The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 October 2021, 03:35 PM   #91
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
The next best thing to a daytona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm not a chrono guy but as of lately I've been lusting for one. White or Black Daytona for me it's the real deal but I don't comfortable as of now paying that price (investments and other business are my priority right now) so I was wondering, is the Black Bay chrono the next best thing to a Daytona? Obviously they're worlds apart but I'm refering to wearability, versatility and durability. I've fallen in love with Tudor and maybe this is my next move.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

In terms of versatility and durability. It’s really hard to beat the Tudor BB chrono IMO. Especially at the price point.

Actually… I’d argue the Tudor is more durable than a Daytona because of the brushed bracelet and water resistance.
Old 6 October 2021, 03:47 PM   #92
willywatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterW View Post
Sounds like he’s trolling but for some reason I agree with everything he said
So do i.The Daytona is the most over rated watch on the planet,
in my opinion.
willywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 03:56 PM   #93
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not a fan of the modern Daytona great movement but its got to be the most overhyped Rolex watch ever but whatever floats your boat..

Are you a fan of the Tudor BB chronos?
Old 6 October 2021, 04:23 PM   #94
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
#1 Daytona smokes the competition, in typical Rolex fashion, due to superior case dimensions, beautiful/elegant design, fantastic wearability, robust/reliable movement, and best clasp/bracelet on the market. Not to mention highest level of hype and perceived "value"... all that flexing and showing off on social media, blech. To me, that actually spins a negative on this model. That, plus the constant fear of damage, loss, theft, etc. Too much equity sitting on your wrist. But if you get it a retail, that is an absolute buy. So it remains among the best SS sports models you could buy from an AD. Buying grey on this model is not something I'd be interested in.

I think 2nd place would go to the Speedmaster, though I'd like to see all the kinks worked out in the new 3861 movement, and the new bracelet could use a better clasp (bracelet design and taper are GREAT, but it has no tool-less microadjust, a terrible shortcoming). New METAS movement with hacking and magnetic-resistance is a huge, huge plus. Water resistance is still only 50m, disappointing. Too bad this was not improved with the latest update. Case design is decent and now that it's a little thinner, all the better. I think overall the Speedmaster is the best contender to a Daytona, in all honesty. I tend to view this as a more humble, thoughtful, and frankly more-intelligent choice (as opposed to buying the Daytona on the secondary market). But, if you are not truly into it or if you don't appreciate it, you might wind up feeling like you always "settled" for it, and would have a negative outlook on it. In that case spend the extra 30k and get the shiny Daytona.

#3: I like the old Tudor Tiger Chronos, e.g. models like 79280 and 79260, using the Valjoux 7750. That is a beast/tank movement. The design language on the old Tudor chronos was a beauty. Just a hair thick, but manageable. So much Rolex DNA. Nice cyclops and date incorporation. The newer Tudor Chrono housing the Breitling movement just doesn't do it for me. Snowflake hand makes no sense on that chrono dial. Hard to read the time. Minute subdial goes to 45 minutes... why stop at 45, let's make it 50 minutes! or 55. that seems logical.

Zenith Chronomaster Sport Ceramic looks awesome and offers decent water resistance without screw-down pushers, a nice crown that doesn't need to be screwed down, and a jaw-dropping gorgeous display back. However, I would not buy one. Disadvantages are that:
(a.) they are not COSC certified and so you might have some deviation in accuracy,
(b.) servicing may be a chore with limited options for service centers, as compared to the more established and extensive Rolex service network,
(c.) I actually HATE the 1/10th second measurement, despite the innovation with the high-beat movement. I think it's VERY gimmicky and I would prefer the subdials to indicate minutes/hours and the main second hand to show seconds in the conventional 60-second fashion, not some crazy 10 second sweep which to me totally clashes on the bezel as you look down at your watch... I'd rather see a tachymeter that I instantly ignore, than some non-intuitive scale that goes to 10 encircling my watch.
(d.) the Zenith bracelet looks nice but the clasp is cheap and poorly executed. A friction closure on the flip-lock just isn't the same as the sublime beak-and-hook system Rolex uses. Plus the microadjust needs a tool. I wish Zenith engineered a push-button clasp that has a tool-less adjust, kinda like the Omega Seamaster Diver, but not as bulky. Really a missed opportunity.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 04:53 PM   #95
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not a fan of the modern Daytona great movement but its got to be the most overhyped Rolex watch ever but whatever floats your boat..
Lol doesn't even bother to give OP a suggestion to his question, but still posts just to crap on his desire to own a certain watch. Pathetic.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 07:12 PM   #96
efthi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Got my chrono needs covered with this exceptional piece.. ceramic case with amazing finishing, a sand blasted platinum dial, ceramic bezel with luminova.. a marvel to wear and look at. I had a black ceramic Daytona, great watch but I cannot stand the hype around Rolex for the last couple of years, I chose to stay away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
efthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 08:23 PM   #97
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
I’m more than happy with my couple of Daytona’s.

Oh, nearly forgot. This arrived today …. It’s an homage to a little bike race, giro d’italia.

I don’t mind my bikes, and this chrono is kinda cool. And the upside down 13 is a nice touch.

Don’t mind me. As you were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 08:59 PM   #98
Petroc Tremaine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calborn View Post
- Omega's Speedmaster heritage is that of the legendary chronograph that went to the moon

No, you don't say...

Who else knew? They certainly kept that quiet.
Petroc Tremaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:25 PM   #99
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
But the Speedy is a great, iconic watch. Definitely one to consider if one cannot get a Daytona. BTW, I really like that moon phase version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
This is a nice watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
They did a killer job with this watch. I tried it on a while back, it’s awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Great option! Beautiful watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
That's a real stunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoenatenich View Post
I’m a fan of this watch! Nice!
Thanks for the compliments guys

The nice thing about the Speedmaster line is Omega makes something for everyone. With all the various colors, sizes, features, bracelets, straps you can find a great one for any wrist, any occasion.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:36 PM   #100
wez004
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm not a chrono guy but as of lately I've been lusting for one. White or Black Daytona for me it's the real deal but I don't comfortable as of now paying that price (investments and other business are my priority right now) so I was wondering, is the Black Bay chrono the next best thing to a Daytona? Obviously they're worlds apart but I'm refering to wearability, versatility and durability. I've fallen in love with Tudor and maybe this is my next move.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
You said it yourself, "The Daytona for me is the real deal" and maybe the Tudor will feel like a compromise rather than an alternative.

The Tudor has Rolex DNA for sure. I own the reverse Panda and I absolutely love the piece. The Daytona has never had the wow factor for me, the no date aspect would do my head in. I brought the Tudor BB Chrono to replace a 2000 Tudor Tiger that went missing. I brought the watch because I wanted it, I've never wanted a Daytona.

One thing about the Tudor is it's a big watch compared to the Daytona which is quite dainty.
wez004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:42 PM   #101
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by efthi View Post
Got my chrono needs covered with this exceptional piece.. ceramic case with amazing finishing, a sand blasted platinum dial, ceramic bezel with luminova.. a marvel to wear and look at. I had a black ceramic Daytona, great watch but I cannot stand the hype around Rolex for the last couple of years, I chose to stay away

This is such a cool Speedy!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:45 PM   #102
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Speedmaster Professional is my favorite chronograph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:46 PM   #103
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwalter80 View Post

2. Looks: The watch that looks the closed to the Daytona is the Zenith Chronomaster Sport (maybe even better then the Rolex). For me, there are a pros and cons to this watch. I love the tri-colored sub dials and the exhibition case back, but the sub dials overlap slightly which can make the chrono tough to read. Also, the date window is just kind of awkwardly thrown on the dial and doesn't do anything for me. Also, I think this watch is slightly bigger then the Daytona at 42 mm.

Seeing them side by side the Zenith does look a bit busier - still awesome looking

Just did a quick search and seems like the Zenith is selling for over list and are out of stock new
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:50 PM   #104
efthi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
This is such a cool Speedy!

Thanks! Nothing like a Daytona but a unique Ω Speedy for sure

efthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:10 PM   #105
mjwalter80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarchiegoodwin View Post
This is fascinating. Thank you.

Zenith might be the sensible option--especially discounted on the grey market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozack90 View Post
Just did a quick search and seems like the Zenith is selling for over list and are out of stock new
Unfortunately, I don't think there is much of a discount going grey for these.
mjwalter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:22 PM   #106
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Wrote a blog post a while back for the best Daytona alternatives.
  • Girard Perregaux Laureato Chronograph
  • Omega Speedmaster
  • Zenith El Primero
  • Tudor Black Bay Chronograph
Great write up, thank you for posting! For me: I like all four, but LOVE the El Primero. The new panda dial 38mm El Primero is extremely tempting.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:28 PM   #107
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
There is no “next best” for any watch. If you get a watch because it’s the next best thing to X, then eventually you’ll still want X. Buy a watch that you like for itself and wear it. Tudor watches are great on their own terms, as are many others.
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:33 PM   #108
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by efthi View Post

That’s insanely cool lume!
Old 6 October 2021, 11:38 PM   #109
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

I really like those new Tudors and would not mind picking up the black dial version to compliment my white dial ceramic Daytona. I also love my thirty year old Speedmaster and will tell you in case you don’t know, Omegas are amazingly solid watches!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 6 October 2021, 11:41 PM   #110
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroc Tremaine View Post
No, you don't say...

Who else knew? They certainly kept that quiet.

Old 7 October 2021, 01:58 AM   #111
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
My choice would be the Zenith Defy 21 blue on rubber or bracelet. No picture does this watch justice as images can’t capture the layers of depth you see with your eye. The blue pops. Time display is crystal clear. When checking the time or using the chronograph it is not a busy display at all. When you want to stare at the marvelous movement however, it can entertain you for a long time.

Images stolen from the net:
You have to look very hard to tell this is a chronograph.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 02:49 AM   #112
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
100% ... do not settle
You won't be happy

I always wanted the Sub Date as my 1st nice watch.
I was in the process of buying the Omega Seamaster (2nd choice)
Don't get me wrong, the Seamaster is an awesome watch, but I won't be happy.
I ended up buying the Sub Date.

Still have it, still loving it.

If you want a Daytona ... go buy a Daytona.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 04:10 AM   #113
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Some excellent suggestions here- Especially the IWC- they also add interesting complications like a split second or split minute

This was my 3799 ceramic split second:

3718 split second:

3734 split second

and Aquatimer split minute:

I guess the question is "elegant" chrono: Daytona/Zenith/some Speedmasters, IWC Portuguese , or tool watch chrono: Speedmaster Pro, Speedy MkII, Blancpain Bathyscaphe, Seamaster 300, Sinn 14X or 757, or Pilot style like the excellent IWC line or very nice Breguet XX/XXI...

These would be my next Chronograph purchases
:
the IWC Portuguese:

retro flavored Speedmaster Mk2:

The Steel Bathyscaphe:

or

Ceramic "Morracan" Bathyscaphe:

Breguet XXI:

Old 7 October 2021, 04:13 AM   #114
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
The Tudor sounds great for you considering your recent love for the brand.
Like many others suggested, I’d have a look at some Speedmasters as well.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 04:24 AM   #115
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

I own a few chronographs including a 116500LN black dial. The speedmaster professional is, for me, next in line. I have the previous generation but bought the new bracelet and it has been very difficult to rotate out of it since. Other great options for chronographs: The breitling navitimer (I also have one)... but looks best to me on a strap which is less versatile than a bracelet. There are a lot of options under $10k so we dont really need to go through the list. Go with a speedy pro (on that new bracelet).
yesnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 05:22 AM   #116
2bigalow
"TRF" Member

A lot of great pieces suggested. You may also want to consider the Jaeger LeCoultre Deepsea, which in my opinion is a Daytona killer. *Ducking the rocks and bottles being thrown*
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg JLC DEEPSEA.jpeg (25.8 KB, 209 views)
2bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 05:32 AM   #117
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
The harder choice would be between the Speedmaster and Black Bay Chrono (black dial). The Daytona wouldn't even cross my mind at that point.
slus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 05:40 AM   #118
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

For me, this Speedmaster Racing 40mm is the best looking modern Chrono. The classic reverse panda style, the movement, the finishing, they’re all top not notch. 1/4 the MSRP of a Daytona and like 1/10 the street price!

I have mine on a black silicone rally strap with white stitching and an Omega deployment installed. It looks incredible! I actually prefer it to the Daytona and the Tudor Chrono. It’s just so classy and has that vintage vibe! Easy to get too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 25A8D5C3-042B-4BF9-B4C8-7CD2E4A481CA.jpeg (38.5 KB, 213 views)
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 06:07 AM   #119
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
Dang! No discounts on Zenith? I am getting priced out of the whole watch market. What we need now is a gul dern knock down drag out world depression. Yessiree. A full blown world depression. The Apple watch was supposed to dampen desire for mechanicals. But now I see people wearing both types at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwalter80 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think there is much of a discount going grey for these.
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 06:16 AM   #120
stewester
"TRF" Member

There is no alternative to a Daytona, as a large part of the Daytona's appeal is what it represents and simply the fact it's a Daytona.

The best alternative is keeping your money in your pocket or looking for something else entirely different.
stewester is offline   Reply With Quote