The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2014, 08:12 AM   #121
"TRF" Member

Hard to tell from the photos but the red appears dull looking and thus the blue /red contrast does not look as good as it did on the last Pepsi models they made (16710).
9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 08:14 AM   #122
LFFL
"TRF" Member

wowzers!
LFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 09:53 AM   #123
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Here's my take. The PepC was issued in WG because Rolex has too much invested in the LN and BLNR in terms of money. A SS BLRO likely would have resulted in huge sales declines in the existing SS GMT lineup. This way, Rolex preserves its current investment in the SS GMT models while making the PepC available, albeit to a very select few.
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 09:57 AM   #124
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by novan3 View Post
That's a bargain next to the 116759BK SARU of which the only discernible difference appear to be just the GMT hand and bezel; precious stone vs Cerachrom insert, priced over $88K retail.
Excellent point, they're actually hooking us up with this price conscious model.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 10:34 AM   #125
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The original GMT was Stainless Steel and in blue/red trim; that color insert has been available for the entire 50+ year history of the SS GMT until the introduction of the Ceramic SS model in 2007.

There has never been a White Gold GMT, so to now limit the historic, original, colors of the GMT to WG only is considered a slap in the face to GMT lovers world-wide.

This positioning may very well mean that there will never be a SS red/blue version because WG trim is usually not duplicated in SS versions. It's possible, but not likely any time soon.
Yes, this is why I would have hoped Rolex would've make the BLNR in WG and leave the Pepsi in SS as it has always been except for the jewelled model. If they could not or did not want to make the BLNR then I would understand the Pepsi in WG, but the BLNR looks great and would do very well in WG.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 10:49 AM   #126
submariner66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
The original GMT was Stainless Steel and in blue/red trim; that color insert has been available for the entire 50+ year history of the SS GMT until the introduction of the Ceramic SS model in 2007.

There has never been a White Gold GMT, so to now limit the historic, original, colors of the GMT to WG only is considered a slap in the face to GMT lovers world-wide.

This positioning may very well mean that there will never be a SS red/blue version because WG trim is usually not duplicated in SS versions. It's possible, but not likely any time soon.
Thats "OK", cause I think the black and blue do the job even better than the blue and red. Plus do you really want to "have to" brush out the PCL's on white gold?? Now if they just did the black bezel and got rid of that darn green and replaced it with a red minute hand wouldn't we all just be delighted?
submariner66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 12:28 PM   #127
rph08
"TRF" Member

There is no doubt about it. The new Pepsi is a great looking watch. I think if I were going to buy a Rolex sports watch in precious metal it would be the GMT, and I do prefer white gold to yellow. However, I think I'll hold out for the Coke version. I would probably still buy the Coke if Rolex whittled it out of pine bark...
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 01:23 PM   #128
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Is it really all that we want ? Time will find a place for this !!

Attachment 478316

Attachment 478317

MODEL CASE
Oyster (monobloc middle case, screw-down case back and winding crown), 40 mm
DIAMETER
40 mm
MATERIAL
18 ct white gold, satin and polished finish
CASE BACK
Screw-down with Rolex fluting
BEZEL
Bidirectional rotatable 24-hour graduated, with two-colour Cerachrom insert in red and blue ceramic, engraved numerals and graduations coated with platinum via magnetron sputtering (PVD)
WINDING CROWN
Screw-down, Triplock triple waterproofness system
CROWN GUARD
Integral part of the middle case
MOVEMENT
3186, Manufacture Rolex Mechanical movement with bidirectional self-winding via Perpetual rotor
CALIBRE
3186, Manufacture Rolex Mechanical movement with bidirectional self-winding via Perpetual rotor
PRECISION
Officially certified Swiss chronometer (COSC)
FUNCTIONS
Centre hour, minute and seconds hands; 24-hour display via an additional hand; Second time zone via independent rapid setting of the hour hand;
Instantaneous date at 3 o’clock
Stop-seconds for precise time setting
OSCILLATOR
Frequency: 28,800 beats/hour (4Hz)
Paramagnetic blue Parachrom hairspring
Breguet overcoil
Large balance wheel with variable inertia
High-precision regulating via four gold Microstella nuts
Traversing balance bridge
JEWELLING
31 rubies
POWER RESERVE
Approximately 48 hours
DIAL
Black lacquer
COLOUR
Black lacquer
HOUR MARKERS
Highly legible Chromalight appliques (long-lasting luminescence) in 18 ct white gold
HANDS
Chromalight hands in 18 ct white gold, red 24-hour hand
BRACELET
Oyster, three-piece solid links
MATERIAL
18 ct white gold, polished centre links, satin-finished outer links with polished edges
CLASP
Oysterlock folding safety clasp
Easylink 5 mm comfort extension link

It is perfect!!!! my order is in
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 02:51 PM   #129
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel33 View Post
Same here, sporty but more discreet too, much classier imho.
Agreed.
elcompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 03:51 PM   #130
John Doe
"TRF" Member

It's insane to go WG. The other posters are probably right, they'd never go SS after this. I assume the chap who thought this was a good idea was the same person who thought signing Tiger Woods made tons of sense.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 04:38 PM   #131
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Said much better than I ever could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
At the end of the day this is an expensive watch. I think people will find reasons to not like it much the way they did when the WG Sub came out. The bottom line is it is a great looking watch and the only thing to find fault in is the price. I am sure in person it will look amazing and have the hefty feel of the WG Sub. The bezel is string to me and much like the original bakelite shades on the 6542 as QC said. I am looking forward to seeing it in person. As for whether or not I end up with one that will depend on stomaching the price and balancing out the worth in my mind. No different than any other expensive watch. Let's face it if it were in SS there wouldn't be a bad word said about it and that is a fact. I also think the BLNR is an amazing watch and AD's can't get enough of them. There is clearly good reason for that. Overall Rolex has provided two exceptional dual color bezels for two different metals! I am guessing as I have read that the reason behind lack of supply vs. other watches is the bezel isn't the easiest to make in dual colors. Even the SS you don't see many around at AD's or in sales section here.

Ken, I respectfully submit that you are missing the point. It is not simply the high price that upsets people. It's the message behind transforming an icon important to so many GMT owners into a very expensive piece that is no longer attainable luxury with ties to tool watch roots.

The white gold Submariner and Platona are expensive, but, they were never anything but what they are. There never was a mythic SS blue dial/blue bezel Submariner before the Smurf. They clearly are luxury editions of the icons, but not the icons themselves. Here we have the heritage taken away from the vast majority that created the very history that Rolex is now turning its back on.

Pilots and Magnum PI never would have worn this watch. ;-)

But, yes, it's a gorgeous watch. And the bezel is very impressive.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 04:51 PM   #132
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

It is not simply the high price that upsets people. It's the message behind transforming an icon important to so many GMT owners into a very expensive piece that is no longer attainable luxury with ties to tool watch roots.

The white gold Submariner and Platona are expensive, but, they were never anything but what they are. There never was a mythic SS blue dial/blue bezel Submariner before the Smurf. They clearly are luxury editions of the icons, but not the icons themselves. Here we have the heritage taken away from the vast majority that created the very history that Rolex is now turning its back on.

Most excellent. You nailed it.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 04:53 PM   #133
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
If the watch had been released in red and green, I'd still buy it. I've been bemoaning the lack of a WG GMTIIc (non-SARU) since the 116718 was first released. I'm ordering one because I LOVE GOLD and GMTs. The Pepsi insert is nothing more than a HUGE BONUS. This will replace my steel 116710 as a discreet travel watch. I've done a lot of traveling with gold watches and they work just as well as SS models - in fact my favorite travel watch at the moment is my 116718.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 04:57 PM   #134
Lol-x
Facilitator

What if you like the Pepsi but you do not care for WG......

Rolex has seen fit to release a heritage watch but has disrespected the tradition of the Pepsi GMT.

And I don't get given this departure in from the historical roots why Rolex decided to limit its 18K model to just WG, totally ignoring those who may well appreciate it in YG.

We can now conclude Rolex Marketing is very shallow in respect to its heritage, it being dominated by the allure of prestige and the almighty dollar.

Tudor on the other hand, is much more true to its historical roots when it comes to new models of previous vintage icons.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 05:49 PM   #135
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to tell
As a modest collector of GMTs and being somewhat knowledgeable in ceramics, I did not understand why Rolex were issuing bezels in other colors and color combinations and not Pepsi, except for some marketing plot. Now we know why.

Build up the expectations making allegations about impossible (??) to make color combinations, and once you have starved the community for a few years, you release the Grial and you milk the profits.

It's true that a nice red is more difficult to obtain in ceramics than blue or black, but it's not rocket science either, especially when cost is not the priority. Ceramics is after all a humble material. Hi tech ceramics, and the Rolex bezel is one, are more difficult to make than a one dollar red coffee mug, but it's not sorcery either.

This said, I feel HUGELY let down by this marketing move and I feel that Rolex is greedily depriving the aficionado, at large, of one of the Brand icons.

This said, I guess I could afford one, but i read greed all over this one.
drainaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 07:38 PM   #136
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Said much better than I ever could.

Ken, I respectfully submit that you are missing the point. It is not simply the high price that upsets people. It's the message behind transforming an icon important to so many GMT owners into a very expensive piece that is no longer attainable luxury with ties to tool watch roots.

Actually Cru the Platona marked the 50th Anniversary of the Daytona and is not "never anything but what they are" as you referred. It is a significant celebration of it's 50 years marked by a significant piece in a significant metal w significant color combo to set it apart. I am not missing the point at all. As I stated in my opinion people will find reasons not to like it and to me that will be mostly tied to it's price. I understand people's frustration with the fact that Rolex chose to make the new Pepsi in WG. They clearly did that as they did with the Daytona to make it a special piece. That was their choice and I don't think it was a bad one. Again I think the release of the BLNR addressed their dual color bezel to the SS line. At the end of the day though it is what it is and that isn't going to change. Rolex will sell a million watches and have their followers. They clearly are moving their line upstream and going after different parts of the market. They still leave us all with lots of options and great choice in multiple price brackets. I also don't understand the whole "Tool" watch comments myself as 99% of people don't use watches for their original design. I am going to guess that most people buying GMT's aren't pilots. Just as most people buying Subs and SD's aren't divers. With that have a great day my friend!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 08:00 PM   #137
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Actually Cru the Platona marked the 50th Anniversary of the Daytona and is not "never anything but what they are" as you referred. It is a significant celebration of it's 50 years marked by a significant piece in a significant metal w significant color combo to set it apart. I am not missing the point at all. As I stated in my opinion people will find reasons not to like it and to me that will be mostly tied to it's price. I understand people's frustration with the fact that Rolex chose to make the new Pepsi in WG. They clearly did that as they did with the Daytona to make it a special piece. That was their choice and I don't think it was a bad one. Again I think the release of the BLNR addressed their dual color bezel to the SS line. At the end of the day though it is what it is and that isn't going to change. Rolex will sell a million watches and have their followers. They clearly are moving their line upstream and going after different parts of the market. They still leave us all with lots of options and great choice in multiple price brackets. I also don't understand the whole "Tool" watch comments myself as 99% of people don't use watches for their original design. I am going to guess that most people buying GMT's aren't pilots. Just as most people buying Subs and SD's aren't divers. With that have a great day my friend!

Cru you and Ken both have clearly articulated your points both good posts

While I feel the frustration of the lack of a SS model I for one appreciate the fact and reason for it being produced in WG and glad they did
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 08:19 PM   #138
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

, gentlemen.

i think we can all agree that the following pictures are .

r-l-x.de

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 08:21 PM   #139
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
, gentlemen.

r-l-x.de

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 09:05 PM   #140
ironmanmarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 SubC
Quote:
, gentlemen.

r-l-x.de

I say this with a staunch record of heterosexuality.....it's FABULOUS.
ironmanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 09:50 PM   #141
Chief F1 Fan
"TRF" Member

I can think of at least 6 watches, possibly more, I'd much rather have for $43K
Chief F1 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 10:02 PM   #142
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
I am saving up for this watch. Sad thing is i will come to think of this as jewelry rather than a panam pilot watch. Who cares im still saving up for it
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 10:06 PM   #143
mikkemus23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/PAM
That looks great!

I think it was to be expected that Rolex made the Pepsi in an expensive metal. They are notorious for making adjustments and not simply repeating themselves.
It`s a great watch, I think we all agree on that, just by looking at the pictures.
And the days were Rolex sportswatches were necessary"tool" are long gone. So that, for me, only leaves me the price to be a little unhappy about, as it`s not likely in short term that I will fork out 40K on this watch.

Rolex is here to make money, not to please the WIS world, unfortunately. If we just accept this we will not so easily be disappointed with new releases

And the BLNR is still a great watch, and maybe even a new icon? Who knows, albeit I know that`s a strech
mikkemus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 10:28 PM   #144
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha want...
I'm holding out for the Platinum Coke...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28 March 2014, 10:36 PM   #145
kymwatchlog
Banned

out of my league too
kymwatchlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 10:43 PM   #146
Zpeedbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
I would have preferred a SS version but judging from the pictures I think I have to get one anyway. It's truly a beauty!

Sea-Dweller, Explorer II, IWC Flieger Chronograph, AP Royal Oak
Zpeedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 10:53 PM   #147
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
So glad I prefer vintage. Rolex is headed in the wrong direction.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 11:18 PM   #148
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
Marvelous to read all these opinions about the new WG Pepsi GMT!
I loved the arguments of Ken and Cru. It's only on TRF that one can let himself go in this kind of debate!
And yes I also over the new Pepsi
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 11:44 PM   #149
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
What if you like the Pepsi but you do not care for WG......

Rolex has seen fit to release a heritage watch but has disrespected the tradition of the Pepsi GMT.

And I don't get given this departure in from the historical roots why Rolex decided to limit its 18K model to just WG, totally ignoring those who may well appreciate it in YG.

We can now conclude Rolex Marketing is very shallow in respect to its heritage, it being dominated by the allure of prestige and the almighty dollar.

Tudor on the other hand, is much more true to its historical roots when it comes to new models of previous vintage icons.

Absolutely correct. Rolex does not seem to care about heritage anymore. I think there more interested in chasing fat wallets.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2014, 12:24 AM   #150
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
After sleeping on it and mulling it over, I decided to not purchase a new BLRO for all the reasons previously cited. I'm sticking with my favorite vintages for the red/blue insert. Just cannot swallow the price and Rolexes disregard to tool watch heritage. Seems now like a d@mn slap in the face now that the initial hype (my own) is over.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote