The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 August 2023, 09:48 AM   #91
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horationelson View Post
Pretty outrageous. Basically a non-certified pre-owned watch by the time you collect it.

I wouldn't say no to buying a watch that had previously been on display/exhibition, so long as I could inspect it immediately prior to committing to purchase and making payment.

One of the last exhibition watches I was handed in a boutique (226570) had a huge dent in the side of the case - the salesperson said that a customer had dropped it on the ceramic floor when handling it, but they were still keeping it on the shop floor to show customers. If that watch had been offered to me for sale, I wouldn't have bought it, even if I had been in the market for that watch. But what if I had bought (paid for) that watch a few weeks earlier and given consent for the AD to let customers view it before I was allowed to collect it, and that happened (or something similar)?
Technically, it's not necessarily pre-owned if the card is not filled out either.
So we don't know the details of around any other terms and conditions of the deal on offer in the first instance.

I wonder if there was room enough in the negotiations(if any) to make the arrangement more palatable to the OP
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:05 AM   #92
ijoinedforthisthread
"TRF" Member

That's ridiculous, good on you for declining. I don't mind buying a watch that has been on display because I can assess its condition, but AD shouldn't try to display MY watch (since I just paid for it for their benefit!

I suspect these type of shenanigans will come to an end soon enough.
ijoinedforthisthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:17 AM   #93
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Once you pay 100% of something and receive a receipt, it contractually becomes yours.

This is ridiculous.
Yes it is ridiculous, from a certain point of view
But in the wash up, what are the OP's chances of getting the watch at the retail price straight out of the coffin, let alone as a walk in off the street from another dealer?
As a counter point, what is the chances of getting the watch at retail through a grey dealer?

What do you consider the chances of the OP getting another call for that reference?
Especially given they were down for that reference for a considerably long time, patiently waiting and waiting, and waiting and waiting and waiting for the call.

In some ways, I see it as an important missed opportunity on a number of levels.
Then again I see opportunities everywhere, especially when I'm able to see the whites of their eyes in important discussions such as this would've been when I was in there face to face to gauge them and potentially paying for it

We have to accept that everything as we once knew it has changed dramatically.

The other night I was watching a reno competition show on TV and one of the conversations was around a lovely Hermes Grace Kelly bag(which was rather lovely by the way). The bag was held out as a motivational tool.
Anyway, the comment from the main presenter was that it will certainly go up in value. "Better than a Rolex" quote, unquote was another statement he made in that regard.

Soo, things are strange indeed
I'm glad I've got all the Rolex watches i could really want
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:45 AM   #94
garg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Hey, at least they were honest about it. They could have hit you up in a month, and this could have been a "Got the Call!" Post.
This is very different from a got the call post.

1. He has to pre pay one month in advance with no goods
2. In a normal purchase, he inspects the watch at point of sale prior to committing, if there are blemishes he can reject it on the spot

Accepting that your partner has previous partners before is very different from knowing that your partner is going to have a future partner for one month

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:47 AM   #95
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by garg View Post
This is very different from a got the call post.

1. He has to pre pay one month in advance with no goods
2. In a normal purchase, he inspects the watch at point of sale prior to committing, if there are blemishes he can reject it on the spot

Accepting that your partner has previous partners before is very different from knowing that your partner is going to have a future partner for one month

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
Lol that analogy is priceless
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 05:41 PM   #96
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Glad you did what you did Steve, part of the ‘experience’ is seeing it for the first time (mine have been in coffins), taking the stickers off, and putting it on your wrist as a NEW watch.

If I buy a demo (regardless of what it is, car, appliance, electronics) I do not expect to pay retail…

To take that all away just bites.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 06:45 PM   #97
mattidk
"TRF" Member

My AD has practice not to let owner know before 1 week to pick up even the watch has been on display for sometimes, so you can decline later when seeing the watch live. a bit strange that they needed your full deposit up front...
mattidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 07:20 PM   #98
yoast
"TRF" Member

Isn't that illegal? Once you pay in full, the watch is yours, no?
Old 22 August 2023, 07:54 PM   #99
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

At my AD a display watch might be tried on once every couple days. They have many display pieces and at any given hour they aren’t actively engaging “potential” customers to try on those pieces.

If they know you as a paying customer, yes, they are okay with a gentle and supervised try on, of course.

Based on the regional differences, and if waiting since 2019, it seems a small price to pay. Better than a grey piece that may have been shipped/sold/handled/returned far more regularly. New high end cars are often “display” pieces if after being sold to a customer (until the customer picks it up) and are touched, leaned on, sat inside… and many “new” cars have some mileage. If a hot car, no discount either (maybe a markup!)

Also totally understand declining it…

All said, someone can purchase it, allow this display practice but stipulate that there be no polishing of the watch after this period. Upon pickup, inspect the piece and if it doesn’t appear perfect, decline and get a refund.
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 07:57 PM   #100
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
Isn't that illegal? Once you pay in full, the watch is yours, no?
If both parties agree up front before payment, how can it be illegal?

You can pay for a house in full and agree sellers can occupy for a stipulated period. Of course whole bunch of contractual protections make sense in that case but no different.

It is just an agreement between two parties. Now, if someone pays first and THEN the watch is held “hostage” at the dealer, that is entirely different…
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 09:34 PM   #101
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I don't know why but they were inflexible on the pick up window of 18-21 September. But just the thought of having waited so long for this watch and paying for it, and then giving the shop the possession and use of the watch for their display purposes, its perverse and unconscionable from an authorised retailer. It does not reflect well upon Rolex's corporate morality to endorse this activity by their retailers.

Also, the watch is going to be wound, crown unscrewed and screwed, and who knows what. Once I pay for it, it should be my watch with full ownership rights entitlements and possession, not a retailer keeping it and using it for their own commercial purposes.

I expect the reason why they want payment up front is if upon collection in 1 month's time it is discovered to be scratched, then they can just say they will get that fixed in a couple of days and refuse to give a refund on the spot.

Agree, that scenario would’ve been a no from me. What a let down some of these AD shenanigans are becoming.

GMT II 126719 Meteorite + GMT II 126710BLRO + Daytona 116500LN (White) + Submariner 16610LV + Explorer II 16570 Polar
+ Submariner 116610LV + GMT II 16713 Rootbeer + Sky-Dweller 336934 (Blue) + GMT II 16710 (Pepsi & Coke) + Sea-Dweller 116600

Breitling Premier B25 Datora

2FA Security Active
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:39 PM   #102
Seo
"TRF" Member

As the world heads into a period of time where money isn’t just lying around everywhere I hope these ADs learn a lesson
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:41 PM   #103
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Amazing, a grey dealer can get you a new watch, covered in stickers on the day you want it but direct from AD and Rolex, you don’t get a mint example or experience.

ADs are ruining it ….
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:49 PM   #104
ndane
"TRF" Member

This is crazy. But yeah, I would do this if it was a watch I really wanted. I mean, it’s better than going grey because you’re still only paying retail and it’s coming from an AD, so you know you’re covered. But yeah, this is a crazy ask.
ndane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:51 PM   #105
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The "funniest" thing about this whole transaction is that the buyer, having paid in full a month earlier, can only pick up his watch during a three day window. I guess the AD's safe is full and they need to clear the room!
Old 22 August 2023, 11:32 PM   #106
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I think the difference is mostly psychological. This is hardly new, it's a variation of a common scenario over the last 5 years.

Why to reject
- Watch paid for 100%, it should be "yours"
- Yet watch will get fondled for another month
- Who pays for damage? Will scratches trigger a full refinish?

Why to accept
- In the "good old days" watches had likely been fingered for months but we didn't care.
- Even if buying Grey you're the 3rd owner at best. It's through some hands (Rolex, AD, Buyer, at least one Grey, plus unknown handling in between)
- If the Market Price for the watch is more than MSRP you're still coming out ahead. Explorer no longer qualify but the usual hype pieces (GMT, Daytona) certainly do.

Not totally sure what I'd do but I'd likely take the offer for a hype piece.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 11:43 PM   #107
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

That's just ridiculous!
WatchThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 12:51 AM   #108
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

It wouldn't bother me buying a watch that was in the exhibition display - shop wear and handling aren't going to seriously impact a watch.

The problem I have would be paying for a watch and not having possession of it for several weeks while it is in a store on display.

I would have passed as well.
Old 23 August 2023, 02:34 AM   #109
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Good call!
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 08:10 AM   #110
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Good call. That’s a ridiculous request and I would have said no as well.
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 08:18 AM   #111
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Find a new AD bruh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 08:41 AM   #112
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post
Contact Rolex direct
Why this is their rule so there is stuff in the case. I would have said no too. Paying and dating the card a month in advance is a hard no.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote