The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 October 2021, 08:57 PM   #151
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

So what's the plan, relist it again? You'll get your money, just sell it to the other bidders who offered more.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 01:35 AM   #152
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
So what's the plan, relist it again? You'll get your money, just sell it to the other bidders who offered more.
I've relisted it already...

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234211878185
JoJo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:20 AM   #153
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Are you specifically stating in the new listing that multiple attempts have been made to open the case back and it cannot be opened? I think any new buyer should be made FULLY aware of this material fact. You are only $2 into it, so full disclosure is your friend in this situation to try to avoid similar outcomes. A blanket "needs restoration" statement is too general and creates the impression that restoration is indeed possible. This is a piece of junk and should be purchased for parts. Heck, I would skip this and just part it out yourself. Win win and then the buyers for the parts know exactly what they are getting into. Again, your sunk cost is $2. You can sell the crown, hands, bezel insert, bezel, plexi maybe, and then the POS case with dial and movement inside "as is" and wish the buyer good luck opening to see what treasure is inside.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:19 AM   #154
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
Are you specifically stating in the new listing that multiple attempts have been made to open the case back and it cannot be opened? I think any new buyer should be made FULLY aware of this material fact. You are only $2 into it, so full disclosure is your friend in this situation to try to avoid similar outcomes. A blanket "needs restoration" statement is too general and creates the impression that restoration is indeed possible. This is a piece of junk and should be purchased for parts. Heck, I would skip this and just part it out yourself. Win win and then the buyers for the parts know exactly what they are getting into. Again, your sunk cost is $2. You can sell the crown, hands, bezel insert, bezel, plexi maybe, and then the POS case with dial and movement inside "as is" and wish the buyer good luck opening to see what treasure is inside.
I'm going to safely assume you did not click on the link and read the listing's title and/or description?

I never once was, nor am I trying this go around to purposely mislead potential buyers. And what was paid for the watch originally is irrelevant. I'm clearly not a watch enthusiast like most here and am simply striving to re-sell a damaged watch for/as parts, period! I don't know how much more clear I can be or my listing can be in the effort to do such.
Old 2 October 2021, 03:48 AM   #155
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo78 View Post
I'm going to safely assume you did not click on the link and read the listing's title and/or description?

I never once was, nor am I trying this go around to purposely mislead potential buyers. And what was paid for the watch originally is irrelevant. I'm clearly not a watch enthusiast like most here and am simply striving to re-sell a damaged watch for/as parts, period! I don't know how much more clear I can be or my listing can be in the effort to do such.
No worries! No, I didn't click the new link, so I probably overstepped on that. Just wanted to give my $0.02 to try to help avoid a sh#t show like the one you had to deal with on the last attempt with that crazy lunatic buyer! Good luck with it and I would love to see more pics of your other antiques. Those are fascinating.
Old 2 October 2021, 06:08 AM   #156
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No worries! No, I didn't click the new link, so I probably overstepped on that. Just wanted to give my $0.02 to try to help avoid a sh#t show like the one you had to deal with on the last attempt with that crazy lunatic buyer! Good luck with it and I would love to see more pics of your other antiques. Those are fascinating.
No, I totally understand and most appreciate your concerns, I just don't believe the buyers get it and/or understand?

Maybe out of greed or some just can't read? But the amount of questions/retracted offers leaves one to shake his/her head. I get it, everyone wants a deal, but I wish I can post the amount of, or at least some of the questions regarding this piece from buyers, it's a bit shameful. :(

Anyway, thank you and I'll post a recent tiny antique acquisition here soon.
Old 2 October 2021, 07:15 AM   #157
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, I totally understand and most appreciate your concerns, I just don't believe the buyers get it and/or understand?

Maybe out of greed or some just can't read? But the amount of questions/retracted offers leaves one to shake his/her head. I get it, everyone wants a deal, but I wish I can post the amount of, or at least some of the questions regarding this piece from buyers, it's a bit shameful. :(

Anyway, thank you and I'll post a recent tiny antique acquisition here soon.
Probably a bit of both, I would imagine!

My mother used to do a lot of antique hunting, specifically crystal and sterling silver pieces. She had a good sense of the different time periods when patterns and styles were issued and knew all of the different price points in her head. This was before the internet made it easy for people to research these things, so it gave her a huge leg up on people. She would often find sellers at antique shops or at events who had very valuable pieces but they didn't have a complete set, or more often they just didn't know what they had and were selling it because "it was grandma's" or whatever the case was. She regularly would find a number of stems of something that she paid a couple bucks for that were worth over $50 or more per stem (back in the 80s and 90s) because the people literally just didn't know any better. By knowing her patterns, she was then able to acquire and piece together complete sets of the most amazing pieces over time. One person was selling 1, another person 2, or whatever to then create complete sets.

She had picked up a sterling silver serving platter that had a beautiful CC engraved on the back. The seller just thought it was someone random's piece. Well, with a little research she was able to determine that it was actually part of president Calvin Coolidge's personal collection.

Knowing what I know, sometime down the road when the time comes to help liquidate pieces, I am definitely going to take time and do it slowly and correctly, with the help of someone, such as yourself, who knows what they are doing.
Old 2 October 2021, 07:34 AM   #158
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

OP: are you putting this piece back in the market ?
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 07:46 AM   #159
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Someone buy this and get it open!

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 08:32 AM   #160
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
It’s not junk at all. Seller has been clear that it can’t be opened. Even in the orig listing it was obviously buyer beware. I have too much respect for others than to return something that so obviously a gamble. I have too much self respect than to do that. The caseback was marred, it’s so obvious that it’s a roll of the dice. It still is and I suspect most on this board would agree with me.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 08:52 AM   #161
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
It’s not junk at all. Seller has been clear that it can’t be opened. Even in the orig listing it was obviously buyer beware. I have too much respect for others than to return something that so obviously a gamble. I have too much self respect than to do that. The caseback was marred, it’s so obvious that it’s a roll of the dice. It still is and I suspect most on this board would agree with me.
Awesome. You buy it and keep us posted with your progress!

What we know for sure is there are parts that can be separated and sold.

Agreed. Buyer was a douche. Let's watch as this plays out!
Old 2 October 2021, 11:10 AM   #162
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

I got outbid the first time and I’m thinking of making an offer. Thanks for your heartfelt encouragement
Old 2 October 2021, 11:43 AM   #163
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Quote:
I got outbid the first time and I’m thinking of making an offer. Thanks for your heartfelt encouragement
Did you buy it?

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 12:36 PM   #164
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

No! But I bet he gets it open. Let’s hope someone on here tells the tale.
Old 2 October 2021, 04:12 PM   #165
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
Someone buy this and get it open!

I want that perdón to be me :)
Old 2 October 2021, 04:17 PM   #166
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I guess we have a Mexican standoff :)
Old 3 October 2021, 02:15 AM   #167
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLimon View Post
OP: are you putting this piece back in the market ?

I already did and it sold for the 2nd time in 2 days. The first buyer backed out and I had to relist, the 2nd buyer hasn't paid yet.

In the meantime, I was lucky enough to purchase the lil' vintage beauty below at a local estate sale along with some antique/vintage jewelry. Now, I haven't taken it to the watchmaker as of yet to have her opened up, but I'm about 98% sure she's authentic? You alls thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2328-001.jpg (92.9 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2326-001.jpg (49.2 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2327-001.jpg (44.6 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2329-001.jpg (59.3 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2330-001.jpg (42.7 KB, 274 views)
Old 3 October 2021, 02:17 AM   #168
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

@Mendota, great story and I'd be happy to help if I can and when you need it.
Old 3 October 2021, 02:39 AM   #169
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I already did and it sold for the 2nd time in 2 days. The first buyer backed out and I had to relist, the 2nd buyer hasn't paid yet.

In the meantime, I was lucky enough to purchase the lil' vintage beauty below at a local estate sale along with some antique/vintage jewelry. Now, I haven't taken it to the watchmaker as of yet to have her opened up, but I'm about 98% sure she's authentic? You alls thoughts?
That's pretty! Nice find. Where do you usually go to find these beauties? Are these estate sales at someone's residence? With this one, with Rolex on the dial did they have it priced accurately?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 3 October 2021, 03:16 AM   #170
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's pretty! Nice find. Where do you usually go to find these beauties? Are these estate sales at someone's residence? With this one, with Rolex on the dial did they have it priced accurately?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Thank you!

They're local estates here in the Tri-State (NJ, PA, DE) area, and we try to hit the ones being run my the family members or the like, not professionally run (that's where you'd pay top-dollar).

We gathered all we wanted into this little baggie and asked them how much? It cost us $1K for all you see below including the watch. There's $1.7K+ just in scrap gold, not including the watch, pearls or gold & jade bracelet......that bracelet will probably fetch $1K - $3K on its own. You have to be quick (not fast) because there's a lot of competition there looking to do the same. I hope this answers your question?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2331 (1)-001.jpg (140.8 KB, 272 views)
Old 3 October 2021, 03:31 AM   #171
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Now that piece I have 0 interest.
Old 3 October 2021, 03:43 AM   #172
dhknola
"TRF" Member

NICE SATCHEL Jo! Whew, those are the buys that get me out of bed in the morning, that jade bracelet will fetch a nice sum! Great buy!
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 03:47 AM   #173
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
Good Luck with the Tudor!!

And I really like the OP Date!! I would love to find something like that for my wife.

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 05:05 AM   #174
Steve in SoCal
"TRF" Member

Interested in how sale #2 plays out. Good luck to all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 08:42 AM   #175
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLimon View Post
Now that piece I have 0 interest.
Awwwwww, maaaaaaan! Who doesn't want a '68 OP Date?
Old 3 October 2021, 08:43 AM   #176
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
NICE SATCHEL Jo! Whew, those are the buys that get me out of bed in the morning, that jade bracelet will fetch a nice sum! Great buy!

Agreed and thank you so much! It was a very good grab.
Old 3 October 2021, 08:44 AM   #177
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari308 View Post
Good Luck with the Tudor!!

And I really like the OP Date!! I would love to find something like that for my wife.

PDG

Thank you and this piece will be up for sale soon if you're interested? It'll be a good X-Mas gift!
Old 3 October 2021, 08:47 AM   #178
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

@Steve In SoCal, Thank you so much, I hope so as well!
Old 7 October 2021, 02:52 PM   #179
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you!

They're local estates here in the Tri-State (NJ, PA, DE) area, and we try to hit the ones being run my the family members or the like, not professionally run (that's where you'd pay top-dollar).

We gathered all we wanted into this little baggie and asked them how much? It cost us $1K for all you see below including the watch. There's $1.7K+ just in scrap gold, not including the watch, pearls or gold & jade bracelet......that bracelet will probably fetch $1K - $3K on its own. You have to be quick (not fast) because there's a lot of competition there looking to do the same. I hope this answers your question?

Carefully walking the line. Not sure how comfortable I’ll be doing that.
Old 10 October 2021, 04:12 AM   #180
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
The buyer in question (F1models on ebay and demof1 on watchuseek) just deleted all of the pics on this watch over at watchuseek now.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/5333183/

Just a con man at heart.

OP, keep us updated. Hope he returned the actual watch to you.

I'd just like to update you and all who have been following this thread/watch/trauma/sh!t show/whatever with the original con-artist buyer.

eBay re-reviewed (first time this has ever happened to me or heard of such a thing) the case and ruled in my favor! They released the negative $3.7K on my account and re-released the funds back into my account. They also took both negative feedbacks (and the only ones I've ever received in 10+ years) off as well that he left. Karma finally caught-up with his a$$! Good!! I can now put this nightmare behind me, thank goodness!

The watch was returned and resold already to another buyer here in the States.