The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 September 2021, 10:40 PM   #121
eman1200
"TRF" Member

there is an youtube prankster who put a stick-on temporary tattoo on his arm then went to a laser tattoo removal place to get it removed lol. that was pretty funny.
eman1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 11:01 PM   #122
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
Welcome to 2021. This is a public forum. When someone opens a topic or adds to it, don't expect everyone to agree with you. That doesn't make them hateful or a bad person. Society has become so polarized. Male/female, rich/poor, gay/straight, black/white, donkey/elephant, masked/unmasked, vaccinated/unvaccinated.....It never ends......
Yeah. Sad times. Nothing new really though. Just greater visibility into it all.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 11:57 PM   #123
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Why? Are construction crews, oil rigs, and coal mines full of obvious, “real” hate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
/\ /\ /\

Perfect example of of which I spoke !

What ? How in the world would one conclude such ?

The quite obvious statement implication was they are not as sensitive to the “culture of the offended” and one learns to give and take.

JFC

There is truly no hope for the future …………………..
Old 7 September 2021, 12:21 AM   #124
Brew
"TRF" Member

You seem to be an expert on hate. I’m just asking for a bit of clarity. No need to get your shorts in a knot. Silly man.

Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 01:13 AM   #125
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

We humans are silly critters and still default to our reptilian brain for a lot of our initial thoughts.

He's black, he's gay, he's got long hair, he's, he's, he's.....different than me.

Then,.... he's black, but I got to know him and he seems great.

He's gay but I work with him and he's really nice.

He's got long hair but he seems like a nice guy anyway.

Then, he's my buddy and I don't care that he's different than me, in fact it's refreshing to hear different viewpoints.

We progress, we regress, but hopefully in the end we at least respect.
Old 7 September 2021, 01:23 AM   #126
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
I have read every post in this thread, and see some varied opinions but no hate. I knew from the initial post I would get a wide spectrum of response, which is what I was looking for.

I am actually a bit surprised that people have once again latched on to the tired "hate" defense to try and justify their position. People, having been exposed to different influences and experiences in their time on this flying mud ball, are going to naturally disagree on things. Disagreement is not hate.

Until people experience actual hate... the word will continue to be inappropriately thrown around. Come on people, not everyone is going to agree with everyone else all of the time.

Thanks, to all who have taken the time to add to this thread.
Old 7 September 2021, 01:23 AM   #127
Brew
"TRF" Member

Just trying to understand where some of the folks posting here are coming from. They seem to have such wide expertises, including oil rigs!

Old 7 September 2021, 01:28 AM   #128
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Yikes. I think the “hate” references keep coming from my “haters are gonna hate” comment. Maybe I’m wrong.

Blimey. It wasn’t that serious. At least it wasn’t meant to be. It’s an Internet forum, everyone should just settle down. Who cares what a bunch of silly anonymous strangers think anyway.

I mean…don’t hate the player, hate them game…

Old 7 September 2021, 01:31 AM   #129
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just trying to understand where some of the folks posting here are coming from. They seem to have such wide expertises, including oil rigs!
Are you? Or are you trying to provoke a response? Just because someone may have an opposing view, doesn't mean hate is involved... Just different experiences, beliefs, and opinions.

Sometimes those telling others to be tolerant... are the least tolerant of others.
Old 7 September 2021, 01:37 AM   #130
Brew
"TRF" Member

I’ve not expressed any views here, though. I think my first post said I wanted a tattoo when I was young, but not now. Yet, I’m held up as the example of what’s wrong with the world (or TRF or this thread, it’s hard to tell).

Just trying to understand how these hate experts get their silly ideas.

Old 7 September 2021, 01:43 AM   #131
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Yikes. I think the “hate” references keep coming from my “haters are gonna hate” comment.
Again, I took it as innocuous.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 01:44 AM   #132
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve not expressed any views here, though. I think my first post said I wanted a tattoo when I was young, but not now. Yet, I’m held up as the example of what’s wrong with the world (or TRF or this thread, it’s hard to tell).

Larry, I appreciate your input in this thread, I was just trying to say that a different opinion is not hate. It's just a different perspective. Hate is an incredibly over used word in todays age.

I am in no way holding you up as the example of what's wrong with anything. I apologize if it was perceived that way.
Old 7 September 2021, 01:44 AM   #133
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I thought you were trying to be funny. I laughed at it. Don’t hate me for it, but I thought you were just lightening the mood.

Old 7 September 2021, 01:47 AM   #134
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Now, I think the nuances of the word “hate” are being misinterpreted. If you hate someone for a decision they’ve made that only affect them…then you’re the one with the problem. “Hating on” someone or something is entirely different, and innocuous, in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Again, I took it as innocuous.
Agree. And appreciate you clarifying, again.

It just kept getting mentioned, so I figured I would pipe in.

I hate to be repetitive though. Sorry.

Old 7 September 2021, 01:47 AM   #135
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre38 View Post
Larry, I appreciate your input in this thread, I was just trying to say that a different opinion is not hate. It's just a different perspective. Hate is an incredibly over used word in todays age.

I am in no way holding you up as the example of what's wrong with anything. I apologize if it was perceived that way.

Not one bit, it was not your quote. No worries at all.

Old 7 September 2021, 01:48 AM   #136
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought you were trying to be funny. I laughed at it. Don’t hate me for it, but I thought you were just lightening the mood.

Swing and a miss, I guess. I’ll either try again (and piss someone else off), or give you all a break and leave the funny stuff to Blansky.

Old 7 September 2021, 01:58 AM   #137
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Don't have any, don't want any. As for judging, everybody makes hundreds of judgements everyday. Offensive, racist??? Isn't that pretty subjective??? Without judging a situation, how does society create boundaries??? In court a judge judges, a jury judges. Jesus judged the woman who was about to be stoned. He observed her conduct and made a judgement about it. Go forth and sin no more. Wasn't that judging???
I think you're misconstruing my post. I said I don't like tattoos (don't have / wouldn't get), but I qualified my comment by saying I don't think it's a topic that warrants forming a very strong negative opinion. There are people who really hate any tattoo -- even a tiny butterfly on somebody's ankle -- and my point was that I am not on board with those folks.

I wasn't calling any particular poster judgmental or attacking any particular post -- not possible, as I hadn't even read the thread at that point

As for the racist/offensive comment, I was offering up some edge cases where a strong negative reaction could be warranted. If somebody wants to cover themselves with KKK or Nazi symbols, or any insignia that identifies them as a member of a criminal gang, then they should expect some people to react negatively. But those are edge cases, and in general I don't think most tattoos are worth getting angry about -- even though I continue to not like tattoos personally.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 02:08 AM   #138
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

HATE; Verb: to dislike someone or something very much.

Sounds like the hated are the haters now.

Whats wrong with hating someone or something very much?
We're all allowed to love someone or something very much, aren't we?

It seems the world is filling up with people looking for a reason to be offended.

"what you think of my tattoos"

"I hate tattoos"

"WHAT!!!.........what did you say THAT for, YOU HATER, YOU HATER...........I HATE YOU!!!"
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 02:20 AM   #139
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

'Dislikers are gonna dislike"?????

And hey, I've been on an oil rig.

What happens on an oil rig, stays on an oil rig........unless there is an explosion. Then all bets are off.
Old 7 September 2021, 03:01 AM   #140
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I think you're misconstruing my post. I said I don't like tattoos (don't have / wouldn't get), but I qualified my comment by saying I don't think it's a topic that warrants forming a very strong negative opinion. There are people who really hate any tattoo -- even a tiny butterfly on somebody's ankle -- and my point was that I am not on board with those folks.

I wasn't calling any particular poster judgmental or attacking any particular post -- not possible, as I hadn't even read the thread at that point

As for the racist/offensive comment, I was offering up some edge cases where a strong negative reaction could be warranted. If somebody wants to cover themselves with KKK or Nazi symbols, or any insignia that identifies them as a member of a criminal gang, then they should expect some people to react negatively. But those are edge cases, and in general I don't think most tattoos are worth getting angry about -- even though I continue to not like tattoos personally.
My response wasn't' directed at any one person, just generally. Neither is this observation. I drive around alot for my job, I see so many virtue signalling signs in people's yards. "Hate has No Home Here," and similar signs. I know some of these people personally and God forbid you don't share their beliefs, I guarantee they hate those people. I'm sooooooo sick of identity politics!!!!! Back to the topic, I don't have any tattoos, don't want them, and don't understand them. That said, I don't question other people's motovation for getting them, that doesn't make me a hater, or a bad person.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 03:14 AM   #141
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
'Dislikers are gonna dislike"?????

And hey, I've been on an oil rig.

What happens on an oil rig, stays on an oil rig........unless there is an explosion. Then all bets are off.
Do you mean....all BOATS are off!
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 03:19 AM   #142
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
My response wasn't' directed at any one person, just generally. Neither is this observation. I drive around alot for my job, I see so many virtue signalling signs in people's yards. "Hate has No Home Here," and similar signs. I know some of these people personally and God forbid you don't share their beliefs, I guarantee they hate those people. I'm sooooooo sick of identity politics!!!!! Back to the topic, I don't have any tattoos, don't want them, and don't understand them. That said, I don't question other people's motovation for getting them, that doesn't make me a hater, or a bad person.
Agree with you there. Virtue signalling and identity politics are horrible.

I've noticed that many virtue signallers are rude and nasty. E.g., they are a jerk to family, friends, colleagues, employees, neighbors, and all other humans they actually interact with.

But they are theoretically very caring and generous to other parties -- parties that, conveniently for them, are perpetually absent. The absent parties may be called the poor, marginalized, or some other name -- and they'd offer them infinite kindness, if they ever happen to run into them. Which they won't, because they'll just move the goalposts again for who deserves decency. For example, when a poor man (deserves respect) manages to earn some money and move into their neighborhood, he is now privileged (deserves scorn).
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 03:25 AM   #143
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Do you mean....all BOATS are off!
Cultural differences.

Your rigs are in the water and mine were on the frozen tundra of Alberta.
Old 7 September 2021, 03:46 AM   #144
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hate to say it, but this really resonates with me.

Old 7 September 2021, 04:03 AM   #145
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hate to say it, but this really resonates with me.
So you ARE a hater.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 04:10 AM   #146
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
So you ARE a hater.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Just trying to be playful really.

I’m so bad at it though.

Old 7 September 2021, 04:53 AM   #147
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
No tattoos for me.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 05:10 AM   #148
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I got my first when I was 14, I thought it would make me harder, or look harder at least. Did neither.
daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote