The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 March 2018, 11:06 AM   #121
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I sent my watch in for repair at an independent in 2014 and have not received it back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
All good reasons for not accomplishing the work. But the lack of communication remains the fundamental problem. An occasional text saying he's still working it would go along way. But going dark is just the wrong way to treat a customer.

How does Rik resolve the comms issue?

IMHO, Rik should admit that this Longines is “a bridge too far”. Return the watch and move on.

This isn’t the outcome we would hope for, but sometimes a watch is beyond repair. Being able to admit that point isn’t a sign of weak skills - just accepting reality.

The comms issue is one of bandwidth methinks. When you spend so many hours at the bench with an ever growing backlog of work, you fall behind on the other side of the business. No excuse - just a time management issue. My own watchmaker had to let an employee go recently due to repeated absences. Each absence put him behind another day on bench work - and more new work came into the front door...

For the OP, your uncle gave you a nice watch - if it looked anything like the one in the link you posted (before the accident that broke it) it was a real stunner. I think it is time to ask for your watch regardless of working condition or not. Maybe sourcing a replacement movement from the same era is a route to getting it working reliably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 11:14 AM   #122
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

For the OP, your uncle gave you a nice watch - if it looked anything like the one in the link you posted (before the accident that broke it) it was a real stunner. I think it is time to ask for your watch regardless of working condition or not. Maybe sourcing a replacement movement from the same era is a route to getting it working reliably.

Oh, my watch wasn’t anywhere near that nice. Similar case shape and general “minimal” aesthetic, but it was SS and had a much more plain face.

I have previously asked for it back, in whatever condition it may currently exist in...
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 11:19 AM   #123
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny

I have previously asked for it back, in whatever condition it may currently exist in...

Wow - if you mentioned that earlier, I missed it. That is an eye opener.

Old 7 March 2018, 11:24 AM   #124
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow - if you mentioned that earlier, I missed it. That is an eye opener.

From my initial post. The August mentioned is August of 2015.

“In August, still looking, and it was promised to me that if parts were not available, it would be shipped back to me as is, which I was fine with.

Jump ahead to May 2016, the parts are available and ordered, will be there in a month!

Since then, no further response to my emails, and I’ve sent a few. I asked for updates, or for the watch to be sent back, whatever the condition. I did call on the phone once or twice, there was some difficulty in getting a clear diagram from Switzerland so that the watch could be reassembled. If I remember correctly, the last phone contact was about 4 or 5 months ago.
Old 7 March 2018, 11:28 AM   #125
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
From my initial post. The August mentioned is August of 2015.

“In August, still looking, and it was promised to me that if parts were not available, it would be shipped back to me as is, which I was fine with.

Jump ahead to May 2016, the parts are available and ordered, will be there in a month!

Since then, no further response to my emails, and I’ve sent a few. I asked for updates, or for the watch to be sent back, whatever the condition. I did call on the phone once or twice, there was some difficulty in getting a clear diagram from Switzerland so that the watch could be reassembled. If I remember correctly, the last phone contact was about 4 or 5 months ago.
I am wondering if he even has the watch in his possession?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 11:36 AM   #126
Bryant Park
Banned

If you have asked for it back repeatedly and he hasn't returned it he is a thief. Plain and simple.

I had previously offered a balanced comment giving both sides the benefit of the doubt. At some point however over 4 years, a lack of responsiveness to a return request changes from bad business to deceit. This type of practice can't be explained in my opinion.

I don't know Rick but he should apologize and either return it or pay the owner a fair negotiated value for its loss. Anything less is dishonest and bordering on criminal.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 11:39 AM   #127
swils8610

Pick up the phone and call Rik...he may be still trying to get it run properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 11:44 AM   #128
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Pick up the phone and call Rik...he may be still trying to get it run properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I believe the OP has asked for the return of his property. No further discussion, patience, or flexibility on his part should be required. Please help me understand.

Let's make it a slightly modified scenario: your new neighbor who you don't know well asks to borrow your lawn mower. You oblige. For four years you ask for it back. You are ignored and or have promises made that aren't fulfilled. Reality is you would likely call the cops. Only difference is in this case the neighbor had represented themselves as a professional and was going to get paid by you.
Old 7 March 2018, 11:55 AM   #129
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
IMHO, Rik should admit that this Longines is “a bridge too far”. Return the watch and move on.

This isn’t the outcome we would hope for, but sometimes a watch is beyond repair. Being able to admit that point isn’t a sign of weak skills - just accepting reality.

The comms issue is one of bandwidth methinks. When you spend so many hours at the bench with an ever growing backlog of work, you fall behind on the other side of the business. No excuse - just a time management issue. My own watchmaker had to let an employee go recently due to repeated absences. Each absence put him behind another day on bench work - and more new work came into the front door...

That reads like a train wreck waiting to happen. He's accepting work he'll never get to, then ignoring the customers begging for their watch back.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 12:21 PM   #130
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
At least send the OP a photo that the watch still exists, even if it's in bits and pieces.
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 12:21 PM   #131
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Sounds like he lost your watch.
Zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 12:23 PM   #132
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg55 View Post
At least send the OP a photo that the watch still exists, even if it's in bits and pieces.
Proof of life photo
Old 7 March 2018, 12:26 PM   #133
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Not cool
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 12:34 PM   #134
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
Proof of life photo
He’ll probably ignore this thread with the same vigor that he’s ignored the OP’s requests to have his watch returned. Yet, it’s mind blowing that his supporters continue to offer excuses on his behalf.
Unless he’s been in a coma for the past four years, and we know that’s not the case, there are no justifiable excuses remaining.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 12:37 PM   #135
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

That is unacceptable business practice...
Old 7 March 2018, 12:42 PM   #136
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
He’ll probably ignore this thread with the same vigor that he’s ignored the OP’s requests to have his watch returned. Yet, it’s mind blowing that his supporters continue to offer excuses on his behalf.
Unless he’s been in a coma for the past four years, and we know that’s not the case, there are no justifiable excuses remaining.
Sir I really don't think anyone is going to offer to make excuses for this type of business ethic. Until Mr. Watchmaker responds himself, all we can do is watch and wait.
Old 7 March 2018, 12:46 PM   #137
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
I would give it a few more years.

I liked your Ted avatar ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 01:15 PM   #138
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
I haven’t talked to him on the phone since he called me up the day I created this thread.

I have no doubt that he would answer my call. I just am unconvinced that yet another phone call would lead to my watch coming back, as none of the prior communications with him did.

Google Longines Cal 990.1, there’s a good bit written about it. This description is a bit too breathlessly written, but it gives useful info about the movement.

http://www.vintage-watches-collectio...ibre-990-1984/
Maybe celebrate your uncles watch serving you both a long life
and upgrade it to a new Rolex?
A new chapter yet to unfold...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 01:45 PM   #139
Ballzzz

Mod's should get involved on this one, just remember there is always two sides to every story.
Old 7 March 2018, 02:59 PM   #140
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Mod's should get involved on this one, just remember there is always two sides to every story.
Agree, and with that in mind, I have tried to be as fair and impartial as possible in describing this situation. Everything I have said is a fact. In places where I used quotes, they are directly copied and pasted from the initial email. In regards to phone conversations, I did not take contemporaneous Comey-level notes, they are to the best of my recollection.

I hope that the mods do not shut down this thread. I feel it represents my best chance at getting this watch back (short of legal action, which doesn’t make any financial sense), and I think honest and accurate reviews of folks that are recommended frequently on this site is beneficial.
Old 8 March 2018, 12:55 AM   #141
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Why?
Old 8 March 2018, 12:59 AM   #142
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
a good reputation is earned, and must be maintained to remain in good standing.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 01:03 AM   #143
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
a good reputation is earned, and must be maintained to remain in good standing.
One aw sh1t cancels a thousand attaboy’s. IMO this qualifies as an aw sh1t.
Old 8 March 2018, 01:07 AM   #144
77T

I sent my watch in for repair at an independent in 2014 and have not received it back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10
Why?

I know there is an expectation for Mod’s to intervene if posts/threads violate TRF rules but I see no violations.

It is a tough transaction in many ways with several aspects. I don’t know either party so take no sides - and don’t know what role a Mod could take despite some people’s fury over this.

The OP has been quite patient and Rik did respond once. If Rik has experienced a personal setback/problem it should be explained only if HE wants. His skills are the same as they were - just this transaction has left many wondering what has happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 8 March 2018, 01:09 AM   #145
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601
One aw sh1t cancels a thousand attaboy’s. IMO this qualifies as an aw sh1t.

You said it better than I - and with fewer words.

Old 8 March 2018, 01:29 AM   #146
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

You said it better than I - and with fewer words.

The TRF mantra is that we aren’t concerned so much that something went wrong in a transaction, we are concerned with how the seller responds to the problem. We have become accustomed to trusted sellers reacting immediately to ensure the customer is happy.

Now, perhaps I’ve become spoiled by excellent service, but I think Rik would not have any issues had he responded the way DavidSW or ThanDo would have. Rik’s approach strikes me as arrogant. As if he doesn’t care about this one customer because so many will still sing his praises. Frankly, that notion irritates the crap out of me. I am certain others have the same takeaway. The question is whether members will continue recommending Rik knowing that there is a decent chance he’ll drop the ball.

I’m out until Rik responds, or the OP gets his watch back.
Old 8 March 2018, 01:38 AM   #147
Bryant Park
Banned

Hate to be simplistic, but just return the watch. Everything else at this point is largely noise. Rick is in possession of another man's property in spite of the owner requesting its return.
Old 8 March 2018, 01:45 AM   #148
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
The TRF mantra is that we aren’t concerned so much that something went wrong in a transaction, we are concerned with how the seller responds to the problem. We have become accustomed to trusted sellers reacting immediately to ensure the customer is happy.

Now, perhaps I’ve become spoiled by excellent service, but I think Rik would not have any issues had he responded the way DavidSW or ThanDo would have. Rik’s approach strikes me as arrogant. As if he doesn’t care about this one customer because so many will still sing his praises. Frankly, that notion irritates the crap out of me. I am certain others have the same takeaway. The question is whether members will continue recommending Rik knowing that there is a decent chance he’ll drop the ball.

I’m out until Rik responds, or the OP gets his watch back.

I respect your POV, one minor difference is Rikki isn’t a seller here, nor advertises here.

He’s a watchmaker with an account here. But your point about preserving reputation is valid.

As for “decent chance” - I’d have to say “remote chance”.

Otherwise, Who’s Who or WatchOut!!! would have many bad experiences documented and that isn’t the case.

I also agree we should all take a step back and wait for resolution.

Old 8 March 2018, 02:16 AM   #149
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Watch is going back today have done all I could sorry for the time but obsolete watches and parts are a nightmare and in the future will be turned down. I appologize but it is what is I tried Thanx everyone for your support Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 04:47 AM   #150
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Watch is going back today have done all I could sorry for the time but obsolete watches and parts are a nightmare and in the future will be turned down. I appologize but it is what is I tried Thanx everyone for your support Rik
This response seems inadequate and borderline disrepectful. I hope the op got a better explanation.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote