The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2023, 04:45 AM   #121
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL31 View Post
My AD is a small family owned business. I simply wrote a nice letter of commendation to the owner about my SA. She was thrilled that I did so and the owner posted the letter for others to see.
That's a very nice thing to do! Praising people to their "bosses" is very helpful to them. I try to do that whenever it's deserved.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2023, 04:56 AM   #122
Beto737
"TRF" Member

It’s always nice to do a little extra for your SA when they come through for you. No gift or gesture is too small or too big. So long as it’s done in a tasteful way.

Now that times aren’t as good as they used to be for ADs, I’ve also expressed my ongoing desire to continue collecting watches. I’ve told my SA that I will continue to pursue the pieces that interest me just like I have in the past. It’s my way of letting them know I wasn’t here just for the hype..
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2023, 09:42 AM   #123
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I picked up a BLRO yesterday after only an 8 month wait. I know they could have chosen from literally dozens of their clients. Our SA will definitely be getting something over the holidays.

We give in appreciation to barbers, hairdressers and the like and our SA is no different.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2023, 09:48 AM   #124
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I ‘d gift them with my money, but they don’t have any stock to buy.
Maybe more of the flunky flippers will bankrupt themselves and stock will return to the shelves.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2023, 01:47 PM   #125
SlashRothstein
"TRF" Member

Here’s what sales people and store owners really like: selling, repeat business, and referrals. If you want to show your appreciation, the next time you are in the market, go back and spend $ on something non-Rolex. Refer family/friends/colleagues who will spend $ with them. Someone also brought up writing positive google and online reviews.
SlashRothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2023, 03:46 PM   #126
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashRothstein View Post
Here’s what sales people and store owners really like: selling, repeat business, and referrals. If you want to show your appreciation, the next time you are in the market, go back and spend $ on something non-Rolex. Refer family/friends/colleagues who will spend $ with them. Someone also brought up writing positive google and online reviews.

You can do all of those things and still give the SA a box of chocolates, *if that’s what you’d like to do*
bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 01:19 AM   #127
Philadelphialawyer1
"TRF" Member

take your receipt and leave
Philadelphialawyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 03:26 AM   #128
windingmybusiness
"TRF" Member

First born child and 2nd if they want it.
windingmybusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 03:32 AM   #129
Gooswyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT SUB EXP-II
After finished the payment, I usually asked the SA to go out for coffee break or dinner and the bill on me :)
Gooswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 05:23 AM   #130
APhound
"TRF" Member

Honestly, usually feel the other way around. In fact I’ve even MADE them take me out for an expensive dinner to end a negotiation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 09:57 AM   #131
ijoinedforthisthread
"TRF" Member

I usually send chocolates to my AD (female) as a thank you. I sent her flowers when she had surgery as well. Probably worth noting I have dealt with same person for 8 years and have received pretty much everything I asked for in good time.
ijoinedforthisthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 10:26 AM   #132
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
A handwritten card I'm sure would be nice. No one does that anymore. Chocolate may be nice. Something the SAs can share.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 09:19 PM   #133
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
My AD is a jewellery/watch store but it's also a independently owned store. I know the staff well due to this as staff turnover is non-existant. Usually if I'm picking up a watch and it's near Xmas time, I'll bring a couple of bottles for the staff to drink.

Sure, they make money out of me but I don't see any issue with a couple bottles of wine at that time of year.

At the end of the day, what they have sold me is worth more than what I paid to them out of the door. I only buy watches and only Rolex and the odd Tudor. Never bought anything to bundle or increase my spend to get watches quicker.
Old 21 November 2023, 11:58 PM   #134
faust munihausen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Tipping, in the US at least, is almost entirely a post Civil War phenomenon. It started with railroads not wanting to pay their black porters a fair wage. Once other industries saw this was viable it spread to them.

It would be reasonable to say it’s a remnant of racism and Jim Crow. So maybe by extension slavery.
But most people who say this are using it as an excuse not to tip in a society, where for better or worse, the reality is that tipped workers are not given a fair wage and if we don’t tip them it’s just making it harder for them to survive.
Then US workers should go on strike for fair wages so that they don't have to depend on tips.

Compare this to the work ethics in Japan where good service is to expected and tipping would be considered an insult.

faust munihausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 07:18 AM   #135
IBJanky
2024 Pledge Member

I gave my sales associate a bottle of mezcal, since he got me the exact watch I wanted on the day of my birthday.
IBJanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 05:17 AM   #136
gucci2022
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I got my first Rolex in less than a month and thanked my SA with some chocolate but she refused it because of the Boutique policy.
gucci2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 06:15 AM   #137
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
ADs need to blow down to us for giving them business
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 07:34 AM   #138
TikTok
"TRF" Member

My Ad are a great bunch. Not only interested in the sale but happy to chat when they have the time. Will likely be getting a couple of boxes of mince pies in the next week or so.
Old 6 December 2023, 12:49 PM   #139
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphialawyer1 View Post
take your receipt and leave

Yup! I think I did say “Thank you”, and then left with my receipt…..

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 02:36 PM   #140
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Keeping it discreet is always welcomed. Considering the atmospherics of the current conditions when buying at an AD, they didn't have to sell you the watch. It could have easily went to someone else. An electronic gift card sent via text is appreciated and appropriate for the matter.
Old 6 December 2023, 04:50 PM   #141
Sauzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snoopy
I remember when ADs thanked YOU for your business and patronage……walked into an AD near me to get a link removed from my 16570. The gal asked if I wanted to get my wife a big diamond for Christmas. I said do you think I can get an OP 41 green dial. She said not gonna happen. I said you got your answer to your question too. Thanks and bye.
Sauzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 07:57 PM   #142
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Whenever my AD get's me a watch I want, I fly him to Las Vegas and we spend a couple of days at The Mustang Ranch.

I've gotten a lot of watches.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 08:07 AM   #143
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve34 View Post
Hi everyone. Just curious how many of you thank your AD’s when your watch becomes available? Is this the done thing ie giving a gift or is a simple thank you enough?
I gave expensive scotch and wines when I picked up my AP's. Those were impossible to get and you really need to work your SA, it's a popularity contest there. For Rolex, I don't do the champagne nor do I do gifts, a handshake and my money is thanks enough.
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 11:26 AM   #144
SlashRothstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
You can do all of those things and still give the SA a box of chocolates, *if that’s what you’d like to do*
Sure but most posts don’t mention anything about helping their SA/AD with their business as a way of showing appreciation. SA will take new sales over chocolates 11x out of 10. Someone mentioned writing a glowing letter to their manager - that’s way more meaningful than a basket of pastries.

The basis of these relationships is business.

Willing to bet a lot of these so-called gifts get tossed or given away. If someone gave me a box of German chocolates = fade away jumper from across the office…into the can….well, would probably ask if anyone else wanted them first.
SlashRothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 12:17 PM   #145
baythan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
For a hard to get watch, I think buying the watch like you said is an enough thank you.
baythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 01:26 PM   #146
Spartan1
"TRF" Member

It’s up to you, however, in the current luxury watch market, should my AD choose to sell me a highly sought after timepiece, you better believe that I’m showing up with a bottle of Dom Perignon! It’s no longer a game of who has the discretionary income to acquire a Daytona, Pepsi, or Sky-Dweller, or necessarily, a generous purchase history. Rather, your chance of landing your grail is more dependent on the relationship you have fostered with your AD, and how successful you have been in swaying their discretion. Thus, don’t wait until you’ve been ‘gifted’ your long awaited watch, to share your gratitude. Instead, sell your AD on why they should offer you the next impossible to get timepiece, by nurturing your relationship with him/her on a regular or consistent basis.
Spartan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 01:42 PM   #147
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

It's hard. I would like to do this but when they are all fit at the AD and you don't know what they enjoy to drink it complicates it. I like to give a gift that has high odds of enjoyment.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 01:55 PM   #148
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I don’t thank my AD for individual pieces. On occasion I have bought things for the store if I felt like it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 02:13 PM   #149
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hmmmm.

More importantly.

Would I pledge TRF $30/year to be able to discuss issues like this and have access to all the other information that is available?

E.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 02:46 PM   #150
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Perhaps a better thread is what did your AD send you for Xmas? So far I got a bottle of Billecart and a box of Teucher chocolates.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote