The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 April 2022, 12:05 AM   #91
Hawkeye98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Snobbery comes in many forms. This post can be considered snobbish too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an owner of a Speedy Pro I was really pissed to see Omega release the collab, primarily bc I thought it “cheapened” the value (not necessarily monetary) of the speedy. I have no intention of flipping my speedy as I had it engraved with my father’s, my, and my son’s name within a week of receiving it. It’s going to be a family heirloom passed down through the generations. It’s sitting on my father’s wrist for another 7 years before I am entrusted with it. My 4 YO son will inherit it when he turns 40 (dates are already engraved next to the names) unless I bite it early! I purchased the speedy bc my father is an engineer with an affinity aeronautics and all things space. I feared the MoonSwatch was going to cheapen the significance of the speedy.
All this to say I was livid and swore off Omega. Now that a few days have passed I have gotten over it and plan to purchase the plastic POS once available on the Swatch website. Haha. I am going to purchase it and use it for what it’s worth - a good looking beater that I can take on vacation without fear of losing, damaging, or having it stolen. The thing I promised myself though is not to put it on an Omega nato and try to pass it off as the real deal - like someone putting an M badge on a base 3 series BMW. It is what it is, nothing more. I will enjoy it as a $250 watch and not worry what the haters say, bc we should all purchase what we find pleasing. This hobby is subjective and shouldn’t be elitist. As a pre-teen in the 80s my love for watches developed from $25 Casios. Why should we hate on allowing people to feed and develop their appreciation for watches simply because we don’t approve of the watch they purchase? We shouldn’t.

Hawkeye98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 12:55 AM   #92
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The moonswatch is a good thing:
- The target audience is young apple watch users
- Due to the low cost of entry they will sell TONS of these
- We'll get more watch wearers!

It also demonstrates how ridiculous things have become on the 'luxury' watch scene. (Rolex now costs as much as an automobile unless you happen to get lucky at the AD - and clearly most of those 'lottery winners' turn around and flip it on Day1.) Who cares if the moonswatch just plastic & a quartz - not really different than the G-Shock but the latter is never disparaged.

Does it dilute the Omega brand? Probably not. Think of it the same way as branding by the Supreme company. People pay extra just for a red logo.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 06:06 PM   #93
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Referring to the Swatch as "garbage" is, in my opinion, akin to calling the Toyota Corolla, 'garbage'.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 06:26 PM   #94
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I get your point. But that’s an insult to an Apple Watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And Apple Watch wearers.

Like me for example.

But Mystro is in a far, far higher class than most watch wearers.

I even own Timex, Orient, Seiko, Tissot, etc. etc. …. but don’t tell him.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 06:37 PM   #95
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
I look forward to being able to buy all the variations in the beautiful original box! a masterstroke from Omega and Swatch.
Without this collaboration, I wouldn't have bought Swatch or Omega...
Like many people here, I have a lot of pretty pieces, but I really enjoy wearing these pieces of plastic!
Old 18 May 2022, 09:23 PM   #96
PO 2500D
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43TT & DJII blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Referring to the Swatch as "garbage" is, in my opinion, akin to calling the Toyota Corolla, 'garbage'.
I don't agree with that comparison, as has been said in terms of quality there are loads of better watches at the moonswatch price point like a G shock (lets make that the Toyota) it's a good value well engineered product, the Moonswatch is poor quality for the asking price, £200 watches shouldn't be leaking dye into your skin or have a crystal that cardboard can scratch, you'd expect that from a £20 Chinese knock off.
PO 2500D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 09:49 PM   #97
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Everyone, at least the investors among us should be very excited for the moon swatch. I mean given that most don’t need watches these days the fact that a wrist watch has attracted that much attention outside of the WIS community is a very good thing. This will stoke interest among those folks and possibly open the gateway to folks getting into higher end watches. The more exclusive the lux brands become the more irrelevant they become to most. One can make the case this has already happened with most of Rolex being passed around from investor to gray and back again and completely unattainable to the poor sap looking for a graduation gift this spring.

I don’t see that as a good thing. This was an actual wrist watch with no games, no screen and it got attention. That’s a net win for the entire Swiss industry as far as I’m concerned.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 10:04 PM   #98
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Too bad Omega has decided to keep these boutique only to keep the flipper hype alive. The only people Swatch/Omega are owning are those that believed the bullshit behind these garbage knockoffs. Now there are Aliexpress copies of them. My beater Casioak destroys these at less than half the retail price.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 11:13 PM   #99
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Al View Post
You talkin’ about that leaky speedy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureCoconut View Post
New nickname for plastic Speedy.... Leaky.... make it stick lol
How about LeakMaster?
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 11:46 PM   #100
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
How about LeakMaster?
LeakMaster plays
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 12:08 AM   #101
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO 2500D View Post
I don't agree with that comparison, as has been said in terms of quality there are loads of better watches at the moonswatch price point like a G shock (lets make that the Toyota) it's a good value well engineered product, the Moonswatch is poor quality for the asking price, £200 watches shouldn't be leaking dye into your skin or have a crystal that cardboard can scratch, you'd expect that from a £20 Chinese knock off.
On reflection PO2500D, you're probably correct.
I have no experience of the Moonswatch, is it THAT bad?
My daughters had Swatches when they were younger, and the were always reliable and fairly robust, hence the Corolla analogy.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 12:14 AM   #102
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 12:51 AM   #103
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

One of the more troubling (yet a bit hilarious) things is the asian rep factories are now starting crank out reps at half the price...with glass crystals on them...thereby probably making them BETTER than the originals, at a much lower price.

Also means the market is about to be flooded with reps, and it'll be likely most of them for sale 2nd hand will be a mix of genuine and rep's...
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 12:58 AM   #104
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Its a fun one got a pluto yesterday

Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 01:03 AM   #105
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Do the subdials actually function?
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 02:17 AM   #106
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
Do the subdials actually function?
Why not?
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 03:53 AM   #107
cryptowalkway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Nothing from Rolex, nor at W&W overall, is as exciting as a $260 plastic Speedy. Even if the Speedy is dying people's wrist.

Here is my other take, I think the 2nd hand market took a blow today. No discontinued hot models means the run up prior to release day had nothing behind it.

Sure there will be a big flip price for the left hander GMT (I like the Riddler the best) at first, but I don't see that having the same demand as other sport models over time. The Air-King is a solid improvement, but honestly how many people are dying to get an Air-King?

The precious metal pieces have always been easier to get from an AD than a Gray.

Overall perhaps ADs get more Subs, GMTs, Explorers and things on the secondary market come down some.

Just my 2 cents.
Mods should ban you for supporting that plastic omega
cryptowalkway is offline   Reply With Quote