The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2023, 07:06 AM   #121
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
I do believe I like it. We shall see.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 08:11 AM   #122
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mo_86 View Post
I cant work out if the dial is the same granular texture as my BB ETA or if its gloss or sunburst, does anyone know?
It has a sunburst finish. I’ve looked at mine under the loupe and it has a lovely fine sunburst grain. The result is matte finish in dark lighting yet it seems to absorb direct light into a sunburst effect. Compare side by side with my 58, it’s noticeably different
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 08:36 AM   #123
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I tried one of these on today. I went in hoping I would love it, but it seemed too small to me. And I love my 36mm Explorer. I even had trouble getting a grip on the crown and the bezel.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 05:18 PM   #124
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

Pictures of the BB54, 7922 Tudor and a 1959 6536

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2023, 03:08 PM   #125
mdwsta4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
This is the first one I’ve given serious consideration. They finally got the proportions right. If only the hands could go away for more period correct ones…

The Kingston is the king of this particular watch aesthetic (I own one and several models using that case). If Tudor continues to creep towards the truly older vintage look (jettisoning the questionable design elements from 10+ years ago - and they seem to be), they’ll certainly get more of my dollars.
Same here. I’ve owned a Kingston for over a decade and still love it. Probably wear it more than my 5 digit Sub or any other watch for that matter. The BB54 is the first in the BB line to truly tempt me with a replacement. Not a fan of the snowflake hand, but perhaps it could grow on me in person
mdwsta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 02:56 AM   #126
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
Same here. I’ve owned a Kingston for over a decade and still love it. Probably wear it more than my 5 digit Sub or any other watch for that matter. The BB54 is the first in the BB line to truly tempt me with a replacement. Not a fan of the snowflake hand, but perhaps it could grow on me in person

Good to see another owner here.

If this trend continues (towards period accurate design cues), we’re likely to see even more of the OG BlackBay design language fade away. It was released more than 10 years ago and time marches on. I’ll likely hold off and see what future releases bring. Who knows… maybe some day Mercedes hands!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 06:05 AM   #127
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If this trend continues (towards period accurate design cues), we’re likely to see even more of the OG BlackBay design language fade away. It was released more than 10 years ago and time marches on. I’ll likely hold off and see what future releases bring. Who knows… maybe some day Mercedes hands!!

I doubt Rolex will give Tudor permission to use the Mercede hand

Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 06:44 AM   #128
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

Maybe not mercedes hands but pencil hands from Tudor One would make this watch instant hit, but they won't put those too to not to devalue that unique watch. They even put red triangle to that, which could be a good addition to 54.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 07:06 AM   #129
king4aday
"TRF" Member

Went to my AD on Saturday and saw the new BB54. It wears perfectly on my 6.25 inch wrist! Too bad it's only for exhibition. Tfit clasp is definitely a big deal. I'm on the waitlist now!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
king4aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 01:48 AM   #130
mdwsta4
"TRF" Member

I agree that Rolex wouldn’t let them use the Mercedes’ hand, but a pencil hand would have looked better in my eyes.

Went to a nearby AD to try one on. I really like the look/feel of it. Wears similar to my MKII Kingston and 14060 Sub. Only nitpick I have is that the crown is TINY! Felt smaller than my 80’s Datejust. Curious if any larger Rolex crowns would be able to be retrofitted onto the watch?

The AD sold the 4 they received at launch so I put my name down on the waitlist. One other person in front of me so I have a few weeks to decide if I want to pull the trigger
mdwsta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 09:16 PM   #131
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Black Bay 54 - now that’s an interesting one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad12 View Post

That’s just silly. Especially since they used it plenty in previous subs.

But okay, let’s run with that and assume we’ll never see a Mercedes hour hand return. How about a distinctly Tudor design that is 1000% better than snowflake hands without the snowflake dial? (Only the Pelagos has the matching dial+hands)

Old 7 April 2023, 11:07 PM   #132
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I’m frankly struck by the pushback to the snowflake hand. I’ve never owned one, and I’ve owned several Rolex watches with Mercedes hands…but I always thought the snowflake was the coolest looking hour hand. Plus, switching to the round seconds hand marker makes it all tie into the round indices better.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 01:57 AM   #133
johnliley
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
Same here I love that Tudor copied Bill Yao. ;)

Love mine its been with me everywhere.
Old 8 April 2023, 02:44 AM   #134
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I’m frankly struck by the pushback to the snowflake hand. I’ve never owned one, and I’ve owned several Rolex watches with Mercedes hands…but I always thought the snowflake was the coolest looking hour hand. Plus, switching to the round seconds hand marker makes it all tie into the round indices better.
There is nothing wrong with them. They have become a trademark of Tudor and help provide excellent visibility of time. Love seeing them every time I wear any one of my Tudors. Frankly, they are easier to see than the Mercedes hands on a Sub.
Old 8 April 2023, 05:22 AM   #135
"TRF" Member

Has anyone heard anything about the rubber version? I have yet to see pics of it anywhere.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 07:12 AM   #136
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari_2 View Post
There is nothing wrong with them. They have become a trademark of Tudor and help provide excellent visibility of time. Love seeing them every time I wear any one of my Tudors. Frankly, they are easier to see than the Mercedes hands on a Sub.
Agree, I have just said on a post earlier:

I’m away this weekend, have been wearing my Tudor Pro this morning and got an excellent fit with the T-fit clasp and excellent legibility on the dial. Put my Explorer 124270 this evening, can’t get as good a fit on the bracelet and legibility isn’t as good. If they would have brought the Explorer 40mm out on a Glidelock or did the Explorer 2 on a Glidelock I would by it. Explorer 2, no Glidelock, 100m water resistance, Blackbay Pro, 200m water resistance and T-fit clasp!
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 07:19 AM   #137
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don’t have a problem with snowflake hands. I have a problem when I see the snowflake hands without the snowflake dial.

These are slowflakes and have both - as God and nature intended.

Old 8 April 2023, 07:23 AM   #138
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t have a problem with snowflake hands. I have a problem when I see the snowflake hands without the snowflake dial.

These are slowflakes and have both - as God and nature intended.

I understand. I do prefer the square indices, but I'm ok with the Snowflake hour hand on a circle indices dial, especially since they made it during my birth year. I wish I had one!

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 02:45 AM   #139
PO.Victory
"TRF" Member

Question for the new owners. I was really excited for the updated BB36 with the new movement, case, and T-fit. But then Tudor went a lot further and ruined it, imho, with the dials and jubilee. I feel it’s now some kind of franken-OP/DJ.

For those that have had experience with both the BB36 and the BB54, is the BB54 a similar everyday GADA replacement for the old BB36?
PO.Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 05:05 AM   #140
bohren
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by natosteve View Post
Yep. That was my initial thought... Would the sleek ranger bracket fit the bb54. Keep us posted :)
Here I am now, today my favourite Boutique called me and the BB54 is on my wrist.

No, the Ranger Oyster doesn't fit the end-links of the BB54, reason is the width of the middle section of the bracelet, which is:

BB54: 9 mm
BB58: 9 mm
Ranger: 10 mm

For me that's a non-issue as this time - with the BB54 - I love the riveted bracelet, but for those who can stand the look, I add, that the 93150 from my 14060m fits the BB54 end-links, its middle part is 9 mm.

Good news: Uncle Seiko's half-link for the BB58 fits the BB54 bracelet.
Btw, it was reported that the BB54 and the BB54 have a different tonality. I will not dispute this, but at the end of this day, I couldn't spot an obvious difference.
I will look at it tomorrow again, but for me that 3rd party half-link is a match - it's at the underside of my wrist nearest to the T-Fit anyway.

And I haven't seen the weight of the BB54 mentioned so far on the web. It's a mystery to me, why no reviewer does this.
The weight of the watches - case only, no bracelets attached - according to my 20 dollar kitchen scale:

Black Bay 54: 55 gr
Black Bay 58: 65 gr
Sub 14060m: 74 gr.

Here are a few pics I made before the sun was completely gone. My wrist is 17-17.5 cm depending on the temperature and with a calliper without pressing the sides I get 55 - 58 mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 230412_17599_Tudor-BB54.jpg (248.3 KB, 677 views)
File Type: jpg 230412_17583_Tudor-BB54.jpg (248.0 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg 230412_17564_Tudor-BB54.jpg (252.5 KB, 679 views)

Last edited by bohren; 13 April 2023 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: grammar
bohren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 07:33 AM   #141
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Next year Tudor will introduce the BB49 as a 34mm dive watch no one can read because it’s too small.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:20 AM   #142
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO.Victory View Post
Question for the new owners. I was really excited for the updated BB36 with the new movement, case, and T-fit. But then Tudor went a lot further and ruined it, imho, with the dials and jubilee. I feel it’s now some kind of franken-OP/DJ.

For those that have had experience with both the BB36 and the BB54, is the BB54 a similar everyday GADA replacement for the old BB36?
I have both now. I'd say the BB36 is a more versatile GADA-ish watch. Lack of gilt indicies, no bezel, no faux rivet bracelet. These things add up to a more cleaner/plainer look that blends in better in all kinds of situations. I'd much rather wear the BB36 with a suit than a BB54, though I think either are ok in this day and age.

BB54 wears noticeably larger. 37mm, and the lugs have a broader look. It reminds me a lot of the previous generation "supercase" Datejusts and OP36s. Those had thicker lugs and thus made them wear a bit larger than their stated sizes.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:25 AM   #143
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohren View Post
Here I am now, today my favourite Boutique called me and the BB54 is on my wrist.

No, the Ranger Oyster doesn't fit the end-links of the BB54, reason is the width of the middle section of the bracelet, which is:

BB54: 9 mm
BB58: 9 mm
Ranger: 10 mm

For me that's a non-issue as this time - with the BB54 - I love the riveted bracelet, but for those who can stand the look, I add, that the 93150 from my 14060m fits the BB54 end-links, its middle part is 9 mm.

Good news: Uncle Seiko's half-link for the BB58 fits the BB54 bracelet.
Btw, it was reported that the BB54 and the BB54 have a different tonality. I will not dispute this, but at the end of this day, I couldn't spot an obvious difference.
I will look at it tomorrow again, but for me that 3rd party half-link is a match - it's at the underside of my wrist nearest to the T-Fit anyway.

And I haven't seen the weight of the BB54 mentioned so far on the web. It's a mystery to me, why no reviewer does this.
The weight of the watches - case only, no bracelets attached - according to my 20 dollar kitchen scale:

Black Bay 54: 55 gr
Black Bay 58: 65 gr
Sub 14060m: 74 gr.

Here are a few pics I made before the sun was completely gone. My wrist is 17-17.5 cm depending on the temperature and with a calliper without pressing the sides I get 55 - 58 mm.
This is helpful info. I assume the uncle bb58 president bracelet should fit too then?
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 11:17 AM   #144
Scholar
"TRF" Member

So, so, so close to perfect and then they sabotage it with the Snowflake hand.

Couldn't they have had a pencil hand like the 7293?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
BB58 fixed what I considered to be a problem with the 41mm one: the color of the print on the bezel. The 41mm has white/silver print, with a gilt dial.
That is how it's supposed to be.

Quote:

Fingers crossed! Rolex allowed Tudor to release some absolute abominations in the 90s that had Mercedes hands. Bizarre that they've adopted this strategy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad12 View Post

They could use the pencil hand, which still fits. [IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
I understand. I do prefer the square indices, but I'm ok with the Snowflake hour hand on a circle indices dial, especially since they made it during my birth year. I wish I had one!

You're overlooking another element of the matching. Snowflake Subs always had that huge bold bezel edge. Black Bays (and even Pelagos) watches don't.

Pairing the Snowflake hand with the 1950s bezel edge has always been weird. It works on the Pelagos because it's a re-imagined Sub, not on the BB.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 12:09 PM   #145
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
It's interesting. Slimming down the snowflake hour hand and going to lollipop on the seconds, plus no gilt bezel really transformed the watch. I like it.
csaltphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 07:13 AM   #146
bohren
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Some wrist-scenes from today featuring the BB54, BB58 and 14060m and I added a similar scene with the Pelagos 39 from last year. (Don't have the P39 anymore.)

As my wrist is not always at the same distance from the camera (especially with the Pelagos), please do not look at these for a size comparisom. It's more about impressions how they wear in relation to my wrist, which is is 17-17.5 cm depending on the temperature and with a calliper without pressing the sides I get 55 - 58 mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 230413_17689_Tudor-BB54.jpg (241.1 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg 230413_17703_Tudor-BB58.jpg (244.8 KB, 638 views)
File Type: jpg 230413_17733_Rolex-14060m.jpg (242.7 KB, 631 views)
File Type: jpg 220930_15939_Tudor-Pelagos39.jpg (197.6 KB, 631 views)
bohren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 11:16 AM   #147
PO.Victory
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I have both now. I'd say the BB36 is a more versatile GADA-ish watch. Lack of gilt indicies, no bezel, no faux rivet bracelet. These things add up to a more cleaner/plainer look that blends in better in all kinds of situations. I'd much rather wear the BB36 with a suit than a BB54, though I think either are ok in this day and age.

BB54 wears noticeably larger. 37mm, and the lugs have a broader look. It reminds me a lot of the previous generation "supercase" Datejusts and OP36s. Those had thicker lugs and thus made them wear a bit larger than their stated sizes.
Thank you very much for the insight, I appreciate it.

I’m seeing the BB54 in my dreams, when I stare at clouds, and on my wrist when I walk by mirrors. It probably means something but I don’t know what it is ;)
PO.Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 04:10 PM   #148
JDR888
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohren View Post
Some wrist-scenes from today featuring the BB54, BB58 and 14060m and I added a similar scene with the Pelagos 39 from last year. (Don't have the P39 anymore.)

As my wrist is not always at the same distance from the camera (especially with the Pelagos), please do not look at these for a size comparisom. It's more about impressions how they wear in relation to my wrist, which is is 17-17.5 cm depending on the temperature and with a calliper without pressing the sides I get 55 - 58 mm.
As much as I love the recent BB54 release (yet to see it up close & personal) it’s the P39 for me out of the Tudor’s on show here. Personally I love a titanium watch and its muted satin finish.

Notwithstanding I’d always take the 14060m if I had to pick one.

Current stable: 214270, 126234, 126710BLRO & Pelagos 39mm
JDR888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 04:17 PM   #149
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I don't want it. I certainly don't need it.

Or, so I keep telling myself.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 04:18 PM   #150
SearChart
TechXpert

I tried it on and loved it, probably going to get one later this year!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote