The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 March 2010, 02:35 AM   #91
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Some of my oldest LPs have the best sound. Ella Fitzgerald's Let No Man Write My Epitaph, recorded almost 50 years ago, has the best sound of any CD, DVD or LP I've ever heard. The engineers back then were supremely talented.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 02:58 AM   #92
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Nice setups folks.

As for LPs, they're a great hobby and definitely better than CD. However, the high resolution codecs are pretty equal if not better to LPs... and lots less expensive.

The master tapes are re-sampled at higher resolution and then re-mastered. With the right signal path, it should be as good or better than the best LP setup.

CD (Redbook)

2 channels of PCM audio, each signed 16-bit values sampled at 44100 Hz

An audio CD can represent frequencies up to 22.05 kHz, the Nyquist frequency of the 44.1 kHz sample rate.
The bit rate is 1411.2 kbit/s:
2 channels x 44,100 samples per second per channel × 16 bits per sample = 1,411,200 bit/s = 1,411.2 kbit/s.

SACD (Direct Stream Transfer)

_____________________________CD____ SACD
Format_______________16 bit PCM____ 1 bit DSD
Sampling frequency_____44.1 kHz____ 2822.4 kHz[1]
Dynamic range_____________96 dB____ 120 dB[1]
Frequency range___20 Hz – 20 kHz____ 20 Hz – 50 kHz[1]
Disc capacity_____________700 MB____ 7.95 GB
Stereo_______________________Yes____ Yes
Discrete surround_____________No____Yes

DVD-Audio (Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP)

Six channels at 96kHz/24 bit,Two channels at 192kHz, 24 bit
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 03:06 AM   #93
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Some of my oldest LPs have the best sound. Ella Fitzgerald's Let No Man Write My Epitaph, recorded almost 50 years ago, has the best sound of any CD, DVD or LP I've ever heard. The engineers back then were supremely talented.
The one thing I found out about recordings, and how they were made back then, was they were engineered to sound really good through what seems to be adequate speakers.
This became apparent when older taped recordings were transferred to CD. Analog recordings suffered due to compression needed to make the recording, in other words, the dynamic range was limited due to tape noise, and the quieter passages had to be brought up in volume, and lack of dynamic headroom for the much louder passages. Of course DBX change that with dynamic range expanding equipment.

CDs, if recorded in true DDD format, not AAD, are sound wise much superior to the tape recordings of today, and yesteryears!

But, the true audiophile will always argue that their LPs have a certain something that the CD sound can replicate (tape noise and scratching). If one could distinguish a difference of a 1/16 octave, they would have a point, but most can't.

There are many shades of black in a photograph, and like speakers, only one or two of those shades will be appealing to an individual.
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 03:06 AM   #94
swissautopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3.3M 1655 Mk I
Wow! I just have a little Bose dock for my iPod. Sounds great, but I feel so inadequate!

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt." Unknown

"Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food." Proverbs 12
swissautopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 05:37 AM   #95
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_rocks View Post

CDs, if recorded in true DDD format, not AAD, are sound wise much superior to the tape recordings of today, and yesteryears!

But, the true audiophile will always argue that their LPs have a certain something that the CD sound can replicate...
Actually, the bit depth on an analog or digital recording is very important. I have a DVD-Audio (48/24 MLP) of REM's "Automatic for the People" that was recorded digitally @ 48/24. The CD of same is 44/16, so even though the production chain was digital, there is a lot of information being left behind in the transfer to CD.

You don't need to have a golden ear to hear the difference that the 16 bit to 24 bit resolution jump represents.

A digital "master" recording doesn't need to be "resampled". It's as much detail as you're going to get - that's all the codec captured.

A master tape on the other hand can be resampled at a higher rate, cleaned up, etc... Just look at the fantastic job that was done on the Beatles albums. The crime there is that they have yet to release the high resolution versions commercially.
Old 16 March 2010, 06:02 AM   #96
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I have several recordings in both the CD and LP format. I've cued them up to the same points, set the gain equally and then performed "A" and "B" testing with many of my kids' friends. Interestingly, the vast majority of listeners pick the analog LP as sounding better than the CD. When asked why, they frequently reply that "there is more music there."

Of course, not every analog LP sounds great, however the great LPs are stunning.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 07:07 AM   #97
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have several recordings in both the CD and LP format. I've cued them up to the same points, set the gain equally and then performed "A" and "B" testing with many of my kids' friends. Interestingly, the vast majority of listeners pick the analog LP as sounding better than the CD. When asked why, they frequently reply that "there is more music there."

Of course, not every analog LP sounds great, however the great LPs are stunning.
You're right. CDs aren't that great. At the time the format was released, the longevity and durability made up for a lot of sins associated with the resolution of the format.

The relative fidelity of CDs and LPs is something that has been decided. LPs won.

However, high(er) resolution digital formats should be as good or better than LPs.
Old 16 March 2010, 07:13 AM   #98
snow_rocks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Actually, the bit depth on an analog or digital recording is very important. I have a DVD-Audio (48/24 MLP) of REM's "Automatic for the People" that was recorded digitally @ 48/24. The CD of same is 44/16, so even though the production chain was digital, there is a lot of information being left behind in the transfer to CD.

You don't need to have a golden ear to hear the difference that the 16 bit to 24 bit resolution jump represents.

A digital "master" recording doesn't need to be "resampled". It's as much detail as you're going to get - that's all the codec captured.

A master tape on the other hand can be resampled at a higher rate, cleaned up, etc... Just look at the fantastic job that was done on the Beatles albums. The crime there is that they have yet to release the high resolution versions commercially.
You should have quoted my part on dynamic range (DR). When you compare DR to bit depth, we have gone into overkill. A bit depth of 16 (back in the '80s) would give us a DR of 96dBs, which is our normal range of hearing. At 32 bits, the DR is over 190 dBs, which is senseless.

Telarc made some fantastic DDD recordings of classical back in the late '80s, and the dynamic range of those discs gave the music so much depth and character, compared to the master tape-to-record version. I worked in a mid-high end stereo store when the 1st 8 bit DA CD players hit the market. A 1/2 speed master MFSL LP still fell short of the DDD CDs at the time, because of the dynamic range.

Unfortunately, CDs produced today are more noise than music because somebody thought the bit depth should be bigger than it actually should be, and the recording has suffered!
Old 16 March 2010, 07:21 AM   #99
2005rivers

Watch: GMT Master IIc
I have a lame home theatre system, but I enjoy listening to music in my truck;

This was right after install so the carpet is dirty

Focals in the doors
2005rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 07:23 AM   #100
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, CDs produced today are more noise than music because somebody thought the bit depth should be bigger than it actually should be, and the recording has suffered!
Well... the issue as I understand it is that CDs are now mastered to be -loud-. This clips the peaks and you never get that information back - all you get is loud distortion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

You're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that CD can stand up to SACD, DVD-Audio, or high bit encoded content.
Old 16 March 2010, 07:47 AM   #101
Porsche
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
Just to add fuel to the debate on digital v's analogue...

I have been reading the latest research on this debate.

Sound engineers of CD's and other digital recordings remove the frequencies outside of human hearing range. The argument being that if you cn't hear it, why have it there, taking up valuable bandwidth, size, processing power etc. So they filter down to the frequencies within human hearing range... BUT... appears that the tones you don't hear actually affect the harmonics of the frequencies you CAN hear.

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 07:51 AM   #102
shandy
Banned

Quote:
It is really true what is said that the golden age for LP's were the 50's 60's and early 70's before they started to use a lot more recycled vinyl in records.
Apparently now though with the advent of heavy weight virgin vinyl the quality is coming back!
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 08:30 AM   #103
snow_rocks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Well... the issue as I understand it is that CDs are now mastered to be -loud-. This clips the peaks and you never get that information back - all you get is loud distortion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

You're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that CD can stand up to SACD, DVD-Audio, or high bit encoded content.
Well, blame that on the engineers, or producers of today, because that was not a problem back 20 years ago. It seems everything today has to be loud, not accurate!
Old 16 March 2010, 08:53 AM   #104
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Nothing too elaborate..........Harmon Kardon amp & CD player with B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) speakers.

B&W speaker with front grill removed.....

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 08:57 AM   #105
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Nothing too elaborate..........Harmon Kardon amp & CD player with B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) speakers.

B&W speaker with front grill removed.....

I like my B&W speakers.....but yours JJ are awesome!
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 09:04 AM   #106
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I like my B&W speakers.....but yours JJ are awesome!
Thanks, Bob. Yes, they do sound pretty good, capable of handling up to a max of 150 watts, their clarity and bass handling is quite amazing.

My system was purchased new in 2004.........so I guess significant improvements have been made since then.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 09:07 AM   #107
dick8008
"TRF" Member

Marantz Amp
No CD....C'mon get an iPod!
Bose speakers
dick8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 09:26 AM   #108
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
NAD & Argon white glossy speakers!
Listen to all kinds of music but now most classic rock!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0447.jpg (47.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0448.jpg (56.2 KB, 72 views)

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 10:55 AM   #109
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, blame that on the engineers, or producers of today, because that was not a problem back 20 years ago. It seems everything today has to be loud, not accurate!
More like 20+ years ago it wasn't a problem. If you see the animation of the sine waves from the four "masterings" of the same Beatles track in that wiki, you'll see that only the masterings from the 80s are okay. That and perhaps some classical stuff.

Mainstream music is all ruined in by the engineers and the producers who tell them what to do.
Old 16 March 2010, 11:12 AM   #110
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetrends View Post
I miss my 8 tracks.
I also had a AM radio.

Bones, perhaps you should take a "physic" after your daily constitutional then rest on your Louis XV chair. I'll bet you hate like hell that you swapped your sundial for a damn Rolex. By your leave, sire . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg louis-xv-chair4.jpg (36.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 16 March 2010, 12:42 PM   #111
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Me likey my iPod. Its fun!

I used to run my old Kenwood receiver from the late 80's, with 100 watts and four speakers. For years it rocked hard, and really still does despite newer, better sounding units being all over the place. The Blue-Ray player links up with a nice little Onkyo package, but that old Kenwood brings memories!

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 01:50 PM   #112
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Here's my current setup;

AMP. - Poppulse T-2024

DAC - Citypulse DA 7.2x

Squeezebox

Xindak AC-02

Xindak SC-01

KEF IQ30

Cheers,
Joe
Old 8 April 2010, 02:59 PM   #113
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I have a hi def surround sound set up at my jewelry bench. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub nd 567.jpg (54.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg sub nd 568.jpg (83.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg sub nd 569.jpg (64.5 KB, 37 views)
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 03:46 PM   #114
Porsche

Watch: and learn
ha ha, nice system Paul. I see you like "vintage" in your hi-fi as well as in Rolex's!

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 04:02 PM   #115
boomtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710,116500, DJ
Slowly building a great setup

Receiver: simple Sony with decent watts
Sources: Sony turntable and Xbox360 for discs
Speakers: Focal/JM lab profile 918's
Sub: Velodyne SPL800
boomtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 09:26 PM   #116
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
All I need is a handset to be finished. The jewelry store has a little better sound system, and AC to go along with it.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 09:40 PM   #117
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
Here's my current setup;

Xindak AC-02

Xindak SC-01

Cheers,
Joe
I had a good experience with Xindak interconnects.
I've noticed that you are based in Shanghai.
China is the home of some of the surprisingly amazing tube pre, power amps.

Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 10:38 PM   #118
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
I had a good experience with Xindak interconnects.
I've noticed that you are based in Shanghai.
China is the home of some of the surprisingly amazing tube pre, power amps.

Yeah, Xindak knows there stuff, that's for sure (and so good prices over here ).

Talking about tupe amps, this Cayin A-88T is one of my favorites in this particular area.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 8 April 2010, 11:25 PM   #119
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
Yeah, Xindak knows there stuff, that's for sure (and so good prices over here ).

Talking about tupe amps, this Cayin A-88T is one of my favorites in this particular area.

Cheers,
Joe
That looks like a well build amp!
Is it based on KT88s ?

Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2010, 12:39 AM   #120
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
Is it based on KT88s ?

Yep, that's correct. 4 x KT88 - 6550EH on this little bugger.

Cheers,
Joe