The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 August 2023, 02:59 PM   #121
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Sensible discussions!

See, we can all be grown ups about this. Love to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 August 2023, 03:01 PM   #122
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
In as much as I can I have not thrown the first stone in this argument- just stated my experience. I 100% believe there are those that have perfectly running watches, just as much so I know there are those that have not. I am in precisely zero position to claim the 32 is outright junk or outright awesome. Like everyone else here all I can do is look at what I have first hand knowledge of. Yours runs great, then great, yours does not, that’s unfortunate.

I currently have my 126619LB at the rehab clinic for an attitude adjustment, just like I did with my DD40. I have asked this question a couple of times, so I figure once more can’t do any more damage. How, if you were me, would you reconcile the number of bad examples I have had to the number of good examples? I have a pile of money tied up in this hobby and this brand. Is it so wrong for me to expect the advertised spec for a $40k time piece?

Attitude adjustment

Old 20 August 2023, 03:04 PM   #123
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well never really anal about checking any of my watches to the exact second in over 50 odd years of owning and enjoying wearing Rolex watches. Only got one watch with the 32 movement and recently done a check while wearing over the past 7 days and its run inside this new -2+2 spec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Glad you're happy! Here's to many decades of enjoyment
Summer 2019 GMT Master II blro, began slowing down a year ago, about 6 seconds slow a day now. I used to be able to have exact by resting it not different positions, but now it's slow in all 5 positions. Kept sliding down after about two years

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Old 20 August 2023, 03:04 PM   #124
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seo View Post
I think it’s reasonable for anyone to expect their watch to perform to spec. Rolex should be near the top for performance based on both their reputation and how they tout their technology etc.

All my 32xx when in spec were absurdly good. I just wanted them to stay that way for 10 years or so like all their previous designs.

I’m 4 bad out of 6, i guess I’m super unlucky. My cousin’s bad rate is substantially worse.
What is your cousin’s rate?
Old 20 August 2023, 03:23 PM   #125
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
Sensible discussions!

See, we can all be grown ups about this. Love to see it.

SHUT UP!!!!!!!!

Old 20 August 2023, 07:49 PM   #126
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 20 August 2023, 08:32 PM   #127
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Hmmm…. Maybe, haven’t thought of it like that. It’s a bit more complicated in my mind, (what there is left of it). To me, there are a group of people on here that are determined to portray the 32 as a failure, Rolex as a sinister corporation for not admitting it, recalling every single one and replacing them with Rainbow Daytonas. The lengths some entail to prove microsecond variations at different barametric pressures during variations in the Earth’s magnetic field (etc) is astounding. It is like a cult mob seeking out 32s as a work of the devil and anyone wearing using and enjoying a 32 is a foolish clod. So it was very refreshing for an owner to post he is very satisfied with his (as I am with mine). Then the “group” that i described chimed in with statistics that the 32 is a failure and his will eventually fail and suggesting he and anyone else that purchases one is a fool destined for disaster; I think they also blame the 32 for the current high prime lending rate. ANYWAY, if you see my reacting to a negative on a positive thread as hypocritical, I guess I can’t really explain how I see it as different. Write this date down TRF, it’s the first time I was wrong

OK, maybe it’s the second time
Wow Paul.
You threw everything but the kitchen sink into this one.
Economics, cult mobs, sinister corporation, work of the devil, rainbow Daytonas, barometric pressure, measurements to the micro second, foolish clods, the magnetic field of the Earth and the icing on the cake of the admission of your diminished cognition.

I was staying out of this thread due to the fact it was somebody's attempt at countering all the bad 32xx press.
But your post was the best yet

Keep em coming and what ever you're on, don't give it away as it's clearly working better than some over rated watch movements that are out there.
Old 20 August 2023, 08:49 PM   #128
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
Thank you @the dark knight .

Also, I couldn’t agree more with your sentiments.

+1
Old 20 August 2023, 08:51 PM   #129
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Wow Paul.
You threw everything but the kitchen sink into this one.
Economics, cult mobs, sinister corporation, work of the devil, rainbow Daytonas, barometric pressure, measurements to the micro second, foolish clods, the magnetic field of the Earth and the icing on the cake of the admission of your diminished cognition.

I was staying out of this thread due to the fact it was somebody's attempt at countering all the bad 32xx press.
But your post was the best yet

Keep em coming and what ever you're on, don't give it away as it's clearly working better than some over rated watch movements that are out there.
Old 20 August 2023, 11:17 PM   #130
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Hmmm…. Maybe, haven’t thought of it like that. It’s a bit more complicated in my mind, (what there is left of it). To me, there are a group of people on here that are determined to portray the 32 as a failure, Rolex as a sinister corporation for not admitting it, recalling every single one and replacing them with Rainbow Daytonas. The lengths some entail to prove microsecond variations at different barametric pressures during variations in the Earth’s magnetic field (etc) is astounding. It is like a cult mob seeking out 32s as a work of the devil and anyone wearing using and enjoying a 32 is a foolish clod. So it was very refreshing for an owner to post he is very satisfied with his (as I am with mine). Then the “group” that i described chimed in with statistics that the 32 is a failure and his will eventually fail and suggesting he and anyone else that purchases one is a fool destined for disaster; I think they also blame the 32 for the current high prime lending rate. ANYWAY, if you see my reacting to a negative on a positive thread as hypocritical, I guess I can’t really explain how I see it as different. Write this date down TRF, it’s the first time I was wrong

OK, maybe it’s the second time
Have to agree with you Paul myself been wearing Rolex watches for over 50 years but back then they were bought to wear and enjoy. Different story today with phone apps, timegraphers, seems like many of todays watches spend more time testing them for the exact second, and producing countless data than wearing them. In general Rolex watches get a very pampered life with special sprays, resting cloths, watch stands, and the rest of todays Rolex toys. Many today have caught the deadly [CCTTES}constantly checking time to exact second. They often state its because Rolex watches are expensive and should match everyday this precision quoted spec. But even back in the 1970s Rolex watches were expensive but back then the owners just wore them. But now we have words like amplitude plus many others. Must admit never been time anal and checked my watches to the exact second. Except a few weeks ago tested my only 32 movement watch and it was fine but would not worry if it was out by many seconds. As my life is not run to the exact second, and have far more important things to worry about. And thats everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive now thats far more important.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 20 August 2023, 11:44 PM   #131
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree with you Paul myself been wearing Rolex watches for over 50 years but back then they were bought to wear and enjoy...
Have to agree with Paul and PADI, tho will add...

Share the love, get dad a Rolex. Deep within our hearts we know he earned it

dad_rolex.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 21 August 2023, 12:36 AM   #132
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
The thing is, nobody needs a watch to tell the time anymore. If it’s grossly broken like magnetized or something that’s a problem and yes; it’s nice to have something with the accuracy of a quartz because you don’t have to fiddle with it.

But let’s face it, it’s basically jewelry.

As such, it needs to be pretty broken before I’d even send it in. Like the mainspring broke or something along those lines. I rarely wear one watch enough to even keep it wound these days, so as long as it winds up and keeps time for a day or two it’s fine for my purposes.

I only have one watch with the newer movement. It’s too new to say if it’s more or less robust than my older pieces.
Old 21 August 2023, 02:03 AM   #133
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
The thing is, nobody needs a watch to tell the time anymore. If it’s grossly broken like magnetized or something that’s a problem and yes; it’s nice to have something with the accuracy of a quartz because you don’t have to fiddle with it.

As such, it needs to be pretty broken before I’d even send it in. Like the mainspring broke or something along those lines. I rarely wear one watch enough to even keep it wound these days, so as long as it winds up and keeps time for a day or two it’s fine for my purposes.

I only have one watch with the newer movement. It’s too new to say if it’s more or less robust than my older pieces.
Whilst I agree that Most people don't need a watch to tell the time, If I'm spending $10,000 or significantly more on one, I expect it to perform as advertised on the basis that I'd rather look at my watch than my phone to know what time it is.

Otherwise, I'd have bought a bracelet for which I would receive much better value for money.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 21 August 2023, 02:05 AM   #134
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Have to agree with Paul and PADI, tho will add...

Share the love, get dad a Rolex. Deep within our hearts we know he earned it

Attachment 1386692
Thats a great picture Steven

(awesome hair too, by the way )

Old 21 August 2023, 02:27 AM   #135
Fahoo Forays
Banned

Watch: 16264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Whilst I agree that Most people don't need a watch to tell the time, If I'm spending $10,000 or significantly more on one, I expect it to perform as advertised on the basis that I'd rather look at my watch than my phone to know what time it is.

Otherwise, I'd have bought a bracelet for which I would receive much better value for money.

Well put. No point in owning a watch if it isn't accurate to the stated spec. Watches are for telling time, no matter what else you have that can do the same job. People who think it's just jewelry can pull their phones out of their purses all they want to. But why buy jewelry to begin with unless it's for your wife or GF?
Old 21 August 2023, 02:33 AM   #136
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I am an odd bird when I retired early in my life I gave up the need to carry a cell phone everywhere. The more advanced I got in my career the more I didn’t want people to easily get hold of me and found the dependency on a cell phone aggravating.
I on the other hand have a preference for analog from Steinway to Neumann tube microphones to mechanical wall clocks. I would have very advanced production studios but still have a mechanical wall clock in the reception area.

A mechanical watch on my wrist is exactly in tune with my value system so when dismissing an automatic watch as just jewelry these days doesn’t necessarily ring true for all lifestyles. My eccentricities can justify it as a valuable tool in my daily lifestyle in my mind.
Old 21 August 2023, 03:30 AM   #137
codecow
"TRF" Member

Yeah, but if it’s a tool you can just get a quartz, an Apple Watch, or something that auto syncs to an atomic clock like a Citizen for $500.

The point of luxury watches isn’t the time keeping performance or even function or robustness. Those days are long gone.

Versus a bracelet being a value, depends on your bracelet. Jewelry overall does not hold value compared to a SS Rolex.
Old 21 August 2023, 03:36 AM   #138
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
A mechanical watch on my wrist is exactly in tune with my value system so when dismissing an automatic watch as just jewelry these days doesn’t necessarily ring true for all lifestyles. My eccentricities can justify it as a valuable tool in my daily lifestyle in my mind.
Agreed
Old 21 August 2023, 03:46 AM   #139
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:

Watches are far more than just jewellery, to me.

Just goes to show, we are all in this wonderful hobby for very different reasons.

Old 21 August 2023, 03:50 AM   #140
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahoo Forays View Post
Well put. No point in owning a watch if it isn't accurate to the stated spec. Watches are for telling time, no matter what else you have that can do the same job. People who think it's just jewelry can pull their phones out of their purses all they want to. But why buy jewelry to begin with unless it's for your wife or GF?
Men wear jewelry too.

Perhaps Rolex’s DD 36 jigsaw shows where this is going. They took the day and date off the Day Date because those buyers don’t care and they don’t need it for that.

Sure it’s great to have a watch you don’t need to correct and constantly fiddle with, but consider something like a manual wind perpetual calendar. The point of the calendar is to not have to correct the date; however the watch has to be wound every day otherwise the complication is pointless. Still, many Patek collectors would consider the PCC “the” quintessential Patek to have. It’s not because people think it’s a really useful function.
Old 21 August 2023, 03:52 AM   #141
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah I mean it’s a 10k watch that even in spec performs worse than a cheap quartz watch you could get out of a vending machine. You’re not paying for the timekeeping performance.
Old 21 August 2023, 04:03 AM   #142
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

What about those who admire horology, gentlemen? Certainly desiring a Sky-Dweller because of the incredible movement is also a valid 'reason'. It was for me.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 21 August 2023, 04:10 AM   #143
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, but if it’s a tool you can just get a quartz, an Apple Watch, or something that auto syncs to an atomic clock like a Citizen for $500.

The point of luxury watches isn’t the time keeping performance or even function or robustness. Those days are long gone.

Versus a bracelet being a value, depends on your bracelet. Jewelry overall does not hold value compared to a SS Rolex.
My collection spans from $150 G shocks that sync with an atomic time signal to a WG Daytona. What I require each and every one of them to do is tell the time with, at worst, accuracy of at worst 10 spd for the non COSC automatics. Irrespective of how much they cost. And they all do.

Jewelry may not hold value like a SS Rolex does, but a SS bracelet costs $100, nit $10,000

And if investment growth is your end game, there are better ways to invest $10,000.

So tell me, what is the point of luxury watches, if telling the time with mechanical movement to a reasonable degree of accuracy (and lets use the COSC -4/+6 measure here) isn't one of the criteria?

Because I don't care what watch it is, -10 spd and worse is unacceptable to me in 2023. If I was gifted a SS Patek 5711 and it performed worse than that I wouldn't keep it.

PS. If your answer is to flex/show off/impress others then I have no further interest in continuing this conversation

Old 21 August 2023, 04:12 AM   #144
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Men wear jewelry too.

Perhaps Rolex’s DD 36 jigsaw shows where this is going. They took the day and date off the Day Date because those buyers don’t care and they don’t need it for that.

Sure it’s great to have a watch you don’t need to correct and constantly fiddle with, but consider something like a manual wind perpetual calendar. The point of the calendar is to not have to correct the date; however the watch has to be wound every day otherwise the complication is pointless. Still, many Patek collectors would consider the PCC “the” quintessential Patek to have. It’s not because people think it’s a really useful function.
If you think the DD Jigsaw was simply made for buyers that don't care what the day and date is you are completly missing the point of that watch

Old 21 August 2023, 04:19 AM   #145
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you think the DD Jigsaw was simply made for buyers that don't care what the day and date is you are completly missing the point of that watch
The interesting thing to me about it for the purposes of this discussion is the value of the complication.
Old 21 August 2023, 05:12 AM   #146
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:

The point of mechanical and automatic luxury watches is that they are anachronisms, that’s what makes them fun. And it’s the accuracy of these little machines that makes them amazing. A quartz watch or a wrist computer or a cel phone are without wonder because they are ubiquitous. A little machine composed of screws and jewels and springs and regulated by a human is a work of mechanical art and the fact that many of them can keep almost flawless time is an endless source of wonder.
Old 21 August 2023, 05:22 AM   #147
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The interesting thing to me about it for the purposes of this discussion is the value of the complication.
Speaking personally, I would find more value in the daily changing emotions depicted than having the watch display the day and date. It also has a beautiful enameled dial.

However, I would still want the watch to display the time with a good degree of accuracy.

Old 21 August 2023, 05:35 AM   #148
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Quote:

A flick of my wrist is more convenient than looking at the time on my phone, so I'd have to disagree with it being entirely jewellery.

I am also glad to hear stories of the 32xx running well over a number of years.
Old 21 August 2023, 06:25 AM   #149
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So tell me, what is the point of luxury watches, if telling the time with mechanical movement to a reasonable degree of accuracy (and lets use the COSC -4/+6 measure here) isn't one of the criteria?
That may be something that you want but it’s no longer the point.

The point of them today is similar to any other luxury object that offers some utility. A Hermes Birkin Bag, a Bentley, a $3000 toilet; etc…

The point is joy. If the object brings you joy, great.

If it’s +10 seconds instead of +6 and that bothers you enough that you don’t enjoy it, and you don’t want to deal with having it regulated… well I guess stick with the old stuff. It’s junk either way from a pure time keeping perspective so it’s the other qualities that seem important but to each his or her own.
Old 21 August 2023, 06:32 AM   #150
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That may be something that you want but it’s no longer the point.

The point of them today is similar to any other luxury object that offers some utility. A Hermes Birkin Bag, a Bentley, a $3000 toilet; etc…

The point is joy. If the object brings you joy, great.

If it’s +10 seconds instead of +6 and that bothers you enough that you don’t enjoy it, and you don’t want to deal with having it regulated… well I guess stick with the old stuff. It’s junk either way from a pure time keeping perspective so it’s the other qualities that seem important but to each his or her own.
Nah, you see that's where you're going wrong here. You are both presenting your opinion as fact and assuming everyone has the same value system as you do.

My cheap G shocks give me joy. Other non valuable possessions of mine give me joy. Monetary value - or luxury standing - is irrelevant to me in that respect.

By the way, I'm not suggesting that Rolexes are tools in any shape or form, however I am disputing your assertion that accuracy is irrelevant.

Closed Thread