The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2011, 05:21 AM   #151
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
$300 ouch but that's about what I figured. What's the rest time in between sets for the German training? 2:30?
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 05:26 AM   #152
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
$300 ouch but that's about what I figured. What the rest time in between sets for the German training? 2:30?
60s and can prolong to 90s on squats. Getting the exact right weight is the trick.I went about 2kgs to light on the D/Bs when doing D/B presses for chest.Next time I will know. Chest feels tender,so got a good volume overload,it seems.Can also do a 3x 10 isolation exercise after the 10/10.So,I did some standing cable flyes.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 05:28 AM   #153
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Also did Dips for triceps 10/10a d 3x10 press downs afterwards.
Old 25 May 2011, 05:38 AM   #154
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Also did Dips for triceps 10/10a d 3x10 press downs afterwards.
Weighted dips are my number 1 tri exercise.
Old 25 May 2011, 06:16 AM   #155
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
Nice to see a lot of fit TRFers. As my username states I am an avid runner. I currently avg. about 70 miles a week but I have been as high as 120 miles a week though it has been a while since I have been that high. I haven't been running competitively as much as I used to. I also lift 3 days a week and do push-ups everyday. I am currently up to 7 sets of 50 push-ups with a one minute rest in between each set. I am about to push it to 8 sets.
That is CRAZY

I felt pretty good because I BIKED 122 miles last week, and 42 so far this week. I can't imagine running 120 miles per week. Kudos to you.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 07:03 AM   #156
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Weighted dips are my number 1 tri exercise.
Dips,close grip benchpress and med ball press -ups
Old 25 May 2011, 10:07 AM   #157
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by threemonkeys View Post
Keep it up. If it helps - tell us what your workout plan is for each day. That way, you have to follow-up and let us know that you did it.
Well this morning I did hill intervals on the runner for 35 mins going from 9km-14km speed. Every now and then I would take it up to 23km for 30 secs. Starting to drink more water to get back to taking in 3 litres minimum. Having smaller portions again and resisting the junk food, today has being high in protein roast chicken and some pitta bread for lunch, tea and a snack. Breakfast was porridge and had cup of soup for a bed time snack.

This morning I am going to run 5km at a speed of 12km. Then I am going to go for a gentle tab with 15kg for 45 mins.

Right off to bed for some shut eye.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 10:10 AM   #158
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
Dips,close grip benchpress and med ball press -ups
Give close grip decline presses a try if you haven't. They're great.
Old 25 May 2011, 11:56 AM   #159
girltime
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Sub 16613
Nice thread. So far I've lost 18 lbs just by eating right and doing Weight Watchers on-line. I'd say all of the weight I've lost is due to just eating right and smaller portions. Next step, is for me to incorporate exercise on a daily basis and committing myself to it.
girltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 01:41 PM   #160
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
Well this morning I did hill intervals on the runner for 35 mins going from 9km-14km speed. Every now and then I would take it up to 23km for 30 secs. Starting to drink more water to get back to taking in 3 litres minimum. Having smaller portions again and resisting the junk food, today has being high in protein roast chicken and some pitta bread for lunch, tea and a snack. Breakfast was porridge and had cup of soup for a bed time snack.

This morning I am going to run 5km at a speed of 12km. Then I am going to go for a gentle tab with 15kg for 45 mins.

Right off to bed for some shut eye.
Try to include prot/carbs in every meal.7 meals a day.Small portions.Water .... cannot drink enough. As a runner carbs will play a more important role than prot.Al least 1gr prot/day minimum.Its actually a lot .... 100gr chicken breast contains 32gr prot,100gr Hake =18gr.I egg white=6-7gr.
Old 25 May 2011, 01:47 PM   #161
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girltime View Post
Nice thread. So far I've lost 18 lbs just by eating right and doing Weight Watchers on-line. I'd say all of the weight I've lost is due to just eating right and smaller portions. Next step, is for me to incorporate exercise on a daily basis and committing myself to it.
Less 18 lbs is Get into an exercise routine.Just 30min of effective exercise/day will have fantastic results.Eg 10min high intensity cycling,10min high intensity stepper machine and 10min rowing on a good machine like a Concept II.Thats just an example of a legio of choices
Old 25 May 2011, 01:48 PM   #162
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Quote:
German Volume training (Many other names for it too)

Principle : Volume overload of the muscle.

10 sets of 10 reps with a weight that 60% of your one rep max.Eg.Chest ,do a multijointed exercise,only one !! eg. Bench press or D/B flat presses.60s resting ,between sets.

Suggestion is day 1 ; Chest and back Day 2; Shoulders and arms and day 3 legs/abs.

Do for 6 weeks.

Apparantly results are very impressive.

I'm definitely interested in this German Volume Training... so do I only do a single exercise for each muscle group?

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 01:49 PM   #163
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Give close grip decline presses a try if you haven't. They're great.
The gym removed the decline benches.They claim that countrywide they had more than 60 injuries.The members in my gym are not impressed.
Old 25 May 2011, 01:53 PM   #164
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
I'm definitely interested in this German Volume Training... so do I only do a single exercise for each muscle group?
Correct.Multijointed exercise.Eg Benchpress for chest,squats for legs,barbell curls for biceps etc.The principle is to use a weight to volume overload the muscle group,not so much a load overload.It is said,that results are fantastic.Going to test it and see how it works for me.Chest and triceps tender this morning,but could have picked a slightly heavier weight for chest.Next time
Old 25 May 2011, 02:44 PM   #165
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
So I have officiallly re-started P90X. Just finished day 2 of this 90 day program. In the past, I would get as far as 5 weeks into the program (working out 6 days/week) and would have to take a week off as my body said 'no more.' Even so, I really felt like a got great results (dropped 35 pounds).

So now I'm going public and saying I'm starting this bad boy again. Very self-indulgent, but I think posting my goal here is going to make me work just that much harder to achieve it. I have a slight feeling I may not make it through the whole program as I don't want to injure myself. But I'm going for it and plan on periodically posting an update of my progress. Of course, my ultimate goal is to get good enough results that I feel proud to post a shirtless pic here on the forum. Who knows about that...we'll see.

Does anyone else want to post their goal and keep us in the loop on your progress? I think good energy and vibes are very contagious. Let's use eachother (in a good way, of course).
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 10:27 PM   #166
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
That is CRAZY

I felt pretty good because I BIKED 122 miles last week, and 42 so far this week. I can't imagine running 120 miles per week. Kudos to you.
Thank you! I used to be pretty competitive and had a goal of hitting the US Olympic Trials Marathon standard of 2:22 for the marathon. Unfortunately I never got there but it was fun training and racing trying to get there. I ran cross country and track in college and then when I was in grad school I worked part time in a running store so my life was all about running and it was pretty easy to get the miles in since I had a couple of great training partners at the running store. Not sure if I could have done all those miles solo.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 10:31 PM   #167
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threemonkeys View Post
So I have officiallly re-started P90X. Just finished day 2 of this 90 day program. In the past, I would get as far as 5 weeks into the program (working out 6 days/week) and would have to take a week off as my body said 'no more.' Even so, I really felt like a got great results (dropped 35 pounds).

So now I'm going public and saying I'm starting this bad boy again. Very self-indulgent, but I think posting my goal here is going to make me work just that much harder to achieve it. I have a slight feeling I may not make it through the whole program as I don't want to injure myself. But I'm going for it and plan on periodically posting an update of my progress. Of course, my ultimate goal is to get good enough results that I feel proud to post a shirtless pic here on the forum. Who knows about that...we'll see.

Does anyone else want to post their goal and keep us in the loop on your progress? I think good energy and vibes are very contagious. Let's use eachother (in a good way, of course).
Good !! Goal orientated commitent ..... Takes it to another level.Support is just a forum away.:-)
Old 26 May 2011, 12:21 AM   #168
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
Right I went out tabbing up and down some hills for an hour, then treadmill for 30 mins 12-16km throughout. So quite chuffed, totally agree I am back on protein and I have carbs with all meals. I usually have 5-6 meals will try 7 and see how it goes.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 01:46 AM   #169
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
I'm doing chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shoulders split, then 3 days off, repeat. So M-T-W, off Th-Fri-Sat, repeat.

By Thursday I'm raring to go. My question then: Is there benefit to doing it this way vs just taking a 4 day break and just doing each split one day a week? At my current split it's just slightly less than a week, but I feel rested.
axxeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 02:04 AM   #170
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxeman01 View Post
I'm doing chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shoulders split, then 3 days off, repeat. So M-T-W, off Th-Fri-Sat, repeat.

By Thursday I'm raring to go. My question then: Is there benefit to doing it this way vs just taking a 4 day break and just doing each split one day a week? At my current split it's just slightly less than a week, but I feel rested.
For a three day split I would go mon wed and fri.

Try chest back mon

Legs wed

Shoulders bis and tris fri. Do abs/core each workout with cardio. Personally I hate 3 day splits.
Old 26 May 2011, 02:41 AM   #171
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Quote:
Good !! Goal orientated commitent ..... Takes it to another level.Support is just a forum away.:-)
Thanks for feedback, Chris. It's great seeing what people are up to here at TRF. Funny - I find myself now spending more time reading other people's fitness posts than checking out the latest in the watch section of this site.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 04:47 AM   #172
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
Right I went out tabbing up and down some hills for an hour, then treadmill for 30 mins 12-16km throughout. So quite chuffed, totally agree I am back on protein and I have carbs with all meals. I usually have 5-6 meals will try 7 and see how it goes.
5/6/7... I dont thimk its that important.5 times per day is good.As long as its not the classic three times per day meals,because binging and eating rubbish in between,are most peoples downfall when it comes to dieting plans.The other BIG mistake in nearly all diets/normal eating habits is the lack of enough prot.Most people do not even come close to 1gr/kg/day.Too much bad carbs and animal/saturated fat based normal eating habits.How often people want to lose weight and they think they are doing a fantastic job of eating less only to lose 1kg in a month ?????

I would suggest including prot with every meal,even if its just 2-3 egg whites.

With a busy schedule,its not always practical to consume 1-3gr prot/kg/day.Here,a good quality whey shake comes in.... ON Original Whey a great choice ...Rocky Road especially good tasting. 1 scoop = 24gr.

Enjoy those hills and burn the treadmill !!
Old 26 May 2011, 04:52 AM   #173
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxeman01 View Post

My favourite split Three day split ...... chest/triceps,biceps/back and shoulders legs.Abdominals and core with cardio every workout. Work usually dictates how many times per week,sometimes I get to go 6 times per week,sometimes three.Thats also good,not having a fixed pattern also keeps the muscles guessing.
Old 26 May 2011, 05:02 AM   #174
Brunotheboxer
Banned

I could never do shoulders and legs together. After doing legs I feel like puking sometimes. In fact I go against the norm and train legs on Mondays when I'm freshest. It's great cause everyone else is doing chest. You must have serious endurance Chris.
Old 26 May 2011, 05:16 AM   #175
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I could never do shoulders and legs together. After doing legs I feel like puking sometimes. In fact I go against the norm and train legs on Mondays when I'm freshest. It's great cause everyone else is doing chest. You must have serious endurance Chris.
Shoulders first,then legs I used to do chest and legs together but found that too tough and the session became too long.

Very true .....Mondays EVERYBODY is doing chest ......and the other most overtrained muscle in gym .... THE BICEP ....and then, whenever one looks at the "leg department"....its always nearly empty !!!

Endurance ....one advantage of hitting the 40s...endurance increases !! ...but I will refrain from going into recovery time
Old 26 May 2011, 05:24 AM   #176
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

So,the Volume Training continues.....did biceps and back tonight.

10x10 barbell curls and 3X10 machine biceps curls
10x10 Lat pull down(front) and 3x10 seated low pulley rowing.

The be honest the 3x10s were a waste of time.. there wasnt much left,which means I did the 10x10s well My biceps feel dead now,BUT tomorrow I know its going to hurt

Did my 10min high intensity interval cycling and 10x10 reverse abd crunches on a bench,straight legs for lower abdominals also.

Two days now on the volume training and I think there is merit to the volume load principle.Will see how this progresses and turn out.
Old 26 May 2011, 06:10 AM   #177
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Do you find it difficult keeping track/counting ten sets? After about 5 sets I'd probably lose count myself.

Do you train bis before back? If so doesn't this take away from the strength of you back workout somewhat?

Also what is your thought about walking about 2 miles on my day off? Conterproductive to bbing or benefit at all. I like to take my dog for about a 1 miles walk every day or so but I can't really run with her cause she's getting old and the weather is hot now. Thanks for your answers pal.
Old 26 May 2011, 06:26 AM   #178
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you find it difficult keeping track/counting ten sets? After about 5 sets I'd probably lose count myself.

Do you train bis before back? If so doesn't this take away from the strength of you back workout somewhat?

Also what is your thought about walking about 2 miles on my day off? Conterproductive to bbing or benefit at all. I like to take my dog for about a 1 miles walk every day or so but I can't really run with her cause she's getting old and the weather is hot now. Thanks for your answers pal.
Always did back before biceps,now biceps before back.In a while I will change it around.I believe in doing the pushes together and the pulls together.I guess there is merit to the antagonist principle too.

Nope,count to ten is fine.I watched the PAM 111 tonight for the 60s between sets.

Walking is fine.What about doing a nice cardio session on the days that you dont do weights ?? Obviously a marathon runner is very unlikely to have legs like a BB,BUT the BB will also not run a marathon.I ALWAYS do the cardio before weights.Nice and warmed up for weights.Doing cardio after weights may be the modern outlook,but it has never worked for me.Doing weights first leads to idling on the cardio .Also,I believe in shorter intense,interval cardio,NOT in idling minutes away on cardio at low intensity.Rather 15 min intense than 30min at low resistance.
Old 26 May 2011, 06:28 AM   #179
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Yeah I got to get into more cardio on my off days. Thanks for the help.
Old 26 May 2011, 06:33 AM   #180
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I got to get into more cardio on my off days. Thanks for the help.
10min cycling,10min stepper,10min rowing = 30min of very effective cardio.Great routine and time effective too.