The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 April 2020, 01:55 AM   #121
AlexFrank
"TRF" Member

I still wear my watch around the house, its my time piece
AlexFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 03:17 AM   #122
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
To me it makes no sense for me to wear an expensive piece of almost useless jewelry when I am at home, which is most of the time now. I have so many sources to see the time. Im finding the AW5 the most useful thing ever during this lock down. Its great so I don't miss any package deliveries incase i go into another room without my phone. It helps me keep track of my activity etc since our habits are changing. Im a pretty active and in shape person but the AW helps even more esp since i share activity with many friends.

I love my Daytona and have no intentions of parting with it but it is the most useless thing I own right now. Even when I go out its for a long walk and I want the AW to track that. Also standing outside the grocery store in a mask 6ft apart wearing a $20k plus watch makes no sense what so ever.

This is just my opinion lol I realize some guys love their watch so much they even sleep with it. To each their own.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 03:29 AM   #123
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

Dont get me wrong but that daytona needs to be on your wrist not on the closet.

You dont need a apple watch to track your walks, every smart phone has a build in tracker.

İ dont see rolex as a jewelery but its tool that tells time and in your case calculate speed.

But i do understand you, in majority of my time at home i do wore my g shock because my i olay with my son and he can be rough sometime :)

Hell man thats a daytona people wait 10 years to get it
Rolex-istanbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 03:34 AM   #124
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaker1 View Post
Trusty Sub on each day, apart from when it is G Shock time; cutting grass etc;
I wear my hulk to cut the grass matches the grass jaja JK ...
GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 03:39 AM   #125
Bronte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
To me it makes no sense for me to wear an expensive piece of almost useless jewelry when I am at home, which is most of the time now. I have so many sources to see the time. Im finding the AW5 the most useful thing ever during this lock down. Its great so I don't miss any package deliveries incase i go into another room without my phone. It helps me keep track of my activity etc since our habits are changing. Im a pretty active and in shape person but the AW helps even more esp since i share activity with many friends.

I love my Daytona and have no intentions of parting with it but it is the most useless thing I own right now. Even when I go out its for a long walk and I want the AW to track that. Also standing outside the grocery store in a mask 6ft apart wearing a $20k plus watch makes no sense what so ever.

This is just my opinion lol I realize some guys love their watch so much they even sleep with it. To each their own.
How is the Daytona more useful absent a quarantine? In terms of functionality, luxury mechanical watches were superseded long ago by more useful things like quartz watches, then iPhones, and now Apples Watches, and the like. So it remains as useless as it ever was in that regard.

I suppose the implication is that luxury watches are only “useful” outside a pandemic as a social matter: as a clothing accessory—as a signifier of taste or affluence (i.e., as jewelry). Many watch enthusiasts don’t always like to admit this application, but this thread and the others like it tend to put a finer point on it.

That said, I and apparently others also find them “useful” for personal entertainment/enjoyment. I like to wear and enjoy on my own, so I continue to do so even in quarantine.
Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 03:51 AM   #126
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
I continue to wear my trusty mechanical Rolexes even under the current lockdown conditions, I find them useful for telling the time...

Maybe I am just a sad git but my daily life doesn't depend on pieces of electronics such as Apple Watches or I Phones which some would find surprising as I have two degrees in electronics. But to those who love such gadgets I say why not, use whatever you want to make your life easier.

As Spock would say "Live long and prosper" (especially under the current conditions).
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 04:45 AM   #127
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
First of all, watch on wrist at all times. Yes, shower and bed time. Do I wear it at home? I do not understand the behavior behind this question. Not a question of loving my watch so much I just want to know what time it is at any hour of the day. rofl:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch50_IMG_5345_s.jpg (133.7 KB, 156 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 05:03 AM   #128
maveric
"TRF" Member

The only thing that is clear is that the OP is much more empathetic than those who would rather show off their wealth with photos of their pricey watches in pricier cars.
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 05:45 AM   #129
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Its still jewelry and not a tool watch at all anymore. Yes its somewhat social. People that disagree are in deniel. If these things were the same quality but only $2-300 there would not be much interest. It's nice to dress up from time to time put on our nice watches and go out and socialize but those days are over for awhile at least. Even before watch snatching has gotten so bad you can't just slap it on and travel the world with out worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte View Post
How is the Daytona more useful absent a quarantine? In terms of functionality, luxury mechanical watches were superseded long ago by more useful things like quartz watches, then iPhones, and now Apples Watches, and the like. So it remains as useless as it ever was in that regard.

I suppose the implication is that luxury watches are only “useful” outside a pandemic as a social matter: as a clothing accessory—as a signifier of taste or affluence (i.e., as jewelry). Many watch enthusiasts don’t always like to admit this application, but this thread and the others like it tend to put a finer point on it.

That said, I and apparently others also find them “useful” for personal entertainment/enjoyment. I like to wear and enjoy on my own, so I continue to do so even in quarantine.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 05:52 AM   #130
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
To me the joy of watch ownership is to wear, use, admire and enjoy the timepiece. Being at home or out and about does not enter into my decision to wear my watch which I do and enjoy daily.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 06:01 AM   #131
stevek84
"TRF" Member

Not worn my sub, or any watches for that in about 2 months. Strangely getting used to not wearing one which is getting a little worrying!!
stevek84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 07:19 AM   #132
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I have to go to the hospital ~once a month for treatments. With this current pandemic issue, I no longer wear a watch / ring etc. just out of concern for the safety of the staff. Watches / rings can harbor bacteria and viruses and not wearing them is just one less disinfectant issue and exposure potential -- for both them and me.

Hospital settings are critical where you have immune-compromised others as a rule.

SS apparently can "hold" viruses for a few days or such if I remember the story?

However, I do wear a watch at home -- because -- well -- I am a WIS.

What is really worrisome though is what our shoes may be tracking about . . . . . . .

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 07:22 AM   #133
psv
"TRF" Member

I largely stopped wearing any of my watches as well
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 10:22 AM   #134
Milehighmiracle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric View Post
The only thing that is clear is that the OP is much more empathetic than those who would rather show off their wealth with photos of their pricey watches in pricier cars.
Huh? If anything it shows that OP prefers to give himself a pat on the back for his impressive empathy, and prefers wearing his watch only when he has a chance to show off.

Me, I wear the watch for myself, so I’ve enjoyed wearing it during quarantine!
Milehighmiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 11:56 AM   #135
RomanH
Banned

I love wearing a watch on my wrist, so I still do it everyday even if it’s only for a trip to a supermarket )
RomanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 12:02 PM   #136
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

I wear a watch daily - just don't feel fully dressed without one be it a Rolex or other brand.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 12:03 PM   #137
Tape
Banned

Yeah it's you
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 12:07 PM   #138
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
No my Patek and AP have been on the winder since this happened. Too much disinfection going on at our office so it’s Apple Watch for now. Don’t know what the chemicals will do to the finish of the mice watches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 12:57 PM   #139
Sglass
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The throne
I’ve been wearing my 16570 everyday. Despite working from home I need some sense of normalcy. Haven’t touched my Daytona or Pateks though.

IG: CrosbyStreetVintage
Sglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 01:26 PM   #140
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Bought the new Tag Connected the day before the shelter in place. I wore it for a couple of weeks. Then, I miss my Sub and Batman. I rotate those 3 during the week to keep my sanity.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 02:17 PM   #141
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
I have to go to the hospital ~once a month for treatments. With this current pandemic issue, I no longer wear a watch / ring etc. just out of concern for the safety of the staff. Watches / rings can harbor bacteria and viruses and not wearing them is just one less disinfectant issue and exposure potential -- for both them and me.

Hospital settings are critical where you have immune-compromised others as a rule.

SS apparently can "hold" viruses for a few days or such if I remember the story?

However, I do wear a watch at home -- because -- well -- I am a WIS.

What is really worrisome though is what our shoes may be tracking about . . . . . . .
Shoes needs to stay outside of house in a box.
We do it like this in turkey.
Also we have now alien problem too :)
Rolex-istanbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 06:08 PM   #142
privv
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
still rotate mine
privv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 06:10 PM   #143
brnalkn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex-istanbul View Post
Shoes needs to stay outside of house in a box.

We do it like this in turkey.

Also we have now alien problem too :)

brnalkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 08:17 PM   #144
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric View Post
Correct there is much flex on this site!

There are far more important things for many of us to concern ourselves with.
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 08:23 PM   #145
Brew
"TRF" Member

I still need to be on time, even from home.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 12:29 AM   #146
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Rotates between these two depending on what I'm up to.

Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 01:33 AM   #147
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I’ve gotten into American Micro brands a little but so my Rolex are getting a break. I bought at Vaer (California) and a Dufrane (Texas) and they are getting my wrist time. To much time online shopping I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 April 2020, 10:10 AM   #148
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

I bought my watches because I enjoy wearing them. At work, to the store or around the house. With corona, without corona. I love nice watches. I'm still wearing my good watches, a different one each day to change it up.
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 10:30 AM   #149
healer
"TRF" Member

I bought a sub a few months ago. Brought it home and put it in a safe and that was the last time I saw it. True story;) I bought 3 nice watches since I became a member here and non of those watch is being worn. I’m back to wearing my Apple Watch or my Casio g-shock. Lol... my omega is somewhere in the house if I can find it. So your not the only one;)
healer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 09:40 AM   #150
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
[QUOTE=1Sassy1;10572028]Just wearing my watches makes me feel better! If you have them you should enjoy them!/QUOTE]

This
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lockdown , survey