The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 June 2014, 01:30 AM   #151
Mack Bolan
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Stay a little longer on this forum and you'll quickly discover that Rolex doesn't give a rats rectum about our opinions.
You don't think they listened when they brought back the "darker bluesy" dial on the Subc TT Blue? Wasn't that a response to customers wanting the old bluesy back?
Mack Bolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 01:32 AM   #152
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
- Rolex offering the new "Pepsi" GMT II in WG only.
What??? Hold the phone!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 01:38 AM   #153
Bernie.H.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Look I know I'm beating a dead horse so I'll apologize right now for what I'm about to say but I want a 42MM diver that has a proportional case like the Exp II and doesn't weight 4 pounds. The new SDc is awesome I just want it to be a tad bigger. This lack of a 42MM diver that isn't to heavy to wear to me is a real mistake.
Bingo !
Bernie.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 02:41 AM   #154
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Rolex doesn't make mistakes.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 02:47 AM   #155
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / SUBCLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Engraving on the Rehaut.

Reminds me of a Louis Vuitton bag.

Nothing wrong with a little bit of Vuitton ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Brucie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 03:09 AM   #156
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmanmarcus View Post
We always look back fondly on the past.

As mentioned above...in 20 years we may be saying 'Look at the ceramic, such an innovation back then.'
I wish they made a two-tone bezel that didn't fade or scratch. I wish they put extra seals in the crown to better inhibit moisture from getting to the moving parts. I wish they would make more solid bracelets that could quickly adjust if my wrist shrunk or expanded. I wish they would make dial parts that wouldn't corrode over the years. I wish they would make a distinctive lume color that would glow all night. I wish they would use better steel so my watch would not corrode over time. I wish they would not be so conservative and add a slightly bigger watch or two to their offering. I wish they would offer distinctive watch colors to differentiate from the homage chasers. I wish they would put an anti-reflective coating under their Cyclops so I could better see the date in all lighting conditions. I wish they would raise prices on new models so my old models would hold their value. I wish... I wish... I wish...

Rolex' biggest mistake is resting on their laurels from 50 years ago, when men were men and watches wore out. ... But if they could only make a more durable watch, that is fancy, but not too fancy, that's cheap for me but expensive for everyone else, that is unique but classic, and that will only appreciate in value, instead they screwed it all up.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 03:18 AM   #157
Landshark33

Watch: SubC
Quote:
Look I know I'm beating a dead horse so I'll apologize right now for what I'm about to say but I want a 42MM diver that has a proportional case like the Exp II and doesn't weight 4 pounds. The new SDc is awesome I just want it to be a tad bigger. This lack of a 42MM diver that isn't to heavy to wear to me is a real mistake.
x2
Landshark33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 03:22 AM   #158
Landshark33

Watch: SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseg View Post
I wish they made a two-tone bezel that didn't fade or scratch. I wish they put extra seals in the crown to better inhibit moisture from getting to the moving parts. I wish they would make more solid bracelets that could quickly adjust if my wrist shrunk or expanded. I wish they would make dial parts that wouldn't corrode over the years. I wish they would make a distinctive lume color that would glow all night. I wish they would use better steel so my watch would not corrode over time. I wish they would not be so conservative and add a slightly bigger watch or two to their offering. I wish they would offer distinctive watch colors to differentiate from the homage chasers. I wish they would put an anti-reflective coating under their Cyclops so I could better see the date in all lighting conditions. I wish they would raise prices on new models so my old models would hold their value. I wish... I wish... I wish...

Rolex' biggest mistake is resting on their laurels from 50 years ago, when men were men and watches wore out. ... But if they could only make a more durable watch, that is fancy, but not too fancy, that's cheap for me but expensive for everyone else, that is unique but classic, and that will only appreciate in value, instead they screwed it all up.
Well said.
Landshark33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 03:22 AM   #159
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark33 View Post
x2
x3
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 03:35 AM   #160
RollieVerde
Banned

I love the notion that because Rolex doesn't always do what you want, that means they don't listen to you. All I can say is thank God they don't do what so many people on these forums want them to do. Since most that buy dive watches in these circles don't even dive, I for one am glad that they have taken watches like the Submariner and just made them better for those of us that do. The watch is tougher, more durable, made of more non-corrosive materials and has a more accurate movement and a far better bracelet than the Submariners of yore. With reasonable care, it will last longer and still look newer compared with the old models, and isn't a huge chunk of crap compared with so many other "popular" dive watches that are ludicrously large (the DSSD excepted, which is a different animal than the Submariner) and seem to be aimed at the types that never get them wet. Such wearers even put them on straps that aren't designed to deal with lengthy submersions as if to reinforce that they're all about fashion and image, not actual diving. And people say the new Submariner isn't a tool watch. I think that thanks to incremental improvements (especially the last few years) it's better as a dive watch than it's ever been.
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 07:19 AM   #161
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
I am fairly new to the Rolex game so am not in any way well informed. Have worn one for quite a few years but still really only learning. Not so sure about Rolex making mistakes and would be inclined to think that they are so well experienced that they know what they are doing. Reality is that they are in the business of making money first and foremost, and whilst they continue to make a top end product, that means selling new watches to as many people as possible. Maybe this accounts for their move from the tool watch look in their sports range, to a more jewellery look? No doubt though that their build quality and technical innovation however is better than ever!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 07:42 AM   #162
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I would really prefer it if they removed some of that writing on their dials.

It's too much and t's just a poor design choice.

Every single watch doesn't need to say "Oyster Perpetual", "Oyster Perpetual Date" or "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified"

Other watch brands get called out all the time for having dials that are too busy or have too much writing. There is just no need for it.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 08:12 AM   #163
c.rod
"TRF" Member

i think its a safe bet that most people would agree the "original gas escape valve" writing on the DSSD is pretty gawdy... not that it would stop me from buying one. just an observation
Old 12 June 2014, 08:15 AM   #164
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I would really prefer it if they removed some of that writing on their dials.

It's too much and t's just a poor design choice.

Every single watch doesn't need to say "Oyster Perpetual", "Oyster Perpetual Date" or "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified"

Other watch brands get called out all the time for having dials that are too busy or have too much writing. There is just no need for it.
They don't need to say all that but they have for so long that it's now expected.

I, for one, love all that stuff, but I've been looking at Rolex dials for over 40 years...
Old 12 June 2014, 08:53 AM   #165
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
They don't need to say all that but they have for so long that it's now expected.

I, for one, love all that stuff, but I've been looking at Rolex dials for over 40 years...
I agree, it's not talked about often here but one thing I really love about my Subc is the dial font, logo and crown it uses. I much prefer it to my old Planet Ocean dial and is one reason why aesthetically I prefer most Rolexes to Omegas.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 09:05 AM   #166
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseg View Post

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 10:47 AM   #167
mikebreezy3000

Watch: 116613LB
[QUOTE=To stimulate discussion, i guess. [B]Makes a change from 'Your Rolex with a Plate of Food' type of posts.[[/B]/QUOTE]

LOL!!!
mikebreezy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 10:51 AM   #168
mikebreezy3000

Watch: 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
To stimulate discussion, i guess. Makes a change from 'Your Rolex with a Plate of Food' type of posts.
LOL!!!
mikebreezy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 02:48 PM   #169
phils
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Too wide lugs on Sub. Too short hands on the Exp. Lume does not last near as long as it should.
phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 09:06 PM   #170
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Taking 3 months to service a watch when they charge you $1000 for the privilege.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 10:28 PM   #171
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Lume and chamfers...
I really feel that they could learn a lesson from little brother Tudor. I guess more of a wish for me rather than a "mistake".

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 10:43 PM   #172
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The pelagos may be your watch.
jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 10:47 PM   #173
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.rod View Post
x3
×4
jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 10:47 PM   #174
StaceeJaxx
Banned

Not making the GMT Master in the Explorer 42mm case. That would be the perfect pilot watch. The SDC is the perfect dive watch which they finally got right.
StaceeJaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 11:56 PM   #175
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceeJaxx View Post
Not making the GMT Master in the Explorer 42mm case. That would be the perfect pilot watch. The SDC is the perfect dive watch which they finally got right.
If they made the gmt 2 in a 42mm i would be all over that
Old 13 June 2014, 12:16 AM   #176
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.rod View Post
If they made the gmt 2 in a 42mm i would be all over that
They already do. It's called the Explorer II and it even comes in two dial colors. We don't need every model in every size imaginable. If you want a Rolex that has a GMT function and is 42mm there is already a model that exists.

It's just as ridiculous as people asking for 42mm Submariners. Just get the DSSD, is 2mm difference either direction really that important that Rolex should listen?
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote