The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 November 2005, 10:06 AM   #121
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Hey, who said you could drag this thread back on topic.
Now we have to hijack this thing all over again.
Don't worry about it, it's really not that hard. Does anybody like the new Ferrari F430? That thing is sweet.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 24 November 2005, 11:22 AM   #122
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Ehh, that nose still looks way too Porsche for me. Getting the Magnum PI box sets just reinforces my view that the 308 was the sweetest V8 Ferrari ever made.
Old 24 November 2005, 01:45 PM   #123
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Ferrari ? like a fair or ferret in another language? 308 now your talking guns and ammo?

Yep I like Rolex and other watches too
Old 24 November 2005, 10:59 PM   #124
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
Don't worry about it, it's really not that hard. Does anybody like the new Ferrari F430? That thing is sweet.

Tyler
I quite like the F430 and the nose isn't Porsche at all... the F430's nose is an hommage to the shark-nose F1 Ferrari that took Phil Hill to the world championship back in um.. 61 or so.

I just dont like the idea of F1-type paddle shifters. Give me a gated shifter on a Ferrari. Its the equivalent of a cyclops on a Rolex, for crying out loud.

You want to talk pretty Ferraris, look no further than any of their cars from the 1960s.

Old 25 November 2005, 01:53 AM   #125
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
I quite like the F430 and the nose isn't Porsche at all... the F430's nose is an hommage to the shark-nose F1 Ferrari that took Phil Hill to the world championship back in um.. 61 or so.

I just dont like the idea of F1-type paddle shifters. Give me a gated shifter on a Ferrari. Its the equivalent of a cyclops on a Rolex, for crying out loud.

You want to talk pretty Ferraris, look no further than any of their cars from the 1960s.
Amen to that John. I personally think that you couldn't get the nose more un-Porsche than it already is. Crazy question here what kind of Rolex's do you have? I've gotten lost in all of them here.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 25 November 2005, 01:58 AM   #126
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
Amen to that John. I personally think that you couldn't get the nose more un-Porsche than it already is. Crazy question here what kind of Rolex's do you have? I've gotten lost in all of them here.

Tyler
Black Explorer II...

Old 25 November 2005, 02:24 AM   #127
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Nice one John.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 25 November 2005, 04:15 AM   #128
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Nice one John....another one John!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 25 November 2005, 07:05 AM   #129
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Well, John, I shall simply submit my evidence and let each of us draw his own conclusions:

1961 Ferrari 156 "Shark Nose"

Ferrari 430

Porsche 911 GT2

I agree about the gate shifter wholeheartedly - an automatic transmission in a Ferrari is an idea that should have died with the 400.

Now if they wanted to hark back to old designs, this would be the way to go:

Look at them wheel arches on that 206SP - now THAT's a Ferrari!
Old 25 November 2005, 07:09 AM   #130
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
Well, John, I shall simply submit my evidence and let each of us draw his own conclusions:

1961 Ferrari 156 "Shark Nose"

Ferrari 430

Porsche 911 GT2

I agree about the gate shifter wholeheartedly - an automatic transmission in a Ferrari is an idea that should have died with the 400.

Now if they wanted to hark back to old designs, this would be the way to go:

Look at them wheel arches on that 206SP - now THAT's a Ferrari!
First of all, I am surprised I got the year right, just going off the top of my head. I must be an F1 geek.

James thanks for posting the comparison. It really illustrates the lineage well.

That 206 is the prettiest racing Ferrari sportscar ever designed, IMHO. My all time fave road car is the 250GT Lusso.

Last edited by Atomic; 25 November 2005 at 07:10 AM..

Old 25 November 2005, 07:21 AM   #131
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Ah, the Lusso's a classic! I'm partial to the slightly-later 275GTB myself.
Old 25 November 2005, 07:24 AM   #132
Atomic

Quote:
Ah, the Lusso's a classic! I'm partial to the slightly-later 275GTB myself.
The 275 is a foine automobile too! The 365GTB is also up there among my faves, but doesnt have the classic lines of the rest of the pre-1968 cars. Its kind of a transitional design.

Last edited by Atomic; 25 November 2005 at 07:25 AM..

Old 25 November 2005, 07:38 AM   #133
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I never quite took to the Daytona's nose myself, although the rear end is classic. IMHO Pininfarina did a lot better with Ferrari's mid-engine designs in the 70's than they did with front-engine.
Old 25 November 2005, 07:45 AM   #134
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

I've always personally liked the Testarossa. I don't really know why I just have. I've like mostly all of Ferrari's stuff though.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 25 November 2005, 07:53 AM   #135
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Uhh, Tyler, which Testerossa is that, the first or the second?

Both are nice, but I'll have to admit that i liked what Willy Koenig did with the '84 version.
Old 25 November 2005, 08:02 AM   #136
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:

Both are nice, but I'll have to admit that i liked what Willy Koenig did with the '84 version.
Incredible, I was thinking the same! Isn't the name Testarossa (red head) based on a fifties model with a red engine cover?
Old 25 November 2005, 08:05 AM   #137
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Yuh huh - this was it:
Old 25 November 2005, 11:29 AM   #138
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Woa, they had one before the 80's version? Man I need to brush up on a lot of things. I was talking about the 80's version, but that one is sweet too.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 25 November 2005, 12:10 PM   #139
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
They are both "oldies" to him mate.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
Old 25 November 2005, 01:33 PM   #140
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Man, that's a scary thought, Daren!

Anyway, Tyler, in 1984, Ferrari chose to revive two classic names when they released their new cars: the Testarossa (1956) and the GTO (1962).
Old 25 November 2005, 02:39 PM   #141
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Man, that's a scary thought, Daren!
Tell me about it, I am just now getting to the age where kids call me sir.

At least I still have my boyish looks and figure, well looks anyway.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
Old 27 November 2005, 11:13 PM   #142
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys.

So THAT'S why you like Rolex watches.

Knew I could come here for a straight answer without any of that

Old 28 November 2005, 01:32 AM   #143
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K
Thanks guys.

So THAT'S why you like Rolex watches.

Knew I could come here for a straight answer without any of that

Ilike them because I've got one. If I hadn't I would not like them. Easy as that.

Member #10
Old 28 November 2005, 03:10 AM   #144
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
Ilike them because I've got one. If I hadn't I would not like them. Easy as that.
How simple an answer is that? Only from our favourite Uncle!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 28 November 2005, 07:47 AM   #145
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Uncle AJ-

My hero!
Old 28 November 2005, 07:53 AM   #146
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
I couldn't think of a better answer than that.
Old 28 November 2005, 04:06 PM   #147
MathewJ
Banned

As a newcommer to this site (but not to watch sites in general), and having skimmed the first few pages of this thread I must say that I do agree with alot of what the ebay poster has been saying given my personal experience.

I can honestly say for myself the desire to own Rolex came primarily from the name, status, and position in the market...my parents also owned Rolex watches which helped in the decision but being totally honest with myself it was the status factor that had the biggest draw, the family history was only what allowed to justify the high price. I knew in buying a Rolex my parents would understand why, wheras with any other brand they would have said "you should have just gotten a Rolex"...something my mother says even when I mention that I ahve been less than pleased with the three I have owned...

I think with many, or rather the bulk of Rolex buyers they don't know any other luxury brands...luckily the media, hollywood and paid spots are working to change that though and in my own experience I have seen many more women opting for brands like Tag and Cartier where before Rolex would have been the default choice for their desires..with men Rolex are still very very strong but others like Omega, Tag, and Panerai are mentioned when I would least expect it.

I myself have had a few negative experiences with Rolex, their service and their product...I have considered jumping ship and being done with them in favor of other brands that I would consider to be better values, yet I still find it exceptionally difficult due to the draw of Rolex that you mention...I find myself trying to justify trying to move into another Rolex, or sell my current watch which I wanted for a new GMT master or something in the hopes that I will get a better finished piece knowing full well that it just isn't worth the time, money nor effort....either that or I try to say to myself that the two I have had problems with and the one I wasn't impressed were were just flukes, or that I expect too much or whatever but that doesn't jive with me either as some of the quality issues (or rather lack thereof) I have seen with Rolex I have never seen on other brands boards...

I think it is for me a bit like Japanese cars...my family and friends always looked down upon japanese cars and because of such, even though I liked many of the models available (Supra, 3000gt VR4, Acura TL, Maxima) I personally could never bring myself to buying one because of this stigma...

However after having counteless quirkiness with German makes, and overall poor quality and build with American cars my wife and I finally broke down and bought a japanese based car (Saab but Subaru base in the 92x Aero) and honestly I have a hard time buying another American or German in the mid market segment...the japanese car I can just tell is well made and will last...before I was solely looking at Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Lincoln and Caddilac wheras now I am focused on Acura, Infinity, and most likely going to consider that new 300HP Lexus IS instead as having made the switch I just cannot fathom going back...

So like cars I personally feel and hope that once I just cut my ties with the brand due to dissatisfaction there will be little or no remorse, the tough part with Rolex is that by many they are seen as the quintessential luxury watch whereas with autos many brands are regarded equally or at least close enough.

I also can understand ebay's remark and why he buys Rolex to impress...if I had a job that mandated I look well to a diverse group of people, even if I personally felt Rolex was a poor choice of a watch, I would own one just for the image...just as even though I feel Mercedes mid to lower end is a poor choice in car when compared to many others however if I were in real estate and driving around well to do prospective buyers in an affluent area a Merc would possibly be top of my short list for autos to own as I know the name and badge impresses people who don't know or care alot about cars.

The same can be said of pens (my other hobby)...as ebay pointed out Montblanc for example, I personally own two of them (145 chopin and a Generation ballpoint) and have owned many others which were sold, yet feel when compared to many other brands (Aurora, Namiki, Pelikan, Omas, etc) they are of lesser quality and are generally higher priced with fewer discount options...Yet because of the status, marketing, and look I still desire to own more montblancs...

This on the surface seems to make no sense, however one must remember that these items are never bought on logical grounds, emotion is a strong selling point for these items...due to marketing, public opinion/perception and other factors these items become hard not to buy...and even with logical purchases like computers marketing rules, just look at situations where people automatically opt for Intel when arguably AMD makes a better product at a lesser price (FYI I work in IT and research alot of computer hardware)...

And as you mentioned the price aspect plays a role as well...especially resale, it is interesting to see how so many Rolex owners "justify" their purchases based on the fact that their watches stand the chance to appreciate in value over time...on one board I contribute to there is one gentleman who whenever presented with a Rolex argument almost immediately blurts out how Rolex is the best because of their value retention and that is pretty much all which matters to him or so it seems...even I myself have a hard time getting past this as I know even though my pieces were not up to my standards chances are there is someone else willing to pay alot for it....one reason I don't just get out now and be done with Rolex is because I know if I hold out longer I stand to recoup some of what I put in instead of taking another thousand dollar plus loss on a watch...again with the cars many autos share equally in good resale, Merc, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Acura, Infinity all have better than most resale values..however with watches you are seriously limited as really only Rolex, Panerai, and Patek are up there and their prices and styles are worlds apart...the only redemming factor is that with other brands massive discounts are often available yet in some cases that doesn't even help...I would love to own a Blancpain Flyback or fifty fathoms, I feel the workmanship puts most Rolex pieces to shame...and at discounts they are pretty attractive when compared to many of Rolex's current prices...however their resale value is horrible should one not like it, and their service fees for basic are astronomical making it not an option for a daily wear piece for me...again even a poorly finished Rolex can be worn daily and abused and still sell for a good amount at the end of the day because so many people out there want them due to the marketing and their conservative styles...however this might change as in watching the market I see more and more steel sports models for sale selling for lesser and lesser prices on the secondary market...one reason why I am reluctant to sell now and just be done with it is there is so much competition out there with new or near new pieces there is little to no demand for a daily wear piece which has only been worn six months...

Sorry for the long stream of consciousness of a post, found this site and this thread late in the evening/morning and it intrigued me...
Old 28 November 2005, 04:15 PM   #148
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Hi Mathew,

Welcome to TRF. I see you still haven't lost your old flamboyant touch!! Enjoy your stay here and post as often as you can.

Cheers - JJ

Old 28 November 2005, 08:39 PM   #149
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Wow! What a way to make an entrance with a first post!
Old 28 November 2005, 09:07 PM   #150
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewJ
As a newcommer to this site (but not to watch sites in general), and having skimmed the first few pages of this thread I must say that I do agree with alot of what the ebay poster has been saying given my personal experience.

Sorry for the long stream of consciousness of a post, found this site and this thread late in the evening/morning and it intrigued me...
Welcome, however stilll like Rolex