The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 June 2021, 05:04 AM   #1561
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Bring George Russell back to Mercedes. Pay off Botas' contract.

You know that thought has been in the back of Toto’s head as plan B if they are still losing and Bottas is underperforming after Hungry. Put George in the Sim for 4 weeks and watch what happens in Belgium.

Though I don’t think Lewis would be a big fan of that plan, but that’s life as a paid driver when the team is down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 06:56 AM   #1562
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

As much as I love and respect Hamilton big time (both on and off track activities), I don't care what he feels about a change in teammates. Botas is cool and all, yet the TEAM deserves the best chance to win. Botas won't earn driver's championship so no loss to the team there, thus it comes down to who can get the team the most Manufacturer points.

I'm not sure who is the better development driver between the two. Is George any good?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 07:40 AM   #1563
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
As much as I love and respect Hamilton big time (both on and off track activities), I don't care what he feels about a change in teammates. Botas is cool and all, yet the TEAM deserves the best chance to win. Botas won't earn driver's championship so no loss to the team there, thus it comes down to who can get the team the most Manufacturer points.

I'm not sure who is the better development driver between the two. Is George any good?
Young George stepped into the Merc last year for 1 race when Hamilton got Covid. He didn't fit in the car, had to wear shoes a size too small because his feet didn't fit into the footwell, he pushed the wrong buttons on his qualifying run and was only .1 sec. off Bottas in qualifying.

During the race, Young George soundly beat Bottas until the Mercedes pit stop made a meal of his pit stop by putting on the wrong tires which required him to come in for an extra stop and then he suffered a cut tire.

If you look at the results of Young George in qualifying in the Williams, he's out qualified all his teammates each and every time and brings the car up the grid more than it should. George will start P10 tomorrow.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 08:09 AM   #1564
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
George will start P10 tomorrow.
Am sure this situation will change for the better
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 28 June 2021, 01:09 AM   #1565
walds11
"TRF" Member

Max again
Old 28 June 2021, 01:49 AM   #1566
Peter Toronto
"TRF" Member

I’m not sure if any of you saw the post race interviews, but Danny Ric was wearing an RM that must have been slipped over his wrist right before the interview. The deployant clasp was open. While he was speaking I was waiting for it to fly off of his wrist as he was waving his arms around.

Peter Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 01:49 AM   #1567
Malak
"TRF" Member

Max will be a champion.
Malak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 05:00 AM   #1568
bremersm
Banned

I am just happy to watch Louise lose each week. I am sure he will continue to complain that F1 is not woke enough and this is the reason he is getting his tail kicked. Bottas is a joke an needs to be done. Unfortunately Toto the Louise lap dog understands that George Russell would beat Louise every weekend in the same car.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 05:20 AM   #1569
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremersm View Post
I am just happy to watch Louise lose each week. I am sure he will continue to complain that F1 is not woke enough and this is the reason he is getting his tail kicked. Bottas is a joke an needs to be done. Unfortunately Toto the Louise lap dog understands that George would beat Louise every weekend in the same car.
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 05:26 AM   #1570
OttawaSteve
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
Quote:
I am just happy to watch Louise lose each week. I am sure he will continue to complain that F1 is not woke enough and this is the reason he is getting his tail kicked. Bottas is a joke an needs to be done. Unfortunately Toto the Louise lap dog understands that George would beat Louise every weekend in the same car.
I think some people follow F1 in an alternate universe.
Old 28 June 2021, 05:27 AM   #1571
bremersm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaSteve View Post
I think some people follow F1 in an alternate universe.

Would love to hear what you mean since you called me out. Happy to discuss this.

Old 28 June 2021, 06:54 AM   #1572
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Max and RBR get stronger and stronger each race weekend and are now doing it on various types of circuits.

Great drive by LeClerc after his early non-scheduled pit stop.

Feel bad for Danny Ric as he was running well until the loss of power and gave 4-5 spots away before being back on song.

What bad luck for George Russell. He was running a solid 8th before the mechanical issues.

There's little doubt that Young George will be named the Mercedes 2nd driver sometime this summer for 2022 season. IF and it's a BIG IF,.... If Mercedes allows George to race Hamilton, I believe that George COULD best Hamilton. Hamilton does have the luxury of experience but George has fought and struggled for everything he's got for 3 years and the Merc will feel like a dream to drive. The other factor is that the 2022 car will be new to both drivers. It'll be close IMO.
Old 28 June 2021, 07:24 AM   #1573
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This will be a great opportunity to see how the teams/drivers can adjust between race weekends at the same track. VER has been able to drive better with less downforce for at least last 3 races. HAM lost time to him last weekend in the corners with higher downforce package.

I think VER has better fast-twitch physical skills now - more controlled and strategic than HAM. Can’t say what else is happening until after they pass parc ferme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 10:09 AM   #1574
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Tire compounds will be softer for next weekend so if the temps are near what they were today, a 2 stop strategy is a given.... unless it rains...
Old 28 June 2021, 12:34 PM   #1575
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am just happy to watch Louise lose each week. I am sure he will continue to complain that F1 is not woke enough and this is the reason he is getting his tail kicked. Bottas is a joke an needs to be done. Unfortunately Toto the Louise lap dog understands that George Russell would beat Louise every weekend in the same car.
Bingo. And if that happens maybe they can change the cars back to silver as they should be.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 12:48 PM   #1576
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Would love to hear what you mean since you called me out. Happy to discuss this.
Well, I don't see how him talking about social issues has anything to do with his performance. Also, his name is Lewis.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 10:20 PM   #1577
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Not to distract from the HAM VER love fest, but need to plant my Gasly flag here. I think he has taken his ‘demotion’ in stride and driving the wheels off that AlphaTauri. Excited to watch his career continue to develop (and get after some qualifying this morning).
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 10:49 PM   #1578
Lol-x
Facilitator

I get the feeling that Ricciardo must be harbouring deep regret for not staying at RedBull where he would have been well and truly at the pointy end of the competition.
Instead, he is languishing mid to back end of field. On the telemetry he is slower top speed than Norris and brakes with less pressure than Norris. He really needs to put his head down and work hard, and less joking around with a casual attitude he seems to convey when interviewed.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2021, 12:05 AM   #1579
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

That was interesting (qual). Now we just need some rain during the race

Old 4 July 2021, 12:55 AM   #1580
Lol-x
Facilitator

Norris qualifying 2nd was incredible, such a talented drive by him.

Norris has massively improved this year as a driver and having a Mercedes engine has helped too.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2021, 12:56 AM   #1581
77T

The Official Formula One Thread!

Agree with Qually being interesting. The standout performance to me was NOR in Q2 & Q3 - very near perfect hitting marks. The downforce package didn’t support pole - but the Q2 on middle tire will make his race strategy better methinks.

As for rain - ah, that would be elegant - but only in the last quarter of the race for my taste. That’s so the tire strategy can play out before wets or inters are fitted.

I noted Merc lowered the rake and flovis’d it for brake cooling. That could be a real test for HAM - he failed to manage it in Q3 and missed pole or even front row. Consistency will be the telling factor in tomorrow’s race when the tires start sliding around late in their segment strategy.

Hey, don’t know if anyone in US noticed this - shifting gears for this…for the first time in 70 years (or as long as my poor memory can recall) - 4th of July motorsports will all be on Road Courses and not ovals.

Indy at Mid-O, NASCAR at Road America - so it’ll be refreshing to see left’s & right’s for a change!

Old 4 July 2021, 03:29 AM   #1582
bremersm
Banned

I am loving the MB meltdown. It couldn't happen to a better team and driver.

Lando is doing great things this year.

I wonder if Louis got it written into his new contract a no Russel rule. I would love to see George in a Mclaren next year.
Old 4 July 2021, 11:56 PM   #1583
FLGatorM5

Sorry but not a fan of the NOR penalty. You try to pass on the outside and put 2 wheels off…
Old 5 July 2021, 01:21 AM   #1584
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorM5 View Post
Sorry but not a fan of the NOR penalty. You try to pass on the outside and put 2 wheels off…
Yeah, that was a stupid penalty but at least the stewards were consistently stupid.

Tsunoda was stupid but he was also consistently stupid.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 01:23 AM   #1585
FLGatorM5

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Yeah, that was a stupid penalty but at least the stewards were consistently stupid.

Very true.
Old 5 July 2021, 02:07 AM   #1586
77T

The NOR penalty was based on the video we saw. But it is a hotly debated matter when one attempts the outside pass.

If the driver on the inside is behind at corner exit, they must leave space for the driver on the outside.

If the driver on the inside is ahead at corner exit, it is the duty of the driver on the outside to back out or take evasive action to avoid a collision.

However, when drivers are equally side-by-side, each has a shared responsibility to afford racing room on the marked course. That’s how NOR was judged…

BTW - 8 drivers are under investigation after the race due to their behavior after the collision on the last lap. These are the cars who allegedly didn’t slow down in a DWY zone.

Old 5 July 2021, 02:20 AM   #1587
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, it seems emotions and driving others off-track was a sad part of the race. Am glad the Stewarts are investigating.

Old 5 July 2021, 02:22 AM   #1588
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
There was a crash on the last lap!?
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 12:33 PM   #1589
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post

The kid can have a tremendous future if he thinks a little more.... no excuse for doing the same mistake twice in a row.

Shocking how not having a car that is 1.7 per lap car faster than the 2nd fastest car makes mortals of "great" drivers.... but I don't count Mercedes out just yet. They had a hard time in Austria, but Silverstone has long, fast corners, a strength for Mercedes over the years. Should Max happen to win there, then we can say that perhaps Mercedes have met their match.

I can't help but wonder how well the McLaren's will run at low downforce tracks like Monza or long straight tracks with medium downforce like Spa.

Very impressive of young George holding off and defending a tenacious 2 time world champion in Fernando Alonso for as long as he did in a Williams... The kid will give Hamilton fits next year if they allow him to race.
Old 5 July 2021, 01:13 PM   #1590
Mifune
Banned

what a fantastically great race... the emergence of Lando and reemergence of Honda McLaren is awesome. I do think two of the three penalties were uncalled for... SPECIALLY the first lap penalty on Perez... first lap makes a difference.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote