The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 December 2021, 11:44 PM   #121
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Purchased on trip
Probably waited two years to get it. Sigh. Good luck.
Old 24 December 2021, 11:47 PM   #122
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Awful. Sorry OP
Old 25 December 2021, 12:13 AM   #123
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
That helps with the random thief who gets in the room (that is, without their crowbar). But…

Corrupt staff members usually know the override code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I would assume that the safe keeps an electronic "record" of use of the override code? At least then you would have proof of its use, the fact that it was a hotel employee and the hotel's (likely) liability.

In situations like this there's retribution and restitution. Without a confession or video footage, the former may be difficult to get, but with enough evidence the latter can likely be achieved.
Old 25 December 2021, 12:17 AM   #124
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
damn very sorry to hear it.. people are just horrible man I tell you
Old 25 December 2021, 12:20 AM   #125
77T

My Rolex was stolen from my hotel room today

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I would assume that the safe keeps an electronic "record" of use of the override code? At least then you would have proof of its use, the fact that it was a hotel employee and the hotel's (likely) liability.

In situations like this there's retribution and restitution. Without a confession or video footage, the former may be difficult to get, but with enough evidence the latter can likely be achieved.

No - these room safes (by and large) are standalone, battery operated lock boxes to avoid tempting honest people.

It’s an amenity and the T&C’s one accepts by default (that is, by turning the lock) releases the hotelier from any and all liability.

I’d let the authorities handle the culpability angles. This perp is not going to buckle to Hilton management (if she is the true culprit).

If you do accept money from Hilton, they own a percent interest in the watch. If your HO insurance actually pays anything, they too own a percentage. I was self-insured meaning I shouldered the losses 100%. So recovery was a simple matter.

Your call - but I think this watch may make its way to an RSC via an unsuspecting buyer who is at least 2-3 degrees separated from the fence who may have had it within an hour.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 25 December 2021, 12:28 AM   #126
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
No - these room safes (by and large) are standalone, battery operated lock boxes to avoid tempting honest people.

It’s an amenity and the T&C’s one accepts by default (that is, by turning the lock) releases the hotelier from any and all liability.

I’d let the authorities handle the culpability angles. This perp is not going to buckle to Hilton management (if she is the true culprit).

If you do accept money from Hilton, they own a percent interest in the watch. If your HO insurance actually pays anything, they too own a percentage. I was self-insured meaning I shouldered the losses 100%. So recovery was a simple matter.

Your call - but I think this watch may make its way to an RSC via an unsuspecting buyer who is at least 2-3 degrees separated from the fence who may have had it within an hour.

I meant perhaps the circuitboard in the safe itself would keep a record of the code used to open it. In my opinion, those T&C may legally protect the hotel, but if it could be proved that its own override code was the last used, then it'll pay to replace the watch (with a likely NDA involved). No hotel wants that kind of publicity. It's proof that its employees steal...

And you're absolutely right about culpability. In fact that was kind of my point: Proving what individual stole it, to the standard required for criminal conviction, would be difficult. So the focus should be on being made whole.

Personally, I'd prefer to just have the watch replaced right away, especially if a brand new, relatively obtainable, non-sentimental piece (IIRC, yours met none of those criteria...).
Old 25 December 2021, 12:37 AM   #127
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I meant perhaps the circuitboard in the safe itself would keep a record of the code used to open it. In my opinion, those T&C may legally protect the hotel, but if it could be proved that its own override code was the last used, then it'll pay to replace the watch (with a likely NDA involved). No hotel wants that kind of publicity. It's proof that its employees steal...

And you're absolutely right about culpability. In fact that was kind of my point: Proving what individual stole it, to the standard required for criminal conviction, would be difficult. So the focus should be on being made whole.

Personally, I'd prefer to just have the watch replaced right away, especially if a brand new, relatively obtainable, non-sentimental piece (IIRC, yours met none of those criteria...).

Since it’s battery operated, any log of openings using different codes could be in a ROM chip. Only police with a search warrant can take one of those modules.

But back to your case…yes there are differences in our situations. Believe it or not, one of my AD’s offered me a replacement Platona out of his safe for $60K the weekend after the burglary. They were easy to source in 2017.

Based on your wishes (and your experience may vary with the various responsible parties) If HO insurance will give you 100% value, then let them pay it off and replace it. Let the ins.co. subrogate against Hilton franchisee to lessen their payout exposure.

At that point you don’t need to complicate matters trying to chase a thief.

Just my 2¢ and truly sorry for this loss - I know the feeling all too well.

Old 25 December 2021, 01:38 AM   #128
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
Quote:
Since it’s battery operated, any log of openings using different codes could be in a ROM chip. Only police with a search warrant can take one of those modules.
Actually, for the record, a "ROM" chip (meaning Read-Only Memory) contains only code/data that cannot be modified. Data that is readable/writable must be stored on a "RAM" chip (meaning Random-Access Memory) instead. I'm guessing you will appreciate my linguistic precision given how much we treasure horological precision.
Old 25 December 2021, 01:58 AM   #129
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had put it in a shoe box when i came up so nobody saw.
Good thinking. But wondering if they follow you from the AD?

Sorry about this ordeal.
Old 25 December 2021, 02:11 AM   #130
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
Same. And if I absolutely had to, I'd hide it really well. Sorry to hear that, Danny. I hope you're somehow made whole on this.
x2.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Old 25 December 2021, 02:12 AM   #131
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
This sucks, specially so close to Christmas. Hope everything works your way.
Old 25 December 2021, 02:28 AM   #132
wcl884
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But back to your case…yes there are differences in our situations. Believe it or not, one of my AD’s offered me a replacement Platona out of his safe for $60K the weekend after the burglary. They were easy to source in 2017.

Based on your wishes (and your experience may vary with the various responsible parties) If HO insurance will give you 100% value, then let them pay it off and replace it. Let the ins.co. subrogate against Hilton franchisee to lessen their payout exposure.

At that point you don’t need to complicate matters trying to chase a thief.

Just my 2¢ and truly sorry for this loss - I know the feeling all too well.

Sorry to be late to this game. I'm in the safe business. The electronic safes all have logs and could be downloaded (past 200 to 400 entries).

You can at least prove that the safe was accessed while you were out. The only way for this to happen is someone with override code or your personal code.

If you PM me the property address or the safe brand, I can see the best way to access it.
Old 25 December 2021, 02:44 AM   #133
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
Actually, for the record, a "ROM" chip (meaning Read-Only Memory) contains only code/data that cannot be modified. Data that is readable/writable must be stored on a "RAM" chip (meaning Random-Access Memory) instead. I'm guessing you will appreciate my linguistic precision given how much we treasure horological precision.

Randy
Not RAM since a dead battery would erase the logs.

Many kinds of ROM. My guess is EEPROM. BUT I’m not a safe guy.

Old 25 December 2021, 03:04 AM   #134
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Sorry to hear this Danny!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 25 December 2021, 03:19 AM   #135
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
Quote:
Randy
Not RAM since a dead battery would erase the logs.

Many kinds of ROM. My guess is EEPROM. BUT I’m not a safe guy.
Sorry, that's not been true for years — since the advent of "non-volatile RAM" whose contents persist without power. Moreover, an EEPROM is a chip whose contents are writable but not on-the-fly, so your guess, while logical, is incorrect as well. An EEPROM requires something called an "EEPROM programmer" which is external to the ultimate hosting device and is used well in advance of the ultimate application.
Old 25 December 2021, 03:41 AM   #136
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Sorry to hear about all your troubles! Hopefully you get some sort of positive news before long based upon the events.
Old 25 December 2021, 03:45 AM   #137
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
I had put it in a shoe box when i came up so nobody saw.

Sorry to hear Danny, hope insurance helps to replace it. Any cameras on the hallway of the hotel room? That may at least show who entered the room after you left to pickup gas etc

Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 25 December 2021, 03:51 AM   #138
Goin2drt
Banned

Why would you leave a Rolex in a hotel room without someone in it is the better question.
Old 25 December 2021, 04:22 AM   #139
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Update the cleaning girl came to the hotel last night at 10pm for a few mins and drove off. Im pretty sure the watch was hidden an an empty room or in the laundry room I told the police too but they did not do anything.
Old 25 December 2021, 04:24 AM   #140
JodyHighroller
Banned

Have you gotten any updates from your insurance?
Old 25 December 2021, 04:30 AM   #141
Danny83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Have you gotten any updates from your insurance?
Chubb said I should be covered The adjuster called me to report it stolen to Rolex and he also wanted to see my debit card transaction when I purchased the watch
Old 25 December 2021, 04:32 AM   #142
walkman2727
Banned

Watch: 16710 pepsi
oh no sorry for you lost , my CA fellow watch lover. I am traveling in the east coast right now, would not wear my Rolex. Crazy time now
Old 25 December 2021, 04:34 AM   #143
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Why would you leave a Rolex in a hotel room without someone in it is the better question.
This is the question that always comes up at an incident like this. If this question would be better, it is doubtful as it is of no immediate help.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 25 December 2021, 04:35 AM   #144
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
I have been in Dallas Tx for the past week, I was due to go back home today to California and I left the hotel for about 1 hour went to eat and go put gas in my rental car. I had just finished packing my luggage. So when I came back to the room my suitcase was open and My stuff was rummaged through. The watch and box were gone luckily it was just a blue datejust 41. Serial 1EE53773. Im 100% sure that housekeeping stole the watch.I even stayed at the hotel again today to see if it turns up. I notified the hotel and they called the police. Several police and detectives came and interviewed the only 2 housekeepers. They were not even suppose to be in my room with my stuff in there. Not much more info hotel manager asked me for a invoice of the watch. So do I contact my insurance or Hilton? I had not insured this one yet as I just got it a couple days ago. This is a reminder to my TRF friends be more careful please. Merry Christmas and stay safe guys.
That sucks and as someone who has over 106 nights this year with Marriott and more with Hilton I feel your pain.

I NEVER have room service and with covid they rarely do anyway. I can't imagine they don't have cameras and/or know if a electronic house/maid key was used...

In places like Vegas they have those safes in the room but not so much in "normal" hotels sadly. I've become the master at hiding a spare watch if I take in the room...usually why I don't take more than 1 or 2 max.

So sorry man. I'd call Hilton not let up on the police and make them check the hall and common area cameras.

Not saying you did this but are you 1000% sure you closed your door? So many doors just don't slam like they should...I pull and yank on those doors when I close them like I'm trying to break them.

What was "the box" it was in? That definitely makes it harder to "hide"...
Old 25 December 2021, 04:36 AM   #145
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Chubb said I should be covered The adjuster called me to report it stolen to Rolex and he also wanted to see my debit card transaction when I purchased the watch
It sounds great. It is hard to understand when people risk their job for a watch, it have could been a fake.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 25 December 2021, 04:38 AM   #146
Danny83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
That sucks and as someone who has over 106 nights this year with Marriott and more with Hilton I feel your pain.

I NEVER have room service and with covid they rarely do anyway. I can't imagine they don't have cameras and/or know if a electronic house/maid key was used...

In places like Vegas they have those safes in the room but not so much in "normal" hotels sadly. I've become the master at hiding a spare watch if I take in the room...usually why I don't take more than 1 or 2 max.

So sorry man. I'd call Hilton not let up on the police and make them check the hall and common area cameras.

Not saying you did this but are you 1000% sure you closed your door? So many doors just don't slam like they should...I pull and yank on those doors when I close them like I'm trying to break them.
Yes I close my door and they pulled up her key activity and she did enter my locked room to clean it before my checkout time which she was not supposed to do the hotel Did not charge me for my stay for eight days as well
Old 25 December 2021, 04:39 AM   #147
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Glad to hear the claim is progressing smoothly! Hopefully you’ll be made whole in a few days time. Please keep us posted.
Old 25 December 2021, 04:39 AM   #148
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Yes I close my door and they pulled up her key activity and she did enter my locked room to clean it before my checkout time which she was not supposed to do the hotel Did not charge me for my stay for eight days as well
F!!!!!! cleaned your room before your check out time? What tha...so shady.

Detectives need to get her in a small room and interview...I bet she'd crack. Makes me so angry.
Old 25 December 2021, 04:40 AM   #149
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Sorry to hear Danny.
Old 25 December 2021, 05:04 AM   #150
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
This just sucks. Worst feeling in the world. Sorry to hear man. Hope they sweat her hard enough to make it reappear. I shipped a $30k watch to a buyer recently, it was “lost” in Memphis (FedEx next day). The minute the claim hit and I’m sure FedEx lit up whoever was in contact with the package, the watch mysteriously appeared.