us.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 04:09 AM   #96
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
He is one of the people who generalize their experience to everyone else. It is a fallacy. Just because one person bought a bunch of watches from their AD does not mean everyone else can do the same. In fact, the many complaint threads suggest the opposite.

I would go further and say that if in fact this person did buy all the ROLEXES HE CLAIMS FROM AN AD IN 2019, he basically won the lottery as far as odds go. To suggest other people can do the same borders on delusional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Here is a different perspective.

My local AD is a idiot as I know them in the business community. This AD hiries very low informed sales associates for decades now. They never had watches I wanted in the best of times so it wasnt any big loss not fostering a relationship with them, not that I would give them the business anyway. There are a lot of really crappy AD's out there that dont deserve a business relationship. This was before the Rolex market turned hot.

For the above reasons, many of us have better relationships with our trusted forum sellers than any AD. This is because we have purchased from these "truste sellers" below msrp for years. When/if the watch market goes back to normal, our trusted sellers will always be able to get the watch we want long before the AD can even in the best of times. It was always this way before the market went way up the last 2 years.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 04:27 AM   #97
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Just do it. It appears you have the financial means and waiting 5+ years is too ridiculous. Live once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 04:44 AM   #98
pj1369
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR126720
How much over would you pay potentially to get now? That would be a point of consideration.
pj1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:24 AM   #99
watchaser
2024 Pledge Member

If you can support it, i'd say go for it. I personally don't mind paying a premium to a certain extent to buy and enjoy. Otherwise, i'd waste countless hours searching the forums to see price move +/- 400 bucks. Wait 2-5 years from AD, not for me. If the market holds, great! If not than, that's the expectation that you'll need to set.

Again, this is just my opinion and it's based on if you can support the purchase at a premium.
watchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:27 AM   #100
Trog
Banned

I'm waiting for the Shelby Edition.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:30 AM   #101
pj1369
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR126720
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchaser View Post
If you can support it, i'd say go for it. I personally don't mind paying a premium to a certain extent to buy and enjoy. Otherwise, i'd waste countless hours searching the forums to see price move +/- 400 bucks. Wait 2-5 years from AD, not for me. If the market holds, great! If not than, that's the expectation that you'll need to set.

Again, this is just my opinion and it's based on if you can support the purchase at a premium.
Spot on
pj1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:34 AM   #102
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
MSRP is only an artificial construction. The price is what it is worth it to you. If you can afford it and really want it, buy it. Do not let the naysayers guilt you out of it. You have worked hard for your money, so get some pleasure out of it. Other people spend, or over-spend, on other things that are important to them. Spend YOUR money on what's important to YOU.
enough said.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:07 AM   #103
OutColed
"TRF" Member

To me, a new Rolex BLNR is a want, not a need. I have a hard time paying 3-4K over retail for this and with my luck, the market will return to normalcy as soon as I buy.

I've only been waiting 4 month so far, if this craziness last's a few more years, then maybe I'll reconsider. Until then, I'm trying to have some patience.

Do you know how much Crack I can buy with 3-4K?
OutColed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:18 AM   #104
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutColed View Post
To me, a new Rolex BLNR is a want, not a need. I have a hard time paying 3-4K over retail for this and with my luck, the market will return to normalcy as soon as I buy.

I've only been waiting 4 month so far, if this craziness last's a few more years, then maybe I'll reconsider. Until then, I'm trying to have some patience.

I didn’t consider the crack opportunity cost! Good reminder

IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:18 AM   #105
GJ-PGMTII
"TRF" Member

Going to buy Pepsi at grey talk me out of it

Quote:
... Do you know how much Crack I can buy with 3-4K?

... much like the Big Mac index in other parts of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GJ-PGMTII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:47 AM   #106
Gmt tony
"TRF" Member

BUY NOW going up in just days the gray prices will go up also then when Basel comes with new SS models it will just make them all more popular again so your in a win win situation also it will always be worth around what u give unless the full world goes into a depression that’s never going to happen u will never find a Pepsi anywhere now or in future years for 10k the waiting lists are getting longer the watches are becoming harder to get hold off just imagine if they discontinue it anytime soon buy now u only live once

Gmt tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:56 AM   #107
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think the market is slowing or cooling off on SS watches. There have been a lot of late year incomings for 2019, unlike the prior two years. Patience should reward you well, sooner than you think, if you try to build a relationship with an AD outside the city.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:41 AM   #108
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

You’re asking the wrong crowd if you’re looking to be talked out of buying a Rolex...but ok, I’ll bite: Don’t do it, you could spend whatever over MSRP you’ll pay on coke and strippers. YOLO
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:43 AM   #109
Jm95809
Banned

My ad said there getting some in stock next year but depending if there a wait list you may get one at the new price though
Jm95809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:48 AM   #110
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
I'm not sure what advice to give...this is a personal decision based on desire, financial ability, and market conditions. Beautiful watch though. Full disclosure: I passed on a Root Beer and a Batgirl recently at my AD. Realistic decisions for my life circumstances...need to stay married, get the kids through school, and save and be ready for my Hulk (which will be announcing its presence soon enough!)

Good luck!

Ben
A sensible person on TRF. I'm hoping your green Sub arrives soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:56 AM   #111
wetsum3
"TRF" Member

I also think waiting can be part of the fun, unless of course you’re trying to get a watch for a special occasion. I started contacting my AD early April this year. Then, out of the blue they called me in November. I had plenty of things to keep me busy for 7 months. The call was a nice surprise after a long day of work.
wetsum3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 08:01 AM   #112
drgoro
"TRF" Member

Yea, don’t be a sucker.
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 08:10 AM   #113
mhester
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I paid double retail for my SS Daytona.

It p*ssed me off knowing many people (including people I know) paid half I did because they are VIP’s or have a good relationship but I don’t like being told I can’t have something I want so bought it anyway.

It seemed the only way I could get a watch for retail was to spend £100k’s on jewelry and watches I didn’t want over a number of years to save £10k. I’d rather save money in the long run and have the watch I want now.

However, it does appear that grey prices are coming down and AD supply is on the increase so there is more chance you could snap one up at retail.

With hindsight I probably wouldn’t have bought the Daytona at grey prices. At the time i anticipated a drop in sterling and the stock market which would have meant buying later would have cost me a lot more. It turned out the opposite was true, grey prices have cone down and I’ve missed out not investing the spare cash in the markets. Ah well you win some you lose some.
mhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 08:19 AM   #114
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

I have one, not that great... did that work?

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 08:21 AM   #115
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Of course, depending on the intensity of the habit, the latter would be a need more than a want...

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 08:32 AM   #116
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

No response from OP, I think he has left the room.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 08:39 AM   #117
Topsyworld
Banned

When it comes to Subs of any sort I have only one compelling argument. Tudor, think there Subs are on par and there GMT Pepsi for half the cost. Borrowed my buddies black bay and I’m in shock I don’t see a difference, if anything I would say the Tudor is more asthetic overall. Just my opinion.
Topsyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 08:40 AM   #118
Ivan Drago
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mml4 View Post
If when you look down at that watch knowing MANY others bought it for 1/2 of what you did and you can still enjoy it then go ahead. I could not. I would never enjoy the watch under those circumstances. The rest of my life would be a long time to feel foolish.
Agreed
Ivan Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 09:09 AM   #119
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
No response from OP, I think he has left the room.

I’m here, been replying some. Very solid points, quite on the fence, I think I’ve been nudged into giving the AD angle some more time/effort. It hasn’t been the market price over retail arguments that have got me. I’ve got no issue if it means avoid a long wait. But that wait isn’t a known quantity, which messes up the evaluation. Could be three years to never, could be the next AD I walk into (I’ve gotten lucky before). Less egg nog has inspired me to give the AD angle more effort. Also someone mentioned make sure you are really 100 percent on the watch. If honest here I’d say I’m at 90-5 percent with 5-10 percent pulling me towards another piece. Maybe that means hold off and give the AD angle more effort, too.

I could always change my mind again tomorrow! I make no apologies for having multiple watch personalities.

IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 09:23 AM   #120
Gilv2
"TRF" Member

If you buy grey and have the watch you want on your wrist now, then consider it a YOLO tax and enjoy the heck out of it. If you wait and play the AD lottery, then there’s a price (tax) to pay for that in your time, mental anguish and FOMO. Which do you want to pay? I did the former and am very happy! You only live once!
Gilv2 is offline   Reply With Quote