The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2019, 05:32 AM   #151
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

I can't believe that is a new bracelet. Its not just the screw heads, the links are literally dented. I wonder if someone swapped the bracelet for an old one? I don't see how you could do that much damage to it by removing some links. What is the condition of the links they removed? Those would have been the ones damaged while trying to remove them I would think.
srleadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 11:37 AM   #152
5nit
Banned

Watch: DJ41
Reviving this thread. I have always known my screws felt rough but finally took the time to see why today. Screws are slightly damaged and it appears the links were grazed a little. Nothing like the OP of this thread. The other side of the watch is nice and smooth.

I do not have a good relationship with the AD I bought this particular one from but plan to stop in tomorrow. This dealer can never make a decision and can never handle anything themselves. Is it unreasonable to ask for replacement screws and 2 new links? If so, do they have these on hand?

I will be taking the links to a watch maker in town that is highly recommended.

And, I have another great relationship with a local AD. The purchase service from them ws night and day. Cheers.
5nit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 11:49 AM   #153
Tokyo Mike
Banned

Ask them to get their eyes checked.
Tokyo Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 11:52 AM   #154
faldoc
"TRF" Member

I don’t think I’d let an AD size anything for me.

Just don’t touch it, please...
faldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 11:52 AM   #155
GoPackGo!
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126333
f'd up!
GoPackGo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 11:52 AM   #156
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5nit View Post
Reviving this thread. I have always known my screws felt rough but finally took the time to see why today. Screws are slightly damaged and it appears the links were grazed a little. Nothing like the OP of this thread. The other side of the watch is nice and smooth.

I do not have a good relationship with the AD I bought this particular one from but plan to stop in tomorrow. This dealer can never make a decision and can never handle anything themselves. Is it unreasonable to ask for replacement screws and 2 new links? If so, do they have these on hand?

And, I have another great relationship with a local AD. The purchase service from them ws night and day. Cheers.

They might take care of the screws as they are fairly inexpensive. I think replacing the links may be tough. Do you wear the watch fully linked? If not, maybe have the AD you like put them on and replace the screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 12:02 PM   #157
5nit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
They might take care of the screws as they are fairly inexpensive. I think replacing the links may be tough. Do you wear the watch fully linked? If not, maybe have the AD you like put them on and replace the screws.

I looked at them under a 10x and the link that was removed plus two links on the bracelet are slightly damaged. And all those screws are not great.

I remember the older guy resizing the bracelet and he tried a few different screw drivers. I noted this was odd at first but was just so happy to have this watch finally.

Say I need a couple links, can these be ordered and what is the cost of these?

Old 8 July 2019, 12:13 PM   #158
grimps
"TRF" Member

Ive had it happen twice to me over the years , both times I took them back and had the screws replaced from the dealer .
I actually watched one salesman in Dubai size my new Sub for me a few years ago and he made a right mess of it.
They should always use an induction heater to melt the locktight glue first , then use the correct size screwdriver for the bracelet , Rolex should ensure that all dealers use their tool kits
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 12:16 PM   #159
5nit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
Ive had it happen twice to me over the years , both times I took them back and had the screws replaced from the dealer .

I actually watched one salesman in Dubai size my new Sub for me a few years ago and he made a right mess of it.

They should always use an induction heater to melt the locktight glue first , then use the correct size screwdriver for the bracelet , Rolex should ensure that all dealers use their tool kits

The guy that did mine “in his 70’s” used the Rolex tools but I swear half the time he was unsure what tools to use.

Old 8 July 2019, 12:20 PM   #160
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The guy that did mine “in his 70’s” used the Rolex tools but I swear half the time he was unsure what tools to use.

My AD in the UK showed me all of the Rolex kit that they used , they have different colour screwdrivers for the different material and size bracelets , they're colour coded to make it idiot proof.
The dealer has to buy these kits from Rolex and the induction heater
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 12:51 PM   #161
5nit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
My AD in the UK showed me all of the Rolex kit that they used , they have different colour screwdrivers for the different material and size bracelets , they're colour coded to make it idiot proof.

The dealer has to buy these kits from Rolex and the induction heater

Well I don’t want to say anything bad. At one point I helped him find the dropped screw on the floor. Thankfully we found it.

Old 8 July 2019, 12:58 PM   #162
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanesque23 View Post
just wanted to get your thoughts on what i should do about a brand new (unworn with stickers) white op 39 that i bought four days ago from an ad. Exchange for a bnew watch or opt for link replacement?

Bought the watch in store and ad offered to resize the bracelet and ship out of state to save on taxes. Upon receiving the package, i inspected the new watch and was disappointed to see that the screw pins got mangled and the links were scratched during the adjustment. I was so disappointed since it's my first time to pay msrp from an ad. It totally ruined the experience and the excitement of having my first rolex watch. I was under the assumption that they would take care of the watch during sizing.

I'm heading to the ad tomorrow to discuss the issue but first i want to get your thoughts if it's reasonable for me to ask for a bnew replacement watch or should i just settle for link replacement. Tbh, i'm leaning towards the former since i paid for a bnew watch to ensure that it's free from any blemishes. Also, all the stickers are still in place and haven't worn it yet. I'm worried that they might damage the screws again if i opt for the link replacement.

Attached are some images for your reference. And any inputs and feedback are appreciated. Thanks.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'M Blind! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 01:07 PM   #163
3ther
"TRF" Member

AD damaged screws and links on a new watch. Exchange watch or replace links?

Quote:

If a Situation like that arose in store, yes, the shop I work at would have no problem taking care of the screws. Each ORJ is different, but we usually have most screws for commonly purchased watches available. Ladies’ watches or PM would likely need to be ordered.

SS links might be an agreeable replacement and the store would eat the $65/link cost, but rolesor or pm links could be different. As always, ymmv, but it’s worth asking. Bear in mind that you always catch more flies with honey rather than vinegar though.
3ther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 01:11 PM   #164
5nit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ther View Post
If a Situation like that arose in store, yes, the shop I work at would have no problem taking care of the screws. Each ORJ is different, but we usually have most screws for commonly purchased watches available. Ladies’ watches or PM would likely need to be ordered.

SS links might be an agreeable replacement and the store would eat the $65/link cost, but rolesor or pm links could be different. As always, ymmv, but it’s worth asking. Bear in mind that you always catch more flies with honey rather than vinegar though.

Okay thanks. I’m going to go tomorrow and see what can happen. As I mentioned, I do not have a good relationship at this AD.

Stopped in at my good relationship AD yesterday and the salesman I deal with invited me for coffee and a chat for an hour. And I’m a nobody.

Old 8 July 2019, 01:15 PM   #165
3ther
"TRF" Member

AD damaged screws and links on a new watch. Exchange watch or replace links?

Quote:
Okay thanks. I’m going to go tomorrow and see what can happen. As I mentioned, I do not have a good relationship at this AD.

Stopped in at my good relationship AD yesterday and the salesman I deal with invited me for coffee and a chat for an hour. And I’m a nobody.

Good luck! Good relationship or not, it’s worth a shot. It’s principle more than anything. I know I’ve replaced screws for people I’ve never met before. Good business practices Not sure where you’re located, but if you’re in NJ, I’d be happy to help
3ther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 01:17 PM   #166
acfcheung
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K for now
Absolutely unacceptable, I can do a better job than that and I'm very clumsy.

Hope you at least get some new links in.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
acfcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 01:19 PM   #167
5nit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ther View Post
Good luck! Good relationship or not, it’s worth a shot. It’s principle more than anything. I know I’ve replaced screws for people I’ve never met before. Good business practices Not sure where you’re located, but if you’re in NJ, I’d be happy to help

I have a service background also and this AD was just poor all around. Their google reviews also speak to this.

Up in Canada! This Rolex was bought May 4th so shouldn’t be an issue.

Thanks for your help.

Old 8 July 2019, 01:19 PM   #168
5nit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfcheung View Post
Absolutely unacceptable, I can do a better job than that and I'm very clumsy.

Hope you at least get some new links in.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

I’m not the OP, but I’m going to see if I can get mine replaced tomorrow.