The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 17 October 2022, 05:21 AM   #121
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Ahhh thank you! As English is not my first language I found this extremely helpful, many thanks again.
Old 17 October 2022, 09:24 AM   #122
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
This thread is painful.

The points have been made. Ad nauseam.

Nothing positive here. Time to move on.

Just my opinion. But I think we are better than this.
wire fraud is a federal felony punishable by years in prison. A thread criticizing him — without even using his full name — is more than fair and should be able to continue for however long the mods allow it.
Old 17 October 2022, 09:33 AM   #123
Cazador60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5513
I agree with Star Ferry.
Old 17 October 2022, 09:35 AM   #124
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
wire fraud is a federal felony punishable by years in prison. A thread criticizing him — without even using his full name — is more than fair and should be able to continue for however long the mods allow it.
Fair and reasonable are two different things.

Sure, you can do whatever you want. Justified or not. But all the points have been made. And then some.

Steve, who has by far been wronged the most egregiously, has handled himself like a gentleman. He said his peace. And stated his experience.

The continued pile on is well within your right. But can, and should are also two different things. YMMV.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 17 October 2022, 09:38 AM   #125
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I agree 100%. This thread has been quite civil. And been some great reading! Maybe it should be moved to the WatchOut forum.
Old 17 October 2022, 09:45 AM   #126
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I agree 100%. This thread has been quite civil. And been some great reading! Maybe it should be moved to the WatchOut forum.
Not surprised by that.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 17 October 2022, 10:15 AM   #127
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Gerardo G

I only knew G from his posts. Is there any possibility that something tragic happened to him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17 October 2022, 11:02 AM   #128
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Non Refundable Deposit, as stated above. For clarity, everything kicked off at post #795 of this thread: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=603158
I just read that....wow.....

.nic
Old 17 October 2022, 11:10 AM   #129
ltmgeller

I see a lot of bashing here, but very few people are giving him the benefit of a doubt. I'm hoping for the best, but I feel like something bad must've happened to him. He built an entire business and dedicated his life to this industry and I feel like he wouldn't completely walk away from it just to rip off a few people. The amounts he may have received are not life changing money. All my interactions with him have been above board and he was nothing but a complete gentleman. I pray that he is ok and that there is a reasonable answer to all the questions posed in this thread. I know him and consider him a friend. From what I've seen and what I know about him, I feel something unfortunate may have happened. I hope for his sake, that he is ok, and that everyone who may have been wronged is made whole.
Old 17 October 2022, 12:21 PM   #130
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Sad to hear that things turned out the way that they did. I hope that those who had money taken from them are somehow made whole down the road.
Old 17 October 2022, 09:12 PM   #131
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
The reason we don’t talk about banned members is that they are no longer here to read, comment or defend their position. That’s not to say any of this is false, just that it’s not appropriate.
He’s also being dragged, partially anyway, for not adequately managing the actions of a few negligent members who, for whatever reason, didn’t fulfill their obligations before leaving the dinner and a misunderstanding with a sponsoring vendor.
He made a lot of mistakes, and I wouldn’t have handled things the way he did, but he’s an engineer not a party planner, and I would never take on the task of planning an event of that size with this audience.
Anyway, it’s not appropriate and at a minimum should be moved to the WatchOut forum.

十人十色
Old 17 October 2022, 11:18 PM   #132
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
I see a lot of bashing here, but very few people are giving him the benefit of a doubt. I'm hoping for the best, but I feel like something bad must've happened to him. He built an entire business and dedicated his life to this industry and I feel like he wouldn't completely walk away from it just to rip off a few people. The amounts he may have received are not life changing money. All my interactions with him have been above board and he was nothing but a complete gentleman. I pray that he is ok and that there is a reasonable answer to all the questions posed in this thread. I know him and consider him a friend. From what I've seen and what I know about him, I feel something unfortunate may have happened. I hope for his sake, that he is ok, and that everyone who may have been wronged is made whole.
Maybe you or one of his other friends can give him a call, then, or send him an email, since his social media and website seem to have been taken offline. Also, there's nothing to stop him getting in touch with TRF or starting a temporary account if he wants to reappear.
Old 17 October 2022, 11:42 PM   #133
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
I'm a little surprised this thread is still active, considering the subject of the the topic is banned.
Old 17 October 2022, 11:44 PM   #134
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
This thread is painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I'm a little surprised this thread is still active, considering the subject of the the topic is banned.
I agree with both of you, and I apologize for making light of it.
Old 18 October 2022, 01:00 AM   #135
ltmgeller

Quote:
Maybe you or one of his other friends can give him a call, then, or send him an email, since his social media and website seem to have been taken offline. Also, there's nothing to stop him getting in touch with TRF or starting a temporary account if he wants to reappear.
I have tried, he has not responded This is why I fear the worst.
Old 18 October 2022, 01:32 AM   #136
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I genuinely liked the guy prior to hearing Steves account but Occam's razor...This isn't a Netflix show.
Old 18 October 2022, 02:56 AM   #137
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
I knew you’d say something like this. And it’s a fair take.
Old 18 October 2022, 03:22 AM   #138
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Besides the Las Vegas GTGs I met Gerardo two or three times in Mexico for Lunch or Dinner. On one occasion, I even met his daughter, she was around 17 if I remember correctly and a lovely young woman. On every occasion, Gerardo was friendly, pleasant, welcoming, and I think paid for the meal. I had no reason to question his integrity. I shouldn’t even enter this in to the conversation, but I THINK, his wife was, or had battle cancer. He did not tell me this but his daughter mentioned she wanted to become a Doctor and help people with cancer, she said (something like) “to help people like her mother.” I will not say this is fact since I could be very wrong.

As for the GTGs in Vegas, I have no issue paying what I paid for the events. As a matter of fact, i would have paid more. We had private viewings in an AD, the sales rep from Tudor, I think his name was Brian, give us a private presentation, it was all extremely enjoyable and not only did I not have a problem paying what I did, I would have paid more. I think he put a lot of work in to it. If he was making a profit on this event, I also would not have had an issue, it took a lot of work and I found it all very enjoyable.

The Dinner(s). I was there at both of them and thought they were covered with our NRD. I don’t drink alcohol but several at our table were enjoying wine or drinks, more power to them. Then the bill comes. I found myself paying for a share of alcohol which I didn’t even taste. These bills were not cheap and I can tell you all of us were confused. Now, was this some kind of miscommunication? A misunderstanding about what the NRD would and would not cover? Very possible, and I think we all gave Gerardo the benefit of the doubt.

What about the next year? The same thing happened. Was alcohol not included? Was there a subsidy we were required to pay for the dinner? The check comes after the food, and not only was there a charge for alcohol, but for the food? I was very very surprised, and so was the rest of the group. Something is definitely amiss.

The final issue for me is Steve, he is an honorable man and unless you believe him to be lying, (which I most definitely do NOT), he gave G several THOUSAND dollars for a promised watch. It has been two years (or so) and that money is gone. There is NO excuse for this, and I consider it a theft. If G is having a difficult time in life, I am very sorry. If he needs time alone and to shut down his social media for his physical or mental health I do not judge and wish him the best. HOWEVER, whatever his challenges are, I believe a man HAS to honor his responsibilities. If he was unable to acquire that watch, so be it, give the money back to Steve. Does he need to withdraw from contact for a while to heal or deal with challenges? That is completely understandable, STILL, he should return the money to Steve. He has ample opportunity to contact him through several channels, it would not be difficult.

I am sorry, but giving him the benefit of the doubt about every other issue, this man took money from someone that showed good faith. It has been years, there is no excuse (IMHO) not to honor your responsibility. This is a complete reveal of the man’s character.
Old 18 October 2022, 03:32 AM   #139
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Besides the Las Vegas GTGs I met Gerardo two or three times in Mexico for Lunch or Dinner. On one occasion, I even met his daughter, she was around 17 if I remember correctly and a lovely young woman. On every occasion, Gerardo was friendly, pleasant, welcoming, and I think paid for the meal. I had no reason to question his integrity. I shouldn’t even enter this in to the conversation, but I THINK, his wife was, or had battle cancer. He did not tell me this but his daughter mentioned she wanted to become a Doctor and help people with cancer, she said (something like) “to help people like her mother.” I will not say this is fact since I could be very wrong.

As for the GTGs in Vegas, I have no issue paying what I paid for the events. As a matter of fact, i would have paid more. We had private viewings in an AD, the sales rep from Tudor, I think his name was Brian, give us a private presentation, it was all extremely enjoyable and not only did I not have a problem paying what I did, I would have paid more. I think he put a lot of work in to it. If he was making a profit on this event, I also would not have had an issue, it took a lot of work and I found it all very enjoyable.

The Dinner(s). I was there at both of them and thought they were covered with our NRD. I don’t drink alcohol but several at our table were enjoying wine or drinks, more power to them. Then the bill comes. I found myself paying for a share of alcohol which I didn’t even taste. These bills were not cheap and I can tell you all of us were confused. Now, was this some kind of miscommunication? A misunderstanding about what the NRD would and would not cover? Very possible, and I think we all gave Gerardo the benefit of the doubt.

What about the next year? The same thing happened. Was alcohol not included? Was there a subsidy we were required to pay for the dinner? The check comes after the food, and not only was there a charge for alcohol, but for the food? I was very very surprised, and so was the rest of the group. Something is definitely amiss.

The final issue for me is Steve, he is an honorable man and unless you believe him to be lying, (which I most definitely do NOT), he gave G several THOUSAND dollars for a promised watch. It has been two years (or so) and that money is gone. There is NO excuse for this, and I consider it a theft. If G is having a difficult time in life, I am very sorry. If he needs time alone and to shut down his social media for his physical or mental health I do not judge and wish him the best. HOWEVER, whatever his challenges are, I believe a man HAS to honor his responsibilities. If he was unable to acquire that watch, so be it, give the money back to Steve. Does he need to withdraw from contact for a while to heal or deal with challenges? That is completely understandable, STILL, he should return the money to Steve. He has ample opportunity to contact him through several channels, it would not be difficult.

I am sorry, but giving him the benefit of the doubt about every other issue, this man took money from someone that showed good faith. It has been years, there is no excuse (IMHO) not to honor your responsibility. This is a complete reveal of the man’s character.

My buddies Andy and Red are a retired accountant, and a street smarts guy who now restore old boats and run a bar in Zihuatanejo. I’ll give you their address if you go Mexico way again.
Old 18 October 2022, 03:38 AM   #140
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
My buddies Andy and Red are a retired accountant, and a street smarts guy who now restore old boats and run a bar in Zihuatanejo. I’ll give you their address if you go Mexico way again.
The truth is FINALLY revealed.

Chewie’s yacht is actually a run down tug boat and he tends bar in Mexico
Old 18 October 2022, 03:41 AM   #141
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The truth is FINALLY revealed.

Chewie’s yacht is actually a run down tug boat and he tends bar in Mexico
Reported!!!!!
Old 18 October 2022, 03:53 AM   #142
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Reported!!!!!
Ahhhh….. A CJ “Reported!!!” Now I can start my day the right way
Old 18 October 2022, 04:07 AM   #143
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

Agreed, unless of course he is dead and his children/wife shut his accounts down? Steve is definitely in a bad spot here, and absolutely deserves his money back. If he (G) is no longer living, it's possible his family had zero idea of the mans business dealings, and knows nothing of the money owed. Was he (Steve) looking for a specific watch, and the 10K was a down payment, or was the 10K paid for a watch and it was supposed to ship? If it's the first case scenario and he's (G) gone, I can see that. But if it's the second case scenario and he took the money and ran, then he's a scumbag. A lot of questions here, and unfortunately with a banned member we may never get the answer. Has any of his friends tried reaching out to his daughter/ other family members?
Old 18 October 2022, 04:18 AM   #144
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Agreed, unless of course he is dead and his children/wife shut his accounts down? Steve is definitely in a bad spot here, and absolutely deserves his money back. If he (G) is no longer living, it's possible his family had zero idea of the mans business dealings, and knows nothing of the money owed. Was he (Steve) looking for a specific watch, and the 10K was a down payment, or was the 10K paid for a watch and it was supposed to ship? If it's the first case scenario and he's (G) gone, I can see that. But if it's the second case scenario and he took the money and ran, then he's a scumbag. A lot of questions here, and unfortunately with a banned member we may never get the answer. Has any of his friends tried reaching out to his daughter/ other family members?
Yes, completely agree. If he has passed, his accounts are shut down and his family has no idea about his business or promised deals, Steve may be out his money and not much can be done. I don’t know, so won’t speculate if the man is living, but I have my gut feeling. As for the exact deal, I believe he accepted the money because he told Steve he could get a GMT from an AD in Mexico. Then the pandemic hit, and there were delays, blah blah blah, then he disappeared, but I will let Steve state the specifics if he chooses.
Old 18 October 2022, 04:54 AM   #145
Chewbacca
Banned

My spin on paella con pulpo! I used squid ink to add color and give it a Hallowe’en vibe, and added some shrimp and crab too.

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C6587842-BDD2-498C-AD10-347B9AB4BB71.jpeg (175.7 KB, 220 views)
Old 18 October 2022, 07:26 AM   #146
EagleBear
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
My spin on paella con pulpo! I used squid ink to add color and give it a Hallowe’en vibe, and added some shrimp and crab too.

What do you think?

Wow I can never tell if you’re serious lol. I’m one that will try anything once but I’ve got to admit this looks a bit scary to me. I could say I’d do it but It being in front of me could make me chicken out hehe
Old 18 October 2022, 07:34 AM   #147
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBear View Post
Wow I can never tell if you’re serious lol. I’m one that will try anything once but I’ve got to admit this looks a bit scary to me. I could say I’d do it but It being in front of me could make me chicken out hehe
I rarely kid about mine and my hired chef’s work.
Old 18 October 2022, 07:39 AM   #148
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Yes, completely agree. If he has passed, his accounts are shut down and his family has no idea about his business or promised deals, Steve may be out his money and not much can be done. I don’t know, so won’t speculate if the man is living, but I have my gut feeling. As for the exact deal, I believe he accepted the money because he told Steve he could get a GMT from an AD in Mexico. Then the pandemic hit, and there were delays, blah blah blah, then he disappeared, but I will let Steve state the specifics if he chooses.
I'm an impartial observer. But the odds of a man having this much controversy swirling around him money-wise for several years, and then taking a $10k deposit and dying a quick death where his family didn't know of any of his dealings, is either a very, very, very unfortunate coincidence......or something much, much more likely in the real world.
Old 18 October 2022, 08:37 AM   #149
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I'm an impartial observer. But the odds of a man having this much controversy swirling around him money-wise for several years, and then taking a $10k deposit and dying a quick death where his family didn't know of any of his dealings, is either a very, very, very unfortunate coincidence......or something much, much more likely in the real world.
My sentiments exactly
Old 18 October 2022, 09:52 AM   #150
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Quote:
This thread is painful.

My sentiment exactly. One time, I made a pledge on his behalf and he won a flashlight. He pm'd me asking for my address so he could mail it to me. I told him to keep it and give it to one of his kids instead. Never been to one of his get togethers before so I can't really comment on that.
Closed Thread