The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 December 2021, 04:44 AM   #121
Zoomerang
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I take it you only spent $500 for the replacement battery because it was under warranty but had it not been it would have cost much more?
It could had been the 12v battery not the main battery. They are known to need replacement for some Teslas.
Zoomerang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2021, 04:49 AM   #122
Zoomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Maybe you Telsa owners can help me out with a decision.

Right now, I own a (2015, 60K miles) Ford fusion Hybrid, it is a titanium edition and has every bell and whistle. I was debating between it, and a Lincoln MXZ (hybrid), but when it came down to it, they both ride the same (at least to me) and I saved a lot of money buying the cheaper car.

I will buy an EV, a lot of reasons but lets just say I am destined. I always considered the S, because I figured in ride comfort it would be very similar to my Fusion. I discounted the Y, due to ride quality. I follow a bunch of Tesla and mechanics on Youtube who stated the Y rode very stiff, even to the point of uncomfortable. The X is out of my price range.

The 3 is very much within my price range, however I am concerned I will be disappointed in the ride. Can any of you owners weigh-in with your opinions?
Paul: The best advice is to test drive it extensively. As I mentioned before, I had a 2019 Model 3 Long Range with the upgraded wheels. Before then, I had a 2015 BMW 435i Gran Coupe. The bimmer had adaptive suspension, which I loved. However, I didn't notice a ride quality issue when I moved to the Model 3.

I sold it in September and I'm now waiting for delivery of my Model Y Performance, which should be here next week (app says today or tomorrow).

I read a lot about the MYP having a harsh ride so I went to Fashion Valley and test drove MYLR and MYP back to back. MYP is slightly stiffer than MYLR but not by much. The MYLR felt just like my M3LR except with more body roll, as expected being that's a crossover. It also didn't feel as agile/fast as the M3LR.

If/when I get my MYP, you are welcome to take it for a long test ride.
Old 30 December 2021, 05:45 AM   #123
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang View Post
Paul: The best advice is to test drive it extensively. As I mentioned before, I had a 2019 Model 3 Long Range with the upgraded wheels. Before then, I had a 2015 BMW 435i Gran Coupe. The bimmer had adaptive suspension, which I loved. However, I didn't notice a ride quality issue when I moved to the Model 3.

I sold it in September and I'm now waiting for delivery of my Model Y Performance, which should be here next week (app says today or tomorrow).

I read a lot about the MYP having a harsh ride so I went to Fashion Valley and test drove MYLR and MYP back to back. MYP is slightly stiffer than MYLR but not by much. The MYLR felt just like my M3LR except with more body roll, as expected being that's a crossover. It also didn't feel as agile/fast as the M3LR.

If/when I get my MYP, you are welcome to take it for a long test ride.
Thank you Dave, I appreciate that and will take you up on it. I’ll take you to lunch.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2021, 06:16 AM   #124
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Thank you Dave, I appreciate that and will take you up on it. I’ll take you to lunch.
Dang, that sounds like fun, I'm jealous.....who lives near Knoxville with an EV?
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2021, 06:57 AM   #125
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
It could had been the 12v battery not the main battery. They are known to need replacement for some Teslas.
Ah, I wasn't aware they had anything but the one, thanks.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2021, 07:55 AM   #126
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
IMHO, I think a great deal of the pushback against EVs is the reluctance to change. I completely understand. Me? I am a Techno-Geek, and can’t wait to own an electric car, yes, I admit, some of it is for the “cool” factor. As someone pointed out, there needs to be a mindset change. I have to adjust driving so that I am aware of charging stations and can not expect one at every corner like there are gas stations. I have to understand, my “fill-ups” are going to take 15 to 20 minutes longer, and adjust accordingly. Still, I am willing to make these adjustments and am very excited to own a Tesla (as soon as the dam prices come down!). I also understand the general reluctant to change something our society has been doing for over 100 years and works just fine for most people.

A serious question, I wonder if there was pushback when cars were first being introduced to society(?). I can see some of the same reasons being discussed. A gasoline car can not refuel itself by eating grass (like my horse). There were very few (back then) places to buy gasoline, and you had to closely monitor your gas supply so as not to be stranded. Sound Familiar? I personally believe they were having the same push back reasons for ICE vehicles. Well, we solved those, it didn’t happen over night, but ICE vehicles became the standard mode of transportation. I believe we will have that same evolution with Electric (or Hydrogen) vehicles.

Is there a “cool factor “ with Tesla? Maybe it’s a regional thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2021, 08:04 AM   #127
donas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post

I would say there is, more a cool to have newest tech than "cool, I'm a letter wearing jock in high school", lol.
Old 30 December 2021, 08:22 AM   #128
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I've never even sat in one but in LA where I now live, they are EVERYWHERE.

Pull up to a light with 10 cars and 2-3 are Teslas. The rest Range Rovers, Jaguar SUV and the boxy Merc SUV.
Old 30 December 2021, 08:37 AM   #129
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

If there is, I sure don’t feel it.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2021, 09:36 AM   #130
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:

Yeah, “cool” wasn’t the right word, maybe techno-geekish; (if that’s a word)
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2021, 11:22 AM   #131
Addictedtowatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is correct.
Addictedtowatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 07:47 AM   #132
Zoomerang

Quote:
Absolutely. I’ll PM you once I get it. Looking like middle of next week.
Old 2 January 2022, 10:43 AM   #133
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
https://driving.ca/auto-news/enterta...ng-repair-bill

This is interesting

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 05:30 AM   #134
gmt1
"TRF" Member

Tesla owners - what are you guys paying to charge the car at a supercharger station? I guess it was a no-brainer when Tesla offered free unlimited supercharging, but I'm looking to understand the savings that would come from owning an electric car and not having to pay $4/gal+ in premium 93 octane gas.
gmt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 02:57 PM   #135
donas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmt1 View Post
Tesla owners - what are you guys paying to charge the car at a supercharger station? I guess it was a no-brainer when Tesla offered free unlimited supercharging, but I'm looking to understand the savings that would come from owning an electric car and not having to pay $4/gal+ in premium 93 octane gas.
I don't own one, but in speaking with our local Tesla dealer they said it runs roughly $12 to "fill up" from near empty.
Old 5 January 2022, 07:05 AM   #136
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
I don't own one, but in speaking with our local Tesla dealer they said it runs roughly $12 to "fill up" from near empty.
In most areas, the least expensive way to charge your Tesla or any EV is to do so during “off peak” hours. ConEd is off peak from midnight to 8am. The cost of off peak vs. peak is substantial.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 07:11 AM   #137
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Plenty of examples on different Tesla forums that using supercharger only is not that much of a savings vs ICE even at todays current prices. As gas has increased so has electricity and hence the cost to use a supercharger. Where the savings is as mentioned above. Home charging off peak.

Honestly we are buying one and it is not for the cost savings. You can try to justify it all you want but I just can’t get there. I do not think car for car Tesla is any cheaper. We are buying for the fun, tech and crazy acceleration factor. Nothing to do with cost savings or being “green” as I also am not fully convinced there either.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 07:45 AM   #138
1st amg

I read a story of the i-95 in Virginia from two days ago that shut down due to a blizzard and cars were immobile for 13 hours until it reopened. There were reports of 2 Tesla owners who ran out of power and were asking other stranded motorists for blankets etc as their families were freezing. This EV still has a way to go. At least if you run out of gas you can fill up a cherry can.
Old 5 January 2022, 07:55 AM   #139
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I read a story of the i-95 in Virginia from two days ago that shut down due to a blizzard and cars were immobile for 13 hours until it reopened. There were reports of 2 Tesla owners who ran out of power and were asking other stranded motorists for blankets etc as their families were freezing. This EV still has a way to go. At least if you run out of gas you can fill up a cherry can.
All about the narrative. Also reported we’re 10 or so ICE vehicles that ran out of gas. No gas stations around either to be able to walk to in the elements. A fully charged Tesla vs a quarter tank ICE or vice versa makes no difference. If you are not topped off and you get stuck, both will leave you stranded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrycan
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 08:16 AM   #140
zengineer
"TRF" Member

We had a storm like that here in Michigan last week. We all just kept driving.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 09:37 AM   #141
1st amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
All about the narrative. Also reported we’re 10 or so ICE vehicles that ran out of gas. No gas stations around either to be able to walk to in the elements. A fully charged Tesla vs a quarter tank ICE or vice versa makes no difference. If you are not topped off and you get stuck, both will leave you stranded.

Well there were reports of people walking to get gas and did in this instance. But your right, if in the middle of no where, both are up $hits creek

Old 5 January 2022, 09:40 AM   #142
1st amg

Another thought, when the roads open up, I guess a tow truck can bring you some fuel in a Jerry can to get you going…..but what are you to do in the EV car? Perhaps I am not educated enough in the topic, but roads open, how does the Tesla get moving with no charge station?

Old 5 January 2022, 10:34 AM   #143
Comewatchme
Banned

Watch: Me
Since the price keeps going up, I've always been contemplating getting one.
Comewatchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 11:38 AM   #144
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Another thought, when the roads open up, I guess a tow truck can bring you some fuel in a Jerry can to get you going…..but what are you to do in the EV car? Perhaps I am not educated enough in the topic, but roads open, how does the Tesla get moving with no charge station?

I was watching some cable show last week where they had a Cannonball type race from the east coast to the west coast with only non-Tesla EVs (Don't know why they didn't use Teslas as I came into the show about 10 minutes after the start). Anyway, on 2-3 occasions, a diesel generator mounted on a trailer and towed by a diesel power Ford truck came out and charged the cars on the side of the road.

On one of the stops overnight, the EVs wanted to charge at a charging station, but all 7 spots were completely occupied by Teslas, but not 1 of the Teslas were using the charger, only the parking spots designated for EVs.

I don't know if there's EV etiquette, but parking where there's a charger but you're not charging and using the stall for parking is bush league.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 12:36 AM   #145
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

As was said....a portable charging unit on a tow truck will be available....perhaps in the future with some solar panels or other energy producing setup.

I'm guessing that sometime in the near future there will be some sort of solar panels on the roofs of the cars for some generation of electricity as well.
Old 6 January 2022, 02:12 AM   #146
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post

And exactly why Hybrids with dual functionally are the way to go for any non-city drivers. The focus on EVs as a cure all by the masses is not well grounded.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 02:23 AM   #147
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Depends on location, but there are peak and off-peak charging times, just like many peoples home rates. On average, .24/kWh off peak and .48/kWh peak. I pay .19/kWh charging at home….which is less than half of what I’d spend on gasoline.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 07:58 AM   #148
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:

These guys offer a service that uses portable batteries to charge your car while stranded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=166gH7wLJbk
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 02:26 AM   #149
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
After much thought and research, regardless of the Supercharger ecosystem in place, I just can't bring myself to spend so much $$$$ on a car like a Tesla that "might" or "might not" be good in terms of quality . In looking down the line at what traditional car makers are rolling out, I think it's prudent to wait a bit longer.

I saw that GM is introducing a Silverado truck in the fall as a 2023 model that will have 400 mi range. Other companies are finding huge range gains in more battery density (as is Tesla). IMO, a 300 mi range should be minimum and car makers are looking at 5-600 mi range within a few years as being the norm.

Read today of a Shell gas station converting a traditional station to an EV charging station. Certainly will be the wave of the future.

I know gas prices are going to hurt this summer, and it looks like the EV wave is really gaining tremendous momentum. It will be interesting to sit back and see how the grid absorbs the kind of numbers we will be seeing. There is no way the grid can keep up with the kind of demand we're seeing in EVs.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 02:34 AM   #150
donas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
After much thought and research, regardless of the Supercharger ecosystem in place, I just can't bring myself to spend so much $$$$ on a car like a Tesla that "might" or "might not" be good in terms of quality . In looking down the line at what traditional car makers are rolling out, I think it's prudent to wait a bit longer.

I saw that GM is introducing a Silverado truck in the fall as a 2023 model that will have 400 mi range.
I'm with you 100%. I only personally know one person with a Tesla and the lack of customer service he is receiving is astounding on a $150G vehicle!

I did see the new Chevy is said to start at $100G though! I can all but guarantee a dealer mark-up of another $10-30G based on what they are doing now! I can buy a lot of gas with that