The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 May 2010, 06:32 AM   #121
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post
You go to a Invicta store, I hear they make good watches.
I never said I was a mechanic,my job is to bum from you guys!

p club member #9
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2010, 06:33 AM   #122
scottmlew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If he was using his tools and knew what they were for he would have got a Snap On.
Well you raise a good point...if I were using them more, I'd have more seriously considered a KRL (for the unwashed masses following along from home, that's Snap On's top of the line series of tool chests), but as a weekend warrior (OK, more like a bi-monthly warrior who likes to collect!) I just couldn't justify it. SO, Mac, Matco don't make boxes with as many shallow drawers as I wanted (even a custom Matco 6S didn't get me quite where i wanted to be) and I'd spend a fortune customizing the box to get what I really wanted -- and that's on top of the massive price difference between what I bought and a comparable KRL. I mean, heck, I can (and will!) buy a SS Daytona with the savings. It certainly doesn't have the brand cachet that SO does, but I've been assured by my buddies over on GarageJournal.com that these boxes are truly of top quality, comparable to the truck brands...and even if they're a step below, they're certainly WELL above Craftsman Pro, Kobalt, etc. and will suit me just fine since I won't be moving this box on a daily basis like a pro tech would be.

But as for tools, I do love my Snap On (esp my Dual 80s, FDP wrenches, and 4 way angle wrenches -- and yep, I've got the discontinued FDP version of those!). But there are so many other brands that make fine tools...Hazet wrenches, Beta ratchets, Felo/Wera/PB Swiss screwdrivers, Cornwell sockets and long pattern combi wrenches...and I'm just getting started!

And by the way,my wife doesn't exaggerate that there are tools ALL OVER the place...once the new box arrives that should change!
scottmlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2010, 06:35 AM   #123
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmlew View Post
Well you raise a good point...if I were using them more, I'd have more seriously considered a KRL (for the unwashed masses following along from home, that's Snap On's top of the line series of tool chests), but as a weekend warrior (OK, more like a bi-monthly warrior who likes to collect!) I just couldn't justify it. SO, Mac, Matco don't make boxes with as many shallow drawers as I wanted (even a custom Matco 6S didn't get me quite where i wanted to be) and I'd spend a fortune customizing the box to get what I really wanted -- and that's on top of the massive price difference between what I bought and a comparable KRL. I mean, heck, I can (and will!) buy a SS Daytona with the savings. It certainly doesn't have the brand cachet that SO does, but I've been assured by my buddies over on GarageJournal.com that these boxes are truly of top quality, comparable to the truck brands...and even if they're a step below, they're certainly WELL above Craftsman Pro, Kobalt, etc. and will suit me just fine since I won't be moving this box on a daily basis like a pro tech would be.

But as for tools, I do love my Snap On (esp my Dual 80s, FDP wrenches, and 4 way angle wrenches -- and yep, I've got the discontinued FDP version of those!). But there are so many other brands that make fine tools...Hazet wrenches, Beta ratchets, Felo/Wera/PB Swiss screwdrivers, Cornwell sockets and long pattern combi wrenches...and I'm just getting started!

And by the way,my wife doesn't exaggerate that there are tools ALL OVER the place...once the new box arrives that should change!
Oh oh,way out of my league!

p club member #9
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2010, 07:40 AM   #124
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmlew View Post

Hey Scott,

You know I was just kidding, right?
That is one fine box you got.
Funny you should mention Hazet as not too many people are familiar with the brand.
I happen to have a few of their wrenches and socket sets.
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2010, 10:49 AM   #125
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Nicely summed up, KK!!
Kind of like it.

Best,

KK!

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2010, 01:59 PM   #126
scottmlew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Scott,

You know I was just kidding, right?
That is one fine box you got.
Funny you should mention Hazet as not too many people are familiar with the brand.
I happen to have a few of their wrenches and socket sets.
Yep, I figured you were kidding, but I also figured it was worth discussing some of the logic behind my selection

And, any friend of Hazet is certainly a friend of mine!

scottmlew is offline   Reply With Quote