The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 May 2020, 03:40 AM   #121
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I used to own the 114060 but sold it because I couldn't stand the fat lugs anymore. I tried to convince myself they were ok but finally I just accepted they weren't for me. Also, I got a 16710 during the time I owned my Sub and its near perfection overshadowed the Sub, especially the superior case proportions.

If Rolex wants to make bigger watches, then just make bigger watches. Trying to make a 40mm watch look like a 41-42mm by screwing the proportions was a mistake.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 03:54 AM   #122
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
I used to own the 114060 but sold it because I couldn't stand the fat lugs anymore. I tried to convince myself they were ok but finally I just accepted they weren't for me. Also, I got a 16710 during the time I owned my Sub and its near perfection overshadowed the Sub, especially the superior case proportions.

If Rolex wants to make bigger watches, then just make bigger watches. Trying to make a 40mm watch look like a 41-42mm by screwing the proportions was a mistake.
The word mistake is obviously your subjective opinion, and you are entitled to it. I have owned plenty of 5 digit Subs dating back to the mid90's and now wear a YG 116618. I would never go back to 5 digit Subs. There was no "mistake" Rolex made. The current Subs are far superior to the the 5 digit models in every way, including the bold styling of the case. Millions of people walk into AD's to buy a modern Submariner and have none of the hang-ups folks here have. This whole criticism is a forum thing and nothing more than that.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 10:23 AM   #123
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
The word mistake is obviously your subjective opinion, and you are entitled to it. I have owned plenty of 5 digit Subs dating back to the mid90's and now wear a YG 116618. I would never go back to 5 digit Subs. There was no "mistake" Rolex made. The current Subs are far superior to the the 5 digit models in every way, including the bold styling of the case. Millions of people walk into AD's to buy a modern Submariner and have none of the hang-ups folks here have. This whole criticism is a forum thing and nothing more than that.
I have to disagree.
I put it to you that opinions freely expressed/shared on the forum without prejudice are a legitimate snapshot of a cross section of views which are likely reflected throughout society more broadly without going onto any internet forum.
After all, we are all a part of society outside of this forum so if some don't like the soap bar look then surely that's ok?

Let's face it.
Some people prefer larger examples of the opposite sex and others like them trim taught and terrific.
Neither is right or wrong
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 10:55 AM   #124
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
No it doesn't. There's plenty of room for both case styles (and i certainly enjoy both).

Perfect ... there is room for both at least in my collection
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 10:56 AM   #125
Kube
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone DJ
I heard this was true, but have since come to learn that it's not closer to the original. There is one variation that looked sort of like the maxi case, but I'm not sure of the reference.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 11:37 AM   #126
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Let's face it.
Some people prefer larger examples of the opposite sex and others like them trim taught and terrific.
Neither is right or wrong
While others covet the morbidly obese.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 11:56 AM   #127
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaswirl View Post
while others covet the morbidly obese.
:omg:
Old 9 May 2020, 12:01 PM   #128
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well said!
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 08:12 AM   #129
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That part is definitely not true these days
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 08:19 AM   #130
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Lively debate going on here. As a long-time Sub lover I’m enjoying the discourse. I’ve had four- and five-digit Subs for many years, but when the ceramic age dawned upon us those lugs gave me pause. I didn’t buy a modern Rolex diver until the SD 116600 was released, with its sexy lugs.

I still consider buying a new 114060, it does look cool and aggressive with the maxi case. Honestly, and I hate to throw more fuel on the fire here, but mostly the thing that bothers me is the fact that the hour hand is thinner than the minute hand. Why can’t they just make them the same width like the GMT, SD, DSSD, etc.?
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 09:09 AM   #131
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I put it to you that opinions freely expressed/shared on the forum without prejudice are a legitimate snapshot of a cross section of views which are likely reflected throughout society more broadly without going onto any internet forum.
You're arguing that the opinions of a small online enthusiast community are an accurate reflection of society as a whole?

The... entire internet, really... seems to suggest otherwise.

The whole reason dedicated enthusiast communities exist is that mainstream society is almost entirely indifferent to the opinions expressed by the enthusiasts. And mainstream society is Rolex's target audience.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 09:19 AM   #132
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
You're arguing that the opinions of a small online enthusiast community are an accurate reflection of society as a whole?

The... entire internet, really... seems to suggest otherwise.

The whole reason dedicated enthusiast communities exist is that mainstream society is almost entirely indifferent to the opinions expressed by the enthusiasts. And mainstream society is Rolex's target audience.
You make good points that are certainly worthy of consideration

However, I believe you are engaging in disingenious behavior by the skewing the context of my post by selectively substituting my words.
Especially since you chose to take a section of my post and re-quote it.

Must try harder Old Mate.
Old 10 May 2020, 10:57 AM   #133
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
No it doesn't. There's plenty of room for both case styles (and i certainly enjoy both).
Perfect
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 12:39 PM   #134
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
Perfect ... there is room for both at least in my collection
That's great. The amount of people who simply dislike the maxicase and on-the-fencers who put up with it for the bracelet/new ceramic indicates that it was a questionable design decision at the very least. It's STILL a raging debate and predictions (and hopes) for a 5 digit esque case remodeling abound. I don't think it will happen btw as Rolex have gone all in with the fat lugged jubilee thing. Shame Imo.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote