The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2023, 02:19 PM   #151
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
That is the dude that puts chains in it IIRC. Had a chance to meet him one time but I was like who? Me = noob.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 04:10 PM   #152
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Seems like it. Inquired on the RG website about the grey dial bracelet model. No response whatsoever.
I was not able to get a response from the website too hence I visited an AD that carries RG.

Or you can PM @MJaber here. He works at RG and is very helpful and responsive.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 04:41 PM   #153
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I remember going to a Zoom announcement thing with ALS through my AD. Could have ordered one but with the round case to me it seemed like a trying to hard kind of cash in piece. I should have bought one anyway and stuck it in the bank safe.
when covid panic first started nothing was selling, and i stopped by a boutique just to see what they had. they just got in a stainless odysseus. never purchased anything before but they said buy anything else in here and it's yours, even a 15k saxonia thin. i thought meh prices will drop and i wont need to bundle with anything soon enough.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 04:51 PM   #154
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
when covid panic first started nothing was selling, and i stopped by a boutique just to see what they had. they just got in a stainless odysseus. never purchased anything before but they said buy anything else in here and it's yours, even a 15k saxonia thin. i thought meh prices will drop and i wont need to bundle with anything soon enough.
Same here, I remember walking in to look at the 1815 chronograph and the Dato but they were practically trying to push me into the Odysseus. Hindsight...
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 09:36 PM   #155
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Same here, I remember walking in to look at the 1815 chronograph and the Dato but they were practically trying to push me into the Odysseus. Hindsight...
Interesting that was their attitude at first since at some point later they decided it was to be a relationship piece for preexisting clients…unless that was decided by each boutique.
Armis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 12:44 AM   #156
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

I never got the Odysseus. Would not buy one, even with a discount...
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 12:47 AM   #157
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Interesting that was their attitude at first since at some point later they decided it was to be a relationship piece for preexisting clients…unless that was decided by each boutique.
The reception probably wasn’t great at first so they had to try a bit harder, then Covid hit and things went crazy.

I still have the WhatsApp message somewhere of the salesperson asking me immediately after my visit if I was interested in the Odysseus because there would be a price increase soon. Then a year later the same salesperson telling me I have to spend at least $50K+ to get on a wait list for at least a year to be allocated a watch
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:08 AM   #158
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I’ve been interested in acquiring a couple AP but I had an experience this weekend at the boutique that just about killed any interest. Called ahead for an appointment, they said just to walk in. So I did and talked with an SA who gave off the attitude that I was wasting her time.

They of course didn’t have any new AP on display but they had a “vintage” collection. Some 15400st and some older chronos. They also had a 1980s 5402. I asked to try on a chrono and the 5402. She reluctantly got them out of the case. I asked a few basic questions about them and she didn’t really know any of the answers or seem to have any interest in the watches. The prices were also absurd. Like beyond peak grey pricing from the beginning of 2022. I think it was $140k on the 5402 and 88k on a 39mm chrono. The 5402 was a pretty poor over-polished example. I’ve seen better for sale recently for $55k.

Then I asked about how to start off collecting AP and she quoted the same tired line of “build brand loyalty by buying other models and having diversity”. Ok so any royal oak? No, ok how about an offshore? No nothing with the name royal. Ok so basically pay triple grey pricing for a poor example of a used watch and then we may be able to offer you the privilege of overpaying for a new one?

I might revisit them in a few years but they clearly aren’t interested in attracting customers right now and building longevity.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:12 AM   #159
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I was not able to get a response from the website too hence I visited an AD that carries RG.

Or you can PM @MJaber here. He works at RG and is very helpful and responsive.
Thank you!
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:35 AM   #160
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwly View Post
What happened with your continuum quest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I made several inquiries with RG on their website and left info with them so they could email me. My next attempt at this will be to call Cellini again. My SA at Cellini left and I don't really have any pul with them.
I'm not entirely sure how to approach this because I no longer have any contacts in the watch biz.
Thanks for asking.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:53 AM   #161
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
I’ve been interested in acquiring a couple AP but I had an experience this weekend at the boutique that just about killed any interest. Called ahead for an appointment, they said just to walk in. So I did and talked with an SA who gave off the attitude that I was wasting her time.

They of course didn’t have any new AP on display but they had a “vintage” collection. Some 15400st and some older chronos. They also had a 1980s 5402. I asked to try on a chrono and the 5402. She reluctantly got them out of the case. I asked a few basic questions about them and she didn’t really know any of the answers or seem to have any interest in the watches. The prices were also absurd. Like beyond peak grey pricing from the beginning of 2022. I think it was $140k on the 5402 and 88k on a 39mm chrono. The 5402 was a pretty poor over-polished example. I’ve seen better for sale recently for $55k.

Then I asked about how to start off collecting AP and she quoted the same tired line of “build brand loyalty by buying other models and having diversity”. Ok so any royal oak? No, ok how about an offshore? No nothing with the name royal. Ok so basically pay triple grey pricing for a poor example of a used watch and then we may be able to offer you the privilege of overpaying for a new one?

I might revisit them in a few years but they clearly aren’t interested in attracting customers right now and building longevity.

I always wonder why they don’t just shut down the boutiques entirely and just mail out watches for existing clients. At least no one else will bother their SAs in store anymore

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 02:03 AM   #162
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I made several inquiries with RG on their website and left info with them so they could email me. My next attempt at this will be to call Cellini again. My SA at Cellini left and I don't really have any pul with them.
I'm not entirely sure how to approach this because I no longer have any contacts in the watch biz.
Thanks for asking.

I’d reach out to Romain Gauthier himself on instagram. He personally answers that account

126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 02:54 AM   #163
knyshcollection
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear the way you've been treated/feeling, that really isn't right on their part
knyshcollection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 05:16 AM   #164
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Was this an AP boutique or a random AD boutique?
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 05:43 AM   #165
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

This doesnt sound like a corporate owned boutique. Only ADs will have used pieces for sale.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 07:14 AM   #166
FrmrHoss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
For this, and some of the other "Goodbye AP" post in this thread, I'm curious what the goal was? Certainly one doesn't need to spend $500k to secure an allocation of a standard production RO or ROC. At that level, and with some patience (measured in years, not weeks), a steel Jumbo or open worked or a somewhat limited few-hundred piece LE, would be in the cards. If on the other hand the object of desire is something truly low production (like an RD3, tourbillon openworked or ceramic openworked QP), one needs to be realistic about one's place in the food chain. If a boutique get's one piece a year for a watch that 10 of their best customers with 7-figure+ spent have asked for, then not being considered for it is not a personal slight.
I'll chime in here. I really just wanted a PM Royal Oak on bracelet, of any variety (ideally a jumbo, but was recognizing that ask). My biggest issue here is that I don't have any "trust" in the patience being rewarded. I'll tell you that I think it was even back in 2017 or 2018 I had expressed this interest to a SA I had a relationship with, and then they left the brand and 5 years later I'm back to where I started (I also once had a local AD that I did my business with, they lost the brand and I was effectively told I had to start anew). I'm never going to be someone that has 5-10 APs, so not asking to leapfrog anyone in line and would be happy to wait 5-10 years so long as someone remembered that was something I was interested in.

Contrast that with Patek - I had/have a relationship with my local AD who carries Patek. I had told him some years in advance I had a career milestone in mind, and when it happened, I wanted to commemorate that with a Patek (specifically, a 5726). And I told him the same thing, I'm sure he's got more important PP clients, not looking for any favors, just at some point, when he's taken care of his VICs, just know that that is the watch I want for this moment and I'll be ready when the time came. I hit that milestone the year the blue dial 5726/1A-014 came out. Not only did he come through for me, but he had me one within 3 months of the promotion.

I know that's probably an unfair standard to hold AP and I'm helped out by the fact that he's local and have been able to develop a personal relationship over 6-7 years now, but I can't help but feel like my AP relationships have always been the total polar opposite. Never any trust that they would come through no matter how patient you are, and frequently offering me things that are not the thing I've asked for with the "well, this would really help your chances...." Hell, at some point, if they came to me with a package deal of "buy these 2 and this PM RO" I'd probably take it, but there's no trust that "buy these 2" will turn into an offer of a PM RO down the line. And I know they are in a very tough spot too where they have a bunch of hands always reaching for the same watches, but they also make it feel very transactional where you feel like you're just a wallet and not a client to them.
FrmrHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 07:56 AM   #167
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They of course didn’t have any new AP on display but they had a “vintage” collection. Some 15400st and some older chronos. They also had a 1980s 5402.
I've never seen a vintage for-sale section in an AP boutique, and I've been to quite a few of them. Curious where this was? On the other hand, all the boutiques I've been to lately had a decent selection of exhibition/demo models.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 08:21 AM   #168
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmrHoss View Post
I know that's probably an unfair standard to hold AP and I'm helped out by the fact that he's local and have been able to develop a personal relationship over 6-7 years now, but I can't help but feel like my AP relationships have always been the total polar opposite. Never any trust that they would come through no matter how patient you are, and frequently offering me things that are not the thing I've asked for with the "well, this would really help your chances...." Hell, at some point, if they came to me with a package deal of "buy these 2 and this PM RO" I'd probably take it, but there's no trust that "buy these 2" will turn into an offer of a PM RO down the line. And I know they are in a very tough spot too where they have a bunch of hands always reaching for the same watches, but they also make it feel very transactional where you feel like you're just a wallet and not a client to them.
Interesting, shows how much experiences vary, with a lot of it just happenstance.
I don't think an on-the-spot package deal is very likely with AP, so some level of trust would be required. But I don't think I've seen many posts where AP continued to just string people along after buying a CODE/ROO, unlike some of the jewelry-buying experiences in the Rolex section.

Finally, the PM Jumbos have turned from readily available to some of the hottest models over the last five years. When I asked my boutique mid-summer last year, there were no PM RO or ROCs allocations of any kind left for the rest of the 2022, and a PM (YG) Jumbo was just a flat out "not possible". For regular PM RO/ROCs I expect next year to be easier (for reference, in the end I got a 50th ceramic ROC, so I do think they sort of like me and trust their info).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 10:16 AM   #169
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I noticed a ton of unworn 15510s show up on numerous TS/grey websites this week. Must be a big shipment that went to the “vetted” customers. Great job AP. It is clearly working.
Old 18 January 2023, 11:05 AM   #170
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
All this makes me very glad 1. I got my ROC in 2018. And 2. I don’t have much desire for another one at the moment.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:18 AM   #171
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've never seen a vintage for-sale section in an AP boutique, and I've been to quite a few of them. Curious where this was? On the other hand, all the boutiques I've been to lately had a decent selection of exhibition/demo models.
its not for sale...if he's talking about NYC boutique. They just display some older pieces for little exhibits.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 12:46 PM   #172
FrmrHoss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting, shows how much experiences vary, with a lot of it just happenstance.
I don't think an on-the-spot package deal is very likely with AP, so some level of trust would be required. But I don't think I've seen many posts where AP continued to just string people along after buying a CODE/ROO, unlike some of the jewelry-buying experiences in the Rolex section.

Finally, the PM Jumbos have turned from readily available to some of the hottest models over the last five years. When I asked my boutique mid-summer last year, there were no PM RO or ROCs allocations of any kind left for the rest of the 2022, and a PM (YG) Jumbo was just a flat out "not possible". For regular PM RO/ROCs I expect next year to be easier (for reference, in the end I got a 50th ceramic ROC, so I do think they sort of like me and trust their info).
Put me in the category of "also bought a CODE" as well :) I get it completely on the Jumbos. I had to ask just to make it clear "if this were a possibility, I would send you the money before you finished the sentence." I'm trying to retain some optimism that next year would be better once they move out of the anniversary pieces, but honestly just the way things have been handled over the years I'm very likely to just sell all of my APs and double down on Patek.
Old 18 January 2023, 03:09 PM   #173
Mr.GL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
I noticed a ton of unworn 15510s show up on numerous TS/grey websites this week. Must be a big shipment that went to the “vetted” customers. Great job AP. It is clearly working.
To be fair, there is ton of other brands in grey market every week too, not just AP. This is how it is.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
Mr.GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 03:55 PM   #174
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:

Sorry to hear about your experience. It's a shame that some SA's can't handle clients with a bit more empathy. But since when did AP boutiques start selling pre-owned pieces? Am I missing something? Are you sure it was a corporate owned boutique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmrHoss View Post
I'll chime in here. I really just wanted a PM Royal Oak on bracelet, of any variety (ideally a jumbo, but was recognizing that ask). My biggest issue here is that I don't have any "trust" in the patience being rewarded. I'll tell you that I think it was even back in 2017 or 2018 I had expressed this interest to a SA I had a relationship with, and then they left the brand and 5 years later I'm back to where I started (I also once had a local AD that I did my business with, they lost the brand and I was effectively told I had to start anew). I'm never going to be someone that has 5-10 APs, so not asking to leapfrog anyone in line and would be happy to wait 5-10 years so long as someone remembered that was something I was interested in.

Contrast that with Patek - I had/have a relationship with my local AD who carries Patek. I had told him some years in advance I had a career milestone in mind, and when it happened, I wanted to commemorate that with a Patek (specifically, a 5726). And I told him the same thing, I'm sure he's got more important PP clients, not looking for any favors, just at some point, when he's taken care of his VICs, just know that that is the watch I want for this moment and I'll be ready when the time came. I hit that milestone the year the blue dial 5726/1A-014 came out. Not only did he come through for me, but he had me one within 3 months of the promotion.

Again, sorry to hear about your experience. I think it differs for everyone. It all seems to depend on which SA you talk to and if you hit it off or not. I had the exact opposite experience. My AP boutique treats me very well, while every attempt at a PP AD was the same as your AP experience. I almost gave up on PP entirely until recently when a good friend introduced me to his PP AD.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 02:14 AM   #175
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC / AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post

Again, sorry to hear about your experience. I think it differs for everyone. It all seems to depend on which SA you talk to and if you hit it off or not. I had the exact opposite experience. My AP boutique treats me very well, while every attempt at a PP AD was the same as your AP experience. I almost gave up on PP entirely until recently when a good friend introduced me to his PP AD.
I also think its how you go to the back of the line when your SA leaves which is an issue (which is what happened to me). Unless AP can guarantee that even if your SA leaves, as a first time buyer you won't be prejudiced, I think it is very difficult "waiting."
fatcows7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 02:26 AM   #176
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg1121 View Post
i noticed a ton of unworn 15510s show up on numerous ts/grey websites this week. Must be a big shipment that went to the “vetted” customers. Great job ap. It is clearly working.

lol
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 03:55 AM   #177
FrmrHoss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Appreciate it, but certainly not your place or responsibility to apologize! :) I feel the same way when I read people's stories about Patek too. So, guess we will all just take our respective blessings and hope that one day this all sorts itself out. Worst case, we've all got some nice watches.
Old 19 January 2023, 07:22 AM   #178
cornsyrup_bezel
"TRF" Member

With AP there seems to be a tier of collector who can obtain multiple royals oaks and desirable references. There is then another tier that has to buy a code. Seems like many patek collectors truly do have a range of dress and sports but with AP being relegated to the high pressure buy a code purgatory is tough to break out of.

Maybe many of the big AP collectors here have many more codes/ROO than i realize.
cornsyrup_bezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 01:41 AM   #179
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

The avatar has officially been changed and my last AP has been traded away. No more calls/texts from me to the AP boutique to beg for pieces any longer and not holding my breath that they will call me.

So consider at least one long term, pre-hype AP fan moving on from the brand. Not that they care!
Old 20 January 2023, 02:07 AM   #180
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
The avatar has officially been changed and my last AP has been traded away. No more calls/texts from me to the AP boutique to beg for pieces any longer and not holding my breath that they will call me.

So consider at least one long term, pre-hype AP fan moving on from the brand. Not that they care!
Good on you for sticking to your guns, though it’s disheartening to see. Didn’t you recently pick up a silver 15500? May I ask what you sold it for (or DM)?

Regardless, on to greener pastures. I’m sure there will be plenty of AD calls in your future.