The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 26 August 2017, 05:38 PM   #121
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Everyone will assume it's a fake anyways so yes you'll generally look ridiculous. The main reason I'm sadly pulling away from the brand, 17 year old in a Rolex is ridiculous. I guess I feel that as at 17 I was working 50 hours a week trying to keep a roof over my head when I had nothing in the world. All these I saved really hard, while living at home and shashing nanas Xmas money, I even washed the Bentley for grandpa. Generally just go buy a Hublot and leave the Rolex marque alone and don't help push it further into the stereotype it's becoming. Deep down everyone agrees with me.
Old 26 August 2017, 05:52 PM   #122
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxa View Post
Everyone will assume it's a fake anyways so yes you'll generally look ridiculous. The main reason I'm sadly pulling away from the brand, 17 year old in a Rolex is ridiculous. I guess I feel that as at 17 I was working 50 hours a week trying to keep a roof over my head when I had nothing in the world. All these I saved really hard, while living at home and shashing nanas Xmas money, I even washed the Bentley for grandpa. Generally just go buy a Hublot and leave the Rolex marque alone and don't help push it further into the stereotype it's becoming. Deep down everyone agrees with me.
No, 'everyone' does not agree with you deep down.

I don't.

You sound like a hard luck story but I doubt you know what hard luck really is?

The young man owns a Rolex.

Good for him and TRF is the place to talk about them as we all do.

Some posters should find another Forum.

"Go wash the Bentley"......

Old 26 August 2017, 07:33 PM   #123
ssetem
"TRF" Member

Watch: blro,daytc,lv,blnr
congrats, looks nice and in 20 years it would have lived with you through your best years.

look after it, insure it, be humble
Old 26 August 2017, 07:54 PM   #124
Fuselierpa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Excellent watch.
<--------
I wouldn't take it with you to college. Things get lost, broken and stolen at college. Not enough security in the dorms, and too much booze all the time.
Old 26 August 2017, 08:16 PM   #125
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
The kid asked.
Don't be a smartass. He didn't ask for abuse.
Old 26 August 2017, 08:17 PM   #126
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I bet the ladies are gonna love it!!

I think it looks good on you.

Only 1 kid I remember in school had one. He was a bit of a douche with his shiny new bluesy. But I very much wanted one of what he was wearing.

Do I think a Rolex is too much for a 17 year old? Yes. I do. Do I believe that you paid for it? I don't see how that's possible. But it's not important either. No matter how you got it, if you enjoy it, life is short...so you do you. And try not to worry about everyone else (as if that's even possible).

But as a guy that will need to put his watch in his locker during football practice, I'd leave the watch at your parents house while at school. Lockers are easy to beak into.

When you can wear it 24/7, then I'd start wearing it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 26 August 2017, 08:23 PM   #127
slowflow
"TRF" Member

Wear it. You bought the watch because you like it. It shouldn't matter what other people think.

Congratulartions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 August 2017, 08:29 PM   #128
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali salame View Post
im 17 and I just got my first rolex a date just 2 with the white gold bezel. I didn't buy this watch to look like a douche or to say that I'm rich I have a old car but I saved up for this rolex because I have a legit passion for watches. so my question is: is a rolex date just 2 too much for a college student's everyday watch.
If you like it, thats all that matters.

Tip: its best not to disclose your age if you are young, although i know you needed to for the post to have context. There are a lot who will dismiss you out of hand due to your age.

As you can tell people are going to jump to all sorts of conclusions as to how you have the money to pay for it, where as these "old" guys could be trust fund kids too that are grown up now but no one automatically assumes that they might be.

Sorry for the rude welcome you have received thus far. A 55 year old asking a similar question would get a much more polite response unfortunately.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 26 August 2017, 08:30 PM   #129
tiberiustime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Platinum
As with many items you would wear, the biggest thing you project is your own confidence or concern wearing it. Purposeful flashing as well as sheepishness are both traits that encourage reactions.
Old 26 August 2017, 09:03 PM   #130
Wools
"TRF" Member

As others have already said, if you can afford it then you should not worry what others think. Enjoy your watch and your financial success in life.

My only suggestion to you is remember; a lot of teenagers your age have nowhere near the amount of money to buy a watch like you have. So enjoy life, take pride in your watch but be humble with your purchase.

Although I'm now fortunate enough to have found my footing and am happy with life (Still saving up for my first Rolex though!) I came from very humble beginnings that I'm forever grateful for as it made me more determined, gave me a wider appreciation of people and I was fortunate enough to have a loving family. On that note, I vividly remember one moment that grounded me forever and made me despise people who shout about their money:

I had saved up £3K when I was 20 years old working 2 jobs for my first ever car. Naively, I assumed I could buy a car for £2.5K on the car and around £500 for insurance. After spending weeks working out that was not going to happen, I panicked as I was packing in my 2 jobs to start my first proper dream job and needed a set of wheels.

So I sold loads of my old Videogame consoles and games to make up the shortfall. I ended up with a £450 Ford Fiesta and spent £2800 on my first year of insurance. Despite knowing I was not driving a McLaren, I was so proud of my first ever car. Cut to a few weeks later, I was drinking with friends talking about my new job and my little Ford Fiesta. An hour later a friend of one of my mates came over and as talk turned back to me learning my car, he started laughing asking how was my shit box? He then pulled out his Audi car keys and started talking how amazing his car was, whilst belittling mine.

I'll never forget how arrogant he was, how he acted unimpressed towards my car and how little he made me feel. All this, and his Mum brought that for him, his university fees were paid for by her and how his first job was organised by his Dad. He had all of life's fortune laid out in front of him, and christ he let everyone know about it. Except the bit about all of it being paid for by his Mum & Dad.

So, enjoy your fortune, have fun, but remember to be noble about it. :)
Old 26 August 2017, 09:06 PM   #131
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
^^^

That's a good lesson and good advice.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 26 August 2017, 09:17 PM   #132
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
No, 'everyone' does not agree with you deep down.

I don't.

You sound like a hard luck story but I doubt you know what hard luck really is?

The young man owns a Rolex.

Good for him and TRF is the place to talk about them as we all do.

Some posters should find another Forum.

"Go wash the Bentley"......

If you read some of my previous posts you'll see it's very tongue in cheek, kind of a nod to the old purists.

Also doubt I know what hard luck is lol. Going from foster care to foster care then homeless at 16, having cancer in my early 20's and becoming a multi millionaire before my 30th birthday, well yeah I know what hardship is you complete pr*ck.
Old 26 August 2017, 09:19 PM   #133
theloxmyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToSeeHere View Post
I don't see the point of these threads other than...
Good day!
Bad form, man.

OP: Fantastic watch.
You made a great choice.

Old 26 August 2017, 09:20 PM   #134
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
As others have already said, if you can afford it then you should not worry what others think. Enjoy your watch and your financial success in life.

My only suggestion to you is remember; a lot of teenagers your age have nowhere near the amount of money to buy a watch like you have. So enjoy life, take pride in your watch but be humble with your purchase.

Although I'm now fortunate enough to have found my footing and am happy with life (Still saving up for my first Rolex though!) I came from very humble beginnings that I'm forever grateful for as it made me more determined, gave me a wider appreciation of people and I was fortunate enough to have a loving family. On that note, I vividly remember one moment that grounded me forever and made me despise people who shout about their money:

I had saved up £3K when I was 20 years old working 2 jobs for my first ever car. Naively, I assumed I could buy a car for £2.5K on the car and around £500 for insurance. After spending weeks working out that was not going to happen, I panicked as I was packing in my 2 jobs to start my first proper dream job and needed a set of wheels.

So I sold loads of my old Videogame consoles and games to make up the shortfall. I ended up with a £450 Ford Fiesta and spent £2800 on my first year of insurance. Despite knowing I was not driving a McLaren, I was so proud of my first ever car. Cut to a few weeks later, I was drinking with friends talking about my new job and my little Ford Fiesta. An hour later a friend of one of my mates came over and as talk turned back to me learning my car, he started laughing asking how was my shit box? He then pulled out his Audi car keys and started talking how amazing his car was, whilst belittling mine.

I'll never forget how arrogant he was, how he acted unimpressed towards my car and how little he made me feel. All this, and his Mum brought that for him, his university fees were paid for by her and how his first job was organised by his Dad. He had all of life's fortune laid out in front of him, and christ he let everyone know about it. Except the bit about all of it being paid for by his Mum & Dad.

So, enjoy your fortune, have fun, but remember to be noble about it. :)

That's a nice story, all too common nowadays sadly, new Mercedes leased by daddy. Good luck to you and I hope you get your Rolex soon!
Old 26 August 2017, 09:54 PM   #135
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I don't know since I didn't read the first 4 1/2 pages of this, but would guess this thread was exactly like every other thread entitled "I'm 16-18 and just got my first Rolex."

Just a guess! Carry on.
Old 26 August 2017, 10:08 PM   #136
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
Quote:
I dont regret buying it I want to collect watches anyways so why not start now. but I dont know if wearing it to college is the right move
Honestly - I wouldn't, but you need a really good heavy safe to keep it in during the day. College dorms and generally areas where students live are often not as safe from theft as others. It could give an impression to others who may be racking up debt just to attend school that you don't want to give (if you want to make friends). It's a bit ostentatious IMHO. Congrats on your achievement though! I'm impressed with your desire to collect fine watches at such a young age, and even more impressed with your discipline to work, save up for, and pull the trigger on something of that nature.

Last piece of advice - time value of money is the single most powerful financial concept known to man. Not diversification, fancy trading instruments, software, structure and unstructured data analysis - nothing. At your age, assuming you work until let's say 60 (not of necessity, but because you love what you do) that money (assuming ~6,000) would be worth ~50,000 (assuming a somewhat conservative ~5% return). Obviously you should live now and enjoy your life and not just save all your money. I hope you are also dropping cash into your future life fund, which gives you lots of options when working is not something you want to continue doing. Cheers!
Old 26 August 2017, 10:09 PM   #137
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Congrats Ali,,,,
a lovely first Rolex,,
Sorry i dont know what a " wide reciever " is,, albeit something to do with usa football as an ex pro footbal/soccer player i wouldnt be careless and leave it around the dressing/locker room,,,,
well done on saving up enough to get the watch you wanted and take no heed of peoples negative comments,,,,
enjoy her and dont worry,,,,,,jay
Old 26 August 2017, 10:14 PM   #138
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
first rolex at 17 is it too much for everyday watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Don't be a smartass. He didn't ask for abuse.

Smartass? Hey! I don't have to take that kind of abuse.

Old 26 August 2017, 10:16 PM   #139
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
I've yet to see Donovan Peoples-Jones wearing a Rolex, so I might keep it at home for a while.

I'm serious about someone stealing it. One of the... true freshman wide receivers (and I'm not joking) got thrown off the team for an unreported fairly serious theft last year. Six Florida guys (one a wide receiver!) are sitting for the UM game due to theft/fraud.

I had a Rolex in college, so I'm not in the "no kids with Rolex" camp.
Yes, college with drinking, having a good time, and a vast network of supposed friends, are all a potential recipe for disaster with a Rolex. At least if you had a Richard Mille, no one would know what it was. Do yourself a favor and never take it off your wrist and get a safe. You'd be surprised, or perhaps not at how many stupid things kids do in college. Many of which may not even be your fault.

IMHO the Rolesor with fluted bezel may be a bit much for a college kid and the dress (unless you wear more suit and tie). I would've went with an Explorer 1 or 2 myself, but now that you have it just enjoy it
Old 26 August 2017, 10:28 PM   #140
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Come On Guys ! To the OP. Life is too short so don't bother about what the others think about owning your first Rolex !

Carpe Diem ! ( SEIZE THE DAY ! )

Here are some photos of Cole Shneider, a teenager from New York whom I occasionally follow on Instagram.Why her ? Because she loves sunbathing.... check this out... wearing her Rolex watches.... Stacking 3 on her wrist .... everytime !
What the....so if you can't afford a solid gold Submariner, but want to show off "more" than just a stainless Rolex, you wear 3 at a time

She doesn't have the time correct even on all 3!!
Old 26 August 2017, 10:32 PM   #141
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

that was not a good idea

Ill leave it at that.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 26 August 2017, 10:36 PM   #142
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I really don't care if he or any young person has a Rolex bought for him by his well-off parents. Almost no parent will not spoil their children to some degree and give them the best they can, hopefully they can still teach them the value of a dollar too but that's really outside the province of an internet forum. Sure it's great if you work hard and buy your own but if you are born into a rich family then good luck to you, to think a Rolex bought as a gift is any less valid than one that is saved for is just inverse snobbery and just as pernicious.
Old 26 August 2017, 10:42 PM   #143
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
that was not a good idea

Ill leave it at that.

I was being facetious. Why else would a grown man use an emoji?

Old 26 August 2017, 10:49 PM   #144
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxa View Post
If you read some of my previous posts you'll see it's very tongue in cheek, kind of a nod to the old purists.

Also doubt I know what hard luck is lol. Going from foster care to foster care then homeless at 16, having cancer in my early 20's and becoming a multi millionaire before my 30th birthday, well yeah I know what hardship is you complete pr*ck.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToSeeHere View Post
I don't see the point of these threads other than, Hey look at me I'm 17 and I have a rolex. To the people that say people are jealous or haters, that is and always will be the poorest possible excuse of reasoning.

No one likes obnoxious trust fund kids. There are wealthy kids who are humble, and then there are wealthy kids who claim to be humble but their behavior says otherwise. If I have to hear another "I'm 2 years old and I earned this watch because I saved for it". Riiiiiiiiight. I grew up with close friends like this. If dad pays all of your bills and then you save your massive allowance to buy a luxury good, please don't kid yourself, dad bought it. My favorite was a buddy who worked for his dad's company. The average pay for his position was $12 hour. His dad paid him $30 an hour. He lived at home, and all bills were paid. He always had bad ass cars and would tell people he was self made and earned it. The scary part is he actually believed it!

Look. I have nothing against people whose parents buy them stuff. I do have something against these little turds who don't own up to it, and do mental gymnastics to convince themselves and others that they aren't turds. Stop this "I saved for it BS". Sure there are some suckers who will believe it, but we're not all fools. Just share pics of your watch and leave it at that.

Good day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
that was not a good idea

Ill leave it at that.
Type your response and think before click. The boy is 17 seems genuinely interested in his new watch and some og you pee on his parade
Old 26 August 2017, 10:50 PM   #145
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I really don't care if he or any young person has a Rolex bought for him by his well-off parents. Almost no parent will not spoil their children to some degree and give them the best they can, hopefully they can still teach them the value of a dollar too but that's really outside the province of an internet forum. Sure it's great if you work hard and buy your own but if you are born into a rich family then good luck to you, to think a Rolex bought as a gift is any less valid than one that is saved for is just inverse snobbery and just as pernicious.
Very good points Neil.

I love how you use the value of a dollar as the reference point and not the Pound. Although, I guess does anyone really know the value of a Pound nowadays
Old 26 August 2017, 10:52 PM   #146
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
ferris state so near Ann Arbor oh my bad I misread the comment
How is Ferris anywhere near Ann Arbor, your in Big Rappids in middle of the woods where nobody is wearing a Rolex. Have fun at shooters!
Old 26 August 2017, 10:56 PM   #147
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Type your response and think before click. The boy is 17 seems genuinely interested in his new watch and some og you pee on his parade
is that directed at me? I'm on his side here

I was referring to one of the posters going after a mod
Closed Thread