The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2013, 12:25 PM   #121
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
This is watch that gets my blood pumping.
-I'll agree Grady...that's a pretty hot watch!! Like it!
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 12:37 PM   #122
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaching View Post
-I'll agree Grady...that's a pretty hot watch!! Like it!
It'll take a while, but I think that may be my next and last watch.

I think that would be the icing on the cake.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 04:30 PM   #123
DreambreaX
Banned

patek aquanaut looks cheap design. its like toyota with lamborghini machine.

GO FOR GOLD GMT !
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 08:19 PM   #124
SubRem24
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
both great choices but since you have several rolex, the patek is a excellent addition and supremely wearable :-)

Just listen to Subtona, if you see his choice of watches, you can't go wrong.
Patek is just class and if you're into gold then my grail is the white gold Sub with the blue bezel.
Old 24 May 2013, 08:40 PM   #125
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreambreaX View Post
patek aquanaut looks cheap design. its like toyota with lamborghini machine.

GO FOR GOLD GMT !
I disagree, I think its very well executed. That being said I would go Nautilus 5711 if I were going for a steel Patek. It just looks dressier in my opinion.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 09:57 PM   #126
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
This is a watch that gets my blood pumping.
I agree, I would like to see one to try on, maybe soon
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 09:58 PM   #127
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
I disagree, I think its very well executed. That being said I would go Nautilus 5711 if I were going for a steel Patek. It just looks dressier in my opinion.
That is where I will likely end up this year although the Aquanaut is till of interest.

Ever since trying on a Nautilus, it is really singing to me.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 05:04 AM   #128
sig-x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
The 5167 is an ok watch but at $20k with a rubber strap and a non-hacking movement that is temperamental (have to watch when you change the date not to stuff up the movement) you have to re-assess where is the add value in this piece...The brand name itself is not worth $20k. You can not safely go diving in this watch, and wait until you get the first service....3 months later you will wish you had the GMT. Quite a feminine piece if that is your style

On the other hand with Rolex you are getting a huge chunk of 18k, real 18k from Rolex, with all the Rolex signature state of the art technology, a rock solid movement. The GMT provides an extra function, the lume is much better, you can actually read the date without glasses and go diving in the watch without a worry. To some ladies it will be a magnet, to others it may be an affront, but who cares what others think the fact is this watch will make an impression one way or the other. The Patek is just a little dull piece of brushed stainless steel..and not even 409L at that..sorry to be so blunt, but that's the reality.
Man I really liked the aquanaut but your post killed my interest a tad bit. Ill own one someday I guess. It's the only PP I care for even though its the entry model.
sig-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 05:55 AM   #129
tinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig-x View Post
Man I really liked the aquanaut but your post killed my interest a tad bit. Ill own one someday I guess. It's the only PP I care for even though its the entry model.
Ah man, dont let these posts sway you.
Not trying to offend anyone here.. but a colored gold rolex reminds me of dudes standing outside social clubs on Mulberry street in the 70/80s.
tinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 06:03 AM   #130
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinger View Post
Ah man, dont let these posts sway you.
Not trying to offend anyone here.. but a colored gold rolex reminds me of dudes standing outside social clubs on Mulberry street in the 70/80s.
-I disagree. Fact is not too many people can just drop 40K on a watch. That's just reality. The 18K Solid Gold GMT IIC watch is amazing in every aspect.
Old 25 May 2013, 06:28 AM   #131
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

The naysayers usually have never even worn a Patek let alone owned one. If you want to know what they're really like to own over an extended period of time then ask an owner for their opinion. The opinions of paper tigers who only have opinions for proof are not worth the paper they're printed on. The GMT is a great watch but if you own both it's abundantly clear that the Patek is the better finished and executed watch.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 06:47 AM   #132
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I happen to own and like steel Pateks and precious metal Rolexes. The gold Rolexes are great because they are derivative of the steel sports models. This means that they are robust and durable sports watches with a bit of specialness. The Patek Nautilus/Aquanaut are great because their movements (the same exceptional movements found in some of the dressier models) are encased in a durable steel case. This means you can take them with you most days when you're not all dressed up. In a nutshell, gold Rolexes are dressy sports watches while steel Pateks are sporty dress watches. There's room for both in any collection.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 06:54 AM   #133
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I happen to own and like steel Pateks and precious metal Rolexes. The gold Rolexes are great because they are derivative of the steel sports models. This means that they are robust and durable sports watches with a bit of specialness. The Patek Nautilus/Aquanaut are great because their movements (the same exceptional movements found in some of the dressier models) are encased in a durable steel case. This means you can take them with you most days when you're not all dressed up. In a nutshell, gold Rolexes are dressy sports watches while steel Pateks are sporty dress watches. There's room for both in any collection.
Well said
Old 25 May 2013, 07:26 AM   #134
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Great post and I mostly agree.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 10:40 AM   #135
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I didn't think I would own a gold watch until I was at least well into my forties but after seeing the great pics of the GMTc yg on here I went to an ADs and tried one on and it is a really beautiful piece and under the fairly normal lighting of this particular ADs I found the watch wasnt too blingy or gaudy or lounge lizardy as I was slightly suspecting but just a beautiful luxury sports watch. Its on my list for sure.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 11:04 AM   #136
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Mike did you ever meet a watch you didn't like?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 12:19 PM   #137
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

I get so tired of people contemplating if a Rolex is more worthy than mine. Which watch do you think I would choose?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.9 KB, 299 views)
Old 25 May 2013, 05:30 PM   #138
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
The naysayers usually have never even worn a Patek let alone owned one. If you want to know what they're really like to own over an extended period of time then ask an owner for their opinion. The opinions of paper tigers who only have opinions for proof are not worth the paper they're printed on. The GMT is a great watch but if you own both it's abundantly clear that the Patek is the better finished and executed watch.
Don't under estimate people on watch boards.
I've owned Patek annual calendar and calatrava, I don't own them anymore, now have 3 steel Rolex and AP RO. I will not hesitate to get the gold GMT over the Aquanaut, even over the annual calendar. The GMT is just a more wearable watch and $20K for a steel watch with rubber strap just ain't gonna happen...
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 05:39 PM   #139
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
I don't think you can get a gold gmt iic for 20k...used or unused. Or maybe you can!
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 07:58 PM   #140
watchf
"TRF" Member

The YG GMTIIc is/was a grail of mine but between an Aquanut and GMT I might choose the GMT. However between a YG GMTIIc and a Nautilus I would go Nautilus especially a 5726 with SS bracelet but then the price would be much higher than the GMT in the first place.
watchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 09:04 PM   #141
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Same here, I like steel Pateks and precious metal Rolexes, except I don't like the Aquanaut series, like I said before, it's a bit feminine for my taste.

But you hit a great point here, gold sports Rolexes are robust/durable with a bit of specialness, I can wear them while playing golf, Pateks? No way.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 09:45 PM   #142
theken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
I had a 18K GMTIIC that I wore a couple of times a month.
It remains my favorite of the Rolex 18K yellow gold models.
Recently I decided to replace it with a Patek.
I tried on the Aquanaut 5167 on a bracelet as well as the Nautilus 5711.
After trying on both watches, I ordered a white dial 5711 Nautilus.
If you can try on all of the watches you are considering, I think it will make the decision process much easier.
theken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2013, 12:07 AM   #143
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Mike did you ever meet a watch you didn't like?
Hmmm. Rarely but I probably wouldn't call myself a Hublot fan. No offense to any owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theken View Post
I had a 18K GMTIIC that I wore a couple of times a month.
It remains my favorite of the Rolex 18K yellow gold models.
Recently I decided to replace it with a Patek.
I tried on the Aquanaut 5167 on a bracelet as well as the Nautilus 5711.
After trying on both watches, I ordered a white dial 5711 Nautilus.
If you can try on all of the watches you are considering, I think it will make the decision process much easier.
Or you not... You could end up with both, Mark!
Old 26 May 2013, 01:45 AM   #144
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Again...the all Gold GMTIIC is just an amazing, heavy and versitile watch. When you put it on you know a watch is on your wrist! I can wear it with a decked out Canali Suit, shorts and a Polo shirt, jeans and a Polo shirt etc...options are endless. An all Gold watch is just special and a must for any serious watch nut's collection! It's not like a DDII or President which is way too dressy for casual clothes. The overall watch is very sporty even though it's solid Gold.
Old 26 May 2013, 02:53 AM   #145
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaching View Post
Again...the all Gold GMTIIC is just an amazing, heavy and versitile watch. When you put it on you know a watch is on your wrist! I can wear it with a decked out Canali Suit, shorts and a Polo shirt, jeans and a Polo shirt etc...options are endless. An all Gold watch is just special and a must for any serious watch nut's collection! It's not like a DDII or President which is way too dressy for casual clothes. The overall watch is very sporty even though it's solid Gold.
Agree with all your points about the 116718 but the plat DD2 is just fine casually as well.

Old 26 May 2013, 04:14 AM   #146
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Although it's a Patek, I would rather go GMT 18k... I just looks better IMO.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2013, 04:58 AM   #147
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Two different kinds of statement

Personally for around $30K, given the choice between the GMTIIC in gold or the Patek 5164 in ss, I would take the Patek every time. I like the fact that it's much less conspicuous. I can walk into any meeting or any bar anywhere in the world, and it's highly unlikely to get recognized. But if you do the same thing with the gold GMTIIC you will get ID'd picked off pretty quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patek 5164 Aquanaut.jpg (67.2 KB, 233 views)
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2013, 08:09 AM   #148
R.J.
"TRF" Member

Watch: milgaus gv
On a Rolex forum the Patek seems to be holding it's own pretty well. My gold watch is a Calatrava on a strap so it flies under the radar. Personally I like the Aquanaut but understand there's something special wearing precious metal on the wrist How about the GMT11 in gold with leather strap. Less bling, less price and still striking.
Old 26 May 2013, 08:30 AM   #149
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsubby View Post
Don't under estimate people on watch boards.
I've owned Patek annual calendar and calatrava, I don't own them anymore, now have 3 steel Rolex and AP RO. I will not hesitate to get the gold GMT over the Aquanaut, even over the annual calendar. The GMT is just a more wearable watch and $20K for a steel watch with rubber strap just ain't gonna happen...
I guess you'll never buy any cool old vintage Rolex watches then as $20k cheap for ones I like!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2013, 09:30 AM   #150
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree with all your points about the 116718 but the plat DD2 is just fine casually as well.

Mike ...you're killin' me!!! Agreed.....That DD2 Platty is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!