The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 April 2023, 09:44 PM   #91
train-time
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your new watch! I am done with the brand after 30 years for the very reasons that you have stated. Enjoy
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 10:06 PM   #92
nGage7962
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 TT Champagne
It's a wild idea, but hear me out...

What if, everyone stopped buying from the Grey's ? Wouldn't the grey's stop buying up dealer stock (they do, let's not pretend. I know from direct experience)

And then the dealers would have something to sell directly to you.

I know, it's a crazy idea and doomed.

The supply and demand thing is all messed up because demand > supply. Well duh!

And the dealers have nothing to sell because they can either sell to us at MSRP or to a grey where the grey's brings something else to the table to sweeten the deal.

Net conclusion. We did it to ourselves. Rinse and Repeat!

DSSD
DJ 41 TT/Champagne
Tudor GMT
nGage7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 10:14 PM   #93
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercoffee View Post
Out of all the ADs I've visited thus far in the tri-state area, the one in Short Hills mall was the absolute worst. It was the first AD I visited and almost made me swear off Rolex forever, lol...
So I had a much different experience at the Boutique in Short Hills. yes, it is owned by London Jewelers ( no connection to the UK) . I am waiting for a sea Dweller but was offered , for my wife a DJ. I liked our SA very much. Granted, I just stop in while the wife is shopping LV and Gucci. I would be upset as well about the drive and your SA not being more upfront. . That is about how far away I am.
2thdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 10:21 PM   #94
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terribleone View Post
Saved me a trip to the Short Hills mall so thanks for that!
You can't get popular Rolex's anywhere just walking in can you? As I said in another post, I had a good experience at the Short hills location. It was expected that I would get on a list for my requested watch. Go there. Ask for Christopher Grey. He was our SA. We like him . Talk to him and see how is goes, but don't expect to leave with a SS sub etc.
Old 11 April 2023, 10:26 PM   #95
DarthSimon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD.Daytona.SD.Subs
So when the manger offered me a DateJust, was that a clue? If I bought that would my phone have rang a week later for an explorer??
DarthSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 10:37 PM   #96
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooey View Post
Sorry. That's total bullshit!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

What is so unbelievable about a customer, when seeing that he can make thousands of dollars for doing absolutely nothing, buying a watch from an AD and selling it to a secondary dealer?

Why is that scenario so much less plausible than ADs selling watches that would sell anyway out the back door?

Do some ADs sell the the occasional watch to a grey dealer? Probably. But nobody has really given any evidence of widespread grift.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 10:39 PM   #97
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

I would not expect this to change even with prices falling. Rolex and the ADs have to love every moment of this.

My bet is ADs will fill their shelves with CPO models as soon as they can so they can keep hiding the new models in the back.

AD: While I do not have a new model for you, I do have this 3 yr old model that I can sell you for a few thousand over MSRP. It will get you into the family and I will put you on the list for a new model.

Customer: Yes please. I will do anything to get a Rolex. Here is a gift I bought you and your staff for allowing me to spend thousands at your store.

AD: Throws gift away and all the SAs laugh at the pathetic customer who just got fleeced.

That is exactly how it is going to go. People will line up for the privilege just so they can have the same watch millions of others have.
RyanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 10:42 PM   #98
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Rolex Boutique Experience! Unreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post
So when the manger offered me a DateJust, was that a clue? If I bought that would my phone have rang a week later for an explorer??

Yes probably.

But he doesn't just want to sell you a datejust he wants you to want to buy a datejust.

They want fans of the brand and all models which you are and could have shown him with your collection.

I overheard this heated exchange from what I gather was a multiple time walk in at the AD last week.

"You won't sell me a watch so how can I build history with the brand."

"You only want hot watches. You show no interest in any other line in the brand."

"But I see guys buying this watches and showing them off on Instagram so I know youre selling them"

"You don't know their history with the brand"

Repeat line 1.
Old 11 April 2023, 10:44 PM   #99
ol' Rex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I've only been to the Short Hills Mall a few times, but I thought it was great. OP, you should have checked out some of the other stores while you were there. A great place to shop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I would bet my last dollar that at least some of these AD rants are shills for grey dealers.
There really does seem to be a pattern, doesn't there?
ol' Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 11:05 PM   #100
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
I would not expect this to change even with prices falling. Rolex and the ADs have to love every moment of this.

My bet is ADs will fill their shelves with CPO models as soon as they can so they can keep hiding the new models in the back.

AD: While I do not have a new model for you, I do have this 3 yr old model that I can sell you for a few thousand over MSRP. It will get you into the family and I will put you on the list for a new model.

Customer: Yes please. I will do anything to get a Rolex. Here is a gift I bought you and your staff for allowing me to spend thousands at your store.

AD: Throws gift away and all the SAs laugh at the pathetic customer who just got fleeced.

That is exactly how it is going to go. People will line up for the privilege just so they can have the same watch millions of others have.
You've figured it out!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 11:11 PM   #101
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe...I don't know. thing is, when the mint 36 Datejust was offered to my wife he also offered her a blue DJ 31 with fluted and jubilee. She chose the one she liked. she had no clue in advance and actually said no to me. I told her she should take it and that our anniversary is coming up and I needed a gift for her. Was the SA testing us? Maybe. I still don't have my Sea Dweller though lol.
Old 11 April 2023, 11:13 PM   #102
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Overseas dealers are a big part of that... and super fakes.

The big name grey dealers are regularly selling super fakes now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 11:17 PM   #103
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Its simple you can wait for the AD or you can pay the grey.

Depends on how bad you want it and or your time-frame.

Time is the most valuable commodity - you have to decide if you are willing to wait. DavidSW can have the piece to you via FexEx tomorrow. ;)
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 11:32 PM   #104
Norbert
"TRF" Member

I just got a Starbucks from the Boutique. I just inquired about it and they said they had one. I was on the list for the sprite, but ended up with a Starbucks. So it can happen.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 11:46 PM   #105
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
The big name grey dealers are regularly selling super fakes now?

That's a big leap from what I said were potential reasons for stickered watches.

And yes some big names of YouTube fame have sold super fakes.
Old 11 April 2023, 11:55 PM   #106
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

I had an almost identical experience at the Mall at Green Hills in Nashville. A total waste of time and the manager also led me on when contacting them prior to my arrival.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 12:02 AM   #107
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaheris View Post
Exactly. There are a lot of 'customers' who have a long list of purchase history are in fact just grey dealers or the buyers for the greys. The ADs know it. Not all ADs do it this way but I bet a lot are given the current market. What other dealings they have on the sides is another topic. When you visit the grey dealers, where do you think the heavily discounted, brand new non-rolexes inventory come from?

It's bizarre to think owners of AD won't try to maximize their profits.
I agree that a lot of AD’s are supplying gray market dealers, but not about them selling to the buyers for the grays.

There is no incentive to sell to a retail customer that is known to be buying for a gray dealer. The AD must sell at a premium over MSRP directly to the grays, otherwise what’s the point?
Old 12 April 2023, 12:26 AM   #108
TexEd
"TRF" Member

I have four Rolex and all bought from secondary market. I refuse to deal with AD's and all the bulls__t that it entails.
TexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 12:29 AM   #109
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Huh? Obviously someone is getting them. That’s the point of the “back door”. Do you really believe that these salesmen/managers, knowing that the moment that watch leaves their store and the value goes up 2 or 3 or 4 times, aren’t getting in on that action? Really?

Yes I do. In the UK at least. Maybe Rolex USA turns a blind eye, but not Rolex UK.

And I know both ADs and "greys"

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 12:33 AM   #110
BKScripto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
I agree that a lot of AD’s are supplying gray market dealers, but not about them selling to the buyers for the grays.

There is no incentive to sell to a retail customer that is known to be buying for a gray dealer. The AD must sell at a premium over MSRP directly to the grays, otherwise what’s the point?

I think it’s more of I’ll sell you this popular Rolex model at MSRP if you buy some of the other crap we can’t turnover type of thing. They make their $ that way instead of marking up a Rolex and possibly losing their AD status.
BKScripto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 12:36 AM   #111
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
So I am in the Market for an Explorer 2 White Dial Polar. I called the Rolex Boutique (Not an AD, a real Boutique according to manager 15 in USA) in Short Hills Mall, and was told they were not able to talk about current inventory over the phone. The manager John Sheridan stated that they had over 100 models on display, and did have stock. I said to him I am coming from 1 Hour and 15 minutes away and could you kindly as a courtesy let me know. He refused to answer me one way or another. Stating policy. After going back and forth a few times the guy gave this whole story about how it's the Rolex experience and this is how we handle sales. I kinda had a feeling after talking to him he had one on stock.....

So I make the trip and trudge 75 minutes and enter the store. The manager greets me, walks me over to a showcase and states right off the bat, the only watch I have is this Datejust with Salmon dial. I wanted to throw up! More in particular all over this guy. He then walks me over to the display of the Polar EX2 and shows me the piece. I stated to him I am here to buy, not gawk. He took my name and number on a card, and I left. This policy has to end! It's utterly ridiculous. At least tell me on the phone your wasting your time. No value for other peoples time and money.

I guess I'm back to the grey market, and the dealers that service this site. Patrick from OCWATCHGUY has 3 Polar's in stock, now has 2, and I ordered on and a fair price. Nothing crazy over list.
I live 10 minutes away. I could have run over there for you.

They offered me a Wimbledon DJ41 at the opening but haven't offered me anything since. This includes not being offered anything off my wish list for my 40th birthday which has passed.

EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 12:36 AM   #112
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post
So basically this:

This is fantastic!!!
Old 12 April 2023, 12:40 AM   #113
Ruvv
Banned

Watch: 126710
The never ending excuses from AD is exhausting
Ruvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 12:42 AM   #114
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Then how do you explain greys regularly get fully stickered watches including plastic around the bezel, all the time?
They don't get fully stickered watches all the time.

They hardly ever get stickered watches any more.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 12:44 AM   #115
EndlessEight

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercoffee View Post
Out of all the ADs I've visited thus far in the tri-state area, the one in Short Hills mall was the absolute worst. It was the first AD I visited and almost made me swear off Rolex forever, lol...
Yep. Sucks the two "good" ones I had an active and healthy relationship with are gone.
Old 12 April 2023, 12:49 AM   #116
EndlessEight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terribleone View Post
Well you certainly just saved me a trip to the Short Hills mall! I was going to make the rounds to all of the North Jersey AD's in the next week or so trying to get on a list to obtain my first ever Rolex. I feel like the Short Hills Rolex Boutique mall would not welcome me with open arms.
Definitely not.

I relayed my disappointment in not being offered anything for my 40th birthday (DJ41 in white or blue, Sub, or Sub LV) to a reputable source who has deep connections there and he said "It's very political there, I'm not surprised".

My SA who's sold me a BLRO in the past recently reached out to me asking where I've been.

Old 12 April 2023, 12:51 AM   #117
EndlessEight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
I was a long term customer like 20 plus years, then the hype started and they wanted to profile me, you know hows business, what is it you actually do, what are your intentions this year.

I told them to p*ss off and mind their own business not mine.
That's hilarious.

I actually had to make a profile just prior to their opening. I guess I didn't make the cut.
Old 12 April 2023, 12:57 AM   #118
lourenofre
"TRF" Member

Y'all do understand that these kinds of rants against the so called "shortage policy" is what grows the brand's desirability right? They know their trade...
lourenofre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 01:16 AM   #119
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
So I am in the Market for an Explorer 2 White Dial Polar. I called the Rolex Boutique (Not an AD, a real Boutique according to manager 15 in USA) in Short Hills Mall, and was told they were not able to talk about current inventory over the phone. The manager John Sheridan stated that they had over 100 models on display, and did have stock. I said to him I am coming from 1 Hour and 15 minutes away and could you kindly as a courtesy let me know. He refused to answer me one way or another. Stating policy. After going back and forth a few times the guy gave this whole story about how it's the Rolex experience and this is how we handle sales. I kinda had a feeling after talking to him he had one on stock.....

So I make the trip and trudge 75 minutes and enter the store. The manager greets me, walks me over to a showcase and states right off the bat, the only watch I have is this Datejust with Salmon dial. I wanted to throw up! More in particular all over this guy. He then walks me over to the display of the Polar EX2 and shows me the piece. I stated to him I am here to buy, not gawk. He took my name and number on a card, and I left. This policy has to end! It's utterly ridiculous. At least tell me on the phone your wasting your time. No value for other peoples time and money.

I guess I'm back to the grey market, and the dealers that service this site. Patrick from OCWATCHGUY has 3 Polar's in stock, now has 2, and I ordered on and a fair price. Nothing crazy over list.
The problem is that after the manager told you something like that you still drove 75 minutes to the boutique.

THIS is what's really crazy IMHO, not the fact that he didn't have watches to sell.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 03:11 AM   #120
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post

Exactly! They have to be laughing their back-ends off all the way to the bank at the expense of the brand's loyal fans, or should I say fools. Working at an AD over the last few years must seem like being in a sit-com.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote