The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2023, 02:52 AM   #91
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Is there someone here who has never picked the wrong email or name from an autocomplete pop up?

Seriously?...lawyers, loss of franchise, IRS and all this hand wringing and outrage before he even talks to the AD?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Right. And, selfishly for the OP, why go to that level before seeing what the AD will do out of sheer embarrassment?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 02:55 AM   #92
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is there someone here who has never picked the wrong email or name from an autocomplete pop up?

Seriously?...lawyers, loss of franchise, IRS and all this hand wringing and outrage before he even talks to the AD?

Was exactly my thoughts as well. This entire story unfolding is bizarre to say the least. Could have been a legitimate mistake (perhaps phone number missed by a digit even, populated another customer) and a simple phone call might fix it (along with profuse apologies I’m sure).

Perhaps we’re just wired to immediately think the worst of ADs now or something, dunno.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 02:59 AM   #93
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:

X2

Some of these suggestions here are ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 03:01 AM   #94
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Might have made sense to start this thread after you talked to the store. Then you would have known exactly what happened.
That would have been much less fun.

I’d send the link for this thread to the store manager before you go in to let him realise how many people are waiting for the answer and give him some time to rummage around the safe, see what’s gathering dust back there and start polishing up your new BLNR for you!
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 03:08 AM   #95
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
That would have been much less fun.

I’d send the link for this thread to the store manager before you go in to let him realise how many people are waiting for the answer and give him some time to rummage around the safe, see what’s gathering dust back there and start polishing up your new BLNR for you!
OP has had a long-term great relationship with this AD. He has bought four watches from them with no issues. He hopes there will be many more, I think. The last thing he needs is his AD seeing this thread. They have feelings too.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 03:14 AM   #96
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

Quote:
Might have made sense to start this thread after you talked to the store. Then you would have known exactly what happened.
I agree. OP jumped the gun by posting here and on Reddit before even hearing back from the AD. Should’ve waited till he made contact.

I imagine if the AD caught wind of this thread OP will quietly ask the mods to delete it at risk of them being potentially named.
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 03:17 AM   #97
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
X2

Some of these suggestions here are ridiculous.

OP was on the waitlist for this watch. That would be some coincidence to pick an incorrect email for someone who was waiting for that piece.

OP has confirmed the email address is correct and the message contained a serial for the watch so it was a sale and not a mistake.

It may not be the shady deal it very much sounds like, but it’s certainly not ridiculous to suggest that it is.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 03:32 AM   #98
albertf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
No. It’s for anything 10k and over. So no report would have been filed. That’s why they paid $9,900 cash.
side note: The report can be filed voluntarily even if the cash amount doesn't exceed 10k. This is to help prevent people from purposefully structuring their transaction.

You might want to go ahead and ask the AD about this on Sunday just in case.
albertf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 03:33 AM   #99
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

I was emailed a receipt of a GMT purchased by someone else under my information and n

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
OP was on the waitlist for this watch. That would be some coincidence to pick an incorrect email for someone who was waiting for that piece.

OP has confirmed the email address is correct and the message contained a serial for the watch so it was a sale and not a mistake.

It may not be the shady deal it very much sounds like, but it’s certainly not ridiculous to suggest that it is.

I never said suggesting it may be shady was ridiculous, I was referring more to the suggestions to immediately file a police report, get a lawyer, “go public” etc.

First step is to go talk to the AD like a rational adult, hear what they say and take it from there.

Old 22 June 2023, 03:48 AM   #100
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
OP has had a long-term great relationship with this AD. He has bought four watches from them with no issues. He hopes there will be many more, I think. The last thing he needs is his AD seeing this thread. They have feelings too.
I know that - my post was in jest. I will make it more obvious next time.

My first post on this topic implied it but wasn’t clear - it sounds like a payment structured to get under the reporting regulations. That plus the incorrect receipt does make it sound odd.

Realistically, we’ll probably never find out. Regardless of the actual position, the AD will most likely apologise and say they sent the receipt to the wrong person & email address. Very sorry sir - we’ve updated our system - please have a free Rolex pen…
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 04:13 AM   #101
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Icon4

You got famous on IG to OP

This will be very interesting no doubt
Attached Images
File Type: png 7031586B-392D-4705-92D3-1E6291D9DDC2.png (267.9 KB, 772 views)
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 04:15 AM   #102
fredos_rolex
"TRF" Member

The $9900 cash and rest on card is such a huge red flag it isn't even funny. That's called a structured transaction. You can bet your ass the IRS wants to know about the details regarding this sale. OP, it's your ass on the line since they have your ID and account information. I would strongly suggest you get to the bottom of what's going on right now, and not take your sweet time and wait to meet the store manager on Sunday?

Then again, maybe you like the idea of an IRS-sponsored proctology exam, have fun with that!
fredos_rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 04:24 AM   #103
justryanliu
"TRF" Member

Probably a wrong profile?
justryanliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 04:24 AM   #104
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
I understand wanting to speak to someone in person but it would be hard for me to wait until Sunday

Are they a good bit away to travel to?
Old 22 June 2023, 04:48 AM   #105
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
I understand wanting to speak to someone in person but it would be hard for me to wait until Sunday

Are they a good bit away to travel to?
I agree with you guys. I just sent out a lengthy email asking for a detailed explanation. Short story, yes the AD is far for me to go the very next day, especially when I am not at my office.

Also, they are a big chain AD so I can never get through to someone over the phone. My previous SA I used to text, quit a few months ago.
HelloMelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 04:51 AM   #106
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
You got famous on IG to OP

This will be very interesting no doubt
Ummf
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 04:58 AM   #107
DD58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMelo View Post
I'd rather wait and talk to them in person. Sorry if the updates aren't fast enough for people on this forum.

I don’t blame you I’d like and in person sit down. On this matter. Very Interested in knowing what they have to say. Maybe you can get your gmt out of the deal.

DD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 05:26 AM   #108
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredos_rolex View Post
The $9900 cash and rest on card is such a huge red flag it isn't even funny. That's called a structured transaction. You can bet your ass the IRS wants to know about the details regarding this sale. OP, it's your ass on the line since they have your ID and account information. I would strongly suggest you get to the bottom of what's going on right now, and not take your sweet time and wait to meet the store manager on Sunday?

Then again, maybe you like the idea of an IRS-sponsored proctology exam, have fun with that!
To my knowledge, no transactions under $10k gets flagged. Maybe I'm unaware of a different policy.
Old 22 June 2023, 06:05 AM   #109
grapefruit
Banned

Joined for this thread!

Crazy some suggestions to blackmail or threaten it to the AD! Don’t do it OP!
grapefruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 06:33 AM   #110
Podmornica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapefruit View Post
Joined for this thread!

Hi there AD, how is it going? Any other watches to sell backdoor?
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 06:54 AM   #111
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
Hi there AD, how is it going? Any other watches to sell backdoor?
Hahaha any list for a daytona panda ?
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 07:03 AM   #112
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Joined for this thread!

I wouldn’t unless I have solid evidence of shady behavior. I sent them an email to inquire about it and we’ll see what they say

Old 22 June 2023, 07:05 AM   #113
wb55
"TRF" Member

This thread is going to take ages to conclude but due to the cash + card with values concerned it smells like money laundering. Not cool.

I’d be tempted google the SA and see if they’re a relatively recent hire or a tenured and trusted employee. Meaningless of course but I’d be tempted nonetheless.
wb55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 07:06 AM   #114
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredos_rolex View Post

Okay
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 07:10 AM   #115
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
This thread is going to take ages to conclude but due to the cash + card with values concerned it smells like money laundering. Not cool.

I’d be tempted google the SA and see if they’re a relatively recent hire or a tenured and trusted employee. Meaningless of course but I’d be tempted nonetheless.

Well I sent the store manager a more detailed email along with screenshots of the receipt and original email. Still waiting on a response. If I don’t hear back by tomorrow afternoon, I’ll be visiting them in person.

Old 22 June 2023, 07:19 AM   #116
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Joined for this thread!

Welcome to the forum.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 07:30 AM   #117
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypanam View Post
The fact that they paid JUST under the $10k threshold for IRS reporting makes this extra sketchy... They knew what they were doing.
That doesn't mean it's sketchy. I ordered a new car back in 2019 and put $10k cash on the salesman's desk as down payment. We made a deal and they gave me a $100 bill back to keep the transaction below $10k. People who regularly do big cash transactions want to avoid paperwork if they can.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 07:35 AM   #118
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
That doesn't mean it's sketchy. I ordered a new car back in 2019 and put $10k cash on the salesman's desk as down payment. We made a deal and they gave me a $100 bill back to keep the transaction below $10k. People who regularly do big cash transactions want to avoid paperwork if they can.
Sounds like you're a bit sketchy!

Old 22 June 2023, 09:42 AM   #119
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Is it Sunday yet?

Old 22 June 2023, 12:26 PM   #120
fredos_rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMelo View Post
To my knowledge, no transactions under $10k gets flagged. Maybe I'm unaware of a different policy.
You would be wrong. Transactions as little as $1000 can get flagged nowadays depending on the circumstances.

And more importantly--if this AD is playing games, do you think this is the first time they've structured a transaction like this? I bet you they have many such sales where the cash amount is $9500, $9800, $9600, etc...You don't want your info attached to one of those transactions. Trust me on that one.
fredos_rolex is offline   Reply With Quote