The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 December 2022, 01:14 PM   #121
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Easy. Google “Rolex stolen [insert city]” and some of the results will be from TRF. That’s how a lot of victims end up here
Also the OP has been a member here since 2017, so this would be an obvious place to share his experience.
Old 1 December 2022, 02:05 PM   #122
anodyne13
"TRF" Member

The reality is there is a certain amount of risk wearing your Rolex in public areas that probably increases and decreases by geographical location, watch model, etc. and you need to gauge your own comfort level. So what is an acceptable level of risk? If in Barcelona there is only a 1% chance of getting your watch stolen, then those of the opinion that you should just wear your watch may feel they are correct, but at the same time those who say it’s unsafe are also correct because 1% of all Rolex wearers is a LOT of stolen watches.
anodyne13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 02:16 PM   #123
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I don’t go to Barcelona anymore, it’s a thief heaven town. Going to Paris. Will be careful what I wear.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 02:18 PM   #124
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I don’t go to Barcelona anymore, it’s a thief heaven town. Going to Paris Christmas to NY’s . Will be careful what I wear.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 02:26 PM   #125
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
There are no meaningful statistics on luxury watch robbery. What’s been happening in Barcelona and a few other European cities has been a big problem for years now. We’ve started to see similar crimes in LA and New York, but not to the same extent.

While I don’t find it surprising that you’d seize opportunities to disagree with me, believe an irrelevant bar chart that Paul grabbed on Google, and relish in statistics that cast the United States in a negative light … I don’t understand why we have to provide bad quality information here.

The Barcelona issue with watches is well known, and if folks didn’t consistently sugar coat it, the OP might have gotten a warning before his trip.
But didnt you pick on post 73?

Sorry, but no, the chance of your Rolex being stolen is exactly the same in NYC as it is in Barcelona. Dudes who joined TRF a long time ago and have high post counts have already settled this issue, and there was even hard data and charts involved Please accept their Royal Edict and refrain from contradicting them until you’ve pledged and joined all giveaways.

And now are you being childish?

Do you have stats on watch robberies in LA and NYC...?

If not.....

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 02:51 PM   #126
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

Sorry, but no, the chance of your Rolex being stolen is exactly the same in NYC as it is in Barcelona. Dudes who joined TRF a long time ago and have high post counts have already settled this issue, and there was even hard data and charts involved Please accept their Royal Edict and refrain from contradicting them until you’ve pledged and joined all giveaways.

If not.....
I get that you think you own this place and can shoo away anyone you dislike with dummy and goodbye emojis, but again, I’ve already conceded that no such “stats” regarding NY or LA exist.

As someone who lives and works in Manhattan everyday, I can say the type of crime OP described remains extremely uncommon here but has increased over the past several years. I have nothing against Barcelona or its people, but do believe OP’s experience is part of an established pattern of luxury watch thefts in that city
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 03:04 PM   #127
dlrolex
"TRF" Member

This city is full of
dlrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 06:42 PM   #128
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Maybe keep it under a sleeve? Just a thought.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 06:49 PM   #129
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duquephart View Post
I’m not sure you’ve read the whole thread or just jumped in and commented- the OP said in one of his posts ‘ We spent four nights in a locals area without any issue. Within 2 hours of checking in at the W we were identified and then targeted. It was either the valet or someone at or real close to the hotel that tipped off the ring. We were in winter clothes, The watch was covered up, oyster flex band, nothing really stuck out without getting close’.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 10:51 PM   #130
77T

Quote:
As someone who lives and works in Manhattan everyday, I can say the type of crime OP described remains extremely uncommon here but has increased over the past several years. I have nothing against Barcelona or its people, but do believe OP’s experience is part of an established pattern of luxury watch thefts in that city
Probably you’ve never had a watch stolen. The OP has. So for him the crime rate is 100% in Barcelona.

But - generalizing crime is fraught with error - I agree.

I didn’t use Google for the stats - but I agree they were overall stats. You won’t get access to anything better without clearance.

Anecdotal experience is the opposite of generalization. Because it is skewed in the opposite direction. One’s personal experience can not be projected into a risk factor.

I’ve never had a problem In Manhattan myself either, but that doesn’t lessen my personal risk factor. We had 3 layers of security at July’s Formula E Grand Prix yet still had issues for participants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 11:13 PM   #131
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
This wasn't a random attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
I’m not sure you’ve read the whole thread or just jumped in and commented- the OP said in one of his posts ‘ We spent four nights in a locals area without any issue. Within 2 hours of checking in at the W we were identified and then targeted. It was either the valet or someone at or real close to the hotel that tipped off the ring. We were in winter clothes, The watch was covered up, oyster flex band, nothing really stuck out without getting close’.
Probably the concierge at the hotel provided the information. He sees every watch coming into the hotel and tips off the local mob. He gets a 10% cut from the profit.

Is this wrong? Absolutely. Is it wrong to wear your Rolex? Absolutely not. But OTOH no one should be shocked that this happens, it's human nature. You're in a place with lower GDP than back home and you're walking around with an automobile-priced watch on your wrist. The temptation is there.

Every collection needs to have a 'beater.' This could be a G-shock, Seiko, Tudor, Omega or whatever. No one gets their arm cut off for those. A Daytona, DD or AP will attract attention.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 11:38 PM   #132
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay7484 View Post
I feel like an idiot. I didnt do any research. Generally thought pick-pocket ok, keep items out of pockets that aren't zipped, no purses for the girls, keep your watch on at all times. This happened so quickly, I was trying to hit the guy with my free arm before I knew what was happening. Then they were gone. I am in Europe doing delivery on a Porsche. The car wasn't valeted at the first hotel we stayed at. We parked it in the hotels shared garage and then checked in. We spent four nights in a locals area without any issue. Within 2 hours of checking in at the W we were identified and then targeted. It was either the valet or someone at or real close to the hotel that tipped off the ring. We were in winter clothes, The watch was covered up, oyster flex band, nothing really stuck out without getting close. I went through the motions on the police report today. The police said there is a new, legit mafia, running the watch racket. They said 2-3 watches stolen off of a person a week.
That really sours the whole experience, I'm really sorry to hear you went through this. I just got back from a family vacation in Barcelona with my wife, bro/sis in-law, and our two boys. I would have been traumatized if this happened in front of them. We all would have. We stayed up off of Diagonal but walked down that direction towards the W a few times. Seriously, staff at every restaurant and at the place we stayed warned us of thieves and to be careful. I had my Czapek on a rubber strap under a sweater or jacket most of the time, like you. But situational awareness and covering your stuff clearly only goes so far. You got cased by an organized group who was waiting for an opportune moment, and it just sucks. Hopefully you're in a position to pick up a nice replacement when the opportunity arises.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 12:45 AM   #133
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
We were in Barcelona before the pandemic. Heard about its notoriety after we were home. I think we got lucky but it sure was a fantastic city to visit!
Old 2 December 2022, 01:09 AM   #134
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

If not.....
what a weird hill to die on
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 01:31 AM   #135
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Sorry to hear
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 02:28 AM   #136
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
This wasn't a random attack.

Probably the concierge at the hotel provided the information. He sees every watch coming into the hotel and tips off the local mob. He gets a 10% cut from the profit.

Is this wrong? Absolutely. Is it wrong to wear your Rolex? Absolutely not. But OTOH no one should be shocked that this happens, it's human nature. You're in a place with lower GDP than back home and you're walking around with an automobile-priced watch on your wrist. The temptation is there.

Every collection needs to have a 'beater.' This could be a G-shock, Seiko, Tudor, Omega or whatever. No one gets their arm cut off for those. A Daytona, DD or AP will attract attention.

Omega = beater?
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 02:41 AM   #137
LateLearner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 16750, AK
Pack animals (operating in packs) operate everywhere. Just because they didn’t single you out the last 20 times has zero predictive analysis on the next opportunity.

Sorry for your loss, but glad for your safety. And thank you for reminding us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LateLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 04:35 AM   #138
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Just terrible, and sorry to hear that happened. I was in Barcelona in 2019 and stopped into a few Rolex AD's...each one of them told me it was too dangerous to wear a Rolex on the streets these days in Barcelona. Sad times.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 05:18 AM   #139
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
Just terrible, and sorry to hear that happened. I was in Barcelona in 2019 and stopped into a few Rolex AD's...each one of them told me it was too dangerous to wear a Rolex on the streets these days in Barcelona. Sad times.
+1. Was just there for 3rd time mid November. Every store told me same thing. Rick Steve’s off pbs and others have been saying that for years about Barcelona. I wore my Fxd Tudor on NATO the whole time and waited to wear Rolex later when out of Barcelona.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 07:32 AM   #140
chtfse
"TRF" Member

I wore my Explorer II in Barcelona earlier this year with no issues. Didn't think much of it. Kept it under my cuff. Wore it to restaurants and such as well.
chtfse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 07:40 AM   #141
Za1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay7484 View Post
Walking home in a crowded area on the way back to the W hotel, I had a 116518 stolen off my wrist. I was with my girlfriend. Guy came up behind me as we we stopped at a crosswalk and grabbed my wrist. I had time to punch him, though he didn’t let go of my wrist and when he did he had the watch. I chased him and another guy on foot for three or four blocks and lost them. Champagne dial, black sub dials. Serial #P8637889 unusually small oysterflex band size E and E-0.

Sorry to hear that, hope it works as insured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Za1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 08:05 AM   #142
Clay7484
"TRF" Member

DonRickles, to answer your question, I’m posting this to reach someone other than a know-it-all that’s got 2,000 posts on a watch forum.
Clay7484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 10:25 AM   #143
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
I get that you think you own this place and can shoo away anyone you dislike with dummy and goodbye emojis, but again, I’ve already conceded that no such “stats” regarding NY or LA exist.

I have to laugh. So right on...that dude loves his emojis...

Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 11:20 AM   #144
Pandos
"TRF" Member

Sucks OP, I'm glad you and your loved one are safe.

Sounds like you were targeted given you say you kept a low profile, but ultimately you'll never know. Another negative is that it's soured your opinion of the city, and potentially its people and country, and clearly reinforced some peoples existing biases in this thread (not pointing fingers, I didn't read every comment, so if you think this is about you specifically, it probably is but not intentionally).

As other helpful comments have said, report it to the police, report it to your AD so that Rolex puts it on a list and I hope you have sufficient insurance.
Pandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 01:13 PM   #145
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Omega = beater?
Well it beats Rolex in many ways!

But are they stolen off the wrist? Maybe they are.... I'm not on Omega forums.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 01:55 PM   #146
forcinitijp
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 14060M/214270
I travel often to Barcelona, I can tell you that the city is a swarm of thieves, not just watches... they steal anything... now if you go with a watch of more than 7000 USD, happily displaying it in restaurants, hotels, at night Rambla etc etc.. unfortunately it will be a target for a robbery... the same thing happens in London, Paris, Buenos Aires, and in any big city with high unemployment rates added to unwelcome immigrants... you can see it here https: //instagram.com/watch_crime_ldn?igshid=NDk5N2NlZjQ=
forcinitijp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 02:39 PM   #147
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little machines View Post
Unfortunately we have to be vigilant today no matter what part of the world we travel. sorry about the robbery and most important you both were not harmed. I hope you find a little solace sooner than later .
Oh brother, let's dont single out anybody or anywhere. Well I think wearing a watch in the South Pole is pretty safe. Japan isnt a bad place either. As for Barcelona, my friend likes to vacation there and has not mentioned crime so this thread is interesting. I generally wear my Rolex everywhere but this thread is a good reminder to be mindful of situations and places.

OP sorry to hear about your loss. I can imagine how you feel being attacked and robbed.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 03:21 PM   #148
bbsaur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Sorry to hear, OP. A very sad state of affairs indeed. I hope you recover soon from this nasty experience.

People, Barcelona is notorious for watch thefts. Wear a cheap watch there, same goes with Paris, London, Rome, Brussels, NYC and other big cities with a relatively high crime index. This information is public, do your homework before travelling.

Ask yourself: is the pleasure of wearing a nice piece on the wrist in such places worth the risk of being mugged?
That's the good thing about China I guess, so many cameras around you feel completely safe wearing a richard mille or a rolex walking down a street drunk at 2am by yourself
bbsaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 03:33 PM   #149
ROLEX MAN

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
Traveled vastly through Europe, Spain "Las Ramblas: twice.

I must have been lucky, worn Daytona or Gmt!

But I really feel your pain!!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 05:48 PM   #150
joa
"TRF" Member

i was robbed (wife's handbag stolen from baby carriage by motorcyclist) in Barcelona exactly 10 years ago.

that was the only time i ever was confronted with street crime in my life.

no plans of ever going back to Barca for vacation, the pickpocket-tourist-exploitation-industry there is just too annoying