The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 5 June 2014, 04:18 PM   #121
jimmyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
The OP wrote:

I believe that means, they, Rolex, found a faulty gasket. This is on a two week old watch; unless he took it apart and damaged it then it is a manufacturing defect. Since they are deciding how to compensate (replace or repair), that means they've taken responsibility.
Thank you for thoroughly reading what I wrote
Yes, the AD acknowledged that this is not something I did. I am not at fault whatsoever. They recognize this and we are passed this part of the game. Now they are determining their next step which is to either replace my watch or not as they have already replaced the faulty gasket and pressure tested it. I never took the watch apart (I don't even know how to do that).
Old 5 June 2014, 04:52 PM   #122
jimmyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
This statement doesn't make sense, mate. If they're doing the right thing then they will not be hurt.
What is the purpose of this thread? Why present bits of a story that leave a LOT of room for conjecture?
Lol, jake you are a tough one. Obviously, as you know,I am new to these forums. To be honest, I just started liking watches within the last year and have only been a rolex (2) owner within the past couple of months. I am so far from being an expert (like you) that you have no idea. I really like the rolex watches so I expect a top notch watch for the top notch dollar they command. When my DIVING watch took on water right after purchase I got really mad (as I'm sure you or anyone else would). I thought forums are where you go to find answers or advice or suggestions from more experienced forum members. It is awesome reading so many supporting comments but there are a few (like you) who make me feel like I am on trial of some sort. Lol. I always give people the benefit of the doubt and especially businesses because I have a business myself and would like the same courtesy in a bad situation. I don't want to name the AD right away because I don't want to unnecessarily hurt someone who will ultimately do the right thing.. The reason I posted my situation is to get help on what I should do. If I haven't typed everything to your satisfaction just let me know and I will be glad to elaborate on something you need clarified. I assumed everyone who my post reached have had some experience with rolex and could help me (which they have). I have zero experience with rolex and may be in a situation with mine that I want to know how to handle. Do these statements make sense ^

Last edited by jimmyh; 5 June 2014 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Add
Old 5 June 2014, 05:09 PM   #123
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
Lol, jake you are a tough one. Obviously, as you know,I am new to these forums. To be honest, I just started liking watches within the last year and have only been a rolex (2) owner within the past couple of months. I am so far from being an expert (like you) that you have no idea. I really like the rolex watches so I expect a top notch watch for the top notch dollar they command. When my DIVING watch took on water right after purchase I got really mad (as I'm sure you or anyone else would). I thought forums are where you go to find answers or advice or suggestions from more experienced forum members. It is awesome reading so many supporting comments but there are a few (like you) who make me feel like I am on trial of some sort. Lol. I always give people the benefit of the doubt and especially businesses because I have a business myself and would like the same courtesy in a bad situation. I don't want to name the AD right away because I don't want to unnecessarily hurt someone who will ultimately do the right thing.. The reason I posted my situation is to get help on what I should do. If I haven't typed everything to your satisfaction just let me know and I will be glad to elaborate on something you need clarified. I assumed everyone who my post reached have had some experience with rolex and could help me (which they have). I have zero experience with rolex and may be in a situation with mine that I want to know how to handle. Do these statements make sense ^
Simply stating all the facts clearly would certainly have yielded the best results. It's impossible to give useful advice without all the facts.
Old 5 June 2014, 05:12 PM   #124
votoms
"TRF" Member

Waiting to hear what the verdict is.
Old 5 June 2014, 05:16 PM   #125
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
I agree that you should get a new watch in order to make this situation right I hope that the AD treats you as they should and that they take care the situation.

If the AD becomes difficult to deal with and you believe that you've been treated unfairly, you could consider filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Hope it turns out for you.
Old 5 June 2014, 06:03 PM   #126
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Thank you for thoroughly reading what I wrote
Yes, the AD acknowledged that this is not something I did. I am not at fault whatsoever. They recognize this and we are passed this part of the game. Now they are determining their next step which is to either replace my watch or not as they have already replaced the faulty gasket and pressure tested it. I never took the watch apart (I don't even know how to do that).
Interesting, most of the ADs will never touch a Rolex still in Rolex warranty, preferring to send it back to Rolex.

Replacing the gasket and pressure testing the watch is not enough, they have plenty of work left to do, before the watch is like new.
Old 5 June 2014, 09:02 PM   #127
Quackers
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbo View Post
Replacing the gasket and pressure testing the watch is not enough, they have plenty of work left to do, before the watch is like new.
Absolutely. I would want the watch to go back to Rolex. They need to see it to thoroughly check everything to offset possible future problems.
Old 5 June 2014, 09:18 PM   #128
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Good luck with the outcome !
Was the watch still in its protective stickers when you bought it ?

Anyway, what you are experiencing is extremely rare and you are really unlucky.
I have been buying Rolex since '94 and never had a problem with one. Never !
Nobody knows for sure but I suspect someone opened the back for some reason after it left the factory. Not want to overly defend the brand but I do not believe a Rolex leaves the factory not being an 'oyster'.

Sorry for you in any case. This has to be big pain to experience. Hope soon all is well.
I would want a new one too.
Old 5 June 2014, 10:24 PM   #129
Marine1981
"TRF" Member

Hope all works out, if I had paid $8-9k on a watch which is supposed to be a professional dive watch I'd expect it do just that. The AD should make it right, if they don't something is wrong and they should be ousted publicly so others don't buy from them.
Old 5 June 2014, 10:39 PM   #130
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Although this certainly seems like a Rolex issue, the AD could have avoided this with a simple pressure test prior to delivery. I don't understand why AD's don't add a little in-house value by doing this on all new watches.
I know that it probably isn't necessary, but in this case it would have helped avoid a problem. Also, I would appreciate and find value in knowing my AD was providing additional value, beyond sizing and a simple wipe down.
Btw, my AD doesn't even own a pressure tester, which if I find completely unacceptable. They send watches out for testing and charge $50. I've heard of many AD's doing it in their shop, while you wait and, often, for free.
It's the little things that differentiate a business, IMO.
Old 5 June 2014, 10:54 PM   #131
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Sub should be water resistant even without screw in the crown, so leaking within a 2 feet deep water must mean some kind of major seal/gasket/o-ring failure, I am appalled how this would escape Rolex's QC? I thought they pressure test all their watches?

Assuming the OP is telling the truth, I would demand a new watch.
Old 5 June 2014, 11:06 PM   #132
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbo View Post
Interesting, most of the ADs will never touch a Rolex still in Rolex warranty, preferring to send it back to Rolex.

It seems to me that the AD is trying to sort this problem out in-house and therefore that is why they opened the watch and put the new gasket in themselves. Most likely this shop has a watchmaker and they will perform the service themselves due to this odd occurrence.

IMHO this two week time lag is so they can perform the service, check all the gaskets, and make sure the watch is in top shape and send it back to the OP.

Also, I agree with the OP that some people on here get all defensive about defects in Rolex's and put others on "trial." Seriously as if people don't have better things to do than make up stories about their Rolex's breaking.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

GOOD LUCK WITH THE OUTCOME AND NO MATTER WHAT ENJOY YOUR WATCH! LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WORRY ABOUT THINGS LIKE NEW WATCH OR YOUR WATCH FULLY FIXED AND IN TIP TOP SHAPE...
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
Old 5 June 2014, 11:15 PM   #133
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
very unusual situation here...never had an issue with any Rolex as far as water intrusion, but they are mass produced...it can (and in this instance did) happen...very unfortunate but i'm betting they will do the right thing. As far as pressure testing every watch before it walks out the door with the new owner just isn't feasible in my opinion. It shouldn't be a worry from the stance of the customer or the AD..
Old 5 June 2014, 11:16 PM   #134
jimmyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCASANOVA View Post
It seems to me that the AD is trying to sort this problem out in-house and therefore that is why they opened the watch and put the new gasket in themselves. Most likely this shop has a watchmaker and they will perform the service themselves due to this odd occurrence.

IMHO this two week time lag is so they can perform the service, check all the gaskets, and make sure the watch is in top shape and send it back to the OP.

Also, I agree with the OP that some people on here get all defensive about defects in Rolex's and put others on "trial." Seriously as if people don't have better things to do than make up stories about their Rolex's breaking.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

GOOD LUCK WITH THE OUTCOME AND NO MATTER WHAT ENJOY YOUR WATCH! LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WORRY ABOUT THINGS LIKE NEW WATCH OR YOUR WATCH FULLY FIXED AND IN TIP TOP SHAPE...
^^^^thank you so much for that
Old 5 June 2014, 11:19 PM   #135
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
I don't want to mention the AD yet until I know what the resolution is. There is no need to hurt a company if it does the right thing. I will know more Friday.
I agree Welcome to TRF
Old 5 June 2014, 11:27 PM   #136
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Replacing a gasket on a watch that has flooded is not nearly enough to rectify the situation. The movement needs to be completely serviced. The lubricants have been compromised and all traces of moisture have to be removed to stop corrosion. The lume on the hands and dial may have been damaged by the water as well. This watch needs a full service and inspection regardless of how old it is!
Old 5 June 2014, 11:48 PM   #137
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don't want to mention the AD yet until I know what the resolution is. There is no need to hurt a company if it does the right thing. I will know more Friday.
Please name the AD! If they step up to the plate and do the right thing we should know who they are. If they strike out, we also deserve to know. You brought the AD into it at the very beginning so spill the beans
Old 6 June 2014, 12:15 AM   #138
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Simply stating all the facts clearly would certainly have yielded the best results. It's impossible to give useful advice without all the facts.
It was clear enough to me. FWIW. I'm frankly unable to interpret the original post in any other way than Rolex having found the problem as theirs and deciding how they are going to deal with it.

With only relatively short time on the forum for the OP, I can't imagine why anyone would expect a short timer to know the ins and outs of Rolexes and the corporations workings. Hell, I've been here a couple of years and I'm still relatively clueless to some of the long time members.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 6 June 2014, 12:15 AM   #139
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I probably don't know enough about the process but I don't like the sound of the way the AD is handling it. It just seems to me that if a brand new watch takes on water Rolex will want to see the watch untouched for examination. But it sounds like the AD has opened it up an worked on it, including changing out the gaskets(s)? Or at least I read into the OP's statement that it was the AD that worked on the watch. I don't see how the RSC at this point could ever review the situation since they were never presented the watch "as is" when the problem occurred.

Someone feel free to correct me if my reasoning is off. OP, if it was actually the RSC that opened the watch and replaced parts, clarify that.
Old 6 June 2014, 12:38 AM   #140
ec51
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
Replacing a gasket on a watch that has flooded is not nearly enough to rectify the situation. The movement needs to be completely serviced. The lubricants have been compromised and all traces of moisture have to be removed to stop corrosion. The lume on the hands and dial may have been damaged by the water as well. This watch needs a full service and inspection regardless of how old it is!
Exactly, a FULL movement service. Not just a gasket replacement and pressure test!

...or a new watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnj View Post
Please name the AD! If they step up to the plate and do the right thing we should know who they are. If they strike out, we also deserve to know. You brought the AD into it at the very beginning so spill the beans
Agreed -- if the AD handles the issue appropriately, we should know who they are as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
I probably don't know enough about the process but I don't like the sound of the way the AD is handling it. It just seems to me that if a brand new watch takes on water Rolex will want to see the watch untouched for examination. But it sounds like the AD has opened it up an worked on it, including changing out the gaskets(s)? Or at least I read into the OP's statement that it was the AD that worked on the watch. I don't see how the RSC at this point could ever review the situation since they were never presented the watch "as is" when the problem occurred.

Someone feel free to correct me if my reasoning is off. OP, if it was actually the RSC that opened the watch and replaced parts, clarify that.
It's odd the AD is working on the watch (which is how I also read the OP). I would assume a "warranty issue" such as this, would go straight to the RSC.

Eric
Old 6 June 2014, 12:50 AM   #141
Ed Man

Watch: 114060/116334
I would definitely want a new watch!!! I hope this ends amicably. I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if the there has been a resolution.
Old 6 June 2014, 12:53 AM   #142
buckwheat
Banned

I will add my 6 cents! I would Demand a Full Refund and Buy from another dealer.

bw
Old 6 June 2014, 02:47 AM   #143
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
It was clear enough to me. FWIW. I'm frankly unable to interpret the original post in any other way than Rolex having found the problem as theirs and deciding how they are going to deal with it.

Well, you've just proven my point because if you read later comments you will see that he states that he believes that the AD has not sent the watch to the RSC at all.
Old 6 June 2014, 02:49 AM   #144
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To my knowledge the AD didn't send it to RSC but I will verify
There it is again since you missed it, HogwldFLTR.
Old 6 June 2014, 02:58 AM   #145
911flyer
"TRF" Member

I thought Rolex tested all watches before shipping them out...

Sent from my sub using helium
Old 6 June 2014, 03:08 AM   #146
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Its o.k to be a Rolex fanboy but lets assume the OP is telling the truth. I think we always try to give the benefit of the doubt on this forum. There is no reason to read into the OP's story anymore than what was given. I believe a final pressure test for any dive watch, (especially a $9K dive watch) is not unreasonable. Its a common and basic test to do. Rolex is a expensive factory watch, why pay a highly inflated price for a factory watch if basic quality control checks are not enforced?? Its called accountability for the gratis lip service the superlative Rolex marketing machine preaches. If they talk the talk, they better walk the walk in quality control. Failures like these better be more concerning than the usual "these things happen".
After all, Rolex holds we owners to a narrow line by demanding we keep our watches bone stock and only having it serviced under their ridged service terms. Why shouldnt we owners return the same ridged expectations?

Even if this entire story is fictional, it still presents a question of what is expected by a premium company like Rolex with quality control.

Quote:
I'm no part of a brand defense force. This is the internet. Be aware that you should nit believe everything you read.
Old 6 June 2014, 03:12 AM   #147
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Wow..and around & around in circles. I'd say that until the OP gives up the name of the AD and/or gives a progress report then this thread can go nowhere but.
Old 6 June 2014, 03:29 AM   #148
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
I think they should refund your money in full or send you a new one. From what I've read here.. water inside a watch is really really bad and at a minimum it should have a full service? You should not have to go through that with a new watch. I would think the AD should make good on it and send you a new one.. let them deal with the faulty one.
Old 6 June 2014, 03:29 AM   #149
Andersped
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCASANOVA View Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

x2
Old 6 June 2014, 03:41 AM   #150
phatotto
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few at a time
Quote:
The way im looking at it is.. you are going to give the AD props if they give you a new one right? something like "thank you for making it right" or something like that.. And on the other hand if they don't, and decide fix your water logged Sub, you probably spit all over them on here saying something like "don't do business with them they don't take care of there customers" right? So my point is you are going to tell us the name of the AD regardless, so lets go with it!! LOL
So as of right now, Im not buying any Rolex's from ANY Virginia AD's!! LOL
Closed Thread