The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 July 2023, 01:38 AM   #91
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Thank you. I agree the new 5178G is flamboyant and it comes with an additional bright orange strap too

The 5539 black is an elegant, understated and beautiful watch. Also looking at the new 5316, it appears to me Patek is trying to pitch their MR to younger collectors. Maybe a change in strategy?
I think you are a 100 right. hence the modern 5178 and 5316 iterations. Definitely trying to attract the younger crowd. As long as they keep a balance with the classic offerings Im all for it.

Was just at a patek event from my local AD definitelty only a very few younger people in their 30s though (i think younger people with big money are mainly in asia) and most of the older folks were also wearing (and loving) nautilus / aquanaut. nothing wrong with it but didnt expect a 5270P and 5140 to stand out in the sea of hype pieces.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 02:16 PM   #92
RKunz
"TRF" Member

As for minute repeaters, clients are reviewed. The price is quoted in Swiss Francs. Price is subject to change due to currency fluctuations. Delivery years. Dealers can lose sleep worrying about the transaction. Client posting things on a watch forum is quick way of being crossed off a list.
RKunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 11:10 PM   #93
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKunz View Post
As for minute repeaters, clients are reviewed. The price is quoted in Swiss Francs. Price is subject to change due to currency fluctuations. Delivery years. Dealers can lose sleep worrying about the transaction. Client posting things on a watch forum is quick way of being crossed off a list.
What type of postings would cause concerns with an AD? I would think anything critical of the brand or current sales process would be a start. What else?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 03:31 PM   #94
benzng
"TRF" Member

Hope you will get allocated one soon!
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 02:34 AM   #95
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Love the sound made by Patek's cathedral gongs.

My AD represented that all applications for minute repeater are approved at Patek HQ. Once approved, successful applicants will pay 50% as deposit, and the rest 3 to 4 years later upon completion.

Does anyone know what is Patek's criteria for their approval of minute repeaters? My SE doesn't know for sure but he said Patek HQ has approved the application for another customer who already owned a 5204.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Further to a recent factory visit and getting to handle a number of MR's (plus previous Geneva salon visits), I have to say the sound of the 5178G with cathedral gongs is absolutely stunning - the dial is mesmerizing but the sound is even better.

I haven't read all the comments but just to say MR's are priced in CHF and Patek (not your AD) once you are approved for an MR will take a CHF30k (+tax) deposit and delivery will be within 2 years.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 03:06 PM   #96
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I think you are a 100 right. hence the modern 5178 and 5316 iterations. Definitely trying to attract the younger crowd. As long as they keep a balance with the classic offerings Im all for it.
I would do anything to get the 5316, though I understand the 5316 will not be my first MR as I have to buy a entry MR first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzng View Post
Hope you will get allocated one soon!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Further to a recent factory visit and getting to handle a number of MR's (plus previous Geneva salon visits), I have to say the sound of the 5178G with cathedral gongs is absolutely stunning - the dial is mesmerizing but the sound is even better.

I haven't read all the comments but just to say MR's are priced in CHF and Patek (not your AD) once you are approved for an MR will take a CHF30k (+tax) deposit and delivery will be within 2 years.
Thanks Russell!
I will visit the salon in Sep and hear the actual gongs in person. They sound great in videos and I look forward to the actual experience.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 03:31 PM   #97
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Super interesting and informational thread. Best of luck OP..!
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 07:21 PM   #98
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would do anything to get the 5316, though I understand the 5316 will not be my first MR as I have to buy a entry MR first.

Thank you!

Thanks Russell!
I will visit the salon in Sep and hear the actual gongs in person. They sound great in videos and I look forward to the actual experience.
The entry level repeater reads like such an oxymoron but incompletely get it :). There are levels to everything!

Following your journey with interest. What is great to see is the passion required for the brand, which seems to be more than simply purchase history.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Old 30 August 2023, 08:05 PM   #99
Partekular
"TRF" Member

There is a 5316 on Chrono 24..
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 08:36 PM   #100
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Super interesting and informational thread. Best of luck OP..!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
The entry level repeater reads like such an oxymoron but incompletely get it :). There are levels to everything!
Apologies I shouldn't have used entry level on MR. It is the pinnacle of watchmaking and I should have described "the MR without other complications" for the likes of 5178G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
There is a 5316 on Chrono 24.
I'm not sure what's the price of the 50P in C24 but buying from AD/Patek will give owner access to off-catalogue watches. It's 1 stone many birds, and I'm a big fan of arts.
Old 30 August 2023, 10:43 PM   #101
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Yeah if you have the money and the status with AD/salon to buy one from them then you’re probably green lit for rare handcrafts, piece uniques like you’d get from an exhibition, gemset models, etc…

Definitely worth it if you can get one you want.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 12:27 AM   #102
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

To get the 5316, any MR purchase made to qualify for it might be best described as an “Anterior MR”

Hope the sounds make you happy. I’d describe PP MR’s as light chimes from previous auditions of prior models.

But I did read about the new model’s “audio engineering” design employed to project a more substantial volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 02:41 AM   #103
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Please do a trip report.

I will be visiting the Salon in early November and would like to see what MRs I can expect to see and hear.

What are the other ateliers on your itinerary?

Quote:
Thank you!

Apologies I shouldn't have used entry level on MR. It is the pinnacle of watchmaking and I should have described "the MR without other complications" for the likes of 5178G.

I'm not sure what's the price of the 50P in C24 but buying from AD/Patek will give owner access to off-catalogue watches. It's 1 stone many birds, and I'm a big fan of arts.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 02:54 AM   #104
dauster
"TRF" Member

Goldberger just posted the new 5178

Looks absolutely amazing omg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 August 2023, 09:29 AM   #105
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Please do a trip report.

I will be visiting the Salon in early November and would like to see what MRs I can expect to see and hear.
Yeah the Patek Salon is a good visit to handle those watches like MR which will never be displayed at our AD.

Quote:
Goldberger just posted the new 5178

Looks absolutely amazing omg
Totally agree. That is also a rare handcraft, and I would hope to get an allocation. The combination of MR and handcraft is intoxicating.
Old 31 August 2023, 10:43 AM   #106
OTWT
"TRF" Member

I was at the Geneva salon two weeks ago, spent 3 amazing hours before I had to go for the museum tour. Truly a great experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OTWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 11:13 AM   #107
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTWT View Post
I was at the Geneva salon two weeks ago, spent 3 amazing hours before I had to go for the museum tour. Truly a great experience.
What's your view on the 5316/50P please? It looks incredible.

How much time would you recommend for the museum?
Old 31 August 2023, 12:40 PM   #108
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
What's your view on the 5316/50P please? It looks incredible.

How much time would you recommend for the museum?
I recommend several hours for the museum and I’d recommend taking a tour. I could have easily spent most of the day in there.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 12:42 PM   #109
OTWT
"TRF" Member

The 5316/50P was the last watch that I had the pleasure of experiencing and it was a bit rushed as I had to leave for the museum tour. I’m not qualified to really speak about MR’s but there’s no denying it’s an incredibly beautiful piece. I was told that the platinum case tends to give a more metallic tinny sound compared to other metals and when it’s held against wood it resonates much better. I have videos of but not sure how to post.

If you are getting a private guided tour which I highly recommend it last 2 hours and it’s packed with non stop information, they keep tightly to the schedule too. There was so much to take in, you could easily spend a several more hours after the tour if you handle it.

Btw- not sure what the proper protocol is but my tour started at 2pm and when I got to the museum there was probably a 10-15 minute que to get to the desk where you get the tickets to go in, after waiting for a a few minutes I walked up the stairs to the desk bypassing the line and told them I was there for a guided tour and they put me in the front of the que and processed my tickets which still took a few minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OTWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 02:05 PM   #110
mooty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you!

depending on xchg rate at time of delivery. it will likely bounce bn 900k - 1mm USD if delivered in next 12 months
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 02:19 PM   #111
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I recommend several hours for the museum and I’d recommend taking a tour. I could have easily spent most of the day in there.
Thanks! This is my watch trip and I will spend some quality time at the Museum and handle those MRs at the Salon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
depending on xchg rate at time of delivery. it will likely bounce bn 900k - 1mm USD if delivered in next 12 months
The last price I heard was CHF 810k and this is very close to your USD number. The issue I have is I won't be allocated the 50P. I need to start with the 5178G.
Old 1 September 2023, 01:37 AM   #112
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Hey folks, I created a new thread influenced by the great interactions in this thread. Would love some of your inputs there. Posting on this thread in case you miss the new post.

I'm glad and lucky to be part of this wonderful community.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...4#post12928344

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2023, 02:26 AM   #113
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah the Patek Salon is a good visit to handle those watches like MR which will never be displayed at our AD.

Totally agree. That is also a rare handcraft, and I would hope to get an allocation. The combination of MR and handcraft is intoxicating.
the dial plus strap combo is great, would love to see a live shot of the orange strap. Good luck with the hunt..
Old 1 September 2023, 02:52 AM   #114
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
the dial plus strap combo is great, would love to see a live shot of the orange strap. Good luck with the hunt..
Not a live shot but this is all I have at the moment. Peach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230901_005033_Samsung Internet.jpg (214.9 KB, 416 views)
Old 1 September 2023, 03:01 AM   #115
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Thanks! This is my watch trip and I will spend some quality time at the Museum and handle those MRs at the Salon.

The last price I heard was CHF 810k and this is very close to your USD number. The issue I have is I won't be allocated the 50P. I need to start with the 5178G.

Getting a MR would be an amazing feat. I hope you get the one you want!

But do I understand what you wrote correctly - you would spend upwards of $1 million USD on a watch that isn’t exactly what you want? And PP would make you “start” by buying a certain “level” of MR before you can buy the one you actually want?
Old 1 September 2023, 03:14 AM   #116
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Getting a MR would be an amazing feat. I hope you get the one you want!

But do I understand what you wrote correctly - you would spend upwards of $1 million USD on a watch that isn’t exactly what you want? And PP would make you “start” by buying a certain “level” of MR before you can buy the one you actually want?
Thanks!

I like many of the current MR. The point is there are some MR like the 5316/50P, 5531, 5303 and 6301 which are not available to collectors who don't already own a MR. I need to buy another MR such as the 5178G first. Don't get me wrong I love the 5178G and I will happily buy one if I get an allocation.
Old 1 September 2023, 03:47 AM   #117
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not a live shot but this is all I have at the moment. Peach.
Thanks, I have seen this one - looks fantastic hopefully Ill get to see a live shot soon.
Old 1 September 2023, 04:18 AM   #118
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks, I have seen this one - looks fantastic hopefully Ill get to see a live shot soon.
Mine arrives in March so if you haven’t seen one by then I’ll be able to oblige.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2023, 11:06 AM   #119
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mine arrives in March so if you haven’t seen one by then I’ll be able to oblige.
that's great - can't wait to see the pics. congrats in advance. Couple of nice incomings for you with the recent RH addition.
Old 1 September 2023, 11:17 AM   #120
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Congratulations Russell
Are you waiting for both the 5178 and 5207 at the same time?